Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 8957124 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28350 on: May 02, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
I like Garfield but the comic should have been retired decades ago. I remember reading an interview with Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes)) and someone asked him what he thought of current Garfield. He said, "Garfield is... consistent."
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28351 on: May 02, 2018, 04:05:50 PM »
Anybody know any Russians named Albert? I'm listening to a story with one (and his sister Albina).

How realistic are either of those?
Russian Wikipedia says some survey counted that 0,4% newborns in Kostroma and Vladimir were named Альберт in a 1961 research.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #28352 on: May 02, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »
Gebre

pronounced gebrah or gebray ?

I’ve heard it pronounce “gebr” with a trill “r”.  The added “e” may aid in pronunciation to those who are not able to pronounce the br together without a vowel.

I stand corrected on this one.  Check out this interview and pay attention on the 45th second:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZc2uyFPCe4

And this one on the 53rd second:

So the last "e" does get pronounced.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline WPM

• Holy Catholic Jesus, Intercede with God for us.
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Universal
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #28353 on: May 02, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
Why does he think he's the President and turns out to be a false victim.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #28354 on: May 02, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »

That's a really random post ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline WPM

• Holy Catholic Jesus, Intercede with God for us.
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Universal
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #28355 on: May 02, 2018, 05:13:23 PM »

Must be all of the years watching the News . . .

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28356 on: May 02, 2018, 05:25:31 PM »
The weather is warm today.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28357 on: May 02, 2018, 06:26:37 PM »
Gebre

I’ve heard it pronounce “gebr” with a trill “r”.  The added “e” may aid in pronunciation to those who are not able to pronounce the br together without a vowel.

I stand corrected on this one.  Check out this interview and pay attention on the 45th second:

+1 Thanks for clearing that up! :)
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28358 on: May 02, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »
Gebre

Oh, interesting. I thought from the title he might be speaking Tigrinya (not Amharic, the most prestigious Ethiopian language), but it seems in hymns the "e" is pronounced to (like here).
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28359 on: May 03, 2018, 12:49:47 AM »

Thus fulfilling the purpose of this thread. :)

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Diocese of Korsun
« Reply #28360 on: May 03, 2018, 03:03:15 AM »
Summer is coming soon.
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28361 on: May 03, 2018, 03:05:49 AM »
Summer is coming soon.

Where I'm at, we are just now experiencing the first week that truly feels like Spring (highs in the 60s/70s all week)  :angel:  8)
"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #28362 on: May 03, 2018, 03:07:09 AM »
Current trending words on etymonline:

degree, slave, woman, slav, human
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28363 on: May 03, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »
Top 15 REAL clown attacks before you die that will restore your faith in humanity and you won't believe what happens next gone wrong
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:59:35 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28364 on: May 03, 2018, 09:08:18 AM »
Top 15 REAL clown attacks before you die that will restore your faith in humanity and you won't believe what happens next gone wrong

;D
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28365 on: May 03, 2018, 10:11:52 AM »
It's over Anakin, I have the high ground!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: DNA compatible with Alexander
« Reply #28366 on: May 03, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28367 on: May 03, 2018, 11:51:17 AM »
Summer is coming soon.

Indeed, and frankly I'm not too big a fan of hot weather so I'm not exactly looking forward to it. On the other hand, where I'm going for graduate school the summer isn't too hot, and it may still feel like spring for the first month or so.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28368 on: May 03, 2018, 07:26:22 PM »
TIL that the word "sycophant" has a hilariously vulgar origin that I'm not sure I can repeat here. Look it up.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28369 on: May 03, 2018, 08:14:21 PM »
TIL that the word "sycophant" has a hilariously vulgar origin that I'm not sure I can repeat here. Look it up.
lol this is a sign of luck in Portugal and Brazil now, but insulting anywhere else in the Mediterranean or Latin American world. I suspect it has something to do with "showing the fig" to demons or even pre-Christian evil spirits.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28370 on: May 03, 2018, 08:29:15 PM »
lol this is a sign of luck in Portugal and Brazil now, but insulting anywhere else in the Mediterranean or Latin American world. I suspect it has something to do with "showing the fig" to demons or even pre-Christian evil spirits.

I feel like there's a feminist interpretation in there somewhere lol!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:29:37 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28371 on: May 03, 2018, 11:28:22 PM »
"Hurling is an outdoor team game of ancient Gaelic and Irish origin. It is administered by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA). The game has prehistoric origins, and has been played for 3,000 years." (wiki)

"A standard hurling helmet"

I mean, if I was designing a helmet to be used while hurling I would have excluded the face mask... seems like it'd get in the way? I guess they know better than I do how to play their sport :)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28372 on: May 03, 2018, 11:36:56 PM »
"Hurling is an outdoor team game of ancient Gaelic and Irish origin. It is administered by the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA). The game has prehistoric origins, and has been played for 3,000 years." (wiki)

"A standard hurling helmet"

I mean, if I was designing a helmet to be used while hurling I would have excluded the face mask... seems like it'd get in the way? I guess they know better than I do how to play their sport :)

Hah!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28373 on: May 03, 2018, 11:38:03 PM »
Regarding Nancy, I need to buy this book. Bushmiller really does fascinate me a little. Also, Terry Toons was kind of creepy sometimes. http://www.whataboutthad.com/2017/11/18/the-underrated-art-of-simplicity/

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28374 on: May 03, 2018, 11:41:44 PM »
Though I'm guessing that this would be Olivia Jaimes's response to it lol.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:42:04 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28375 on: May 03, 2018, 11:49:40 PM »
Now, Guy Gilchrist's response would be either this

Or... this...

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:50:10 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28376 on: May 04, 2018, 01:08:22 AM »
Anybody know any Russians named Albert? I'm listening to a story with one (and his sister Albina).

How realistic are either of those?
Russian Wikipedia says some survey counted that 0,4% newborns in Kostroma and Vladimir were named Альберт in a 1961 research.

Just saw this. Thanks.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28377 on: May 04, 2018, 01:15:27 AM »
This might be my favorite Garfield strip ever.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28378 on: May 04, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
This might be my favorite Garfield strip ever.

That one is indeed funny.

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
« Reply #28379 on: May 04, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »
It is weekend now. Have a nice weekend. ;D :)

But I have to stay home to study.   ::)
O strange Orthodox Church, so poor and weak, with neither the organization nor the culture of the West, staying afloat as if by a miracle in the face of so many trials, tribulations and struggles; a Church of contrasts, both so traditional and so free, so archaic and so alive, so ritualist and so personally involved, a Church where the priceless pearl of the Gospel is assiduously preserved, sometimes under a layer of dust; a Church which in shadows and silence maintains above all the eternal val

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28380 on: May 04, 2018, 01:54:39 PM »
It is weekend now. Have a nice weekend. ;D :)

But I have to stay home to study.   ::)

You have a nice weekend as well. :)

I'll be studying quite a bit next month, being that I start graduate school then.

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28381 on: May 04, 2018, 03:20:01 PM »

If you look closely at the final moments of Anakin and Obi Wan's duel, you'll notice that Anakin uses the same flip move as the the one from Obi Wan's fight with Darth Maul. Though Because Obi Wan used this move against Maul, he was victorious.

That's my nerdout for the day. May the 4th be with you!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:25:42 PM by Jackson02 »

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28382 on: May 04, 2018, 11:25:17 PM »
It's that time of the year when the weather can get warm even at nighttime.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:25:41 PM by BrotherInChrist »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28383 on: May 05, 2018, 01:11:38 AM »
A criminal law teacher of mine said he witnessed an oral test for a high public job and the interviewers asked the candidate the difference between calumny, offense and defamation. The candidate started to stutter, so one of the interviewers said: "OK, let's rephrase it: calumnise, offend and defame your interviewers."

The guy got the job.

Offline Anthony1986

• Elder
« Reply #28384 on: May 05, 2018, 03:48:15 PM »
My trip to Oceanographic Museum of Monaco back in January:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN_q9XtMu5c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-MDhUT1RUw

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28385 on: May 05, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28386 on: May 06, 2018, 06:25:39 PM »
The day was awesome. Today I ended up in a pro-life march by the beach with a girl from church and we met a pre-candidate to the federal parliament who just sat on the street and we wrote a biblical verse and a Christogram on a big piece of paper for me to carry as a sign. I met some guys from a Catholic cultural centre (I'm considering the possibility of teaching there), one of them was smoking a cigarette so awful and obscure that the health warning was in a Native American language. I met a senior military who told me inside info he probably shouldn't have. Some doctors from an organisation which dresses in costumes to cheer up sick children were there, the march ended up going through a samba concert and they just joined in. As a result, there's a picture of me holding a religious sign with Spiderman with the beach and some musicians on the background somewhere.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28387 on: May 06, 2018, 07:30:20 PM »
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:30:37 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28388 on: May 06, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »
Don't know if literally dressing like clowns is the best way to get people to take your cause seriously, but I'm glad you had fun :)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28389 on: May 06, 2018, 07:38:14 PM »
Do things like this happen to you often, Rapha?   :o  :D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28390 on: May 06, 2018, 07:46:01 PM »
Don't know if literally dressing like clowns is the best way to get people to take your cause seriously, but I'm glad you had fun :)
That's not really the point, they're part of a group nationally famous for dressing as clowns to cheer up sick children, so these people went to the march representing the organisation. It would actually kinda loose a bit of the power if they weren't dressed the way they're known for.  :P

Do things like this happen to you often, Rapha?   :o  :D
Unfortunately not, but I have my own funny stories.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28391 on: May 06, 2018, 07:48:06 PM »
That's not really the point, they're part of a group nationally famous for dressing as clowns to cheer up sick children, so these people went to the march representing the organisation. It would actually kinda loose a bit of the power if they weren't dressed the way they're known for.  :P

Oh, ok. I missed that part.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28392 on: May 06, 2018, 07:59:46 PM »
As a linguistic nerd, I had to photograph this weird cigarette pack in Gurani (Native American language, close to Tupi, which was the original evangelisation language in Brazil, but mostly spoken in Paraguay with minorities in other countries). It apparently says "smoking causes heart attacks" (like Tupi, it's a very polysynthetic language). Despite the phony English description, it's a terrible cigarette, costing half the price of the worst legal cigarettes available.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:00:00 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28393 on: May 06, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »
Why am I not surprised about a tobacco company specifically targeting a minority group like that (I mean, the fact that they're translating a mandated CYA health warning into the language implies that they're already marketing pretty heavily to Gurani speakers). In the US, they often get in trouble for specifically targeting redlined neighborhoods, I believe.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 08:20:58 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28394 on: May 06, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »
Has there been much Orthodox material translated into Tupi or Gurani?