Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 7392461 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28485 on: May 15, 2018, 09:20:39 AM »
Peterson reminds me of Joseph Campbell and when he gets into self-help territory its like Deepak Chopra lol.

He's a psuedointellectual polite Canadian who rails against "postmodern Neo-Marxism" but doesn't understand what Marxism is. He's supposedly the guy to give the alt-right some intellectual credibility. That's like saying he's the fastest kid at fat camp lol.

I just haven't found anything of his worth listening/reading.

A couple of thoughts: My interactions with his material is fairly limited because his interlocutors and/or endorsers speak for themselves. Birds of a feather, you know. He also takes 15,000 words to say what he could in 2,000, and — to paraphrase someone else — he makes every sentence sound like a dire dying declaration.

The whole Jungian reading of Christianity at this point seems like a parlor trick for frat bros who want to seem deep.

TL;DR: He's the alt-right's answer to Zizek, but 500 percent less fun. Zizek at least knows he's a clown.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline BrotherInChrist

• Faith: Inquiring Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR Western Rite
« Reply #28486 on: May 15, 2018, 10:23:09 AM »
Just a few more weeks before I'll be heading off to graduate school.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #28487 on: May 15, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »
(From personal experience) why is it that the Native Americans blame the bible on everything? It gave you your morals.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:44:06 AM by Jackson02 »
"Don't keep Orthodoxy to yourself as if it were some private treasure. Share it!"

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28488 on: May 15, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »
(From personal experience) why is it always the Native Americans who blame the bible on everything? It gave your morals.

Text without context is just pseudo-sexposition. Or something.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:44:25 AM by Asteriktos »
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #28489 on: May 15, 2018, 10:48:58 AM »
(From personal experience) why is it that the Native Americans blame the bible on everything?

It's not right to "blame the bible [for] everything" and I highly doubt many people do this. That said, it's a fair point to say that European colonizers used parts of the Bible, particularly those dealing with the wars against the Canaanites, to justify their genocidal campaign across the Americas. Or have you never heard of Manifest Destiny? Likewise Christianization was used as a ploy to destroy indigenous families and cultures and subjugate, exploit, and rape native children. So it is perfectly understandable why some might harbor a resentment toward the Christianity that was thrust upon them, which is in fact a Satanic caricature and worthy of all execration.

It gave you your morals.

What a bizarre, insane, and evil statement.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
« Reply #28490 on: May 15, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
(From personal experience) why is it that the Native Americans blame the bible on everything?

It's not right to "blame the bible [for] everything" and I highly doubt many people do this. That said, it's a fair point to say that European colonizers used parts of the Bible, particularly those dealing with the wars against the Canaanites, to justify their genocidal campaign across the Americas. Or have you never heard of Manifest Destiny? Likewise Christianization was used as a ploy to destroy indigenous families and cultures and subjugate, exploit, and rape native children. So it is perfectly understandable why some might harbor a resentment toward the Christianity that was thrust upon them, which is in fact a Satanic caricature and worthy of all execration.

It gave you your morals.

What a bizarre, insane, and evil statement.
Thank you for your take on this situation.
"Don't keep Orthodoxy to yourself as if it were some private treasure. Share it!"

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28491 on: May 15, 2018, 12:19:13 PM »
(From personal experience) why is it that the Native Americans blame the bible on everything? It gave you your morals.

I'm more surprised that you've met any Native Americans, I've never met any in my whole life.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
« Reply #28492 on: May 15, 2018, 01:55:49 PM »

I'm more surprised that you've met any Native Americans, I've never met any in my whole life.

I live near a Native American college.

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
« Reply #28493 on: May 15, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
Bulgarian schema monks look like wizards.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:35:10 PM by Jackson02 »

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28494 on: May 15, 2018, 03:30:12 PM »
Peterson reminds me of Joseph Campbell and when he gets into self-help territory its like Deepak Chopra lol.

He's a psuedointellectual polite Canadian who rails against "postmodern Neo-Marxism" but doesn't understand what Marxism is. He's supposedly the guy to give the alt-right some intellectual credibility. That's like saying he's the fastest kid at fat camp lol.

I just haven't found anything of his worth listening/reading.

A couple of thoughts: My interactions with his material is fairly limited because his interlocutors and/or endorsers speak for themselves. Birds of a feather, you know. He also takes 15,000 words to say what he could in 2,000, and — to paraphrase someone else — he makes every sentence sound like a dire dying declaration.

The whole Jungian reading of Christianity at this point seems like a parlor trick for frat bros who want to seem deep.

TL;DR: He's the alt-right's answer to Zizek, but 500 percent less fun. Zizek at least knows he's a clown.

Uh-oh, insulting St. Slavoj. Not gonna go down well, brah...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:39:33 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28495 on: May 15, 2018, 03:34:20 PM »
Maybe I run in different circles, but I don't see a lot of bitterness towards Christianity qua among the Alaska Natives and Lower 48 Natives that I've met, just in a lot of cases a desire to syncretize it with their ancestor's beliefs (like the "Catholic-Quaker-Pagan" who fully admits that Rome wouldn't approve, but doesn't care).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:35:43 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28496 on: May 15, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
Maybe I run in different circles, but I don't see a lot of bitterness towards Christianity qua among the Alaska Natives and Lower 48 Natives that I've met, just in a lot of cases a desire to syncretize it with their ancestor's beliefs (like the "Catholic-Quaker-Pagan" who fully admits that Rome wouldn't approve, but doesn't care).
Alaska has a completely different relationship between missionaries and natives, though... Here in Brazil, natives I've met were bitter toward Christianity, but I had the impression urbanisation made them enter in contact with Umbanda religion and left-wing ideology. Maybe the few original Christian villages left are a whole other deal.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28497 on: May 15, 2018, 04:04:58 PM »
Alaska has a completely different relationship between missionaries and natives, though... Here in Brazil, natives I've met were bitter toward Christianity, but I had the impression urbanisation made them enter in contact with Umbanda religion and left-wing ideology. Maybe the few original Christian villages left are a whole other deal.

True. I was mostly responding to Jackson, who I think is in the US.
I do stuff.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28498 on: May 15, 2018, 04:07:59 PM »
I meant a completely different relationship than anywhere else in the US.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28499 on: May 15, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »
I meant a completely different relationship than anywhere else in the US.

Oh. Well, that's true to a degree. The Russian interactions were a lot different yes, with Orthodox priests butting heads with the Russian-American Company over Native treatment, but Russian America was only the Southern third of Alaska (a lot of Natives like to joke that the Russians only had the right to "sell" a fraction of the state) with the northern Athabaskan of the interior and the Inupiat of the northwestern coast barely making contact. The Russians weren't really miners or loggers so didn't have as much reason to penetrate beyond the realms of the sea otter and the whale.

After the US purchase in 1867, Sheldon Jackson and a coterie of Protestant missionaries swooped in and carved up the map, setting up schools and such that were often legally compelled much like in the Lower 48. So, today we have a situation in which the solidly Orthodox areas are all in the south (especially around Kodiak, Sitka, and Yakutat) whereas the northern parts of Alaska are a hodgepodge of Orthodox, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Baptists, and Quakers- each with a slightly different history of interactions.

Now, the fact that there were never reservations in Alaska definitely had an effect, but it's also important not to overstate this, especially when rural villages are often just as economically depressed and plagued by substance abuse nowadays as a lot of reservations are.
I do stuff.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28500 on: May 15, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
Oh, I see. Anyway, it's interesting how there are still so many Natives in Alaska, and many seemingly so integrated with general society. Sounds more like Central America than Northern.  :P

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28501 on: May 15, 2018, 05:23:54 PM »
Oh, I see. Anyway, it's interesting how there are still so many Natives in Alaska, and many seemingly so integrated with general society. Sounds more like Central America than Northern.  :P

Depends on where you are. In "the bush" as it's called, a lot of them still live off subsistence hunting like they always have- just with snowmobiles and guns and speedboats and helicopters- and a lot of whites actually pretty much have the same lifestyle.

In the larger towns, Natives live a modern life just like anybody else, yeah. A few of them (mostly the ones associated with the Native Corporations that got government payouts in the 70s) are even rich by our standards.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:24:42 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28502 on: May 15, 2018, 06:07:46 PM »
On a related note, because I'm a weirdo who doesn't use Ad Block on YouTube (guilt over not supporting content creators), I've been getting this ad constantly. Bristol Bay Native Corporation is doing pretty well, it seems.
I do stuff.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28503 on: May 15, 2018, 06:54:22 PM »
It just hit me how weird it is that Toys R Us is gone. I hadn't set foot in one since the mid-2000s and have probably done so less than ten to twenty times in my whole life, but still it was kind of a fixture of childhood me's conceptual landscape.

I guess this is how my parents's generation felt when Woolworth's and Monkey Ward's closed down...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:55:27 PM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28504 on: May 15, 2018, 07:34:17 PM »

I live near a Native American college.

Oh, okay, makes sense.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
« Reply #28505 on: May 15, 2018, 08:20:53 PM »
It just hit me how weird it is that Toys R Us is gone. I hadn't set foot in one since the mid-2000s and have probably done so less than ten to twenty times in my whole life, but still it was kind of a fixture of childhood me's conceptual landscape.

I guess this is how my parents's generation felt when Woolworth's and Monkey Ward's closed down...

I know right? I visited mine one last time before it closed, I feel like part of my childhood died.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:23:53 PM by Jackson02 »

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #28506 on: May 15, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »

My favorite memory in a Toys R Us was in 1996 playing Super Mario 64 for the first time.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28507 on: May 15, 2018, 08:56:21 PM »

My favorite memory in a Toys R Us was in 1996 playing Super Mario 64 for the first time.

My first time was in a Wal Mart (same for Star Fox 64). I think I first saw Ocarina of Time in a Toys R Us, though. Good memories...
I do stuff.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28508 on: May 15, 2018, 09:01:24 PM »
I never went to Toys R Us that often, but it was nonetheless very iconic to me so it does seem weird to me that it's shut down.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #28509 on: May 15, 2018, 09:42:24 PM »
I remember a lot of Toys R Us shopping when I was young, but not so much buying except possibly Nintendo games.

I remember Wards but never called them Monkey Wards...maybe Monty Wards  ;D. Actually someone bought the name and is running them as a website. zombie wards No idea if they will ever ship what you order or if it's some kind of scam though.

Also gone: Service Merchandise, Venture, Zayre's. Service Merchandise was interesting because you typed in what you wanted on a terminal in the store and somebody in the back would go find it and put it on a conveyor belt to go to the checkout. Now Amazon does the same thing on a global scale  :P

Lastly, how is Kmart not out of business?  ???
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28510 on: May 15, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »
I remember a lot of Toys R Us shopping when I was young, but not so much buying except possibly Nintendo games.

I remember Wards but never called them Monkey Wards...maybe Monty Wards  ;D.

Maybe it's a Rookies thing (grew up in Montana)?

Actually someone bought the name and is running them as a website. zombie wards No idea if they will ever ship what you order or if it's some kind of scam though.

Weird lol.

Lastly, how is Kmart not out of business?  ???

I ask that about Sears and Penney's, too.
I do stuff.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
« Reply #28511 on: May 15, 2018, 09:57:34 PM »

For me it was Mario Party 4 in 2007.  :'(

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Our Lady of Walsingham
« Reply #28512 on: May 15, 2018, 10:01:44 PM »
Raise your hand if you can remember when GameStop was EB Games. Raises hand
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:12:17 PM by Jackson02 »

Fr. Seraphim Rose

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28513 on: May 15, 2018, 10:58:57 PM »

I remember going to EB Games when I was in elementary school.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #28514 on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:15 PM »
Junior high, for me.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28515 on: May 15, 2018, 11:13:27 PM »

I remember shopping at it when it was named Electronics Boutique  :police:
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28516 on: May 15, 2018, 11:23:07 PM »

I remember shopping at it when it was named Electronics Boutique  :police:

I didn't even know they were the same company til just now lol! I remember the Electronics Boutique days, yeah.
I do stuff.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28517 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
I was thinking about Jesus after the resurrection, and specifically his clothes. Like, he wouldn't actually need clothes, but probably had them for modesty reasons or somesuch. What were they made of though? Were they just an illusion, or were they of some kind of 'subtle substance' partway between plain old physical matter and pure spirit, or was it actually all in the minds of the perceivers (akin to how some interpret the speaking of tongues in Acts 2)? What if Jesus wore glasses, would he have those on? Cause those are due to impairments and wouldn't be required to fix them any longer, and wouldn't be needed for modesty, yet we have icons of people in glasses, and who can deny that a good looking man in glasses is a sight to behold?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28518 on: May 16, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »
I was thinking about Jesus after the resurrection, and specifically his clothes. Like, he wouldn't actually need clothes, but probably had them for modesty reasons or somesuch. What were they made of though? Were they just an illusion, or were they of some kind of 'subtle substance' partway between plain old physical matter and pure spirit, or was it actually all in the minds of the perceivers (akin to how some interpret the speaking of tongues in Acts 2)?

I don't see why they couldn't just be regular clothes that He willed into being.

What if Jesus wore glasses, would he have those on? Cause those are due to impairments and wouldn't be required to fix them any longer, and wouldn't be needed for modesty, yet we have icons of people in glasses, and who can deny that a good looking man in glasses is a sight to behold?

Well, I'm guessing that icons of people in glasses are not completely uncontroversial (cue the thread), and its hard to pinpoint the line between vanity and just acceptably wanting to wear something because you like the way you look in it. But if one can thread that needle, then I'm not sure there's an issue. If anybody could blamelessly rock unnecessary frames (something I'm a tad skeptical about), I'm sure it would be Jesus.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:48:42 AM by Volnutt »
I do stuff.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28519 on: May 16, 2018, 11:55:06 AM »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #28520 on: May 16, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
"I liked Satan better when he was still Lucifer."
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28521 on: May 16, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »
"It's called the Gospel of the Hebrews. You've probably never heard of it."
I do stuff.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #28522 on: May 16, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »
I was thinking about Jesus after the resurrection, and specifically his clothes. Like, he wouldn't actually need clothes, but probably had them for modesty reasons or somesuch. What were they made of though? Were they just an illusion, or were they of some kind of 'subtle substance' partway between plain old physical matter and pure spirit, or was it actually all in the minds of the perceivers (akin to how some interpret the speaking of tongues in Acts 2)?

I don't see why they couldn't just be regular clothes that He willed into being.

Maybe he took them from someone's clothesline and left a note telling them where to catch a fish with enough money in its mouth to compensate them with interest.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28523 on: May 16, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »

Maybe he took them from someone's clothesline and left a note telling them where to catch a fish with enough money in its mouth to compensate them with interest.

lol
I do stuff.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28524 on: May 16, 2018, 02:30:35 PM »

Sounds like an explanation the early Christians would have been happy with (concrete yet miraculous, anti-gnostic, shows command of nature)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28525 on: May 16, 2018, 03:26:34 PM »

Sounds like an explanation the early Christians would have been happy with (concrete yet miraculous, anti-gnostic, shows command of nature)

Kind of does, yeah.
I do stuff.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #28526 on: May 16, 2018, 04:01:29 PM »
Slipped and fell and hurt my knees. Ouch.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28527 on: May 16, 2018, 06:24:53 PM »

Yikes. Is it serious?
I do stuff.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #28528 on: May 16, 2018, 06:33:40 PM »

Yikes. Is it serious?

No, looks like just bruises. But it smarted.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28529 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »

Yikes. Is it serious?

No, looks like just bruises. But it smarted.

Well, I'm glad it isn't serious.
I do stuff.