Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9727238 times)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27810 on: January 04, 2018, 12:53:35 AM »
Hope this works.  I couldn't get at a better angle without scaring them, but I think it's still a cute shot (if grainy).   :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:54:08 AM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #27811 on: January 04, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »
Hope this works.  I couldn't get at a better angle without scaring them, but I think it's still a cute shot (if grainy).   :)

Sweet! :)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #27812 on: January 04, 2018, 06:55:04 PM »
Aww!
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: The Angelus
  • Jurisdiction: Whichever one you think is wrong
« Reply #27813 on: January 05, 2018, 11:09:04 AM »
Bought a ukulele over the holidays. Even though it's got a weird tuning scheme, after the dulcimer it's probably the easiest instrument to pick up and play right off the shelf. Ten minutes of googling on the smartphone once I got the thing tuned and I was able to play anything I already knew from other stringed instruments on it.

I'd recommend it to anyone inclined to learn an instrument but not willing to sink a lot of money or work into it. ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:09:24 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27814 on: January 05, 2018, 01:45:56 PM »
I'm trying to sell my own ukulele, it eventually lost the hype. I considered selling my mandolin as well, but it's too dear to me, and since it has the same tuning as a violin, it could be of some help if I finally start learning it.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #27815 on: January 05, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
I'm trying to sell my own ukulele, it eventually lost the hype. I considered selling my mandolin as well, but it's too dear to me, and since it has the same tuning as a violin, it could be of some help if I finally start learning it.
Music translates the same, but remember that you'll be jumping to fretless. Not as difficult as some make it out to be, but it is different.

Or you could just use tape to mark the notes on the neck until you've got your fingers trained.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27816 on: January 05, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »
Music translates the same, but remember that you'll be jumping to fretless. Not as difficult as some make it out to be, but it is different.

Or you could just use tape to mark the notes on the neck until you've got your fingers trained.
Yeah, it's hard to get the right tone in fretless, specially in higher notes.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #27817 on: January 05, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »

Yeah, it's hard to get the right tone in fretless, specially in higher notes.
Violin was actually my first stringed experience, and when I made the jump to fretted instruments, it was like, "Oh, this is much easier."

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27818 on: January 07, 2018, 03:25:25 PM »
Young adults.

What's their deal?

So brittle and prickly and needy. And their thinking so illogical.

Middle-aged adults. What's the deal?

So committed to their neuroses; so convinced of their own superiority.

Old adults. Now about these I have nothing bad to say. Courageous and grounded, and even the clumsiest can have a certain charm.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #27819 on: January 07, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »
Temperature cracked the mid-60s today. There'd been frost on the car windows from overnight.

Bills vs. Jaguars still dull, 3-3 tie in the third quarter. Hope it gets better.

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27820 on: January 07, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »
Young adults.

What's their deal?

Old adults. Now about these I have nothing bad to say. Courageous and grounded, and even the clumsiest can have a certain charm.
"Don't get fooled by white hairs, even scoundrels get old." (Nelson Rodrigues)

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27821 on: January 07, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
Young adults.

What's their deal?

What a quote. :) Yes my own grandfather at 96 was still an arrogant and immoral man. But charming and with a certain grandeur. But to clarify, I was not talking about piety. In my experience the pious and impious exist at every age and share the age's usual weaknesses.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:20:47 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27822 on: January 09, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »
I've entered a deep existential crisis: saving sanity and time vs. saving money.  It's serious.   ;D

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #27823 on: January 09, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »
I've entered a deep existential crisis: saving sanity and time vs. saving money.  It's serious.   ;D

Sanity first.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27824 on: January 10, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »

Sanity first.

Truth.  :)

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #27825 on: January 10, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »
Young adults.

What's their deal?

In one of his homilies, St Kosmas Aitolos encourages Christian men to grow their beards long, because in their old age it indicates—like long, white pieces of wheat—that they draw near the time of harvest.  ;)
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27826 on: January 10, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »
Young adults.

What's their deal?

In one of his homilies, St Kosmas Aitolos encourages Christian men to grow their beards long, because in their old age it indicates—like long, white pieces of wheat—that they draw near the time of harvest.  ;)
In order to avoid confusion, we should shave scoundrels forcefully so only saintly men have long white beards, as Hanun the Ammonite did to Israelite soldiers.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #27827 on: January 10, 2018, 06:43:01 PM »

To paraphrase Charlie Bucket's grandpa, there's a lot of money around, and they keep making more of it, but time is just 24 hours a day for everyone, not a minute more or less, and when it's gone, it's gone. Don't trade the golden ticket for something as common as money. ;)
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27828 on: January 10, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
Why just this afternoon I was standing next to an elderly lady while we waited to board the bus, though I did not happen to find the charm. See, an elderly couple with brown skin had been driving through the parking lot and at the same time an elderly white man in a van was backing out of a handicapped spot. The man driving down the lane honked his horn, but alas the driver backing up did not react quickly enough, resulting in perhaps most gentle automobile collision I'd ever seen. All three people got out, inspected the "damage" (probably not even scratches), and then just stood around and continued to look at their vehicles like they weren't sure how to proceed. The original elderly lady I mentioned looked at me and, indicating the brown couple, said something like, "They should get rid of all of them." Perhaps if I'd spent more time with her the charm would've become apparent?
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #27829 on: January 10, 2018, 09:23:04 PM »
Young adults.

What's their deal?

In order to avoid confusion, we should shave scoundrels forcefully so only saintly men have long white beards, as Hanun the Ammonite did to Israelite soldiers.
The Greeks have one for that, too! There is a common moniker for a defrocked priest which means “one who has been shorn.”
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27830 on: January 11, 2018, 05:49:30 PM »

To paraphrase Charlie Bucket's grandpa, there's a lot of money around, and they keep making more of it, but time is just 24 hours a day for everyone, not a minute more or less, and when it's gone, it's gone. Don't trade the golden ticket for something as common as money. ;)

Also truth.   :D

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Αλάσκανος
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #27831 on: January 12, 2018, 02:46:46 AM »
What's the deal with people placing their responses above the posts they're quoting? Seems counterintuitive.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #27832 on: January 12, 2018, 04:17:12 AM »
What's the deal with people placing their responses above the posts they're quoting? Seems counterintuitive.

Rambam is extra like that.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Αλάσκανος
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #27833 on: January 12, 2018, 04:39:53 AM »

Rambam is extra like that.

He's the one doing it now, sure, but I've seen others do it too.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #27834 on: January 14, 2018, 03:15:05 AM »
Well, it does remove the extra step of having to go to the bottom of the post you're quoting, click on the screen for the text prompt, and then push Enter at least once to get a new line.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:22:09 AM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27835 on: January 14, 2018, 03:22:47 AM »
Why just this afternoon I was standing next to an elderly lady while we waited to board the bus, though I did not happen to find the charm. See, an elderly couple with brown skin had been driving through the parking lot and at the same time an elderly white man in a van was backing out of a handicapped spot. The man driving down the lane honked his horn, but alas the driver backing up did not react quickly enough, resulting in perhaps most gentle automobile collision I'd ever seen. All three people got out, inspected the "damage" (probably not even scratches), and then just stood around and continued to look at their vehicles like they weren't sure how to proceed. The original elderly lady I mentioned looked at me and, indicating the brown couple, said something like, "They should get rid of all of them." Perhaps if I'd spent more time with her the charm would've become apparent?

Been there, yep.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27836 on: January 14, 2018, 03:23:51 AM »
TFW, you've got a long post worked out and then you go to click on a different tab for a second and you accidentally close the window with the post in it.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #27837 on: January 14, 2018, 08:46:45 AM »
How strict are ecclesiological borderlines in Syria? I sometimes wonder whether Arab immigrants attending our services are actually aware of or particularly care about whether a church is EO, OO or EC. I could always ask but it feels a bit improper to pry into personal issue like this.

EDIT: Not that I'd want to judge anyone's behaviour. I'm just curious.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:53:22 AM by Alpo »
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27838 on: January 17, 2018, 06:38:05 PM »
We're using a French press for the first time.  That might have been a bad idea.   :police:

Also, my state... ???  You'd think we'd learn or something.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:45:21 PM by Ainnir »

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
« Reply #27839 on: January 17, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »
Unlike Colorado, Minnesota, even Indiana...central North Carolina will never be prepared for 8 inches of snow because it just isn't worth it to get all the equipment and supplies for something than only happens every few years.
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27840 on: January 18, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
I'll grant that.  And for us, maybe it's simpler, cheaper, and safer to shut down half the state for a day or two every year.  But I'm still ???.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27841 on: January 18, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »
Fwiw the bus I was riding in yesterday was slipping and sliding all over the place after less than half an inch of snowy precipitation. Slippy does what slippy wants I guess.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #27842 on: January 18, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »
Unlike Colorado, Minnesota, even Indiana...central North Carolina will never be prepared for 8 inches of snow because it just isn't worth it to get all the equipment and supplies for something than only happens every few years.

Right. The crews down here keep enough salt around to keep bridges open, but the roads themselves can sometimes have yards and yards of black ice.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27843 on: January 20, 2018, 05:33:51 AM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27844 on: January 20, 2018, 09:29:48 AM »
A while ago I got a call from the office of a doctor I don't remember ever visiting. They told me that they'd sent me three bills trying to get me to pay them- bills I don't recall ever seeing- and that they where about to refer me to collection services.

The amount they said I owed them- three dollars.

Collection services over three dollars? Really?

So, I just payed to get it over with but it still kind of bothered me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:30:34 AM by Volnutt »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27845 on: January 20, 2018, 03:22:00 PM »
Conversation between myself, my sister (of Portuguese descent) and her best friend (Arab):

Me: You two should see the new Van Gogh movie, it's great.
Sister: "We seen", stupid.
Friend: We have watched it, it's superb.
Me: You see? This is why your people conquered ours.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #27846 on: January 20, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »
I was bored had a lot things to do, so I've decided to create a new avatar, based on Orthodoxball ::)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27847 on: January 20, 2018, 07:01:57 PM »
Conversation between myself, my sister (of Portuguese descent) and her best friend (Arab):

Me: You two should see the new Van Gogh movie, it's great.
Sister: "We seen", stupid.
Friend: We have watched it, it's superb.
Me: You see? This is why your people conquered ours.

I hereby grant you +1 internet points.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27848 on: January 21, 2018, 07:44:33 PM »
So, it's currently almost 3 PM here and I was up all night :laugh:

Trying to make it to 9 PM or so for a chance at resetting my sleep schedule. I've been staying up all night and sleeping from 3 PM to midnight for the past month or so. I think it started with a combination of stress and caffeine.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27849 on: January 21, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »
I know that struggle. Good luck!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27850 on: January 21, 2018, 08:55:12 PM »
I know that struggle. Good luck!

Thanks.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27851 on: January 21, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »

Trying to make it to 9 PM or so for a chance at resetting my sleep schedule. I've been staying up all night and sleeping from 3 PM to midnight for the past month or so. I think it started with a combination of stress and caffeine.
Good for you. I'm keeping my aims low: taking my meds at midnight, going to sleep 2-4 AM and waking up before noon. As soon as I get back from this trip I'll try to add swimming and studying Spanish and German to my daily routine as well, at specific times.

P.S.: I meant good for you as in the resetting part
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:54:30 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27852 on: January 21, 2018, 10:55:29 PM »

Good for you. I'm keeping my aims low: taking my meds at midnight, going to sleep 2-4 AM and waking up before noon. As soon as I get back from this trip I'll try to add swimming and studying Spanish and German to my daily routine as well, at specific times.

Yeah, if I could drive I'd go to the gym or mall walk or something and that would likely help me with most things. I'm kind of a prisoner of the house right now until the ice melts, though.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27853 on: January 23, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »
I asked Google to solve the calendar issue. Here's the result.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #27854 on: January 23, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
*In Russia*
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite