Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9707474 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #28305 on: April 28, 2018, 01:20:11 PM »
Positioning in the freezer?

If I put eggs on the top shelf of our fridge, they'll partially freeze, so similar idea in reverse with your freezer.  /shrug  ;D

Same shelf, one up from the bottom.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28306 on: April 28, 2018, 01:20:27 PM »
http://out-there-on-the-maroon.tumblr.com/post/173132411445/loveandchibis-as-a-woman-i-gotta-say-nerds-and
Ouch! Immaturity and first relationships after adulthood have those quirks. Currently one of my best friends is in a relationship with a nerdy guy I am (was?) friends with and he's jealous to the point he felt resentful that he had "let" us ride a Uber home together from a dangerous neighbourhood (where the three of us were) to another (where I and the girl were heading). I'd have LOL'd hard at this blatantly cringeworthy insecurity if it wasn't happening to the three of us lol

lol, wow.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28307 on: April 28, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »
These actually served us pretty well in our recent blackout. Bright, doesn't seem to get too hot, and seems sturdy/well made.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #28308 on: April 29, 2018, 12:19:22 AM »
These actually served us pretty well in our recent blackout. Bright, doesn't seem to get too hot, and seems sturdy/well made.

Atomic in the name makes it sound hardcore.   :o  I think we'd just be light-challenged with one flashlight and a few candles.   :laugh:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28309 on: April 29, 2018, 02:19:04 AM »

Atomic in the name makes it sound hardcore.   :o  I think we'd just be light-challenged with one flashlight and a few candles.   :laugh:

Eh, it's not too bad. Only 5 inches tall. Does take 5 AAs, though...

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28310 on: April 30, 2018, 12:17:52 AM »
Dangit. I just realized how much this avatar looks like a Pepe. NOT my intention in any way. It's from a 90s SNES game.

Changing now.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28311 on: April 30, 2018, 12:34:42 AM »
Tbh, Mr. Woof, so many twitch streamers use a pepe-like emoticon that it's become completely normalized for me. *shrugs* feelsindifferentman
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28312 on: April 30, 2018, 12:55:45 AM »
Tbh, Mr. Woof, so many twitch streamers use a pepe-like emoticon that it's become completely normalized for me. *shrugs* feelsindifferentman

I can see how that would happen, yeah.

And honestly, one of the worst things about it is that Matt Furie (creator of the comic strip "Boy's Club" that Pepe was originally stolen from) is kind of a victim in all this. He and Fantagraphics have been trying to reclaim Pepe, but I don't think it's going to work. I can't imagine how it must feel to have one of your creations ruined like that. It's a lot worse than Calvin peeing on the Chevy logo (not that "Boy's Club" is in any way comparable to "Calvin and Hobbes").
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:56:03 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28313 on: April 30, 2018, 01:34:17 AM »
Yeah, I remember Leonard French doing an episode on it, I guess going after Alex Jones for using it.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28314 on: April 30, 2018, 01:57:42 AM »
Yeah, I remember Leonard French doing an episode on it, I guess going after Alex Jones for using it.

Good.

I'd hate to see anybody sued over just making a meme, but profiting off it like Jones did is a bridge too far.

Leonard French is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:58:03 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28315 on: April 30, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »
I generally hate kitschy household stuff, but if I had $70 burning a hole in my pocket, I would definitely considering buying this for my bookcase.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28316 on: April 30, 2018, 04:47:34 PM »
I generally hate kitschy household stuff, but if I had $70 burning a hole in my pocket, I would definitely considering buying this for my bookcase.

lol

My parents actually got me these for Christmas one year. I'm not sure where they are now, sadly. https://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e56f/

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28317 on: April 30, 2018, 04:47:50 PM »
The bookends, not my parents.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28318 on: May 01, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »
At some point I'm going buy some Garfield comics on Amazon, I could always add to my collection.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28319 on: May 01, 2018, 04:16:41 PM »
At some point I'm going buy some Garfield comics on Amazon, I could always add to my collection.

Cool.

Have you been following the new Nancy? I'm a big fan.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28320 on: May 01, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »

Cool.

I actually wasn't familiar with Nancy until you mentioned it. I'll have to look those comics up.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28321 on: May 01, 2018, 04:43:28 PM »

Cool.

I actually wasn't familiar with Nancy until you mentioned it. I'll have to look those comics up.

It has a lot of similarities to Calvin and Hobbes, especially in the new iteration and in the Ernie Bushmiller strips from about the mid-30s onward. Very sarcastic and even surreal at times.

The Guy Gilchrist stuff is more of a Family Circus or preachy-era BC clone, if you're in to that kind of thing (I'm not, but diff'rent strokes).

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28322 on: May 01, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
Today's strip.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28323 on: May 01, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
I... don't get it ???

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #28324 on: May 01, 2018, 07:47:09 PM »
I... don't get it ???
She is blind maybe?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28325 on: May 01, 2018, 07:51:28 PM »
I... don't get it ???

Comicbook sound effects. It's meta.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28326 on: May 01, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28327 on: May 01, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »
It's much in the tradition of strips like this from Ernie Bushmiller in 1951.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28328 on: May 01, 2018, 08:00:07 PM »
Ahh, ok, got it :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28329 on: May 01, 2018, 08:20:39 PM »
I can feel myself becoming a curmudgeonly old man and I don't like it. I mean, it's not too different than the smug jerk I already was, but shouldn't I get a say in the matter?  >:(

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28330 on: May 01, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28331 on: May 01, 2018, 08:30:12 PM »

I still love Garfield after all these years.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28332 on: May 01, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »
Maybe Garfield is so lazy and hungry because he smokes pot.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #28333 on: May 01, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
Found out keeping rabbits as pets in my original hometown is actually illegal because....they're "livestock".  :o
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #28334 on: May 01, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
;D
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28335 on: May 01, 2018, 10:27:47 PM »

I don't remember that being part of the comic...  :o

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #28336 on: May 01, 2018, 10:44:21 PM »
I don't remember that being part of the comic...  :o
Well, you obviously didn't read the edition in which he blazes an Ozzy and decides eating Doritos with Nutella is a good idea.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28337 on: May 01, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
In 1940, Pittsburghers offered $1M reward for Hitler capture

In May 1940, more than a year before the United States entered World War II, a group of Pittsburghers offered a $1 million reward to anyone who could capture Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

The New York Times reported then that Samuel Harden Church, president of the Carnegie Institute, led the group of 50 men and women who said they would supply the money if Hitler was delivered "alive, unwounded and unhurt" to the League of Nations to stand trial for "crimes against the peace and dignity of the world."...

A telegram to the Times from a group in Blowing Rock, N.C., described the idea as ridiculous and added: "We hung the Kaiser in 1917. Now they propose to hang Hitler on the same trumped-up charges"...

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #28338 on: May 01, 2018, 10:52:04 PM »
In 1940, Pittsburghers offered $1M reward for Hitler capture

In May 1940, more than a year before the United States entered World War II, a group of Pittsburghers offered a $1 million reward to anyone who could capture Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

The New York Times reported then that Samuel Harden Church, president of the Carnegie Institute, led the group of 50 men and women who said they would supply the money if Hitler was delivered "alive, unwounded and unhurt" to the League of Nations to stand trial for "crimes against the peace and dignity of the world."...

A telegram to the Times from a group in Blowing Rock, N.C., described the idea as ridiculous and added: "We hung the Kaiser in 1917. Now they propose to hang Hitler on the same trumped-up charges"...
Reminds me of a famous pimp who said he'd hand free beer for everyone and free prostitutes for federal policemen if the ex-president were arrested. He fulfilled the promise and threw a huge party with a big picture of the judge responsible for the case on the wall.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28339 on: May 02, 2018, 01:00:00 AM »
Gebre

pronounced gebrah or gebray ?

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28340 on: May 02, 2018, 01:02:21 AM »
It's been a long time since I've eaten applesauce.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #28341 on: May 02, 2018, 12:42:57 PM »
Gebre

I’ve heard it pronounce “gebr” with a trill “r”.  The added “e” may aid in pronunciation to those who are not able to pronounce the br together without a vowel.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28342 on: May 02, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »
Gebre

I’ve heard it pronounce “gebr” with a trill “r”.  The added “e” may aid in pronunciation to those who are not able to pronounce the br together without a vowel.

So, basically "geb-ruh" with the "uh" very quite?

Offline Jackson02

• OC.net guru
« Reply #28343 on: May 02, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #28344 on: May 02, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
Gebre

So, basically "geb-ruh" with the "uh" very quite?
Or without the "uh" at all, if the sound Mina is describing is a syllabic consonant. I didn't know they were a thing in Ethiopian languages, but his description fits. Slavic languages infamously use them (see Czech "strč prst skrz krk"), English speakers may use in words like "hidden" (specially in quick speech) and I'm of the opinion that European Portuguese speakers are developing them, but don't quote me on that.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #28345 on: May 02, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »
English speakers may use in words like "hidden"

Getting English-speakers to understand this is nigh impossible. A lot of old hymns elide "heaven" into "heav'n" to fit the metre and no one knows what to do.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #28346 on: May 02, 2018, 03:38:35 PM »
English speakers may use in words like "hidden"

Getting English-speakers to understand this is nigh impossible. A lot of old hymns elide "heaven" into "heav'n" to fit the metre and no one knows what to do.
Maybe English speakers have a difficulty of speech self-awareness influenced by deep orthography and dialectal diverseness? IDK, Portuguese orthography and dialectology are not as plain and simple as, say, Spanish, but there's always clear intuitive equivalence. Meanwhile, just as an example, African-American and New Yorker English speakers keep splitting their vowels based on context. Realise at/add, price/prize, bit/bid, etc., sometimes have different sounds for these speakers. Not to mention the crazy British dialects that sometimes go back to ancient Anglo-Saxon tribal division.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 03:39:03 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline BrotherInChrist

« Reply #28347 on: May 02, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »

Yeah, it's a classic.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28348 on: May 02, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
Anybody know any Russians named Albert? I'm listening to a story with one (and his sister Albina).

How realistic are either of those?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #28349 on: May 02, 2018, 03:56:49 PM »

Yeah, it's a classic.
+1 to both
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)