Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5545867 times)

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Please forgive the embarrasing avatar mishap.
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27180 on: August 07, 2017, 12:28:56 AM »
I go to an old calendar parish, but I like to double dip when I can for major feasts and visit new calendar churches. I happened to be traveling this weekend and there was a parish of the Bulgarian diocese of the OCA on my route so I stopped there for liturgy this am.  I thought I have a crack and getting some fruit blessed early, so I made a detour to pick up some apples. The didn't do the blessing of the firstfruits though, is that strange? I thought everybody in the Northern Hemisphere blessed fruits for Transfiguration.
No blessings of first fruits, just the one-year memorial of the founding priest of the Antiochian parish in Delaware I visited (Archpriest Boniface Black. Memory Eternal!)

Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27181 on: August 07, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
I go to an old calendar parish, but I like to double dip when I can for major feasts and visit new calendar churches. I happened to be traveling this weekend and there was a parish of the Bulgarian diocese of the OCA on my route so I stopped there for liturgy this am.  I thought I have a crack and getting some fruit blessed early, so I made a detour to pick up some apples. The didn't do the blessing of the firstfruits though, is that strange? I thought everybody in the Northern Hemisphere blessed fruits for Transfiguration.

All the OCA parishes in this area blessed fruits yesterday, at least once (one parish did it twice). 

In the Oriental traditions which have this practice, fruits are blessed on Dormition, not on Transfiguration. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #27182 on: August 07, 2017, 04:44:37 PM »

That's quite strange because blessing of the fruits (which kind - it depends on the climate) is prescribed in the festal menaion.

Yesterday it was first time for me since 2009 to celebrate the Transfiguration feast on the new calendar (even when my parish was on the calendar until 2014, I was celebrating this feast since my first foot pilgrimage to Grabarka on the old calendar because on the 19th August on the Holy Mount Grabarka there are the greatest Orthodox celebrations; only in 2009, when it was my 1st pilgrimage, I celebrate it twice). I was in the Greek Orthodox cathedral in Glasgow and there was blessing of the grapes (prepated by the parish ( and then everybody received some of them. In Poland it looks differently because it's the task of the faithful to prepare small baskets cointaining apples, grapes and sometimes other fruits (some people decorate the baskets similarly like on the Great Saturday). This year I'll eat the blessed fruits the second time since I'll attend tbe foot pilgrimage to the Grabarka monastery ;)

Anyway, I've seen the pics from Antiochian churches in Lebanin and Syria celebrating the Transfiguration this year and they had normally blessing of the grapes.

In the Oriental traditions which have this practice, fruits are blessed on Dormition, not on Transfiguration. 

Can be thr climate the reason?... Or it used to be (it is) the way tp be different fr the EOs?....
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #27183 on: August 07, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
I might be moving to El Paso, TX.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:28:12 PM by mcarmichael »
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #27184 on: August 07, 2017, 05:21:34 PM »

Can be thr climate the reason?... Or it used to be (it is) the way tp be different fr the EOs?....

I'm not sure of the reason.  At least in our (Syriac) tradition, there are three "agricultural" feasts of the Virgin Mary: 15 January (on which we ask her intercession for the seeds), 15 May (on which we ask her intercession for the crops), and 15 August (Dormition, obviously, but also the day on which we ask her intercession for the vines).  Furthermore, many of our prayers and hymns refer to Mary as the vine who bore the cluster of life (an image which is both incarnational and eucharistic).  The blessing of grapes, then, is appropriate on 15 August. 

As to the reason for the tradition being different among EO, I'm not sure exactly.  I kept the feast at an EO church yesterday and I paid attention to the prayer of blessing for the fruits.  There's nothing in there that specifically refers to the Transfiguration, it's a rather generic prayer of blessing.  There's nothing wrong with that of course, although I was kind of annoyed I didn't get a few grapes.  :P 

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27185 on: August 07, 2017, 09:24:25 PM »

I'm not sure of the reason.  At least in our (Syriac) tradition, there are three "agricultural" feasts of the Virgin Mary: 15 January (on which we ask her intercession for the seeds), 15 May (on which we ask her intercession for the crops), and 15 August (Dormition, obviously, but also the day on which we ask her intercession for the vines).  Furthermore, many of our prayers and hymns refer to Mary as the vine who bore the cluster of life (an image which is both incarnational and eucharistic).  The blessing of grapes, then, is appropriate on 15 August. 

As to the reason for the tradition being different among EO, I'm not sure exactly.  I kept the feast at an EO church yesterday and I paid attention to the prayer of blessing for the fruits.  There's nothing in there that specifically refers to the Transfiguration, it's a rather generic prayer of blessing.  There's nothing wrong with that of course, although I was kind of annoyed I didn't get a few grapes.  :P

The Indian folks who attend my Greek parish showed up with fruit on Transfiguration.

I guess they've just been around long enough to know that if you want the blessed fruit, that's when you get it done round here.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #27186 on: August 07, 2017, 09:27:19 PM »

The Indian folks who attend my Greek parish showed up with fruit on Transfiguration.

I guess they've just been around long enough to know that if you want the blessed fruit, that's when you get it done round here.

It's a nice custom that, in the Indian Church at least, has fallen into abeyance, so why quibble over eight days when it just means you can enjoy holy mangoes earlier. 

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #27187 on: August 07, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27188 on: August 07, 2017, 10:21:46 PM »
Yea, people seem to be coming back lately
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #27189 on: August 07, 2017, 11:06:24 PM »
In honor of 7 August 2017:

Psalm 81:3,4

Sound the ram’s horn at the New Moon, and when the moon is full, on the day of our festival;
this is a decree for Israel, an ordinance of the God of Jacob.

In honor of 21 August 2017:

Ben Sira 17:31

Is anything brighter than the sun? Yet it can be eclipsed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:10:25 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #27190 on: August 08, 2017, 09:34:24 AM »

It's not really you.  It's your evil doppleganger.  How's Annie?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27191 on: August 08, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »

The good Dale is in the Lodge, and he can't leave.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27192 on: August 08, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »

Me and you are gonna be friends. :)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27193 on: August 08, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
Nice! Where have you been?
God bless!

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27194 on: August 08, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »
Nice! Where have you been?

Nowhere in particular, just not here. Time goes by too quickly.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27195 on: August 08, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27196 on: August 08, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »

I'll swing by the RR and pick up some coffee and donuts.  Bookhouse Boys for life.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:17:56 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27197 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »
You don't have to do anything.
Well I just got scolded by Father tonight for not wearing my baptismal cross and just my cheapo military Orthodox cross. He says he has to bless it but I thought you didn't need to since any cross is already in a way blessed.

Oh well. And Father gave me a hard time for not wearing my white baptismal outfit at Vespers either. I said but Father it ain't the 3rd century anymore.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27198 on: August 09, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »
You don't have to do anything.
Well I just got scolded by Father tonight for not wearing my baptismal cross and just my cheapo military Orthodox cross. He says he has to bless it but I thought you didn't need to since any cross is already in a way blessed.

Oh well. And Father gave me a hard time for not wearing my white baptismal outfit at Vespers either. I said but Father it ain't the 3rd century anymore.

Wow. How ungrateful of you. And what did you expect the assembled martyrs of the third century to think when they heard your dismissal?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27199 on: August 09, 2017, 10:27:15 PM »
Wow. How ungrateful of you. And what did you expect the assembled martyrs of the third century to think when they heard your dismissal?
Dismissal? Oh Lord, I was making a joke about how in the earlier centuries the newly baptized had to wear a white robe for 40 days. It was a playful conversation. It started by him teasing me about wearing street clothes tonight for Vespers, and I totally forgot about the whole 40 day white robe thing. Father and I crack jokes all the time. He's got a wicked sense of humor. I adore the man.

And ungrateful how? If you are talking about my cross well  I don't want to lose it because 1) I have a knack for losing jewelry 2) The chain isn't the best so it'll break sooner than later. My Orthodox military cross is cheap and works. I'm not spending hundreds of dollars for a better gold chain.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:27:32 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27200 on: August 09, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »
Dismissal? Oh Lord, I was making a joke about how in the earlier centuries the newly baptized had to wear a white robe for 40 days. It was a playful conversation. It started by him teasing me about wearing street clothes tonight for Vespers, and I totally forgot about the whole 40 day white robe thing. Father and I crack jokes all the time. He's got a wicked sense of humor. I adore the man.

And ungrateful how? If you are talking about my cross well  I don't want to lose it because 1) I have a knack for losing jewelry 2) The chain isn't the best so it'll break sooner than later. My Orthodox military cross is cheap and works. I'm not spending hundreds of dollars for a better gold chain.

Sure, change your story.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27201 on: August 09, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »
Yeah take a seat, Yosemite Sam.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #27202 on: August 09, 2017, 10:58:49 PM »
Was he seriously expecting you to walk around in a white robe for 40 days?
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27203 on: August 09, 2017, 11:17:13 PM »
Was he seriously expecting you to walk around in a white robe for 40 days?
Lol no. Talk to Cognomen, he had to do it. :laugh:

When I got baptized I used my godparent's robe then changed into a white hoodie and sweatpants before Chrismation. I jokingly asked him during coffee hour if I had to wear this outfit for 40 days, he said something about 7 days but obviously not practical. Again all in good humor.

Actually I wouldn't mind wearing sweats to services since it's very comfy. I already got an earful always wearing jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers. :laugh:

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27204 on: August 09, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »
Who gave you an earful?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27205 on: August 09, 2017, 11:59:36 PM »
I had to stay for three days without washing, but it was very cold at this time, fortunately... three days unshowered under 40 Celsius would be serious ascetic stuff.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27206 on: August 10, 2017, 12:00:58 AM »
My baptismal sheet was accidentally washed by my mother.  :P

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #27207 on: August 10, 2017, 01:44:58 AM »
I might be moving to El Paso, TX.

On purpose!?
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #27208 on: August 10, 2017, 01:50:25 AM »
I'm not spending hundreds of dollars for a better gold chain.

See, if you stopped spending hundreds on Big Baller Brand shoes you'd have more money for things like that!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27209 on: August 10, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »
I'm not spending hundreds of dollars for a better gold chain.

See, if you stopped spending hundreds on Big Baller Brand shoes you'd have more money for things like that!
;D
God bless!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27210 on: August 10, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
One of these days I had the following conversation at the hospital front desk:

Receptionist: What's your religion?
Me: Why?
Receptionist: Just data collection.
Me: I'm an Orthodox Christian.
Receptionist: Well, I'll just write "other".
Me: Maybe you can write "Catholic"... (she writes it) But if I die there, you should call an Orthodox priest, not a Roman Catholic one.
Receptionist (making a surprised face and almost jumping from the chair): OK, ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN.
Me: Calm down, lady, I'm just kidding, it's just a cough.
Receptionist: I'm writing it, I'm writing it, I just didn't expect this today.

Maybe some jokes shouldn't be cracked on the hospital.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:45:10 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27211 on: August 10, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »
Hey I stopped that a long time ago!

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #27212 on: August 10, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »

Pics or it didn't happen! Has to be a spoon baptismal robe+cross pic in front of the closet to be valid  :P

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27213 on: August 10, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »

Pics or it didn't happen! Has to be a spoon baptismal robe+cross pic in front of the closet to be valid  :P
Can I wear a robe to liturgy?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27214 on: August 10, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »
I know a guy who would wear a Chinese robe to Liturgy, we called him Shanghai. But it seems he freaked out and converted to Judaism.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27215 on: August 10, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
I know a guy who would wear a Chinese robe to Liturgy, we called him Shanghai. But it seems he freaked out and converted to Judaism.

Was he Chinese?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27216 on: August 10, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
Rapha it was an inside baseball joke that I think only Asteriktos would get.  ;D

But a chinese robe? Pics please.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27217 on: August 10, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »
He wasn't Chinese, just eccentric, but I miss him, great guy.

A imagem pode conter: 1 pessoa, área interna

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27218 on: August 10, 2017, 04:33:50 PM »

And now we come full circle.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27219 on: August 10, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »
He wasn't Chinese, just eccentric, but I miss him, great guy.

Jetavan?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27220 on: August 10, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27221 on: August 10, 2017, 08:37:29 PM »
LOL, there's more to this comparison than you'd think

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27222 on: August 11, 2017, 12:44:53 AM »
The kombucha mushroom people, sitting around all day. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #27223 on: August 11, 2017, 01:19:51 AM »

Who can believe you?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27224 on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »

Who can believe you?
Let hecma's mother pray.