Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5879050 times)

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27090 on: July 22, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
I'm not good at a lot of things, but money is what I'm not good at the most.
Welcome to the club.

Money is water and life is a sieve.   :-\
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27091 on: July 22, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »
For my 35,001st post I bring you a battle for the ages: Baby Goat Tries to Headbutt Cat

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27092 on: July 22, 2017, 08:32:28 PM »
For my 35,001st post I bring you a battle for the ages: Baby Goat Tries to Headbutt Cat

Axios!
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #27093 on: July 22, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »

Adorable.  Makes me feel incredibly guilty that I had goat for dinner tonight.  :'(
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27094 on: July 22, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »

Cat: hey kid, you don't wanna meowss with me!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #27095 on: July 22, 2017, 10:13:15 PM »
I felt like for the first 33 years of my life, things were alway really tight, and then about 4 years ago, I got a new job and all my finances fell into place. For the first time in my life, I finally don't have to stress about money any more. We are still really frugal out of habit, but at least now its not to survive.
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27096 on: July 22, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
I felt like for the first 33 years of my life, things were alway really tight, and then about 4 years ago, I got a new job and all my finances fell into place. For the first time in my life, I finally don't have to stress about money any more. We are still really frugal out of habit, but at least now its not to survive.

I love to hear this! And thank God on your behalf. However, keeping in mind that only about 5% of the population earns enough to be "comfortable," I feel almost intellectually dishonest, not to mention unempathetic, hoping for a similar good fate. If extended families lived (relatively) together and supported each other, the situation can still be okay, but unfortunately I'm like so many Americans -- completely fragmented from family and community. Lord, have mercy on us all.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27097 on: July 22, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
It doesn't help that I'm trying to make a living in technology, the only place I have experience, when I suffer from cognitive impairment. Each week I feel the gig is up and I'll be canned. I hold my breath for the day I have to live on the street or cross the country to find a relative to take me in. The suspense is so painful I want just to give in to that eventuality right now, but of course the part wherein I lose my little daughters makes that impossible. So I carry on. God save us.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27098 on: July 22, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »
It doesn't help that I'm trying to make a living in technology, the only place I have experience, when I suffer from cognitive impairment. Each week I feel the gig is up and I'll be canned. I hold my breath for the day I have to live on the street or cross the country to find a relative to take me in. The suspense is so painful I want just to give in to that eventuality right now, but of course the part wherein I lose my little daughters makes that impossible. So I carry on. God save us.
If it's any solace, well not really but still, most if not nearly all Americans are in precarious situations with varying degrees. Who isn't a precariat these days? It is so easy to lose everything you have very quickly if you lose your job. The level of insecurity Americans face it's no surprise how stressed out one can get which wrecks havoc on the psyche.

So you have my deepest sympathies. I don't know what each week is like for you, but if what you say is true, maybe you can elaborate on your anxiety of getting fired. How horrible it is to be in a state of dreadful suspense.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:58:07 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #27099 on: July 22, 2017, 10:57:30 PM »
 :'(

I do feel almost guilty because I hear of so many people struggling. I try to help those around me that I know because I've been there myself.
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27100 on: July 22, 2017, 11:00:28 PM »

I do feel almost guilty because I hear of so many people struggling. I try to help those around me that I know because I've been there myself.

Well, don't feel guilty as long as you help folks out with time and treasure when you can. It's not like you're hoarding or splurging vast quantities. The truth is more should be situated as you are. And the truth is that this is part of your salvation story -- everybody has his or her own -- sometimes Christ prunes and sometimes Christ fertilizes (according to the parable of the gardener and the fruit trees).

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27101 on: July 22, 2017, 11:02:54 PM »

Survivor's guilt for me comes from experience, being keenly aware of how lucky you have it, and politically leftwing, unfortunately. One of Fr. Hopko's maxims I have to keep reminding myself is not to compare myself with others, because it's real easy to see the amount of suffering and hardship people go through and not getting depressed about it. Iconodule is right, if you live in this world how can you not feel even a little depressed. I've asked God before the why things are the way they are and why I'm more fortunate than others, but it's not really any of my business what He does. God's ways are not my ways. Wicked people can prosper and those that are godly can suffer. All I can do is give thanksgiving to God for what He has provided me and use whatever that have been given me to help those in need, instead of trying to figure things out (another Fr. Hopko maxim). There's peace in that, at least it is for me. Trust me I've let my mind wander into the darkest of places over these kind of things but all it did was fuel cynicism.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 11:27:21 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27102 on: July 23, 2017, 12:28:16 AM »

Survivor's guilt for me comes from experience, being keenly aware of how lucky you have it, and politically leftwing, unfortunately. One of Fr. Hopko's maxims I have to keep reminding myself is not to compare myself with others, because it's real easy to see the amount of suffering and hardship people go through and not getting depressed about it. Iconodule is right, if you live in this world how can you not feel even a little depressed. I've asked God before the why things are the way they are and why I'm more fortunate than others, but it's not really any of my business what He does. God's ways are not my ways. Wicked people can prosper and those that are godly can suffer. All I can do is give thanksgiving to God for what He has provided me and use whatever that have been given me to help those in need, instead of trying to figure things out (another Fr. Hopko maxim). There's peace in that, at least it is for me. Trust me I've let my mind wander into the darkest of places over these kind of things but all it did was fuel cynicism.

Observe little children. They are sad and distraught when some disappointment or disaster falls on them, but normally they are happy. The bad thing comes as a surprise, is reacted to in a very open way that cleanses the soul, and soon forgotten. It is only when we grow smart enough to pride ourselves on an ability to know the world, to analyze things politically, to predict trends, and so on that we grow to inhabit apprehensiveness and depression as normal. While at the same time, normally, we hide our emotions and suppress their natural cleansing function. In short, we lead unnatural lives, because we are grown and modern, and thus we grow to be unnatural organisms and suffer unduly.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27103 on: July 23, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
scofflaw

a person who flouts the law, especially by failing to comply with a law that is difficult to enforce effectively

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27104 on: July 23, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »

Observe little children. They are sad and distraught when some disappointment or disaster falls on them, but normally they are happy. The bad thing comes as a surprise, is reacted to in a very open way that cleanses the soul, and soon forgotten. It is only when we grow smart enough to pride ourselves on an ability to know the world, to analyze things politically, to predict trends, and so on that we grow to inhabit apprehensiveness and depression as normal. While at the same time, normally, we hide our emotions and suppress their natural cleansing function. In short, we lead unnatural lives, because we are grown and modern, and thus we grow to be unnatural organisms and suffer unduly.
Thanks Porter, I appreciate this post. I bolded what highlights a big problem I've had as of late. Although I feel I'm making some progress overcoming that obstacle and receiving the kingdom like a child.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 03:17:25 PM by nothing »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #27105 on: July 23, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »
My holiday of four weeks is over and I have to get back to work tomorrow. Unfortunately for some reason my flu also got worse. Wish it was as bad that I could take a sick leave.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27106 on: July 23, 2017, 06:09:58 PM »
Russian icons are beautiful, probably my favorite kind.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27107 on: July 23, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
My holiday of four weeks is over and I have to get back to work tomorrow. Unfortunately for some reason my flu also got worse. Wish it was as bad that I could take a sick leave.
Curse you Europeans and generous time off!

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #27108 on: July 24, 2017, 01:07:15 AM »

The question of God's mercy has occupied my mind for years. Time and time again, I have been spared suffering I believe I have absolutely deserved. Recent events and future possibilities have made me acutely aware of these mercies, and I am flabbergasted by them. I don't know if it is simply vain fancy on my part or if it is indeed the hand of God pushing me in a certain direction, and whether He always was. I know myself to be unworthy, and though my priest assures me worthiness has little to do with it, I can't shake the feeling.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27109 on: July 24, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »

Yeah, what is it with them and their unwillingness to work themselves into the grave?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27110 on: July 24, 2017, 10:15:25 AM »
There's one particularly shady guy that died a few years ago, made a fortune during the '60s, was even used by the government at one point, and who had the moral compass of Goebbels or B.F. Skinner. Oh to be young like you and have factoids at the tip of my tongue.

I know someone training as an applied behavior analyst and, of course, Skinner is the guru of the discipline. She and I agree that the man's general outlook and philosophy are monstrous. She finds behavioralism depressing in general; however, she looks at it as a career path to get out of her present special ed position that she's been trying to escape for years.

The usual defense of Skinner, as with a lot of poisonous ideas, is "But it works!" I think there is a general feeling in our society that, if a given discipline or technology is useful, it is necessary to accept everything behind it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:17:03 AM by Iconodule »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27111 on: July 24, 2017, 10:21:04 AM »

Yeah, what is it with them and their unwillingness to work themselves into the grave?
I wish Americans could have the same attitude. :(

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27112 on: July 24, 2017, 11:25:35 AM »

In NJ you can get paternity leave...so make mad babies :P
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27113 on: July 24, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
In NJ you can get paternity leave...so make mad babies :P
Lord only knows I'll probably have atleast 7 children sometime soon...God has a wicked sense of humor...

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27114 on: July 24, 2017, 11:35:12 AM »
There's one particularly shady guy that died a few years ago, made a fortune during the '60s, was even used by the government at one point, and who had the moral compass of Goebbels or B.F. Skinner. Oh to be young like you and have factoids at the tip of my tongue.

I know someone training as an applied behavior analyst and, of course, Skinner is the guru of the discipline. She and I agree that the man's general outlook and philosophy are monstrous. She finds behavioralism depressing in general; however, she looks at it as a career path to get out of her present special ed position that she's been trying to escape for years.

The usual defense of Skinner, as with a lot of poisonous ideas, is "But it works!" I think there is a general feeling in our society that, if a given discipline or technology is useful, it is necessary to accept everything behind it.

What works? He came up with nothing practical. He just tortured pigeons, kept his infant daughter in a steel box, and wrote pseudo-philosophical books to mock religion. Other men and women are responsible for so-called cognitive-behavioral therapy, which began in the '70s. Of course classes pay tribute to him, because America worships all its most evil men. And many of other countries. Something people should know it's that America led the world in evil scientists up until the Nazis stole the title.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:36:33 AM by Porter ODoran »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27115 on: July 24, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

What works? He came up with nothing practical. He just tortured pigeons, kept his infant daughter in a steel box, and wrote pseudo-philosophical books to mock religion. Other men and women are responsible for so-called cognitive-behavioral therapy, which began in the '70s. Of course classes pay tribute to him, because America worships all its most evil men. And many of other countries. Something people should know it's that America led the world in evil scientists up until the Nazis stole the title.

I like you.  :)
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27116 on: July 24, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
Something people should know it's that America led the world in evil scientists up until the Nazis stole the title.

Odd then, that the behavioralists were at the forefront of blocking scientific progress (especially medical/psychological) for decades.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #27117 on: July 24, 2017, 12:41:07 PM »

And then we stole the Nazi scientists!
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #27118 on: July 24, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »

Give your unions more power and vote Communists to your parliament and you probably have similar laws in no time. That's how we got ours.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27119 on: July 24, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »

Give your unions more power and vote Communists to your parliament and you probably have similar laws in no time. That's how we got ours.

We were a huge part of international labor movement. Got stamped out by Woodrow Wilson who used WWI as an excuse to exercise extraordinary powers.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27120 on: July 24, 2017, 01:20:28 PM »

We were a huge part of international labor movement. Got stamped out by Woodrow Wilson who used WWI as an excuse to exercise extraordinary powers.

Makes one pine for the mine wars.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #27121 on: July 24, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
Every labor movement in the world faced stiff repression at some point or other... I think it's harder to explain why the American one collapsed so precipitously.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27122 on: July 24, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
Every labor movement in the world faced stiff repression at some point or other... I think it's harder to explain why the American one collapsed so precipitously.

They put down their guns.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27123 on: July 24, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »

Get the guys who have guns vote against their own interests  ;)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27124 on: July 24, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »

How un-American of them.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27125 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »

Harlan County forgot which side are they on to the tune of 84 percent last election.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27126 on: July 24, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »
Microsoft signals end of Paint program*

Paint has been part of the Windows operating system since its release in 1985 and is known for its simplicity and basic artistic results. Paint's successor, Paint 3D, will still be available. The list was issued as part of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which rolls out in the autumn.

Microsoft says that features on the list will be either removed from Windows 10 or "not in active development and might be removed in future releases". Other features facing the axe include the Outlook Express email client, which is replaced with the built-in Mail app, and the Reader app, which will be integrated into Microsoft Edge...

* This BBC article includes a subheader "RIP Paint" and I just want to make clear that I do not mean to offend anyone by linking to an article which uses this terminology, nor do I endorse the many "RIP" tweets the article mentions

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27127 on: July 24, 2017, 09:22:04 PM »

Harlan County forgot which side are they on to the tune of 84 percent last election.

Underrated comment.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27128 on: July 25, 2017, 01:07:16 AM »
vouching for the Jewishness of people wanting to be married in Israel

I had no idea this was a thing. I guess it's not so different than what other groups do though.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #27129 on: July 25, 2017, 03:26:17 PM »
I witnessed a miracle today! Glory to God!

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27130 on: July 25, 2017, 05:15:16 PM »
You got a discount on something that wasn't discounted?

Glory to God  8)  :angel:

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #27131 on: July 26, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »
I witnessed a miracle today! Glory to God!

I've been seeing some miracles myself lately.  Glory to God!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27132 on: July 26, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
Other than Hiywot and that Kaleab kid, I wonder if we've ever had any actual Ethiopian posters on these boards.  I know AmdeTsion was African-American and (Stay blessed!) HabteSelassie was a white dude.  So is Gebre, of course.  Have we had any people who were actually of Ethiopian descent other than the two I mentioned above?

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27133 on: July 26, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
Other than Hiywot and that Kaleab kid, I wonder if we've ever had any actual Ethiopian posters on these boards.  I know AmdeTsion was African-American and (Stay blessed!) HabteSelassie was a white dude.  So is Gebre, of course.  Have we had any people who were actually of Ethiopian descent other than the two I mentioned above?

I feel like I have a fuzzy memory of an Eritrean here at one point.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27134 on: July 26, 2017, 06:17:56 PM »

I feel like I have a fuzzy memory of an Eritrean here at one point.

Yeah, he came around for about two days to troll the boards with doctored pictures of Haile Selassie watering marijuana plants to counter Gebre's (or someone's) call for His Majesty's glorification.  He was handed his backside fairly quickly and beat a hasty retreat.  I think Balthasar is a black British convert or something.