Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 9698340 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27450 on: September 29, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »
If I eat an Argonian, is it cannibalism? Does Abba Hezekiah have any pastoral wisdom on this topic?

Only thing that comes to mind are certain statements he once made to Abba Alastair, which were later twisted and plagiarized by Nietzsche: "He who fights with demons should look to it that he does not join the demons." "If you gaze long into Abyssinia, then Abyssinia will begin to gaze into you." "That which you do not kill will make you stronger." Perhaps the last one is the most directly relevant, but it seems to me that they all have something to teach us about such thoughts and actions.
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #27451 on: September 29, 2017, 10:01:11 PM »
If I eat an Argonian, is it cannibalism? Does Abba Hezekiah have any pastoral wisdom on this topic?

Only thing that comes to mind are certain statements he once made to Abba Alastair, which were later twisted and plagiarized by Nietzsche: "He who fights with demons should look to it that he does not join the demons." "If you gaze long into Abyssinia, then Abyssinia will begin to gaze into you." "That which you do not kill will make you stronger." Perhaps the last one is the most directly relevant, but it seems to me that they all have something to teach us about such thoughts and actions.

And now, I go away enlightened.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27452 on: September 29, 2017, 10:02:42 PM »
Speaking of mashups: Gorillaz and The Killers- Somebody Told Me to Feel Good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGWntRUf0Y
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27453 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »
Half the threads on the front page are thread's begun by me, most recently replied to by me, with the word "My" beginning the title. I'm sure a narcissist :(
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:52:39 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27454 on: September 29, 2017, 11:22:15 PM »
Nah.  I guess some nights are quieter than others.   :) 
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27455 on: September 30, 2017, 12:27:40 AM »
So an updated version of the Romanian guide for confession contains this:
"I have eaten ( made others eat) abomination ( 'spurcăciune') , that is a live animal , human meat, satanic sacrifices, uncleanliness."

Hmm, you'd think that not many cannibals go to confession.

Many people practice nail biting.
yeah but they mention human meat.

Anyway to get Dracula to repent!  :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:31:46 AM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27456 on: September 30, 2017, 12:47:33 AM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27457 on: September 30, 2017, 02:02:25 AM »

Thanks. You're a peach. :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:03:43 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27458 on: September 30, 2017, 02:03:06 AM »

Ever stare at a .gif so long you begin to "hear" the voice of the actor speaking?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #27459 on: September 30, 2017, 02:25:35 AM »

Thanks. You're a peach. :)

Hear, O OCNet, Antonis our Mod, Antonis is One!!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27460 on: September 30, 2017, 02:43:33 AM »
Ainnir and Antonis are the same person? ???

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #27461 on: September 30, 2017, 07:14:01 AM »
Yesterday's story from my mother's work office:
A few employyes are talking emotionally:
- Have you heard? There will be 3rd mosque in Warsaw. On Puławska street!
- Oh, I've seen this builduing! It's like a military bunker. No one would destroy it.
My mother thingks: Oh my God, somebody allowed to build a mosque close to the Orthodox church?... But she asked:
- What mosque? I know only about construction of the Orthodox church there.
Another employee enters the discussion:
- Yes, it's not a mosque! That's an Orthodox church. I live in this area, one of my neighborus is Orthodox and she goes there. Quite a lot of people gathers there.
My mother:
- Yes and I've heard from the parishioners that on Saturdays there are no so many people, but on Sunday yes; they want to strengthen the new parish.

The story is about Hagia Sophia church - the first Orthodox church in its own buildung in Warsaw that's in construction after the second world war.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27462 on: September 30, 2017, 08:35:54 AM »
Ainnir and Antonis are the same person? ???

I think we're completing the Trinity of which Antonis is the Father.  I haven't had enough coffee for this, y'all.    :police: ;D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27463 on: September 30, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »
- Oh, I've seen this builduing! It's like a military bunker. No one would destroy it.
My mother thingks: Oh my God, somebody allowed to build a mosque close to the Orthodox church?... But she asked:
- Yes, it's not a mosque! That's an Orthodox church. I live in this area, one of my neighborus is Orthodox and she goes there. Quite a lot of people gathers there.
My mother:
- Yes and I've heard from the parishioners that on Saturdays there are no so many people, but on Sunday yes; they want to strengthen the new parish.

The story is about Hagia Sophia church - the first Orthodox church in its own buildung in Warsaw that's in construction after the second world war.

lol!

When I was in college, two blocks away there was a building with a dome that people kept thinking would be a mosque.  Then I met a Greek Orthodox priest of blessed memory in Glen Cove, NY who affirmed that's where his new parish would be.  At that time, I could hardly hold my excitement.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27464 on: September 30, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
From this month, there will be daily Liturgies at my parish :o
(until now, there were 2 on Sundays, plus 1 on Wednesdays, 12 great feasts plus some minor feasts).

Our new rector (from March this year), that's also my priest, is going ahead. Firstly, he introduced Akathists on Wednesday evenings and Saturday Divine Liturgies (earlier they were celebrated only on Great Lent and the great feasts).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #27465 on: September 30, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »
That's great.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27466 on: September 30, 2017, 09:56:15 PM »
Where did the term 'cakewalk' come from?

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #27467 on: September 30, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27468 on: September 30, 2017, 10:28:07 PM »
How faithless of me not to check wiki first!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27469 on: September 30, 2017, 10:51:41 PM »
My mother:

Wow, that IS something to celebrate!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #27470 on: October 01, 2017, 05:14:39 AM »
I didn't know the SOAD/Crocodile Rock mashup was originally a Neil Cicierega track lol.

Imagine All Star People- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7TmmyZnHI

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #27471 on: October 01, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »
How faithless of me not to check wiki first!

In a protestant sect I was in, a Cakewalk was held in the fall; it was a silent auction style bake sale.  The best bakers would make big cakes and participants would walk around (in my case the fellowship hall) to view the cakes set up on the tables...one would write in a bid for the cake they wanted.  Money was to raise funds for children's Sunday school supplies.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #27472 on: October 01, 2017, 01:57:38 PM »
My mother:

I suppose when the crosses will be on the church building, people will notice it is not a mosque.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27473 on: October 01, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »
My mother:

I suppose when the crosses will be on the church building, people will notice it is not a mosque.

There is one (there will be one more decorated, but this one is to make clear that's Christian) since August

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • what she said.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: All of Russia
« Reply #27474 on: October 01, 2017, 09:01:12 PM »
Merry Christmas, everybody!
sent from my iPhone.

Offline thenerdpaul

• Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #27475 on: October 01, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »

Happy Protection!
I have now seen two baby spiders over the last several days, each perhaps 2mm long. Sure they're harmless now, but what about when they grow up? They probably know that I killed their mom.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #27476 on: October 01, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • what she said.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: All of Russia
« Reply #27477 on: October 01, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »

Happy Protection!

I misread that "Happy Procreation!"
sent from my iPhone.

Offline thenerdpaul

• Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #27478 on: October 01, 2017, 10:05:25 PM »
I have now seen two baby spiders over the last several days, each perhaps 2mm long. Sure they're harmless now, but what about when they grow up? They probably know that I killed their mom.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #27479 on: October 02, 2017, 11:33:32 AM »
My mother:

There is one (there will be one more decorated, but this one is to make clear that's Christian) since August

Maybe it's the concrete but it is a very grim-looking structure. Hopefully they will paint the concrete some brighter colors? As of now it looks like a tank built by Daleks.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27480 on: October 02, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »

It looks like a baby Hagia Sophia, so cute!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #27481 on: October 02, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »
Maybe it's the concrete but it is a very grim-looking structure. Hopefully they will paint the concrete some brighter colors? As of now it looks like a tank built by Daleks.

I actually like it that way. Not sure if it looks like a church yet but it's IMO more interesting than original Hagia Sophia.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27482 on: October 03, 2017, 02:12:13 PM »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27483 on: October 03, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »

I actually like it that way. Not sure if it looks like a church yet but it's IMO more interesting than original Hagia Sophia.

This is a visualisation. So it will be probably white and green or white and gold:

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27484 on: October 03, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »

This is a visualisation. So it will be probably white and green or white and gold:

That's something like I was expecting. Looks a lot more like a church.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27485 on: October 03, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
I like it. I'm still a little skeptical of the concrete... even when painted, concrete depresses me for some reason. Maybe that's just my problem.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27486 on: October 03, 2017, 03:31:23 PM »
I like it. I'm still a little skeptical of the concrete... even when painted, concrete depresses me for some reason. Maybe that's just my problem.

You can make beautiful things from concrete. See Brutalism Appreciation Society on FB for examples.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27487 on: October 03, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
Yeah, I've seen the allegedly beautiful brutalist stuff.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
« Reply #27488 on: October 03, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
Yeah, I've seen the allegedly beautiful brutalist stuff.

Maybe I'm weird but I actually find many examples beautiful. I should sometimes make some trip to Eastern Europe just to see horrible Soviet architecture.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27489 on: October 03, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »
There's a Hagia Sophia in São Paulo too, but it's huuuuuge.

"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27490 on: October 03, 2017, 08:43:05 PM »
^ Do you have any interior photos?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27491 on: October 03, 2017, 10:54:02 PM »
Yes, I took these one year and a half ago, apart from the one of the Theotokos and the choir of the saints. Some Russian (including Patriarch Cyril and Metropolitan Hilarion), two Antiochian, and I believe one Serbian, bishops concelebrating:

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27492 on: October 04, 2017, 12:43:15 AM »
Thank you!
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27493 on: October 04, 2017, 06:04:30 AM »
10 signs you were born and raised in Poland

True for me except 3 (because my mother's family is from Warsaw and its neighbourhoods) and 7 (probably because my father is Serbian).

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #27494 on: October 05, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »
My university's having funding problems, so they closed the refectory, so some Communists and Anarchists occupied the building and are cooking the food themselves for students. They let me in after it was already closed, so I ate only with the occupiers. It was a bit strange, I feared someone would abuse me after seeing me pray, but it was OK.