Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5542925 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27135 on: August 01, 2017, 06:34:58 AM »
Ok, there's a triple threat wrestling match this morning: Indocern vs. JamesR vs. beebert

Who you got? I'm gonna say beebert wins because he's an ironman, and indocern and JamesR are gonna knock each other out, either that or outside interference from someone costs those two their chance at the victory
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27136 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
 :D

I miss JamesR
God bless!

Online Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27137 on: August 01, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
:D

I miss JamesR

His resurrection made my morning. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #27138 on: August 01, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »
Ok, there's a triple threat wrestling match this morning: Indocern vs. JamesR vs. beebert

Who you got? I'm gonna say beebert wins because he's an ironman, and indocern and JamesR are gonna knock each other out, either that or outside interference from someone costs those two their chance at the victory

beebert ko's JamesR with a hard slap in the first five minutes and then proceeds to manhandle Indocern until the latter blows some sort of poison powder into beebert's eyes while the ref isn't looking and starts to abuse him in the worst way.  A crying Miss Elizabeth then flees into the locker room and leads Asteriktos out to the squared circle where, to the thunderous adulation of the crowd, he proceeds to dismantle Indocern who flees in a panic.  Asteriktos then helps beebert to his feet, and they become a new tag team sensation, gearing up to challenge Mor and Mina for the tag team title.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #27139 on: August 01, 2017, 02:40:50 PM »
What would one do if say you forget your card at a restaurant then you return after an hour only to find out they accidentally gave the card away to some other person. Other than canceling the card obviously. 
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
« Reply #27140 on: August 01, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
What would one do if say you forget your card at a restaurant then you return after an hour only to find out they accidentally gave the card away to some other person. Other than canceling the card obviously.

Make sure nobody has made any charges on the card after you left it at the restaurant, if they did you can file fraud claims with your bank. You wont be responsible for any fraudulent charges.

But yes you should close the card and report it as lost to your bank. They will issue a new one with a new number. Ask them to expedite the card to you as well and you should get it in 2 days rather than a week later.

There's nothing else you can do.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:56:20 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #27141 on: August 02, 2017, 04:05:59 AM »
I joined a local organic food cooperative a while ago. The organic part is bit of humbug but it feels nice to know first time in my life where does my food come from. Now  if someone just cooked me some moonshine I would have everything I need for life.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #27142 on: August 02, 2017, 10:32:52 PM »
I was really shocked that no one asked me for the credit card password in the US, I guess Americans don't deal with stolen cards as often.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27143 on: August 02, 2017, 10:38:13 PM »
I was really shocked that no one asked me for the credit card password in the US, I guess Americans don't deal with stolen cards as often.
You mean the 4 digit PIN number? You have one of those chip cards? Chip card readers haven't been adopted everywhere yet, but I'm surprised they let you swipe instead of using the chip slot, if you do have a chip card.

And yeah stolen cards is pretty common. I just had to get a new card issued as someone made a counterfeit card with my old card number and tried to use it at a Walmart. My bank declined it and I got a call from the fraud department to verify purchases.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27144 on: August 02, 2017, 10:39:03 PM »

The staff is supposed to compare your signature with the signature on the back of the card. Credit card and identity theft are huge, huge problems here. If we don't demand stricter security, it's just that we Americans are used to taking whatever abuse is handed to us by our betters.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27145 on: August 02, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »
Mine does have a chip, and I did sign once, but there's no signature on my credit card anyway. Funny thing, Americans (or at least people in NYC) seem to adhere to so many formalities to ensure everything's OK.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27146 on: August 02, 2017, 10:53:22 PM »

The staff is supposed to compare your signature with the signature on the back of the card. Credit card and identity theft are huge, huge problems here. If we don't demand stricter security, it's just that we Americans are used to taking whatever abuse is handed to us by our betters.
Not they aren't and they can't ask for ID either.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27147 on: August 02, 2017, 10:54:57 PM »

What are you talking about? Cashiers do both those things all the time. Just not lazy cashiers. But, seriously, what's your problem?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27148 on: August 02, 2017, 10:55:26 PM »
Mine does have a chip, and I did sign once, but there's no signature on my credit card anyway. Funny thing, Americans (or at least people in NYC) seem to adhere to so many formalities to ensure everything's OK.
If I recall, you are only asked for a signature depending on the amount and merchant. The local gyro place near me always asks for my signature even if I spent 6 bucks there. Other larger chains, there's no fussing with a signature.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #27149 on: August 02, 2017, 10:56:34 PM »
Despite regular use, I've only been asked for ID once in the last few years... it was at a Salvation Army (seriously)  :laugh:
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27150 on: August 02, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »

What are you talking about? Cashiers do both those things all the time. Just not lazy cashiers. But, seriously, what's your problem?
They aren't supposed to, it's against card regulations. Even merchants who don't accept cards under a certain dollar amount can't do that either. They have to accept cards regardless of the amount.

No problem, just correcting some misconceptions as I have experience in the payment card industry.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27151 on: August 02, 2017, 11:29:58 PM »
Whole Foods asked my father (who's 51 years old) for his ID because he wanted to buy a drink with 0.5% alcohol lol

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27152 on: August 03, 2017, 12:53:22 AM »

They aren't supposed to, it's against card regulations. Even merchants who don't accept cards under a certain dollar amount can't do that either. They have to accept cards regardless of the amount.

No problem, just correcting some misconceptions as I have experience in the payment card industry.

You're either completely misunderstanding, or completely wrong. Making sure a card being used to pay is not stolen is a very important merchant responsibility. Cashiers check the back for the signature routinely. They're trained to lay the card down signature up rather than just hand it back.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27153 on: August 03, 2017, 07:28:17 AM »
LOL if you think a cashier is going to do a serious signature examination. You can put whatever scribble on the back of your card, it doesnt matter. No merchant is going to know if the physical card is stolen unless the card terminal presents a message saying a "pickup card" or something. That means the issuing bank already put a block on the card preventing authroizations to occur. The introduction of chip cards in America is actually to shift fraud liability back to issuing banks if the merchant is compliant in how they process chip transactions.

Most places these days you dont even present a card to a cashier, but swipe or insert a card at the terminal in front of you.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27154 on: August 03, 2017, 06:41:43 PM »
^ That's what I said before.

What he is saying is that merchants are not permitted to conduct card security measures. ::)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27155 on: August 03, 2017, 06:59:38 PM »
But he's talking about chip card or debit PIN. Nothing to do with a signature.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27156 on: August 03, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »
Nope. Rapha was talking about when he doesn't use a PIN.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27157 on: August 03, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »
Where are people getting their Choir of Ormylia CDs? I can't pin down an online source.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27158 on: August 03, 2017, 08:02:58 PM »
You're either completely misunderstanding, or completely wrong. Making sure a card being used to pay is not stolen is a very important merchant responsibility. Cashiers check the back for the signature routinely. They're trained to lay the card down signature up rather than just hand it back.

Cashiers rarely touch my (unsigned) card(s)--maybe 2% of the time.  No one has ever IDed me in order to pay for anything with plastic.  Maybe it's a southern thing.   ???

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27159 on: August 03, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »

Cashiers rarely touch my (unsigned) card(s)--maybe 2% of the time.  No one has ever IDed me in order to pay for anything with plastic.  Maybe it's a southern thing.   ???

Try shopping more at Brooks Brothers.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #27160 on: August 03, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »

check the transactions, and get a new card.  You can get a cash card at your bank while you wait if you don't have one already

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #27161 on: August 03, 2017, 08:37:08 PM »

check the transactions, and get a new card.  You can get a cash card at your bank while you wait if you don't have one already
thanks! Yeah I cancelled it. Was more interested as to how to proceed with those incompetent people at the Hopleaf.  But I let it go. I don't wait that waitress to lose her job.
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27162 on: August 03, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »

thanks! Yeah I cancelled it. Was more interested as to how to proceed with those incompetent people at the Hopleaf.  But I let it go. I don't wait that waitress to lose her job.

From how it sounds it was most likely  an honest mistake...I wouldn't really ream into the server unless she was grossly incompetent and a horrible person at the same time, or if it really royally screwed you over somehow, so I think you did the right thing. The hopleaf is a fun little place though. good food and beer
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:45:01 PM by William T »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27163 on: August 03, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
LOL I didn't know that's what you wanted. There's lots of ways that could be handled...

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27164 on: August 03, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »

Try shopping more at Brooks Brothers.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Naw.  We have a couple in the state though.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27165 on: August 04, 2017, 12:31:25 AM »
The only time cashiers might ask for ID is if they look at the back of my cards.  I don't put my signature on them.  Even if they see that it isn't signed, usually they don't even ask.

My wife wrote "Check ID" on her cards...it's even rarer that she's asked to show ID.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #27166 on: August 04, 2017, 07:55:16 AM »
I don't even remember the last time someone asked me for my ID when using a credit card. I don't even have one of those chip things. It's the old slide card. I suppose the bubble-gum chewing teenagers manning the cash registers aren't too concerned about the ramifications of credit card fraud and its implications on the financial industry.  :P
God bless!

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #27167 on: August 04, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
LOL I didn't know that's what you wanted. There's lots of ways that could be handled...

Throw the Italian American Accent on this, and this becomes a very interesting comment

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27168 on: August 04, 2017, 08:09:35 PM »

Throw the Italian American Accent on this, and this becomes a very interesting comment

From my observation of Romanian men, they don't need Italian mob backup.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #27169 on: August 04, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »

From my observation of Romanian men, they don't need Italian mob backup.

From my experience, no, they don't. 
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27170 on: August 04, 2017, 11:28:39 PM »
I don't even remember the last time someone asked me for my ID when using a credit card. I don't even have one of those chip things. It's the old slide card. I suppose the bubble-gum chewing teenagers manning the cash registers aren't too concerned about the ramifications of credit card fraud and its implications on the financial industry.  :P

Speaking of, guess who just had their card number stolen??   8)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27171 on: August 05, 2017, 12:28:07 PM »
Dumb question, but I don't have to wear my baptismal cross right? I have a cheap military Orthodox chain I'd rather wear or a gold necklace with a crucifix my mother gave me. I was just going to leave my baptismal cross at my "work-in-progress" prayer corner.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27172 on: August 05, 2017, 04:11:31 PM »

Oh no!!

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27173 on: August 05, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »

Oh no!!

It's not super convenient, I'll say that!  They tried to wipe out our checking account.  But our bank seems pretty easy to work with, and there have been worse times to be hit with something like that.  I'll count my blessings and be more careful in the future.  :)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27174 on: August 05, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
Dumb question, but I don't have to wear my baptismal cross right? I have a cheap military Orthodox chain I'd rather wear or a gold necklace with a crucifix my mother gave me. I was just going to leave my baptismal cross at my "work-in-progress" prayer corner.

You don't have to do anything.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27175 on: August 06, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »
I'm really very glad right now, turns out my internship put me as staff on an international conference with some of the greatest scholars of private international law in the world, so I saw some great lectures and made awesome connections! Not bragging, it was no rocket science, just luck, and although this internship is easy and voluntary, I knew from the beginning I should be excited for it. Glory be to God!

Now I should delete the weirdest stuff from my Facebook page so I can add them all. I think I'll stop posting there, I have 2000+ friends and they really can't behave... since I added my boss I had to delete, for instance, racist jokes from a fake profile or suggestions that I should bomb public buildings.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:07:33 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27176 on: August 06, 2017, 08:12:43 PM »
^ Ah youth.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27177 on: August 06, 2017, 09:42:46 PM »
I'm really very glad right now, turns out my internship put me as staff on an international conference with some of the greatest scholars of private international law in the world, so I saw some great lectures and made awesome connections! Not bragging, it was no rocket science, just luck, and although this internship is easy and voluntary, I knew from the beginning I should be excited for it. Glory be to God!

Now I should delete the weirdest stuff from my Facebook page so I can add them all. I think I'll stop posting there, I have 2000+ friends and they really can't behave... since I added my boss I had to delete, for instance, racist jokes from a fake profile or suggestions that I should bomb public buildings.

This both boggles and blows my mind.  I can't imagine...

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #27178 on: August 06, 2017, 10:18:44 PM »
I go to an old calendar parish, but I like to double dip when I can for major feasts and visit new calendar churches. I happened to be traveling this weekend and there was a parish of the Bulgarian diocese of the OCA on my route so I stopped there for liturgy this am.  I thought I have a crack and getting some fruit blessed early, so I made a detour to pick up some apples. The didn't do the blessing of the firstfruits though, is that strange? I thought everybody in the Northern Hemisphere blessed fruits for Transfiguration.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27179 on: August 07, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »
This both boggles and blows my mind.  I can't imagine...
too much pointless internet surfing after 7 years on Facebook. :-\