Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5557312 times)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27360 on: August 30, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »
I'm at OHare airport and the powerade is cheaper than a bottle of water. 5 bucks for 20oz. Gouging!

I'm watching my little cousin right now, and you are only 3 L stops away from me as of 2:00 CST

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27361 on: August 30, 2017, 03:05:39 PM »
Also, I still refuse to pay for water unless I'm stuck working outside in the heat for an extended period and I absolutely have to ...but you can find cold bottles for a dollar.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:06:17 PM by William T »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John of Kronstadt, pray for me!
« Reply #27362 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »
Also, I still refuse to pay for water unless I'm stuck working outside in the heat for an extended period and I absolutely have to ...but you can find cold bottles for a dollar.
Yeah I hear you. Fortunately my gate is near a water fountain.

My water consumption these days is pretty much coffee...
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27363 on: August 30, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
I'm at OHare airport and the powerade is cheaper than a bottle of water. 5 bucks for 20oz. Gouging!

Ouch!  5 bucks!  How much does water cost?  A kidney?

Just a little hint.  You're not allowed to take more than 3 fluid ounces of fluid through the TSA checkpoint, but you can definitely take an empty bottle through.  So water fountain fill-up is the way to go ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:23:47 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27364 on: August 30, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »
I'm starting to reconsider the idea of moving to Portugal, too bad law education isn't very easily recognised abroad. If I went there early enough, though, I could continue it. Some credits could be assimilated.
Why do you want to move to Portugal?
Because I have Portuguese citizenship and it's easy to validate Brazilian graduation in Portugal, or even to enter a university there from Brazil. I love Brazil, but I fear for its future in terms of economy and safety.

Another reasonable option is Germany, since it's in the EU and I studied in German school.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:18:25 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27365 on: September 05, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »
PF Changs is garbage.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #27366 on: September 08, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
At one time the avg. age of regular posters here was probably in the early 20s... but it's probably in the early 30s nowadays.

Time being a passing thing.

But most posters from that time no longer post here, and I was thinking of a span in time closer to 15 years.
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27367 on: September 08, 2017, 11:48:34 PM »
I'm curious about why we say "Memory Eternal", does that have anything to do with a contrast to an old Jewish belief that any memory of a person would be lost in their death? Or we pray to God to not lose the memory of those recently departed? I've always been interested in the history of that expression. Maybe theres a blog entry on this over at Mystagogy, didnt find anything from googling.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:53:38 PM by RobS »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27368 on: September 09, 2017, 12:06:48 AM »
Remembering someone keeps them alive.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #27369 on: September 09, 2017, 08:19:53 AM »
I'm curious about why we say "Memory Eternal", does that have anything to do with a contrast to an old Jewish belief that any memory of a person would be lost in their death? Or we pray to God to not lose the memory of those recently departed? I've always been interested in the history of that expression. Maybe theres a blog entry on this over at Mystagogy, didnt find anything from googling.

I don't see why it can't be both but I've certainly heard the second reason explicitly.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #27370 on: September 09, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »

The "eternal memory" mentioned in the prayer refers to remembrance by God, rather than by the living, and is another way of praying that the soul has entered heaven and enjoys eternal life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Eternal

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=53311.0
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27371 on: September 09, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
My favorite show from the 90's?  Probably Game of Thrones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjvEdXDYgY4

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27372 on: September 09, 2017, 09:05:37 PM »

The word for "memory" is similar to the word we do in invoking the Eucharistic sacrifice.  It's not a mere memory in the western sense.  So whatever we remember in the Eucharist, we ask the same from Christ for that person in an eternal fashion.  I see it is a form of praying for the eternal presence of Christ in the afterlife.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #27373 on: September 11, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »
My favorite show from the 90's?  Probably Game of Thrones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjvEdXDYgY4

Funny!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27374 on: September 11, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
I'm not building anything else for a long time.    :police:

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #27375 on: September 13, 2017, 03:26:41 PM »
In honor of the early posts in the thread, a joke:

Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #27376 on: September 17, 2017, 10:37:23 AM »
I bought in Romania Micul Ceaslov ("Little Horologion"). This "little" contains: all morning and evening prayers; special prayers for every day of the week; prayer before a journey and prayers before and after the meal; midnight service (versions for weekday, Saturday and Sunday); Matins, all the hours, typika, vespers, compline; service of the psalms; Paschal Hours; Akathist to Jesus Christ, Akathist to the Theotokos, Akathist to the Protection of the Holy Theotokos, Akathist to st. Nicholas; 2 paraklesis to the Holy Theotokos, paraklesis of repentance to Jesus Christ, paraklesis to the Angel Guardian, paraklesis to the all Saints; prayeres before the confession; prayers before and after the Holy Eucharist; general troparions and kontakions to the saints; sinaxar for the whole year (in reality, there are written of the commemorated saints of every day of the year plus troparions and kontakions to them); troparions and kontakions for the days of the week.

And it costed 3,5$.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #27377 on: September 17, 2017, 05:18:13 PM »
Attended and received Eucharist in a Greek church in Rome today. Didn't have a chance to introduce myself to the clergy so I just got to the line when the distriburion of Eucharist started. To my suprise I wasn't asked any questions which was convenient but felt a bit careless. But I guess I looked and conductes myself like a Russian or something so they didn't got suspicious.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27378 on: September 17, 2017, 05:23:45 PM »
Attended and received Eucharist in a Greek church in Rome today. Didn't have a chance to introduce myself to the clergy so I just got to the line when the distriburion of Eucharist started. To my suprise I wasn't asked any questions which was convenient but felt a bit careless. But I guess I looked and conductes myself like a Russian or something so they didn't got suspicious.

I've never been asked any questions in Greek churches while I was approaching to the Chalice (GOARCH in New York and Washington, cathedral in Glasgow, various churches across Cyprus). If you behave as "an Orthodox" (crossing in some moments, do some prostrations, bowing or kissing icons) it should be quite obvious that you're an Orthodox. And if you're in the queue to the Chalice, it should mean that you're prepared for the Holy Eucharist.
On the other hand, I understand that priest is the Chalice's guardian and sometimes may be not so sure about certain person that he's seeing first time in his life.

Edit: but I find it stresful that I'm always not 100% that I'll receive the Eucharist at parishes others than mine (and, especially, beyond Poland). I've neve been denied, but I have such fear that one day I may be.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:25:30 PM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #27379 on: September 17, 2017, 05:31:21 PM »
Since I had a rare Saturday night free, I almost went to a small, friendly OCA parish for Vespers. They split from us 100 years ago but obviously that isn't the current crew; I have no problem praying with born Orthodox. (The local Byzantine Catholic priest and I have sung Vespers there.) I decided not to, not because of conscience but because the church is in what is now a bad city neighborhood where people might damage my car out of spite. I might try a suburban parish if there's a next time but it's far.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:31:36 PM by The young fogey »
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27380 on: September 17, 2017, 05:36:44 PM »
Since I had a rare Saturday night free, I almost went to a small, friendly OCA parish for Vespers. They split from us 100 years ago but obviously that isn't the current crew; I have no problem praying with born Orthodox. (The local Byzantine Catholic priest and I have sung Vespers there.) I decided not to, not because of conscience but because the church is in what is now a bad city neighborhood where people might damage my car out of spite. I might try a suburban parish if there's a next time but it's far.

Just not converted Orthodox, eh?  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:37:03 PM by Ainnir »

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #27381 on: September 17, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
These are ethnic Rusyns born into the Russian Metropolia/OCA, not ex-Catholics.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #27382 on: September 17, 2017, 06:41:07 PM »
Edit: but I find it stresful that I'm always not 100% that I'll receive the Eucharist at parishes others than mine (and, especially, beyond Poland). I've neve been denied, but I have such fear that one day I may be.

Never did that before but now I had gone to confession few days before and my priest encouraged approaching the chalice saying that it should not be anyhow problematic in Greek churches as we are part of the same patriarchate and all.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27383 on: September 17, 2017, 07:15:33 PM »
Why not ask your priest to write a letter that you are a faithful Orthodox in good standing and regularly partake in the sacraments? I had told my priest about travel plans and he insisted I take a letter with me.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27384 on: September 17, 2017, 07:24:11 PM »
Why not ask your priest to write a letter that you are a faithful Orthodox in good standing and regularly partake in the sacraments? I had told my priest about travel plans and he insisted I take a letter with me.

He always says that "it shouldn't be a problem, so there is no need to write such letter"; he was close to prepare such document before my travel to Romania, but when he asked his friends that had been studying in Romanian about it, he thought it's not neccessary. Well, in the end, he was right, because, despite questions of the priests giving the Communion, I partook the Eucharist there 2 times.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27385 on: September 17, 2017, 07:54:10 PM »

Wow.  Bold man.  I don't think I could do that, though it probably wouldn't be a problem in most places if I just gave them my family name if they asked.  I don't do communion too often, and when I do I prefer to do it in my hometown or in another Parish when I'm with family / friends.  It's kind of annoying living in the city I live in now all by my (Orthodox) lonesome, where I had to kind of assert myself in a parish, do confession, so I could do communion a few times a year  more than just doing it at my home Parish. I guess that may be a feeling new converts can feel.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:56:21 PM by William T »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27386 on: September 18, 2017, 09:38:26 AM »
I haven't seen "Mother!", but from what I can gather Aronofsky made an Aronofsky film, and for some reason people are surprised that it's polarizing?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27387 on: September 18, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
I haven't seen "Mother!", but from what I can gather Aronofsky made an Aronofsky film, and for some reason people are surprised that it's polarizing?

The quality of his films are a bit shaky.  I remember watching pi in college and liking it... after that his work is all over the place.   He might be a bit overrated

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27388 on: September 18, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »

The quality of his films are a bit shaky.  I remember watching pi in college and liking it... after that his work is all over the place.   He might be a bit overrated

He is overrated.

But he's also not as bad as his critics' histrionics would imply.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27389 on: September 18, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »

He is overrated.

Oh I wasn't aware he was targeted in moral crusades,  yeah if that's the case that's not good.

I was just thinking about a film like black swan where I wasn't sure if it was good or not.   To a lesser extant Christopher Nolan has similar problems with story.  I like Nolan more,  but it's a good comparison.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27390 on: September 18, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »

He is overrated.

Oh I wasn't aware he was targeted in moral crusades,  yeah if that's the case that's not good.

I was just thinking about a film like black swan where I wasn't sure if it was good or not.   To a lesser extant Christopher Nolan has similar problems with story.  I like Nolan more,  but it's a good comparison.

Black Swan was 65 percent good. The 35 percent that was bad, though, was pretty dumb.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:56:00 PM by Agabus »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27391 on: September 18, 2017, 04:53:35 PM »
Of his films, I've only seen Requiem and the Wrestler. Highly recommend the Wrestler.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27392 on: September 18, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »
Anyone ever been moved to tears during a DL? The choir at my parish is excellent, but the way they chanted the Lord's Prayer last Sunday was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. It seemed to be in a lower tone register (I don't know if that's the correct way to say it, I know nothing about music theory) than usual, but man it was truly heaven on earth.

Sorry if I'm a bit too enthusiastic, I find myself humming the DL during the work week.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #27393 on: September 18, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »
Anyone ever been moved to tears during a DL?

Yes. And also some other services (especially the Holy Week ones).

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #27394 on: September 18, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »
A moving Cherubic Hymn always gets me.

Edit:  And Pre-sanctified, every time
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:54:42 PM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27395 on: September 18, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »
I met TheTrisagion on Sunday and it was just about what I expected.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #27396 on: September 18, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
Sort of sad, I can't believe Bobby Hennan is dead,  he was a great manager and color commentator watching wrestling growing up as a kid,  he was very Humorus, yet not too corny. 

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27397 on: September 18, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »

Sexy! 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27398 on: September 18, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »

Hope he's doing well.  :)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27399 on: September 18, 2017, 09:47:19 PM »
+1

If you see him again tell him I said hi!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:47:46 PM by minasoliman »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27400 on: September 18, 2017, 11:17:49 PM »
Harrisburg that bad of a place?

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27401 on: September 19, 2017, 12:18:58 AM »

He is overrated.

Black Swan was 65 percent good. The 35 percent that was bad, though, was pretty dumb.

I just read about Mother, my impression is that it's the worst of Aronfvsky.  Some overly symbolic thing that teenage / college boys may get into to annoy their parents and/or seem profound when they try and pick up girls.  It's the Requiem of a Dream for the new generation.  I liked that movie when it first came out, I'm embarrassed about that fact now.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:21:08 AM by William T »

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #27402 on: September 19, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »

I'm jealous.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27403 on: September 19, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »

I'm jealous.

I'm jealous of your avatar.  Brilliant!
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #27404 on: September 19, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »

Sexy!

You miss that barrel chest and those rippling abs?