Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 7748410 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28395 on: May 06, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »

Without context, this would make a good "this picture makes no sense" meme  ;)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28396 on: May 06, 2018, 08:32:17 PM »
Why am I not surprised about a tobacco company specifically targeting a minority group like that (I mean, the fact that they're translating a mandated CYA health warning into the language implies that they're already marketing pretty heavily to Gurani speakers). In the US, they often get in trouble for specifically targeting redlined neighborhoods, I believe.
Actually makes a lot of sense.

Has there been much Orthodox material translated into Tupi or Gurani?
Tupi, definitely not, it's a dead language. There's a medium-sized city that speaks an interesting mixed descendant called Nheengatu, but there's no Orthodox presence there. Guarani, I doubt, but it's possible, it is very widespread in Paraguay.

Without context, this would make a good "this picture makes no sense" meme  ;)
lol I was just going to drop it without any info
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:34:23 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #28397 on: May 07, 2018, 12:55:54 AM »
I think the Clapper would have been a success if it had been the Snapper--all you had to do was snap your fingers to turn things on and off.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28398 on: May 07, 2018, 12:59:40 AM »
I wonder how the weather will be this week.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28399 on: May 07, 2018, 07:05:12 AM »

It's spring, so for us that means highs in the 80's, lows in the 50's and 60's, and moody rain patterns.  This means I can stop carrying a jacket with me, except to stores where once the highs hit 75, there's some conspiratorial need to freeze all the patrons to death.   :laugh:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28400 on: May 07, 2018, 12:54:26 PM »
The weather is pretty nice here. Not too hot, not too cold (by too cold I mean 20 Celsius). Sun shining, but not burning.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:54:38 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #28401 on: May 07, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
by too cold I mean 20 Celsius

You would freeze up here. Just a week ago a friend complained that there was too hot in Italy during her holiday. Turned out it was 19 Celsius.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28402 on: May 07, 2018, 01:18:58 PM »
You would freeze up here. Just a week ago a friend complained that there was too hot in Italy during her holiday. Turned out it was 19 Celsius.
I recall when I was in high school there was a cold wave and one morning we woke up to, like, 14 Celsius. People got sick, everyone was wearing thick jackets and having goosebumps... One German teacher simply showed up in shorts.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #28403 on: May 07, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
I recall when I was in high school there was a cold wave and one morning we woke up to, like, 14 Celsius. People got sick, everyone was wearing thick jackets and having goosebumps... One German teacher simply showed up in shorts.

14 degrees sounds quite typical Midsummer around here. Usually it also rains.

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #28404 on: May 07, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
Pug REFUSES to go to bed....Screams!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUL400DZYZE&t=53s

;D

O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28405 on: May 08, 2018, 12:43:39 AM »
It's been a while since I've eaten pie.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28406 on: May 08, 2018, 12:52:33 AM »
It's been a while since I've eaten pie.
Wow, me too. I believe I baked the last one I ate myself, though, in my birthday back in September... Although I didn't actually bake, it's an easy recipe that doesn't go to the oven, called the Dutch pie. You just make many layers: one of Graham crackers soaked in milk, another of a mix of butter, sugar and cream (I add just a little wine), another of Graham crackers, another of butter/sugar/cream... and so on. In the end, a chocolate ganache icing (it's better with little to no sugar). 200g butter, 200g cream and 200g sugar is a good measure for the many layers if you put some of that sugar in the ganache. Milk is highly variable, so just soak one at a time. Definitely worth the work.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:53:15 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #28407 on: May 08, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
In Speechless Ecstasy : Expression and Interpretation of Mystical Experience in Classical Syriac and Sufi Literature
https://helda.helsinki.fi/handle/10138/19210

I'll just leave this here. Some of you might find it interesting. The author is an EO Hieromonk and the professor of systematic theology in the University of Eastern Finland.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:07:34 AM by Alpo »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28408 on: May 08, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »
in-, history, de-, spirit, bear, good-bye
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #28409 on: May 09, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »
I was looking for prokeimenons in Arabic. Google suggested that maybe I'm looking for Pokemons.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28410 on: May 09, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »
I was looking for prokeimenons in Arabic. Google suggested that maybe I'm looking for Pokemons.

Why not both?  ;)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28411 on: May 09, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »

Why not both?  ;)

Bringing Pokémon into the church can have grave consequences.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #28412 on: May 09, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »

Why not both?  ;)

Tried to think of a joke earlier about how both seem very different depending on which tone they're in.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28413 on: May 09, 2018, 03:27:17 PM »

I make that mistake all the time lol.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28414 on: May 09, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »

Why not both?  ;)

Tried to think of a joke earlier about how both seem very different depending on which tone they're in.

Geeesh, tell me about it...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28415 on: May 09, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »

Why not both?  ;)

I wonder if a Ratatta or a Grimer spawning on the Altar is grounds for resanctification. #thingsCreteshouldhaveaddressed

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #28416 on: May 09, 2018, 03:34:33 PM »

Why not both?  ;)

I wonder if a Ratatta or a Grimer spawning on the Altar is grounds for resanctification. #thingsCreteshouldhaveaddressed

As long as they're not girls.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28417 on: May 09, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »
"Every breath praise the Lord".

Rare picture of Pikachu and Togepi praying. Togepi has moved to a monastery in New York and was tonsured Paisios.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28418 on: May 09, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »

Why not both?  ;)

As long as they're not girls.

Canons vs. Niantic's Pseudorandom Number Generator algorithms. Who will win!?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28419 on: May 09, 2018, 05:09:03 PM »
Tfw I take a look at Tumblr and get full-on Poe's Law aporia...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28420 on: May 09, 2018, 05:09:59 PM »
"Every breath praise the Lord".

Rare picture of Pikachu and Togepi praying. Togepi has moved to a monastery in New York and was tonsured Paisios.

Can I have your baby Pokemon?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #28421 on: May 09, 2018, 05:15:52 PM »
Never much liked Paul Tillich, but maybe I didn't give him a fair enough shot; I sort of feel like that ship has sailed at this point though. Unrelatedly, looking at the blurbs, reviews, and table of contents, I'm going to tentatively file the new John Shelby Spong book under "Things that make you go 'Ugh, what is the point then?'"

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #28422 on: May 09, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »
I'm going to tentatively file the new John Shelby Spong book under "Things that make you go 'Ugh, what is the point then?'"
He's still alive?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28423 on: May 09, 2018, 05:24:55 PM »
I'm going to tentatively file the new John Shelby Spong book under "Things that make you go 'Ugh, what is the point then?'"
He's still alive?

Yep. 86.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28424 on: May 09, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »
Never much liked Paul Tillich, but maybe I didn't give him a fair enough shot; I sort of feel like that ship has sailed at this point though. Unrelatedly, looking at the blurbs, reviews, and table of contents, I'm going to tentatively file the new John Shelby Spong book under "Things that make you go 'Ugh, what is the point then?'"

Point of Christianity?

I sympathize.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #28425 on: May 09, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »
Yeah, I got the same feeling in the couple books of his that I read, but the one that apparently got published in February (or the paperback version anyway?) seems to collect together and sum up a lot of his earlier ideas. It just doesn't make sense to me why you'd try to keep balancing all the plates when you've proclaimed that the sticks don't exist...

Link for those curios: https://www.amazon.com/Unbelievable-Neither-Ancient-Reformation-Produce/dp/0062641298/ref=pd_sim_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0062641298&pd_rd_r=XPEHY72JGDCKHYQA3ZDY&pd_rd_w=RxYdu&pd_rd_wg=bEB3o&psc=1&refRID=XPEHY72JGDCKHYQA3ZDY
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:33:46 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28426 on: May 09, 2018, 05:45:10 PM »
It is kind of bizarre to me. He reminds of those atheists who say they still see value in religion despite not believing in it (a view which is at least as old as Matthew Arnold, let's not forget). At least Ethical Culture, August Comte's "Religion of Humanity," etc. were honest in their branding.

On the OTHER hand, it's a common tactic of fire and brimstone types to declare that anybody with a lighter view in any fashion is ALSO reducing Christianity to atheism. So, I try to practice humility about all this (and don't do a good job).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:47:03 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #28427 on: May 09, 2018, 11:30:38 PM »

I like these quotes from Tillich. I enjoyed his book of essays called, "The Shaking of The Foundations." But I still have no idea what "Process Theology" is. As for Spong, he's shallow waters.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28428 on: May 10, 2018, 12:11:03 AM »
Randomness for the win.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28429 on: May 10, 2018, 12:45:09 AM »

I like these quotes from Tillich. I enjoyed his book of essays called, "The Shaking of The Foundations." But I still have no idea what "Process Theology" is.

Fundamentally it's the idea that God evolves alongside the universe (which implies that He has ever expanding limitations), I think.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:45:42 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28430 on: May 10, 2018, 09:56:38 PM »
I want to do a little research on Finnish folklore. Can anyone point me to some sources on the story of the "forest shroud" or the place where you walk into the forest and everything turns upside-down and there's monsters and stuff (the incomplete description of the story that I've gotten makes me wonder if it inspired the Upside-Down from Stranger Things)?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:01:06 PM by Volnutt »

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28431 on: May 11, 2018, 12:06:50 AM »
I wonder when there will be an update on the Pokemon game for the Switch.

Offline JTLoganville

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GO Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #28432 on: May 11, 2018, 12:59:09 AM »
I think the Clapper would have been a success if it had been the Snapper--all you had to do was snap your fingers to turn things on and off.

So you went to Millersville?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28433 on: May 11, 2018, 02:37:37 AM »
I wonder when there will be an update on the Pokemon game for the Switch.

My guess would be E3 (or the end of this month if there's a leak ahead of time).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28434 on: May 11, 2018, 02:54:15 AM »

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #28435 on: May 11, 2018, 08:40:16 AM »
It is kind of bizarre to me. He reminds of those atheists who say they still see value in religion despite not believing in it (a view which is at least as old as Matthew Arnold, let's not forget). At least Ethical Culture, August Comte's "Religion of Humanity," etc. were honest in their branding.

I have an atheist friend who lost her faith mid-life, and she has expressed more than once that she misses it because she still finds value in the ritual and affirmations even though she thinks it's meaningless.

And hell, Jordan Peterson has shown that he can extract capitalist value out of religion without even pretending to belong to it.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28436 on: May 11, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »

I have an atheist friend who lost her faith mid-life, and she has expressed more than once that she misses it because she still finds value in the ritual and affirmations even though she thinks it's meaningless.

It's a pretty common sentiment, I think. Human psychology seems to need something like that. I've been seeing a lot of "atheist meditation" stuff recently, for example. Whether that need is a bug or a feature, as it were, is another question.

And hell, Jordan Peterson has shown that he can extract capitalist value out of religion without even pretending to belong to it.

Yeah, though in that he seems to most appeal to people whose "religion" consists primarily of reheated Robert Bly material.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28437 on: May 11, 2018, 09:41:39 AM »
I had a co-worker who had Jordan Peterson's maxims taped to his desk. He also declared, in all seriousness, that Oasis was his favorite band.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28438 on: May 11, 2018, 09:51:51 AM »
I wonder what the connection is lol.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28439 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
"Let me start by saying that I'm normally a very skeptical person..." and variations there on are kind of like the creepypasta version of "Dear Penthouse, I never believed your letters were true before..."