Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9665062 times)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27900 on: February 04, 2018, 07:23:33 PM »
So I ordered a pizza from a place that's part of a chain. They have a deal on their website for a pizza that's 9.99 (regularly 11.99). If you click the deal graphic it places it into your cart as a deal, disallowing you from using any other deals/coupons. However, if instead of clicking on the deal graphic you manually add the pizza through the standard 'build your pizza' section it gives you the discount price but doesn't count it as a deal, leaving you free to use another deal or coupon. What do I do?

- If they didn't quality test their website looking for errors that's their problem; have at it!
- This is thievery of the highest order; inform them immediately!
- Who cares? You stumbled on this, it's not like a bunch of people are going to be systematically abusing this
- Send all readers of oc.net a slice of pizza and at least 2 wings

(also... I did the above manually, and the other discount I used was a code for '$5 off any order of $20 or more,' which is a thing they advertised like 1.5 years ago, and which I've been using ever since, and also might not be a deal they are meaning to give customers... ??? )
I think I'd only feel bad if it were a local chain.  But if Little Caesar's can profit off of $3 and $5 pizzas, I'm thinking streamlined pizza probably isn't expensive to make.  The crust and sauce are pennies, for sure.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:23:55 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #27901 on: February 04, 2018, 07:30:19 PM »
I think you're pretty angry at something, dude.

Angry? Why?

I didn't mean my post to come off as angry. More like tongue-in-cheek, mock frightened. I actually think it's kind of cool that sunflowers now look kind of like little monsters to me. I love the creepy aesthetic (cf. what's probably my favorite website ever).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:39:05 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27902 on: February 04, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
Angry? Why?

I didn't mean my post to come off as angry. More like tongue-in-cheek, mock frightened. I actually think it's kind of cool that sunflowers now look kind of like little monsters to me. I love the creepy aesthetic (cf. what's probably my favorite website ever).
Just kidding. I find sunflowers so nice.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27903 on: February 05, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »
Ah, ok. My mistake.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27904 on: February 08, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »
The strangest part of being mugged for the fifth time in less than three years is that I don't even care anymore. Being white sucks.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:01:28 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27905 on: February 08, 2018, 07:19:23 PM »
The strangest part of being mugged for the fifth time in less than three years is that I don't even care anymore. Being white sucks.

Lord, have mercy.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #27906 on: February 11, 2018, 03:24:14 AM »
Odd tidbit: I tried to claim my donations to the parish as a tax deduction this year. The software I was using didn't accept it.

Total refund this year: a whopping $31. Wonder what I'm going to do with it all.

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #27907 on: February 11, 2018, 02:57:33 PM »
Buy better tax software?
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #27908 on: February 11, 2018, 03:18:47 PM »
Could be good. Thanks. :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #27909 on: February 11, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »

Brazil is crazy.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27910 on: February 11, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »

Well that sucks...
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27911 on: February 14, 2018, 02:05:27 AM »
So um I swear this is not a brag post but I have to ask why single Orthodox men have trouble finding an Orthodox wife? I have met so many single, good looking Orthodox women both online and offline that are eager to marry. You don't have to be a good looking dude either, I'm certainly not.

My life is turning into a Pravoslavac nightmare and all the while I'm feeling a pull towards monasticism.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #27912 on: February 14, 2018, 02:23:32 AM »
So um I swear this is not a brag post but I have to ask why single Orthodox men have trouble finding an Orthodox wife? I have met so many single, good looking Orthodox women both online and offline that are eager to marry. You don't have to be a good looking dude either, I'm certainly not.

My life is turning into a Pravoslavac nightmare and all the while I'm feeling a pull towards monasticism.

That's a good question.  And I think there are much less single Orthodox men than women. Anyway, maybe there are 2 reasons:
1. Too much expectations (a paradox in the situation you described)/ not fitting into frames of potential ideal future Orthodox wife (and that's stupidity plus not enough love)
2. In countries/regions with Orthodox minority most (or many) Orthodox people know each other, so both sides are afraid to get in touch (what the rest congregation will say? What if she/he  refuses? What if we break up - will we manage to pray at the same parish, meet at Orthodox events etc.?)

I think that both points apply to both sexes, however the first one more for men (at least, that's my experience).
Sure, I may be wrong. I'm interested in other perspective on the issue, as it's my case in some way (ugh I'm not enough. . humble) as it goes from the female side.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27913 on: February 14, 2018, 03:09:46 AM »

That's a good question.  And I think there are much less single Orthodox men than women. Anyway, maybe there are 2 reasons:
1. Too much expectations (a paradox in the situation you described)/ not fitting into frames of potential ideal future Orthodox wife (and that's stupidity plus not enough love)

I can't speak to the specifically Orthodox side, but I think male incels in general (before any religious or cultural expectations enter into things) are where they are due to some combination of shallowness and untreated social anxiety. Then there are also incels like me who are just too broke for an irl relationship (working on the shallowness and the anxiety). I don't buy the "I'm not good looking enough" defense from hardly any able-bodied, healthy guy- just learn to carry yourself well or take some interpersonal classes. If Jean Paul Sartre can get a woman, then any guy can.

And then out of boredom and self-pity, we go and complain on the internet instead of actually trying to improve our lives, and thus make the problem for all guys seem worse than it actually is. Then when other guys read it, it creates a vicious circle of self-defeating behavior.

But then again, I tend to be super hard on myself (I know my singleness is entirely my own doing and I don't blame any woman for it). So perhaps in trying to generalize out from my own limited experience, I'm being uncharitable.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Αλάσκανος
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #27914 on: February 14, 2018, 03:30:16 AM »
Oh gosh, I do hope your self-identification as an "incel" doesn't extend beyond its most basic meaning.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27915 on: February 14, 2018, 03:57:12 AM »
Oh gosh, I do hope your self-identification as an "incel" doesn't extend beyond its most basic meaning.

Oh, yeah, sorry. I got into the bad habit of using that word as shorthand and I agree it has a lot of undesirable connotations. I don't believe that there's some massive conspiracy of evil sex-denying women or anything like that.

I'm an "involuntary celibate" mostly because I'm broke (and that mainly because I frittered my college years away stewing in my own depression and limped to graduation) and slowly recovering from two decades of ill-health mostly caused by obesity. I do have a lot of social anxiety, but I feel like that's fixable (not sure about my other issues). I've pretty much resigned myself to it and have little bitterness left.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:58:53 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Αλάσκανος
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #27916 on: February 14, 2018, 04:43:11 AM »
I figured that all of its baggage couldn't be true of you, but still, the ugliness associated with it made me recoil at the sight.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27917 on: February 14, 2018, 05:13:28 AM »
I figured that all of its baggage couldn't be true of you, but still, the ugliness associated with it made me recoil at the sight.

Understandable. My apologies.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27918 on: February 14, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
2. In countries/regions with Orthodox minority most (or many) Orthodox people know each other, so both sides are afraid to get in touch (what the rest congregation will say? What if she/he  refuses? What if we break up - will we manage to pray at the same parish, meet at Orthodox events etc.?)

I think that both points apply to both sexes, however the first one more for men (at least, that's my experience).
Sure, I may be wrong. I'm interested in other perspective on the issue, as it's my case in some way (ugh I'm not enough. . humble) as it goes from the female side.
To your first point, what are the expectations? I've met a few extremely pious Orthodox women that demand the same kind of piety from an Orthodox man. I think that kind of an expectation is unreasonable, you might as well pursue monasticism if that's the case.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27919 on: February 14, 2018, 09:30:23 AM »

Don't sell yourself short.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27920 on: February 14, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »

I can't speak to the specifically Orthodox side, but I think male incels in general (before any religious or cultural expectations enter into things) are where they are due to some combination of shallowness and untreated social anxiety. Then there are also incels like me who are just too broke for an irl relationship (working on the shallowness and the anxiety). I don't buy the "I'm not good looking enough" defense from hardly any able-bodied, healthy guy- just learn to carry yourself well or take some interpersonal classes. If Jean Paul Sartre can get a woman, then any guy can.

And then out of boredom and self-pity, we go and complain on the internet instead of actually trying to improve our lives, and thus make the problem for all guys seem worse than it actually is. Then when other guys read it, it creates a vicious circle of self-defeating behavior.

But then again, I tend to be super hard on myself (I know my singleness is entirely my own doing and I don't blame any woman for it). So perhaps in trying to generalize out from my own limited experience, I'm being uncharitable.

Yeah but Sartre was a creep though. I don't buy that "self-improvement" BS either. Sure there are minor things that can help but my impression of that "incel" group is the biggest problem they have is personality and there's no fixing that.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27921 on: February 14, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »

To your first point, what are the expectations? I've met a few extremely pious Orthodox women that demand the same kind of piety from an Orthodox man. I think that kind of an expectation is unreasonable, you might as well pursue monasticism if that's the case.
Yeah, I think that one of the expectations, that we could put into a general group, is having the same kind of piety. But of course, tehre is no the same type of piety for a pious Orthodox women, and for pious Orthodox men, it varies from person to person. The main clue is to ahve the same basis, general perspective.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27922 on: February 14, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
Oh, yeah, sorry. I got into the bad habit of using that word as shorthand and I agree it has a lot of undesirable connotations. I don't believe that there's some massive conspiracy of evil sex-denying women or anything like that.
Oh that's what I assumed you meant, sorry.

I'm an "involuntary celibate" mostly because I'm broke (and that mainly because I frittered my college years away stewing in my own depression and limped to graduation) and slowly recovering from two decades of ill-health mostly caused by obesity. I do have a lot of social anxiety, but I feel like that's fixable (not sure about my other issues). I've pretty much resigned myself to it and have little bitterness left.
Being broke is an impediment to meeting girls? This is anecdotal (but it seems to correlate with the generational data I've seen) but a few women my age/younger at my workplace have a boyfriend/husband that don't have a job. Two of them met even when the guys were still unemployed.

Ask a girl you like for a cup of coffee, that's cheap. If she's into you why would she mind if you are broke?

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27923 on: February 14, 2018, 09:54:58 AM »

Don't sell yourself short.

Bahahaha I am short.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27924 on: February 14, 2018, 10:05:44 AM »
Yeah, I think that one of the expectations, that we could put into a general group, is having the same kind of piety. But of course, tehre is no the same type of piety for a pious Orthodox women, and for pious Orthodox men, it varies from person to person. The main clue is to ahve the same basis, general perspective.
You're right there is a range of piety among the faithful. From my experience the ones that are more devout tend to be very critical of their partners. Even the mere perception of sin you get called a massive sinner :laugh:

A girl stopped talking to me a month ago because she thought the friends I talked to were whores and wanted no association with them!

I try not to pursue the sanctimonious types cause it won't go anywhere. I'm not knocking godliness but I need a little room to screw up nearly all the time :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:09:21 AM by RobS »

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27925 on: February 14, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »
I have to pump the brakes on dating for awhile. I am hurting pretty bad at the moment. I don't know if I want to whine about it here...

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27926 on: February 14, 2018, 11:27:38 AM »
You're right there is a range of piety among the faithful. From my experience the ones that are more devout tend to be very critical of their partners. Even the mere perception of sin you get called a massive sinner :laugh:

A girl stopped talking to me a month ago because she thought the friends I talked to were whores and wanted no association with them!

I try not to pursue the sanctimonious types cause it won't go anywhere.  I'm not knocking godliness but I need a little room to screw up nearly all the time  :laugh:

True, but some may be wiping His feet with their hair, and some may simply love their Faith.  Don't confuse devotion and piety with legalism and a judgmental attitude.  Their commonalities exist only on the surface.  :)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27927 on: February 14, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
From my own experience, she's probably crazy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27928 on: February 14, 2018, 02:30:27 PM »
Oh that's what I assumed you meant, sorry.

Yeah, it wasn't helpful for me to introduce the word, sorry.

Yeah but Sartre was a creep though.

True. But he was also pretty ugly and that's my point. Beuavoir was kind of disturbing too in her own way, but she wasn't non-functional.

I don't buy that "self-improvement" BS either. Sure there are minor things that can help but my impression of that "incel" group is the biggest problem they have is personality and there's no fixing that.

Yeah, somebody with serious personality problems might be out of luck, but for most guys I don't think shyness or awkwardness is the impossible obstacle that it often gets presented as. Of course, I'm kind of in a "physician heal thyself" place, there.

Being broke is an impediment to meeting girls? This is anecdotal (but it seems to correlate with the generational data I've seen) but a few women my age/younger at my workplace have a boyfriend/husband that don't have a job. Two of them met even when the guys were still unemployed.

Ask a girl you like for a cup of coffee, that's cheap. If she's into you why would she mind if you are broke?

Maybe it makes me atypical after all, but in my case "broke" means "impoverished." I haven't had a job in 12 years. If I didn't live with my folks, I'd be homeless. If I had a girlfriend, I'd feel like even more of a freeloader than I already do- having to borrow money just to take her for coffee, asking her to drive me places, etc. Maybe it's just a pride thing, but I can't ask that of anybody.

Hoping to change that situation in a few months, but for now I'm pretty much just taking up oxygen and bandwidth.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27929 on: February 14, 2018, 03:30:05 PM »
From my own experience, she's probably crazy.
Lol that was hardly the worst thing she said.

My buddy said it best "Where do you FIND these freaks?" She converted last year and now doesn't go to her parish because the priest isn't righteous enough to administer the sacraments. She thinks the quality of God's gifts is dependent on the priest's righteousness. And of course this all happened after her encounter with a famous hermit in the region. It reminds me of that article His Beatitude Jonah wrote on the dangers of going to a monastery if you are spiritually immature.

You haven't heard nothing yet. She made Hyperdox Herman look like a superstitious folklore Cradledox in comparison.

I warned her she's on the path to destruction and careful with the spiritual pride, lol did saying that backfire.

Unfortunately she still thought like a New-Ager when it came to religion, all directed towards the self. She was into the healing crystals, occultist and satanic stuff for a long time before Orthodoxy. She was delusional to believe she was some kind of Elder herself with all her previous "spiritual training". She would tell me stuff like how attuned she was to my energies and did a little prophesyzing.

I couldn't help but humor her with this stuff and entertain it, I probably sinned by doing so. I couldn't help it, I was so fascinated by her. Maybe she was secretly a demon...can you believe she had a copy of the Philokalia?

All that crazy weirdness aside, she was a very virtuous woman. We prayed often together, sung Psalms to each other, I would read her stuff from St. Silouan.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:41:50 PM by RobS »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #27930 on: February 14, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
If Jean Paul Sartre can get a woman, then any guy can.

So much explained right here. ;)
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27931 on: February 14, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »
She converted last year and now doesn't go to her parish because the priest isn't righteous enough to administer the sacraments. She thinks the quality of God's gifts is dependent on the priest's righteousness. And of course this all happened after her encounter with a famous hermit in the region.
St. Augustine would go crazy on them.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27932 on: February 14, 2018, 04:06:04 PM »

I'm not sure I catch your drift. I don't advocate picking up one's students (or one's wife's students) like Sartre, or having threesomes. I'm also not in to lowering the age of consent like he was. I don't even like PUAs. I was just saying that most unlucky in love guys seem to use their own looks as an excuse. Whatever his other faults, Sartre at least seemed to know how to make himself interesting to some subset of women, and that's all it really takes. I suspect RobS has the same skill. I would probably have it too, if I were capable of looking them in the eye (or holding a conversation) half the time. And that just takes not being lazy for once in my life and seeking out some help.

But I speak out of very limited experience.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27933 on: February 14, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »
She converted last year and now doesn't go to her parish because the priest isn't righteous enough to administer the sacraments. She thinks the quality of God's gifts is dependent on the priest's righteousness. And of course this all happened after her encounter with a famous hermit in the region.
Oh and she questioned the validity of her baptism too. I never got around to asking if she was going to make a pilgrimage to Mt. Athos to have it done properly.

I will not be surprised if she ends up at Mother Miriam's convent in Colorado (the same one where "Bishop" Gregory resides). She had plans to become a nun but the local monastery wouldn't take her in because she had pets, but I think there might be more to the story... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #27934 on: February 14, 2018, 04:15:16 PM »

I'm not sure I catch your drift. I don't advocate picking up one's students (or one's wife's students) like Sartre, or having threesomes. I'm also not in to lowering the age of consent like he was. I don't even like PUAs. I was just saying that most unlucky in love guys seem to use their own looks as an excuse. Whatever his other faults, Sartre at least seemed to know how to make himself interesting to some subset of women, and that's all it really takes. I suspect RobS has the same skill. I would probably have it too, if I were capable of looking them in the eye (or holding a conversation) half the time. And that just takes not being lazy for once in my life and seeking out some help.

I just meant even including Sartre in a discussion about the ability to attract the other sex probably speaks to a certain social awkwardness.

I attribute any success I had early in my long-term relationship to dumb luck, prevenient grace and youthful blindness on the part of my beloved. I mean, this is a girl who fell in love with me when I thought talking about reading Kuyper made me seem anything other than maddeningly annoying.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #27935 on: February 14, 2018, 04:16:39 PM »
Oh and she questioned the validity of her baptism too. I never got around to asking if she was going to make a pilgrimage to Mt. Athos to have it done properly.

Hyperdox Helena would never ask to be baptized on Athos. No ladies allowed.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27936 on: February 14, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
Who doesn't find existentialism sexy?

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27937 on: February 14, 2018, 04:17:37 PM »

Hyperdox Helena would never ask to be baptized on Athos. No ladies allowed.
I'm pretty sure that girl thought her piousness exceeded even the Theotokos...so an exception would have to be made!

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #27938 on: February 14, 2018, 04:19:38 PM »
Who doesn't find existentialism sexy?

I would just go down the street if I wanted to watch unemployed people smoking cigarettes and pissing on about how bored they are.

Existentialists are people with college degrees. Blue collar folks just get a YOLO tattoo and move on.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27939 on: February 14, 2018, 04:21:30 PM »

I just meant even including Sartre in a discussion about the ability to attract the other sex probably speaks to a certain social awkwardness.

I attribute any success I had early in my long-term relationship to dumb luck, prevenient grace and youthful blindness on the part of my beloved. I mean, this is a girl who fell in love with me when I thought talking about reading Kuyper made me seem anything other than maddeningly annoying.

Ok, fair enough lol.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27940 on: February 14, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
I would just go down the street if I wanted to watch unemployed people smoking cigarettes and pissing on about how bored they are.
You might as well be unemployed if you want to comb over the finer points of Sartre's Being and Nothingess. Hold a cardboard sign on the street that says "Hungry for the Truth..and a meal"

Blue collar folks would fling Sartre in the trashcan, get a YOLO tattoo and move on.
LOL exactly

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27941 on: February 14, 2018, 04:51:24 PM »
I've been trying pretty strong snus that a friend brought me from Sweden. This stuff is crazy.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27942 on: February 14, 2018, 05:02:06 PM »
I've been trying pretty strong snus that a friend brought me from Sweden. This stuff is crazy.
I've mixed snuff with guaraná (a native energetic berry, very popular in sodas) powder to keep fresh during Carnival. Most groups start early and I usually sleep way too late. One time I sniffed too much and a friend said I looked like I had used coke in the first minutes, lol
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:03:13 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27943 on: February 14, 2018, 05:07:37 PM »
I can certainly understand that. The amount of nicotine one gets from snus is insane compared to cigs and adding some else too must lead into fairly interesting results.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27944 on: February 14, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »
Unfortunately, such (or similar) stories happen to both sexes, and also to the cradles.