Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5548942 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #26820 on: June 01, 2017, 10:44:41 AM »
So it becomes the Butterfly effect. . .?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:45:09 AM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #26821 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #26822 on: June 01, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »
*obligatory covfefe meme*
God bless!

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #26823 on: June 01, 2017, 11:55:23 AM »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #26824 on: June 01, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
LOL AT MOR'S NEW AV
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #26825 on: June 01, 2017, 12:22:54 PM »
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #26826 on: June 01, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
In America anyway it's usually called a mantilla. And altho her parents were reportedly Communists, the First Lady is a Slovene, which makes her ancestrally Roman Catholic.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26827 on: June 01, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »
In America anyway it's usually called a mantilla. And altho her parents were reportedly Communists, the First Lady is a Slovene, which makes her ancestrally Roman Catholic.

and clearly your ancestry was devoid of forms of humor, or humour if you prefer it that way....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26828 on: June 01, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »

and clearly your ancestry was devoid of forms of humor, or humour if you prefer it that way....

That's fair. Germans have no sense of humor, and if my father's any indication, the Irish sense of humor is about on the level of a drunk special-needs child.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #26829 on: June 01, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »
*obligatory covfefe meme*

I like to think that the "v" is silent and it's pronounced co-fef-fay. Sidekick of Pepe the frog perhaps? Of course only Mr. Trump and a small group of people know for sure!
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #26830 on: June 01, 2017, 06:13:02 PM »
The "vf" pronunciation is certainly a tricky one. I've been practicing all day in case I'm called to replace Sean Spicer.
God bless!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26831 on: June 01, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »
Germans have no sense of humor

You haven't spent much time around actual Germans (as opposed to Americans with some German ancestry and a head full of stereotypes) have you?  In my experience, actual Germans -from Germany - are hilarious (though they favor bathroom humor a bit much for my tastes).
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26832 on: June 01, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
The "vf" pronunciation is certainly a tricky one. I've been practicing all day in case I'm called to replace Sean Spicer.

cov-fefe

not cov like cove....but cov like corn on the cov.....

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26833 on: June 01, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »

You haven't spent much time around actual Germans (as opposed to Americans with some German ancestry and a head full of stereotypes) have you?  In my experience, actual Germans -from Germany - are hilarious (though they favor bathroom humor a bit much for my tastes).

I agree. I have a German heritage and grew up in Low German -speaking communities. Yes, the more-obvious humor is scatalogical (among the Amish this is never translated into English, tho) -- but there's just a chance you may be missing the less-obvious humor, as it tends to be subtle.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26834 on: June 01, 2017, 07:30:13 PM »

I agree. I have a German heritage and grew up in Low German -speaking communities. Yes, the more-obvious humor is scatalogical (among the Amish this is never translated into English, tho) -- but there's just a chance you may be missing the less-obvious humor, as it tends to be subtle.

The Germans I'm familiar with are from the Rheinland-Pfalz, so they're also speaking a dialect Northerners would term "Low German".  In fact, it's very close to the German spoken by the Amish because I think many of you guys immigrated from that part of Germany.  Once, when I was young, I was at a pool in PA with some of my Pfalzisch friends, and some Amish or Mennonite people (not sure which) were talking, and my Pfalzich friends said "They talk like us!"  Even down to their peculiar name for a pig (definitely not Schwein, but if you speak the dialect, you know the term I mean!).  But yeah, I think I get most of the more subtle humor, but they still make a lot of poop jokes!  ;D
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26835 on: June 01, 2017, 07:47:32 PM »

The Germans I'm familiar with are from the Rheinland-Pfalz, so they're also speaking a dialect Northerners would term "Low German".  In fact, it's very close to the German spoken by the Amish because I think many of you guys immigrated from that part of Germany.  Once, when I was young, I was at a pool in PA with some of my Pfalzisch friends, and some Amish or Mennonite people (not sure which) were talking, and my Pfalzich friends said "They talk like us!"  Even down to their peculiar name for a pig (definitely not Schwein, but if you speak the dialect, you know the term I mean!).  But yeah, I think I get most of the more subtle humor, but they still make a lot of poop jokes!  ;D

All I can say is you certainly don't get my humor. But you're not missing out on much.

Amish are from all over Germany and Switzerland -- they migrated in waves throughout the 1800s, altho some came in earlier centuries too -- but the bulk passed thru the Palatinate where they spent a few generations improving the farmland there after war had ravaged it (they were banned to there by the authorities, is the story). Some also passed thru other countries on their way here. If you know some of the Old Believers' stories, you get the general idea. But, yes, it's thought that their dialect "gelled" in the Palatinate and has remained rooted in that idiom ever since. Not to say it hasn't changed internally in its own way and at this point it even shares grammar rules with English (and plenty of vocabulary) ...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:49:38 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #26836 on: June 01, 2017, 11:43:15 PM »
What happens when you win the lottery?  It's more than just increased taxes:

https://youtu.be/E-G1uXNeFLs
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #26837 on: June 02, 2017, 12:15:21 AM »

I've heard stories of people saying that winning the lottery was one of the worst things that happened to them, but hearing details (esp. murder) was pretty depressing.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #26838 on: June 02, 2017, 12:16:30 AM »
Make one think!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26839 on: June 02, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »
All I can say is you certainly don't get my humor.

Not getting and not finding funny are two different things.

But you're not missing out on much.

Agreed.

Amish are from all over Germany and Switzerland -- they migrated in waves throughout the 1800s, altho some came in earlier centuries too -- but the bulk passed thru the Palatinate where they spent a few generations improving the farmland there after war had ravaged it (they were banned to there by the authorities, is the story). Some also passed thru other countries on their way here. If you know some of the Old Believers' stories, you get the general idea. But, yes, it's thought that their dialect "gelled" in the Palatinate and has remained rooted in that idiom ever since. Not to say it hasn't changed internally in its own way and at this point it even shares grammar rules with English (and plenty of vocabulary) ...

Interesting.  Thanks.  Pfalzich German with English grammar rules sounds fascinating.  Maybe one day I'll delve more deeply into this.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #26840 on: June 02, 2017, 11:05:49 PM »

I actually was scared, the one time the powerball was at 900 Million. What if you were the only winner? How would you keep it a secret? All of this has informed my current Powerball playings.
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #26841 on: June 04, 2017, 01:33:11 AM »
Besides, there's a silver lining.  Your shameless hypocrisy prompted Rohzek to craft the greatest avatar these boards have ever seen.

I learned that God likes boobs and does not want to see them restrained.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #26842 on: June 04, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26843 on: June 04, 2017, 04:25:48 PM »
Besides, there's a silver lining.  Your shameless hypocrisy prompted Rohzek to craft the greatest avatar these boards have ever seen.

I learned that God likes boobs and does not want to see them restrained.

Especially when they're posting about the unmanliness of shaving on oc.net!

Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #26844 on: June 04, 2017, 08:41:21 PM »
Your avatar made me lol, nothing  :laugh:

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #26845 on: June 07, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #26846 on: June 07, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »
... the Irish sense of humor...

It's a lot like Irish Catholicism.

Stand silently staring straight ahead, grimly clutching a rosary and forgetting 100 years have passed since the failure of the Socialist revolution.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:02:25 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26847 on: June 07, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »
They didn't remove the body from the last suicide in my campus yet (it's a tall public building) and we're still having class. This time it was a student with her backpack on. Lord, have mercy! This city is inhuman.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:53:41 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26848 on: June 07, 2017, 04:57:47 PM »
Lord, have mercy on your people and raise up shepherds for your flock.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26849 on: June 07, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
They didn't remove the body from the last suicide in my campus yet (it's a tall public building) and we're still having class. This time it was a student with her backpack on. Lord, have mercy! This city is inhuman.

Wow.  Lord have mercy on this poor girl.  Are you saying people jump from this tall building with some regularity?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #26850 on: June 07, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »
Dude, you seem like a genuine person, is there any path to you getting out of there?
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26851 on: June 07, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
Wow.  Lord have mercy on this poor girl.  Are you saying people jump from this tall building with some regularity?
Yeah, it was more usual before (to the point that "I study in UERJ" would alwaysbe answered as "just don't kill yourself", jokingly or not), now they put safety nets and locked windows everywhere, but there are still blind spots.

Dude, you seem like a genuine person, is there any path to you getting out of there?
I have Portuguese citizenship and know foreign languages, so I want to leave, but I don't have short- or middle-term plans, and I don't exactly what I'd work with, since it's hard to get a job abroad with a national law certificate.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26852 on: June 07, 2017, 08:39:13 PM »

"Just say no" to the Benedict Option!
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #26853 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
Yeah, it was more usual before (to the point that "I study in UERJ" would alwaysbe answered as "just don't kill yourself", jokingly or not), now they put safety nets and locked windows everywhere, but there are still blind spots.

= Rio de Janeiro State University

Why is this college so high in suicides that they have a joke about it?

Suicidal Tendencies na UERJ | UERJ - Universidade Do Estado Do Rio De Janeiro
Finalmente um show no lugar com o maior número de fãs no Brasil!
https://da.eventbu.com/rio-de-janeiro/suicidal-tendencies-na-uerj/2467197

the site of the main campus is still a public health concern, as it is a preferred site for suicides. Due to ease of public access, lack of vigilance and tall buildings with wide windows and interconnected by free ramps, many suicides choose the facilities to jump off. Nevertheless, the dean offices treat the subject as taboo and do not publish statistics of such cases, allegedly to avoid further attempts.
* 2nd Brazilian Congress of Suicide Studies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_de_Janeiro_State_University

Launched in late March, the book Why Do Police Kill Themselves?, by the Rio de Janeiro State University’s (UERJ) Suicide and Prevention Study and Research Group (Gepesp) in partnership with the Rio Military Police, notes that in 2009 Rio de Janeiro Military Police officers were 6.6 times more likely to commit suicide than the state population on average.
Conducted through a partnership between five psychologists from the Military Police and UERJ researchers from different areas, the study states that 10% of 224 Military Police officers interviewed for the study attempted suicide, and 22% thought about doing so.
http://www.rioonwatch.org/?p=29086

Grupo de Estudo e Pesquisa em Suicídio e Prevenção - Gepesp
R. São Francisco Xavier, 524 - Maracanã
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, RJ 20550-900
College & University in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
https://www.facebook.com/gepesplav/?fref=ts

2º Congresso de Suicidologia

de 28/6 a 30/6 · Belo Horizonte, MG

http://www.overmundo.com.br/agenda/2-congresso-de-suicidologia
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26854 on: June 07, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
What would we do without Rakovsky? Not only is he able to tease from Google information about Brazil, a country which none of us OC.netters have any access to or experience with, but he's able in the same nimble sweep of internet research to inform us of the darker private lives of military policemen.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26855 on: June 07, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
Reads like a sob story.
Learn meditation.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26856 on: June 07, 2017, 09:10:28 PM »
not none

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26857 on: June 07, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »

= Rio de Janeiro State University

Why is this college so high in suicides that they have a joke about it?
Probably because it's a tall public building, but they're occasionally students themselves committing suicide. Also, I personally think it's cursed (non-ironically), this place has a very weird story before it became the University.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #26858 on: June 07, 2017, 09:41:58 PM »
this place has a very weird story before it became the University.
Feel free to share.
The ocean, impassable by men, and the world beyond it are directed by the same ordinances of the Master. ~ I Clement 20

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26859 on: June 07, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »
Feel free to share.
Rumouredly ancient tribal site, then mental asylum, then vertical slum with a lot of fires and gang feuds (Favela do Esqueleto), then the inhabitants were forcefully removed by a death squad (Scuderie Le Cocq), then they built the university.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26860 on: June 08, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »
not none

You actually spent a considerable deal of time there as a missionary, right?

Feel free to share.
Rumouredly ancient tribal site, then mental asylum, then vertical slum with a lot of fires and gang feuds (Favela do Esqueleto), then the inhabitants were forcefully removed by a death squad (Scuderie Le Cocq), then they built the university.

Wow.  God have mercy.  You'll be in my prayers, as will the students of the university and the nation in general.  :)
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26861 on: June 08, 2017, 09:16:57 AM »
My mother works at the university, I just came to her office and at some point one of her co-workers asked the other jokingly: "dude, where's my salary?", to which he answered: "I don't know, did you find mine?", and everybody laughed. At least we never lose our sense of humour...  ;D

My family is fine though, thank God we were prepared for this kind of thing and my father works in a private job.  :angel:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:18:05 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26862 on: June 10, 2017, 12:49:30 AM »
Now there's a gay reaction on Facebook. The original intention was to raise "awareness", but in my surroundings it seems it backfired as people are gay-reacting each other's serious status and profile pics, thereby associating LGBTQ to practical jokes.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26863 on: June 10, 2017, 12:53:30 AM »
Now there's a gay reaction on Facebook. The original intention was to raise "awareness", but in my surroundings it seems it backfired as people are gay-reacting each other's serious status and profile pics, thereby associating LGBTQ to practical jokes.

How could anyone ever have predicted that would happen?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26864 on: June 10, 2017, 12:59:01 AM »

How could anyone ever have predicted that would happen?
[voice=12yro]hah! predictions are so gay![/voice]