Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 8962957 times)

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27990 on: February 27, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »
Hello.

Long time no see, what have you been up to? :)

Mostly teaching, these days. It's fun but it keeps me busy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #27991 on: February 27, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »
Checked my junk mail and found the following. Beautiful.

Federal Bureau of Investigation
Intelligence Field Unit Dallas Fortworth
International Airport, Texas.

Hello,

I am Assistant Special Agent Incharge Eric Jackson from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Intelligence Field Unit, we Intercepted two consignment boxes at Dallas Fortworth International Airport, Texas, the boxes were scanned but found out that it contained large sum of money and also some backup documents which bears your name as the Beneficiary/Receiver of the money, Investigation carried out on the diplomat that accompanied the boxes into the United States, said that he was to deliver the fund to your residence as overdue payment owed to you by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the security company in the United Kingdom.

Meanwhile, we cross check all legal documents in the boxes but we found out that your consignment was lacking an important document and we cannot release the boxes to the diplomat until the document is found, right now we have no other choice than to confiscated your consignment.

According to Internal Revenue Code (IRC) in Title 26 also contain reporting requirement on a Form 8300, Report of Cash Payment Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business, money laundering activity may violate 18 USC 1956, 18 USC 1957, 18 USC 1960, and provision of Title 31, and 26 USC 6050I of the United States Code (USC), this section will discuss only those money laundering and currency violation under the jurisdiction of IRS, your consignment lacks proof of ownership certificate from the joint team of IRS and IRC, therefore you need to reply back immediately for direction on how to procure this certificate to enable us relieved the charge of evading the law on you, which is a punishable offense in the United States.

You are required to reply back within 72hours for normalization and release of your consignment boxes for onward delivery to your address, also you are instructed to desist from further contact with any bank(s) or person(s) in Nigeria or the United kingdom or any part of the world regarding your payment because your consignment has been confiscated by the Federal Bureau here in the United States.

Yours In Service,
Agent Eric Jackson,
Assistant Special Agent Incharge
FBI- Dallas Area Division.

Alas, it was sent 8 days ago, so I have missed the deadline!

Kind of looks like a scam letter to me.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27992 on: February 27, 2018, 06:30:39 PM »
Forward this to James Veitch  :P
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27993 on: March 01, 2018, 05:47:28 AM »
What's a "Wild Cherry?"
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #27994 on: March 01, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »
Happy St. David's Day to all the Welsh people!

Happy name day to all the Davids.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27995 on: March 01, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »
augustin, give me the rundown on Romanian girls. Thanks!
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27996 on: March 01, 2018, 07:15:45 PM »
What's a "Wild Cherry?"

No, I'm serious. I see it all the time as a flavoring, but I. just. don't. know. what. it. is. lol

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27997 on: March 01, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »
TIL, there's a Shinto-offshoot that worships Ludwig Zamenhof (the creator of Esperanto).

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27998 on: March 01, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »
What's a "Wild Cherry?"

I have no clue.

"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27999 on: March 01, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »
What's a "Wild Cherry?"

I have no clue.

I don't know what the bridge from Aha's Take on Me plays in my head whenever I look at that.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #28000 on: March 01, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
TIL, there's a Shinto-offshoot that worships Ludwig Zamenhof (the creator of Esperanto).
Amazing. He's a prominent personality in Brazilian Spiritist circles, BTW.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28001 on: March 01, 2018, 09:46:49 PM »

How come?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28002 on: March 01, 2018, 11:45:28 PM »

How come?
Esperanto is relevant in Kardecist circles since its early times. I recall someone from my family, not whether my grandpa or his sister, even learned some of the language and claimed it was spoken in heaven. Back in school, I tried to donate an Esperanto book to the local library, but the librarian insisted the language had religious connotations incompatible with the school's secular policies, lol.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28003 on: March 02, 2018, 12:10:18 AM »

How come?
Esperanto is relevant in Kardecist circles since its early times. I recall someone from my family, not whether my grandpa or his sister, even learned some of the language and claimed it was spoken in heaven. Back in school, I tried to donate an Esperanto book to the local library, but the librarian insisted the language had religious connotations incompatible with the school's secular policies, lol.

Wow, that's amazing. I don't think an American library would ever do that, even if Esperanto really was a religious topic.

I guess a lot of different people have fallen in love with the "universal language" project. The Baha'i were also into Esperanto at one time. Though I guess nowadays they prefer Lojban because they think it's less Eurocentric.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:10:48 AM by Volnutt »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28004 on: March 02, 2018, 12:38:16 AM »
Wow, that's amazing. I don't think an American library would ever do that, even if Esperanto really was a religious topic.

I guess a lot of different people have fallen in love with the "universal language" project. The Baha'i were also into Esperanto at one time. Though I guess nowadays they prefer Lojban because they think it's less Eurocentric.
I never figured out how Lojban works, its whole structure sounds just counterintuictive to me.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28005 on: March 02, 2018, 12:41:39 AM »

I never figured out how Lojban works, its whole structure sounds just counterintuictive to me.

Even its name is kind of counterintuitive.

I guess that's what happens when you have a computer mash English, Mandarin, Hindi, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic together.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28006 on: March 02, 2018, 04:14:32 AM »
When you forget to buy milk for your family, so you just mix sweetend condensed milk and water into a milk cardboard box and hope they don't realise. I'm an evil genious!

(jk, they will realise, but my sister needs milk for breakfast, so I just went full MacGyver)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28007 on: March 02, 2018, 04:30:15 AM »
lol

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Catholic
« Reply #28008 on: March 02, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »
The strangest part of being mugged for the fifth time in less than three years is that I don't even care anymore. Being white sucks.
Isn't that about the same time you shaved your beard?
Free "Tequila" Dave!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28009 on: March 03, 2018, 04:41:54 AM »
Random book of the day:

The Millenial's Guide to Infinity: Your infinity will be as vast as your beliefs.

"The priest who preaches foul doctrine shall be reborn as a fungus." - Buddhist proverb

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28010 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:14 PM »
Ok. Umm, how is it? Sounds like hipster fodder.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28011 on: March 03, 2018, 06:21:15 PM »
I'm not sure, it was priced at $11.11 which is about $10 more than my curiosity will justify. I stumbled on it when I was looking at the 'booksigning' tag on instagram last night. What you said sounds like it sums it up pretty well though; here's a link to the back cover.

(I didn't buy the last 'random book of the day' I posted either)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:21:44 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28012 on: March 03, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »
Gotta love any author who also gets quoted separately on the book jacket.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28013 on: March 04, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »
It's almost 8 AM here, went to bed at 1, I think. Wish I could go back to sleep.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28014 on: March 05, 2018, 02:57:50 AM »
My dad and sister had their DNA done. Turns out that I'm about 20% Finnish. We had no idea. That's what, one ancestor? Two? My dad is over 40%.

The rest is mostly British Isles with some Belgian or German or something (though there are a lot of tiny decimal amounts of varied things like Punjabi and Tuscan and Colombian and Vietnamese, which makes me wonder how much statistical noise there is). Either that or we're more mutts than any of us had any inkling lol.

The thing we were actually most surprised to find was no Cherokee. My grandmother had always been told there was some in the family tree. It was Texas in the 1910s or 1920s, though, so lots of mixed race people of all kinds.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28015 on: March 05, 2018, 03:46:57 AM »
My dad and sister had their DNA done. Turns out that I'm about 20% Finnish. We had no idea. That's what, one ancestor? Two? My dad is over 40%.

The rest is mostly British Isles with some Belgian or German or something (though there are a lot of tiny decimal amounts of varied things like Punjabi and Tuscan and Colombian and Vietnamese, which makes me wonder how much statistical noise there is). Either that or we're more mutts than any of us had any inkling lol.

The thing we were actually most surprised to find was no Cherokee. My grandmother had always been told there was some in the family tree. It was Texas in the 1910s or 1920s, though, so lots of mixed race people of all kinds.
I recall reading something about ancient invasions of Europe from the Baltic region leaving a genetic imprint all over Europe, I wonder if these tests might hit a Finnish part due to it. Look at Nicoletta Elmi, Italian actress from Rome, for instance:

Vittoria Belvedere, from Calabria:

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #28016 on: March 05, 2018, 04:06:32 AM »
^AFAIK most likely not. Finns are not Baltic. Our genes come from further East. Vikings were not Finns either but they might have occasional Finnish family here and there which might explain Finnish genome in random places across the Europe.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28017 on: March 05, 2018, 04:45:38 AM »
Aside from the Varangians, I wonder if interactions due to the Mongol Hordes explain some of it in my case (there was a tiny amount of Chinese in the list, too). I wouldn't be surprised if it lead to all kinds of unprecedented mixing throughout Eurasia.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28018 on: March 05, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »
^AFAIK most likely not. Finns are not Baltic. Our genes come from further East. Vikings were not Finns either but they might have occasional Finnish family here and there which might explain Finnish genome in random places across the Europe.
Or maybe the contrary: viking presence in Finland and in other parts of Europe makes Finns match their genes with these random populations.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28019 on: March 06, 2018, 03:52:29 AM »
My old Assemblies of God church had a mime act once as part of their "performing arts ministry."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28020 on: March 06, 2018, 03:57:47 AM »
"What a waste it is to lose one's mime. Or not to have a mime is being very wasteful. How true that is."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28021 on: March 06, 2018, 05:21:15 AM »
The Scandal of the Evangelical Mime

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28022 on: March 08, 2018, 01:57:19 AM »
Poor Bing. It not only gets less traffic than 13 versions of google, but also 2 versions of yahoo.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28023 on: March 08, 2018, 02:07:37 AM »
Poor Bing. It not only gets less traffic than 13 versions of google, but also 2 versions of yahoo.

Bill Gates's dream of world domination still lies outside his grasp :'(

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28024 on: March 08, 2018, 02:45:08 AM »

Sera, on the other hand, is today celebrating her 1824th birthday, so she definitely has her life together!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28025 on: March 08, 2018, 03:21:23 AM »

Sera, on the other hand, is today celebrating her 1824th birthday, so she definitely has her life together!

So she's half the age of Keith Richards!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:21:43 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28026 on: March 09, 2018, 04:50:55 AM »
A while ago I got a banner ad somewhere for "Pokemon Go: Desktop Version."

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Universal
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #28027 on: March 09, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »
What's a backwoods redneck hillbilly got to do with it? ...
The Spirit of the Lord searches the spirit of a Man it searches his innermost being.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28028 on: March 09, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
What's a backwoods redneck hillbilly got to do with it? ...

Got to do, got to do with it? What's a backwoods redneck hillbilly but a second hand emo-oh-oh-tion?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28029 on: March 09, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »
Excuse me, my friends, but this seems off to me. Let me unpack that a bit. As a card-carrying liberal I appreciate the juxtaposition of so-called 'backwoods redneck hillbillies' with a music icon who happens to be an African-American woman, thereby showing that we are all one species and all deserving of love and respect. However, I can't help but feel that this comparison involves (perhaps unintentionally) a bi-directional sublimation, both patronizingly tying the typically white and stereotypically-lowbrow "backwoods redneck hillbilly" with an extremely successful personage typically placed in a completely different cultural category, and yet simultaneously reorienting the perception of one Ms. Tina Turner, and bringing the pedestal on which she rightfully resides down a few pegs, by association with terms that, in the public mind at least, have vulgar and negative connotations. Also, regarding the term "backwoods redneck hillbilly," with all due respect and charity, I believe "rural-American" is the term that would be most facilitatory for promoting productive exchanges in discourse transpiring in the public sphere.

(no not serious)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28030 on: March 09, 2018, 09:14:01 PM »
Excuse me, my friends, but this seems off to me. Let me unpack that a bit. As a card-carrying liberal I appreciate the juxtaposition of so-called 'backwoods redneck hillbillies' with a music icon who happens to be an African-American woman, thereby showing that we are all one species and all deserving of love and respect. However, I can't help but feel that this comparison involves (perhaps unintentionally) a bi-directional sublimation, both patronizingly tying the typically white and stereotypically-lowbrow "backwoods redneck hillbilly" with an extremely successful personage typically placed in a completely different cultural category, and yet simultaneously reorienting the perception of one Ms. Tina Turner, and bringing the pedestal on which she rightfully resides down a few pegs, by association with terms that, in the public mind at least, have vulgar and negative connotations. Also, regarding the term "backwoods redneck hillbilly," with all due respect and charity, I believe "rural-American" is the term that would be most facilitatory for promoting productive exchanges in discourse transpiring in the public sphere.

(no not serious)

You're the Rich Little of public discourse lol.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28031 on: March 10, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »
Yes, Owl City, you're absolutely right. I WOULD like to make myself believe that planet Earth turns slowly!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28032 on: March 10, 2018, 05:20:40 PM »
How's this for a First World Problem? My junky old laptop barely lets me watch video while the battery is charging lol.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28033 on: March 10, 2018, 05:22:02 PM »
It also makes reading or writing things online go a lot more slowly.

SO I HOPE YOU APPRECIATE THE SACRIFICES I'M MAKING TO POST THIS! :'(
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 05:22:41 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #28034 on: March 10, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »
"Old" in this context being "four or five years," btw lol.