Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5888744 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #27000 on: July 18, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
If I wanted to read some normal and balanced news from the US where should I go to? It seems that everything I've recently read* about the US from local newspapers around here makes America sound like some crazy parallel reality. I'd like to have less biased view.

*Everything related to Trump, Dayton drug epidemics, some Australian calling 911 and ending up shot by the police...

Nah, I'm pretty sure right now America is a crazy parallel reality. CNN is left-leaning but they try to be balanced, usually to a fault; Washington Post is also left-leaning but does more actual journalism (as opposed to just commentating) than almost anyone these days; I'd suggest a right-leaning news source, except I've never seen a secular one that even tries to be straight and fair (there probably are some, I'm just not familar with them). Usually if a news story is important enough to actually look into I go to the Google news aggregator and look at articles from both the left (NYT, Washington Post) and right (Washington Times, Fox News*). Sometimes I read just as many or more articles from non-U.S. sources (usually England and Canada). I think you can cut down on the crazy by 37% (and sensationalism by 79%) if you avoid places like Huffington Post, Drudge Report, Heatstreet, and Breitbart.

*That's Fox News and it's website, not the local news progams who are on Fox stations
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:02:57 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #27001 on: July 18, 2017, 09:15:25 AM »
The US mainstream media is essentially right-wing across the board, and that includes NYT, WaPo, and other publications that align themselves with #TheResistance but peddle the same old interventionism and neoliberalism. They still occasionally have very good articles but the hysteria and ideological blinders are generally insurmountable.

Actual left-wing sources like Jacobin and CounterPunch are more into analysis than news.

I would recommend smaller places like The Intercept or foreign sources like TeleSur. Everyone has bias but some people actually still do actual journalism.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:19:14 AM by Iconodule »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #27002 on: July 18, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
If I am looking for more objective reporting, I go either to NPR or the BBC. They are about as good as you'll get because the rest is garbage.

But yes, the USA is currently lost its mind. Check back in in about 20 years and we should have it sorted out.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:28:12 AM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #27003 on: July 18, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »
NPR has that Nyquil-voice going for it that gives the reassuring feeling of calm, reflective reporting, but bring Russia, Syria, or Venezuela into the mix and they are lock-step in line with the rest of the establishment.

But yes, for domestic reporting they are relatively painless.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:29:01 AM by Iconodule »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #27004 on: July 18, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
New York Times is left leaning good journalism
Wall Street Journal is right leaning good journalism
Read both.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27005 on: July 18, 2017, 09:32:06 AM »
NPR has that Nyquil-voice going for it that gives the reassuring feeling of calm, reflective reporting, but bring Russia, Syria, or Venezuela into the mix and they are lock-step in line with the rest of the establishment.

But yes, for domestic reporting they are relatively painless.
Yes sorry. I was referring to domestic news. For Russia/Syria etc, I don't think there is anything close to objective. I just read the propaganda on both sides and figure the truth is somewhere in the middle.
God bless!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #27006 on: July 18, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »
Normal and balanced news? Everyone has their biases, but maybe Associated Press News is probably as close as you can get to something "objective". Really emphasize the quotes though. American politics at the moment is pretty insane for obvious reasons so whatever local reporting you are getting is probably accurate.

If you're looking for journalism, well that's very difficult.

We all live in our own bubble, sort of speak, so I more often read from left-wing journalists.

The best thing I ever did recently is curb all news consumption. There's way too much depressing stuff out there that leads me into despondency and despair. So it was spiritually harmful. I need to have a much stronger foundation in God before seeing what next horrible thing this insane world does.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:57:20 AM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27007 on: July 18, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
If I wanted to read some normal and balanced news from the US where should I go to? It seems that everything I've recently read* about the US from local newspapers around here makes America sound like some crazy parallel reality. I'd like to have less biased view.

*Everything related to Trump, Dayton drug epidemics, some Australian calling 911 and ending up shot by the police...

Christian Science Monitor. Reuters. Unfortunately, American news media is at a real low.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #27008 on: July 18, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »
Unfortunately, American news media is at a real low.

America is at a real low.  We've actually become the crass, boorish, ignorant stereotype Europeans have always considered us to be.  There was a time when we could say that the stereotype was unfair, but not anymore.  They used to be judging us by a minority of our worst, but that's no longer the case.  A great many of us now - especially the youngest among us - are what bad parenting, reality tv, the 24 hour "news" cycle, and social media have made us: spoiled, stupid, arrogant in our ignorance, and quick to fight.  Look at the level of public discourse in this country.  It doesn't compare favorably with even the lowest moment of the Vidal/Buckley debates.  We're pretty much a joke.  Raised on Jerry Springer and Maury we have become the Real Housewives and Apprentice nation.  This cuts right across political lines too, and includes those who are too stupid to be political on anything but the most basic level as well.  It's shameful.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:59:06 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27009 on: July 18, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »

America is at a real low.  We've actually become the crass, boorish, ignorant stereotype Europeans have always considered us to be.  There was a time when we could say that the stereotype was unfair, but not anymore.  They used to be judging us by a minority of our worst, but that's no longer the case.  A great many of us now - especially the youngest among us - are what bad parenting, reality tv, the 24 hour "news" cycle, and social media have made us: spoiled, stupid, arrogant in our ignorance, and quick to fight.  Look at the level of public discourse in this country.  It doesn't compare favorably with even the lowest moment of the Vidal/Buckley debates.  We're pretty much a joke.  Raised on Jerry Springer and Maury we have become the Real Housewives and Apprentice nation.  This cuts right across political lines too.  It's shameful.
Too true.  :'(
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27010 on: July 18, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »

America is at a real low.  We've actually become the crass, boorish, ignorant stereotype Europeans have always considered us to be.  There was a time when we could say that the stereotype was unfair, but not anymore.  They used to be judging us by a minority of our worst, but that's no longer the case.  A great many of us now - especially the youngest among us - are what bad parenting, reality tv, the 24 hour "news" cycle, and social media have made us: spoiled, stupid, arrogant in our ignorance, and quick to fight.  Look at the level of public discourse in this country.  It doesn't compare favorably with even the lowest moment of the Vidal/Buckley debates.  We're pretty much a joke.  Raised on Jerry Springer and Maury we have become the Real Housewives and Apprentice nation.  This cuts right across political lines too, and includes those who are too stupid to be political on anything but the most basic level as well.  It's shameful.

Eh. No doubt you're right but it's also a matter of where one's focus is. America has a class system, a fairly rigid one, and the lower class has suffered confusion and corruption such as underly your observations in various forms for centuries. Almost as soon as a large immigrant population would arrive, it would be exploited and legislated against and so on and so on until it joined the trash. The middle class, on the other hand, used to pride themselves on having found ways to stay above it all and be fairly self-directed, to seek professional careers and better education, to live in a way that's outwardly respectable -- and now they've been beaten into the mud too so that what parts of that life haven't been forgotten are rapidly just becoming impossible. America doesn't really have an upper class, but it does have a shifting, very small population of powerful people, and these seem to have reached full psychopathy. So which downfall one pays attention to can affect what one regrets in America and how one perceives America.

All I know is all of us all together are headed for a righteous smackdown.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27011 on: July 18, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »

Eh. No doubt you're right but it's also a matter of where one's focus is. America has a class system, a fairly rigid one, and the lower class has suffered confusion and corruption such as underly your observations in various forms for centuries. Almost as soon as a large immigrant population would arrive, it would be exploited and legislated against and so on and so on until it joined the trash. The middle class, on the other hand, used to pride themselves on having found ways to stay above it all and be fairly self-directed, to seek professional careers and better education, to live in a way that's outwardly respectable -- and now they've been beaten into the mud too so that what parts of that life haven't been forgotten are rapidly just becoming impossible. America doesn't really have an upper class, but it does have a shifting, very small population of powerful people, and these seem to have reached full psychopathy. So which downfall one pays attention to can affect what one regrets in America and how one perceives America.

Every society has social stratification, marginalization, and injustice in one form or another.  Not every society relishes representing itself to the world as debased, thick and pompous.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:21:05 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27012 on: July 18, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »

Every society has social stratification, marginalization, and injustice in one form or another.  Not every society relishes representing itself to the world as debased, thick and pompous.

Our pop culture is as imposed on us as on the rest of the world. We're observers and victims.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27013 on: July 18, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
America is largely invisible--they're at the park, in the kitchen, in the office, on a work site, at a cafe, in school, etc.  The vast majority are not on TV.  The only control anyone really has over media content on TV is the power button.  But we seem to have cultivated a dependency on the news and entertainment both.  Where we do have culpability in regard to content, however, is social media.  I'm not sure that picture is any prettier, though.
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27014 on: July 18, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »

Our pop culture is as imposed on us as on the rest of the world. We're observers and victims.

It seems that in some ways our pop culture has become our national - or at least political - culture.  Whatever side of the aisle you might be on, if you've got any sense at all, you know that our last election cycle - with the debates about the size of the candidates penises, Twitter beefs, et al - was a reality show style joke.  There was always trash talk, etc., and I'm sure someone somewhere can trot out some daguerreotype of Franklin Pierce giving Winfield Scott the finger or find some yellowing article in which Martin van Buren invites Daniel Webster to fellate him or something, but if anyone tries to deny that this last cycle was something new, surreal and beyond the pale, and that as a nation we have descended to a new low, he or she is either one of the kids raised on Springer and Love & Hip Hop who thinks this sort of thing is normal or a clinical imbecile.

I'm not sure that picture is any prettier, though.

If anything, it's more hideous.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27015 on: July 18, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »

It seems that in some ways our pop culture has become our national - or at least political - culture.  Whatever side of the aisle you might be on, if you've got any sense at all, you know that our last election cycle - with the debates about the size of the candidates penises, Twitter beefs, et al - was a reality show style joke.  There was always trash talk, etc., and I'm sure someone somewhere can trot out some daguerreotype of Franklin Pierce giving Winfield Scott the finger or find some yellowing article in which Martin van Buren invites Daniel Webster to fellate him or something, but if anyone tries to deny that this last cycle was something new, surreal and beyond the pale, and that as a nation we have descended to a new low, he or she is either one of the kids raised on Springer and Love & Hip Hop who thinks this sort of thing is normal or a clinical imbecile.

Oh sure. We have to own it now. The culture wars are past. This is America now. Yet only a couple of generations ago, folks lived according to ways handed down. I guess my point is that what you observe going on in the larger world now -- the imposition of all these American horrors on the minds of young folks -- well, this happened to us, here, first. It's a little like the way the European peasantry and guilds were horribly conquered first before the nation-state apparatus then turned its attention to colonialism. The local conquests get much less attention, and the dominating apparatus is quickly identified with the originating population fairly or not, yet in my mind they're tragic in their own way.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27016 on: July 18, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
OCnet is my only source of balanced media.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27017 on: July 18, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »
OCnet is my only source of balanced media.

:laugh: :laugh:

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27018 on: July 18, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »

Oh sure. We have to own it now. The culture wars are past. This is America now. Yet only a couple of generations ago, folks lived according to ways handed down. I guess my point is that what you observe going on in the larger world now -- the imposition of all these American horrors on the minds of young folks -- well, this happened to us, here, first. It's a little like the way the European peasantry and guilds were horribly conquered first before the nation-state apparatus then turned its attention to colonialism. The local conquests get much less attention, and the dominating apparatus is quickly identified with the originating population fairly or not, yet in my mind they're tragic in their own way.

Are you sure you would identify the dumbing down of our society as a mechanism of domination per se?  As opposed to a simple marketing scheme appealing to the lowest common denominator gone awry?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27019 on: July 18, 2017, 06:35:57 PM »
What do you think "simple marketing schemes" at the national level are? This is an active, belligerent field of socio-psychology -- the big, founding names of the discipline were a secret in the '60s but you can read about them now. It's the same thing as psy-ops in war. And in this case backed by usurers whose powers you can only imagine. Yes, the shape of America today is the result of calculated domination by sheer psychological, economic, and educational force. All very coordinated. And now active throughout the world.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27020 on: July 18, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
What do you think "simple marketing schemes" at the national level are? This is an active, belligerent field of socio-psychology -- the big, founding names of the discipline were a secret in the '60s but you can read about them now. It's the same thing as psy-ops in war. And in this case backed by usurers whose powers you can only imagine. Yes, the shape of America today is the result of calculated domination by sheer psychological, economic, and educational force. All very coordinated. And now active throughout the world.

And where would one read about all of this?  Who has a vested interest in America self-destructing due to cultivated ignorance and stupidity?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27021 on: July 18, 2017, 06:53:23 PM »

And where would one read about all of this?  Who has a vested interest in America self-destructing due to cultivated ignorance and stupidity?
Pretty much the rest of the world who is tired of us sticking our nose where is doesn't belong.
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27022 on: July 18, 2017, 06:54:51 PM »

America does. When the foundational ethos of a society is predatory, and taking a big-picture view is taboo, than this is what happens. We are eating ourselves.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27023 on: July 18, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »
However, at the same time we are delaying our demise by also eating the rest of the world. And looking for other planets to eat, if you believe our prophets. So that's good, I guess.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27024 on: July 18, 2017, 07:04:20 PM »

Pretty much the rest of the world who is tired of us sticking our nose where is doesn't belong.

Yeah, but Porter was talking about some cabal of usurers that presumably was at least partially domestic in nature.

America does. When the foundational ethos of a society is predatory, and taking a big-picture view is taboo, than this is what happens. We are eating ourselves.

However, at the same time we are delaying our demise by also eating the rest of the world. And looking for other planets to eat, if you believe our prophets. So that's good, I guess.

Fair enough.  But who are the specific once-secret architects you were referencing whose names are now public and where can I read about them?  (Please, no screwball Alex Jones stuff.  Thanks in advance.)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27025 on: July 18, 2017, 07:07:55 PM »

Yeah, but Porter was talking about some cabal of usurers that presumably was at least partially domestic in nature.

Nope. I was talking about major usurers, period. Undoubtedly there are various points of contact and means of organization thereamong but that's beside the point.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27026 on: July 18, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »

Nope. I was talking about major usurers, period. Undoubtedly there are various points of contact and means of organization thereamong but that's beside the point.

Who specifically are these guys and where can I read about them and the active, belligerent mind games they instituted to screw the American people now?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27027 on: July 18, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »
It's funny that as soon as ALPHA60 has returned to regular, active, and loquacious posting DIEGO has apparently disappeared from the face of the forum.  Coincidence?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27028 on: July 18, 2017, 08:58:22 PM »
It's funny that as soon as ALPHA60 has returned to regular, active, and loquacious posting DIEGO has apparently disappeared from the face of the forum.  Coincidence?

Probably Compline. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #27029 on: July 19, 2017, 12:23:17 AM »

Probably Compline.

They seek rest, the long day leaving them winded. The mother they never knew watches over them, supplicating and protecting. The night grows still, the billions of whispers finally exhausted, but a final plaintive cry rises out: "Save us!"
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #27030 on: July 19, 2017, 02:11:58 AM »
English cuisine, in a nutshell.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27031 on: July 19, 2017, 02:42:20 AM »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27032 on: July 19, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »

Who specifically are these guys and where can I read about them and the active, belligerent mind games they instituted to screw the American people now?

No answer?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #27033 on: July 19, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »

No answer?

Reminds me of this rather gross piece of evasiveness: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32f1ge

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #27034 on: July 19, 2017, 11:21:54 AM »

No answer?

Reminds me of this rather gross piece of evasiveness: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32f1ge

"We have to admit that in the last three centuries, everybody speaks about the Russian mystic, and indeed we cannot but bow in front of the great Russian livers..."

Indeed!
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27035 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:27 AM »
Walter D. Scott is the only name that springs to mind, probably because it's memorable. You could read Vance Packard for more leads. I'm not good at remembering names and dates, but I could probably whip up something about the history of advertising psychology if you held a knife to my throat in a library. There's one particularly shady guy that died a few years ago, made a fortune during the '60s, was even used by the government at one point, and who had the moral compass of Goebbels or B.F. Skinner. Oh to be young like you and have factoids at the tip of my tongue.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:53:57 AM by Porter ODoran »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27036 on: July 19, 2017, 12:25:09 PM »
Walter D. Scott is the only name that springs to mind, probably because it's memorable. You could read Vance Packard for more leads. I'm not good at remembering names and dates, but I could probably whip up something about the history of advertising psychology if you held a knife to my throat in a library. There's one particularly shady guy that died a few years ago, made a fortune during the '60s, was even used by the government at one point, and who had the moral compass of Goebbels or B.F. Skinner.

Okay.  I'll start with Scott and Packard and go from there.  I'm not grilling you, man.  I'm seriously interested in learning what you are talking about and how you feel it ties into a conspiracy to turn America into what I've been describing in my recent posts here.

if you held a knife to my throat in a library

That 's a very specific set of circumstances.  So, a water gun in a computer lab wouldn't do it, huh?

Oh to be young like you and have factoids at the tip of my tongue.

We've talked about this.  We're the same age.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27037 on: July 19, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
Around the dinner table, the conversation is lively.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27038 on: July 19, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
Walter D. Scott is the only name that springs to mind, probably because it's memorable. You could read Vance Packard for more leads. I'm not good at remembering names and dates, but I could probably whip up something about the history of advertising psychology if you held a knife to my throat in a library. There's one particularly shady guy that died a few years ago, made a fortune during the '60s, was even used by the government at one point, and who had the moral compass of Goebbels or B.F. Skinner.

Okay.  I'll start with Scott and Packard and go from there.  I'm not grilling you, man.  I'm seriously interested in learning what you are talking about and how you feel it ties into a conspiracy to turn America into what I've been describing in my recent posts here.

It's not a conspiracy. It's a system. And you don't need to know much more than your own neighborhood's past few generations to know that the revolting caricature that America is now is nothing like what she used to be. Did you know that the Bowery used to be full of fig trees and chickens? That the vast bulk of Americans lived self-sustaining lives on the land? That everybody went to church? But I'm not good at lists; requires a better memory.

Oh to be young like you and have factoids at the tip of my tongue.

We've talked about this.  We're the same age.

Are you sure? Because I'll be forty-five this year. It just seems old compared to what I think of as the OC.net crowd.

Well, I'd like to blame my multiple sclerosis for my memory problems, but I think that would just be an excuse. The fact is I've always been someone who reads a lot and draws connections, but doesn't keep details in mind. As a teenager I could have rattled off a bunch of facts, yeah, but who couldn't. Get to be 25 and you have to work for your thoughts, and your waistline.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27039 on: July 19, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »

I like this picture of Random Postings. :)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27040 on: July 19, 2017, 01:13:14 PM »
It's not a conspiracy. It's a system.

Okay.  Like I said, I'll look into it.

And you don't need to know much more than your own neighborhood's past few generations to know that the revolting caricature that America is now is nothing like what she used to be. Did you know that the Bowery used to be full of fig trees and chickens? That the vast bulk of Americans lived self-sustaining lives on the land? That everybody went to church?

Sure, of course.

Are you sure? Because I'll be forty-five this year. It just seems old compared to what I think of as the OC.net crowd.

We're definitely in the same ballpark, Port.

Get to be 25 and you have to work for your thoughts, and your waistline.

True! :)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #27041 on: July 19, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »

I like this picture of Random Postings. :)

I've been to one of their meetings.  It was above a convenience store!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #27042 on: July 19, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
At one time the avg. age of regular posters here was probably in the early 20s... but it's probably in the early 30s nowadays.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27043 on: July 19, 2017, 02:46:49 PM »
At one time the avg. age of regular posters here was probably in the early 20s... but it's probably in the early 30s nowadays.

Thanks! That's about what I thought, altho one or two are obviously quite young and one or two are obviously esteemed elders.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27044 on: July 19, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
The only age I remember is that I'm the same age as Asteriktos.
God bless!