Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 8957077 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28440 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:51 AM »
It is kind of bizarre to me. He reminds of those atheists who say they still see value in religion despite not believing in it (a view which is at least as old as Matthew Arnold, let's not forget). At least Ethical Culture, August Comte's "Religion of Humanity," etc. were honest in their branding.

I have an atheist friend who lost her faith mid-life, and she has expressed more than once that she misses it because she still finds value in the ritual and affirmations even though she thinks it's meaningless.

It's a pretty common sentiment, I think. Human psychology seems to need something like that. I've been seeing a lot of "atheist meditation" stuff recently, for example. Whether that need is a bug or a feature, as it were, is another question.
It's inherent, whatever it is. I've read some stuff from anthropologists in recent months discussing whether ritualized behavior in apes is just a game or an incipient religion.

And hell, Jordan Peterson has shown that he can extract capitalist value out of religion without even pretending to belong to it.

Yeah, though in that he seems to most appeal to people whose "religion" consists primarily of reheated Robert Bly material.

LOL. Maybe the Mexican drug cartels will drop "Wild at Heart" for cleaning out your room.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28441 on: May 11, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #28442 on: May 11, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »

That's my experience the first time I crank up the chainsaw every spring.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28443 on: May 11, 2018, 10:50:39 PM »
It is kind of bizarre to me. He reminds of those atheists who say they still see value in religion despite not believing in it (a view which is at least as old as Matthew Arnold, let's not forget). At least Ethical Culture, August Comte's "Religion of Humanity," etc. were honest in their branding.

I have an atheist friend who lost her faith mid-life, and she has expressed more than once that she misses it because she still finds value in the ritual and affirmations even though she thinks it's meaningless.

It's a pretty common sentiment, I think. Human psychology seems to need something like that. I've been seeing a lot of "atheist meditation" stuff recently, for example. Whether that need is a bug or a feature, as it were, is another question.
It's inherent, whatever it is. I've read some stuff from anthropologists in recent months discussing whether ritualized behavior in apes is just a game or an incipient religion.

And hell, Jordan Peterson has shown that he can extract capitalist value out of religion without even pretending to belong to it.

Yeah, though in that he seems to most appeal to people whose "religion" consists primarily of reheated Robert Bly material.

LOL. Maybe the Mexican drug cartels will drop "Wild at Heart" for cleaning out your room.

lol, I had no idea they were into Wild at Heart.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28444 on: May 12, 2018, 12:00:48 AM »
Unknown sound from the Pacific Ocean in 1999, nicknamed “Julia” by NOAA: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPae-2nnsoY

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:04:22 AM by Jackson02 »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28445 on: May 12, 2018, 12:14:32 AM »
Unknown sound from the Pacific Ocean in 1999, nicknamed “Julia” by NOAA: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPae-2nnsoY

Hah! I love those (though hopefully not in an IFLS sense). It's like the "Bloop."

I think I read that the most plausible argument is that it's a massive ice shelf scraping against the ocean floor (which can ring out for miles and miles underwater).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:15:48 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28446 on: May 12, 2018, 12:15:12 AM »
I want to do a little research on Finnish folklore. Can anyone point me to some sources on the story of the "forest shroud" or the place where you walk into the forest and everything turns upside-down and there's monsters and stuff (the incomplete description of the story that I've gotten makes me wonder if it inspired the Upside-Down from Stranger Things)?

One bump chump.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #28447 on: May 12, 2018, 04:48:56 AM »
I want to do a little research on Finnish folklore. Can anyone point me to some sources on the story of the "forest shroud" or the place where you walk into the forest and everything turns upside-down and there's monsters and stuff (the incomplete description of the story that I've gotten makes me wonder if it inspired the Upside-Down from Stranger Things)?

One bump chump.

I'm not super familiar with the concept and can't pinpoint any throrough explanation in English. FWIW, there's very short Wikipedia article in English.

Metsänpeitto

Google finds some articles which are mostly in Finnish but Google translate makes a decent job translating them. Here's an article from Finnish neopagans so take it with a grain of salt. It's about gods and forest elves and places metsänpeitto in it's context.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&sl=auto&tl=destination_language&u=www.taivaannaula.org/2012/07/04/metsan-vaki/

Tldr: quite different from Stranger Things. Gods and and elves might have gotten angry and needed to be vary of but they were not monsters a'la Stranger Things.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:55:54 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #28448 on: May 12, 2018, 07:08:17 AM »
Pug breaks out of his room and can't get back in VERY FUNNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qHRv2v_QI
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28449 on: May 12, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »

One bump chump.

I'm not super familiar with the concept and can't pinpoint any throrough explanation in English. FWIW, there's very short Wikipedia article in English.

Metsänpeitto

Google finds some articles which are mostly in Finnish but Google translate makes a decent job translating them. Here's an article from Finnish neopagans so take it with a grain of salt. It's about gods and forest elves and places metsänpeitto in it's context.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&sl=auto&tl=destination_language&u=www.taivaannaula.org/2012/07/04/metsan-vaki/

Tldr: quite different from Stranger Things. Gods and and elves might have gotten angry and needed to be vary of but they were not monsters a'la Stranger Things.

Thanks!

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28450 on: May 12, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »

Hah! I love those (though hopefully not in an IFLS sense). It's like the "Bloop."

I think I read that the most plausible argument is that it's a massive ice shelf scraping against the ocean floor (which can ring out for miles and miles underwater).

I've always thought it was some sort of undiscovered whale, but that's a good theory too.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28451 on: May 12, 2018, 05:47:25 PM »
Obviously Cthulhu.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #28452 on: May 12, 2018, 07:26:29 PM »
Really the best artist won the Eurovision this year. Israelian (conjugation?) authorities might have hard time organizing secure contest next year but they really deserved the victory. The song was catchy and the choreography was LOL.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:26:54 PM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Online RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28453 on: May 12, 2018, 07:48:18 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:56:37 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28454 on: May 12, 2018, 07:53:21 PM »
Obviously Cthulhu.

I would have said the Ningen, but that works too I guess.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28455 on: May 12, 2018, 07:55:02 PM »
Editted —Mina

That's great! Thank God!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:22:58 PM by minasoliman »

Online RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28456 on: May 12, 2018, 07:56:53 PM »
Heh thanks. Mind editing your post? I felt like I bragged way too much. It's embarrassing.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28457 on: May 12, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »
Praise God, Rob!  Many years.   :D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28458 on: May 12, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »
Heh thanks. Mind editing your post? I felt like I bragged way too much. It's embarrassing.

Oh, sorry! I can't, it timed out. You'll need to report it to a mod.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28459 on: May 12, 2018, 11:56:28 PM »
It's almost midnight here right now.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28460 on: May 12, 2018, 11:58:10 PM »
I'm curious about what happened, but it was apparently good, so congrats, Rob.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28461 on: May 13, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28462 on: May 13, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »

Welcome to the Triskaseptamillenarian club!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28463 on: May 13, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »
There was another woman who lived in a house and something kept constantly knocking on her window. Later on, this very same woman got an apartment way up on the sixth floor and again something kept tapping on her window. I questioned the Gospa about what it was. She replied that the souls in Purgatory were doing so because she has forgotten to pray for them and they are demanding her prayers.

Mirjana Dragicevic, Seer of Medjugorje.

Now I'm kind of surprised nobody's ever made a Medjugorje themed horror movie lol. I mean, yeah, it would get banned in Croatia, but...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28464 on: May 13, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »
mother, Illuminati, woman, Saturday

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28465 on: May 13, 2018, 07:32:50 PM »

Congratulations. I've still got a long way to go just to get to 1,000. ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:33:26 PM by BrotherInChrist »

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #28466 on: May 13, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »
We just now implemented the Archdiocesean official Christos Anesti/Christ is Risen...just in time for everyone to sing it almost right a couple times then put it away until next year   ;D ::)
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Catholic
« Reply #28467 on: May 13, 2018, 11:46:48 PM »
Feeling the appropriate mood for the apocalypse, I think.
Free "Tequila" Dave!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28468 on: May 14, 2018, 06:42:22 AM »
"What you do have there is a nice distillation of the current level of political discourse in America: two people who don't really know what they're talking about, condescending to each other nonsensically until one of them lands a sick burn." - John Oliver
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Online RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28469 on: May 14, 2018, 09:20:47 AM »

I'd like to hear your further ruminations on what you think of Jordan Peterson.

Online RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28470 on: May 14, 2018, 09:42:35 AM »
Peterson reminds me of Joseph Campbell and when he gets into self-help territory its like Deepak Chopra lol.

He's a psuedointellectual polite Canadian who rails against "postmodern Neo-Marxism" but doesn't understand what Marxism is. He's supposedly the guy to give the alt-right some intellectual credibility. That's like saying he's the fastest kid at fat camp lol.

I just haven't found anything of his worth listening/reading.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28471 on: May 14, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »
"What you do have there is a nice distillation of the current level of political discourse in America: two people who don't really know what they're talking about, condescending to each other nonsensically until one of them lands a sick burn." - John Oliver

Or just getting all dewy eyed about the sublime, transcendent joys of "punching Nazis (or Commies)."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28472 on: May 14, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »
Peterson reminds me of Joseph Campbell and when he gets into self-help territory its like Deepak Chopra lol.

He's a psuedointellectual polite Canadian who rails against "postmodern Neo-Marxism" but doesn't understand what Marxism is. He's supposedly the guy to give the alt-right some intellectual credibility. That's like saying he's the fastest kid at fat camp lol.

I just haven't found anything of his worth listening/reading.

I think psychologists still respect him a fair bit for his contributions to personality tests/categories, but that's about it. I've never read his material either way. The whole "clean up your room" bit sounds like the typical bootstraps stuff- ie. good advice for most of us, but could also very easily be used to abuse the highly damaged (which of course, 4Chan types will gleefully rush to do).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28473 on: May 14, 2018, 02:41:34 PM »
From TVTropes-

Some of Charles Darwin's earliest interests were in beetles. Of course, it wasn't until he started looking at finches that he put his name down in history, but things might have been different if Darwin wasn't so interested in beetles. To give an example of how strong his obsession with beetles and beetle collecting was, once as a young man he was returning home after collecting beetles in the woods when he came across a bombardier beetle. Even though he was already out of room to carry it, he was determined to bring it home with him and attempted to carry it in his mouth. Naturally, this resulted in him discovering what being sprayed in the mouth by a bombardier beetle was like, and the resulting effects caused him to lose both the bombardier and all the other beetles he'd collected. He described the event with great enthusiasm in his diary.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28474 on: May 14, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
Reading Bogleech's Digimon reviews got me started on looking up beetle-related things.

I had never heard the term "thunder bug" before.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28475 on: May 14, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
As far as I know this person is a respected historian, and as far as I can tell the rest of the book this quote is from has been accurate and even-handed, but sheesh...

"The Church Fathers also mostly took a poor view of women, however much they might cultivate rich ladies as individuals; women were seen as sources of temptation for men, and many Christian writers took the view that not just sex but even marriage itself was sinful." - Averil Cameron

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28476 on: May 14, 2018, 04:14:39 PM »
Naturally, this resulted in him discovering what being sprayed in the mouth by a bombardier beetle was like, and the resulting effects caused him to lose both the bombardier and all the other beetles he'd collected. He described the event with great enthusiasm in his diary.

That's when nerds were true nerds™!  :P

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28477 on: May 14, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »
As far as I know this person is a respected historian, and as far as I can tell the rest of the book this quote is from has been accurate and even-handed, but sheesh...

"The Church Fathers also mostly took a poor view of women, however much they might cultivate rich ladies as individuals; women were seen as sources of temptation for men, and many Christian writers took the view that not just sex but even marriage itself was sinful." - Averil Cameron

The last clause is overblown. Tertullian and Jerome are the only Fathers (scare quotes for the former) that I've seen denigrate marriage itself (and even then it's debatable). Isn't the rest of it pretty much true, though?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:28:11 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28478 on: May 14, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
Naturally, this resulted in him discovering what being sprayed in the mouth by a bombardier beetle was like, and the resulting effects caused him to lose both the bombardier and all the other beetles he'd collected. He described the event with great enthusiasm in his diary.

That's when nerds were true nerds™!  :P

JBS Haldane is a fake geek boi.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28479 on: May 14, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »

The last clause is overblown. Tertullian and Jerome are the only Fathers (scare quotes for the former) that I've seen denigrate marriage itself (and even then it's debatable). Isn't the rest of it pretty much true, though?

Yeah it was mostly the last bit that threw me. It's true that some believed that marriage was faulty or sinful, or at least flirted with that position, but the Church Fathers individually, and together at the Council of Gangra (and thereafter by accepting the canons), condemned this mindset:

"If any one shall condemn marriage, or abominate and condemn a woman who is a believer and devout, and sleeps with her own husband, as though she could not enter the Kingdom [of heaven] let him be anathema." (Canon 1)

"If any one shall remain virgin, or observe continence, abstaining from marriage because he abhors it, and not on account of the beauty and holiness of virginity itself, let him be anathema." (Canon 9)

"If any woman shall forsake her husband, and resolve to depart from him because she abhors marriage, let her be anathema." (Canon 14)

Also, though, I think "overblown" could also describe this part: "women were seen as sources of temptation for men." That some writers were much harsher regarding women I don't deny (e.g., some, perhaps following St. Paul, seem to put more of the blame on Eve than Adam). Yet often times when you find a person saying "avoid women" you can also find the same writer saying somewhere in the same work "avoid men." Women were thought to bring out certain sins in the male audience being written to--sins which (full grown) men usually did not--and thus women were often singled out in discussions of lust.* But in other parts of a text they usually say to stay clear of men as well--in sections on gossip, being overly familiar and unguarded around people, etc. Often it is only the "avoid women" part that gets quoted, from which an unfair or distorted conclusion is then drawn.

*Earlier this year I was reading the Discourses of St. Dorotheos of Gaza, and at first a point he was making was going over my head. Sometimes when monastic literature discusses lust they'll mention boys, but I think St. Dorotheos was actually mentioning conduct around other men as it relates to lust. At first he was speaking in such a way that it sounded very much like modern-day PC/woke stuff, saying that you should go out of your way not to offend your brother in word or deed, in habit, in mannerisms, and so on. It only dawned on me after a while what sort of, ahem, 'movements' and motions and figures of speech were being indicated, and what thoughts it might be bringing up in the imaginations of other monks that St. Dorotheos very much wanted to eliminate the possibility of.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:51:44 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28480 on: May 14, 2018, 04:53:48 PM »
Desert Fathers often said "avoid women" to their fellow monks, which makes sense; they also advised them to "avoid boys" but I don't think this would be taken as denigrating boys.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28481 on: May 14, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »
Good points.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #28482 on: May 14, 2018, 05:34:18 PM »
Actress Margot Kidder has died. She played Lois Lane, among other roles. May she rest in peace. Memory eternal.  :'(
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28483 on: May 14, 2018, 05:52:13 PM »
Memory eternal. I hope she has rest and wholeness now.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28484 on: May 14, 2018, 11:56:41 PM »
May is already almost halfway over.