Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5572877 times)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #26730 on: May 30, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »
You do realize it was a joke, right?

Of course.  But the subculture which spawned it deserves ridicule.

Seems more like "someone's wrong on internet" than ridicule. But I do approve of the irony. ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:19:47 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #26731 on: May 30, 2017, 12:18:49 PM »
By the time that brilliant, satirical, but pious mind is done with you, I assume you'll be feeling grateful for every scrap of masculinity you maintain.

So then he's sort of the anti-Porter?

Well done.

I've seen plenty of beardless saints.

So have I. They're children and women. ;)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #26732 on: May 30, 2017, 12:32:57 PM »
In the modern United States, I can name a thousand softies with beards and a thousand hard rocks without.

"But the bearded hard rock is the pinnacle of all." -ZZ, who knows these things. Listen to her.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #26733 on: May 30, 2017, 12:50:48 PM »
By the time that brilliant, satirical, but pious mind is done with you, I assume you'll be feeling grateful for every scrap of masculinity you maintain.

Well done.

One tries.

I'd be willing to bet that pre-glorification these "children and women" could mop the floor with Porter's big bushy beard should they so desire.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:52:32 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26734 on: May 30, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »
In the modern United States, I can name a thousand softies with beards and a thousand hard rocks without.

"But the bearded hard rock is the pinnacle of all." -ZZ, who knows these things. Listen to her.

I'm flattered.
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #26735 on: May 30, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »
PO'd has been picking pointless fights all over the place lately.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26736 on: May 30, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »

Well done.

One tries.

I'd be willing to bet that pre-glorification these "children and women" could mop the floor with Porter's big bushy beard should they so desire.

A bit unmanly to pick on slaves and soldiers, who rarely had a say in their appearance.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #26737 on: May 30, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »

A bit unmanly to pick on slaves and soldiers, who rarely had a say in their appearance.

oh you mean like MOST wage earners must comply with dress and appearance codes and unless some of them wish to remain unemployed...might go beardless in order to provide for families???
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26738 on: May 30, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »

oh you mean like MOST wage earners must comply with dress and appearance codes and unless some of them wish to remain unemployed...might go beardless in order to provide for families???

I'm certainly willing to make the connection between wage-workers of today and slaves of Antiquity, altho that's getting political.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #26739 on: May 30, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
I'm certainly willing to make the connection between wage-workers of today and slaves of Antiquity, altho that's getting political.
;)
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26740 on: May 30, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »
There are three things America suffers from lack of, in my opinion, but I hardly find anybody else that holds the opinion or even considers it: Americans suffer from lack of shame, lack of respect, and, in most cases, lack of physical pain and hardship.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:24:50 PM by Porter ODoran »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26741 on: May 30, 2017, 05:47:55 PM »

Well done.

One tries.

St. George was from a noble family.  His father was an officer, and he joined the army of his own volition.  Same for St. Demetios.  His father was, in fact, a senator.  St. Mina's father was the governor of an administrative district in Egypt.  None of these men were slaves or conscripts.  All were pious Christians and career military, all were manly beyond a shadow of a doubt, and all opted against facial hair.  Besides, I could have just as easily gone with any number of other saints.  For example:

Now go ahead and try to find a reason to dismiss each of them.  A shaven face is not necessarily an emasculated or an impious one, PO'D.  Deal with it.

Rather unmanly to carp on like a bitter, lonely, jilted old woman when you know neither your history nor your hagiography in the interests of defending some point of minutiae you're obsessed with and some warped worldview with equates manhood with hairiness.

PO'd has been picking pointless fights all over the place lately.

I've noticed.  He seems a bitter, cantankerous, spiteful shell of his former self.  He's truly earned the nickname PO'D.  His beard must be in miserable condition, because his recent catty behavior is not what I would term masculine.

Hey, you've already tried to make a connection between three ancients who weren't slaves and the institution of Roman slavery, so why not?  Go for the gusto.

There are three things America suffers from lack of, in my opinion, but I hardly find anybody else that holds the opinion or even considers it: Americans suffer from lack of shame, lack of respect, and, in most cases, lack of physical pain and hardship.

And you are the exemplar of your people, apparently, at least in the first two categories.  As for the third, try mouthing off to some beardless Marine.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:53:51 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26742 on: May 30, 2017, 06:26:59 PM »
I'm not the one obsessed. Forgive me for indulging your obsession. I'll leave you alone now with your "beardless Marines."

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #26743 on: May 30, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
Criminy
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #26744 on: May 30, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »
Criminy

That's a word which, broken into two parts -- cry and minny -- sounds very unmanly, but when said all at once has an ugly and manly abrasiveness to it. Very good, very good.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:33:28 PM by Asteriktos »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26745 on: May 30, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »
I'm not the one obsessed. Forgive me for indulging your obsession. I'll leave you alone now with your "beardless Marines."

Says the sad little man losing the debate.  Trying to flip this on me isn't going to work.  You were the one trying obsessively to prove that shaving is crime against manhood, nature, and Almighty God, a sign of impiety and femininity, and now that it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is not the case - that pious and indisputably masculine figures in the history of the Church have voluntarily opted to shave - that you don't know your history or hagiography and that your weird barn raisin' worldview concerning "chin whiskers and sich" doesn't jibe with reality - you're taking your butter churn and going home.  I'll leave you alone with...well, just alone.  ;D

And P.S. - If shaven men are unmanly and ungodly, you might want to change your avatar from that painting of a beardless St. John the Beloved to something more masculine and godly, like this:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:50:49 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #26746 on: May 30, 2017, 07:03:30 PM »
And P.S. - If shaven men are unmanly and ungodly, you might want to change your avatar from that painting of a beardless St. John the Beloved to something more masculine and godly

Only the impious would mock the masculinity of a holy apostle. As I've come to expect from you young American whipper snappers, no respect or shame.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #26747 on: May 30, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
How many hipsters has this guy actually met, that he's developed such a strong opinion about them?
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
« Reply #26748 on: May 30, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »

Preach it brother! Back in my day, if we saw a woman's ankle, we'd become inflamed in a procreative way and call her a trollop. Now they are flouting their cleavage and booties shamelessly. And the boys are even worse! I say we bring back the draft.

Post edited to remove graphic/obscene reference. Keep it clean, keep it safe. -ZZ
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:40:59 PM by ZealousZeal »
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26749 on: May 30, 2017, 07:10:04 PM »

Says the sad little man losing the debate.  Trying to flip this on me isn't going to work.  You were the one trying obsessively to prove that shaving is crime against manhood, nature, and Almighty God, a sign of impiety and femininity, and now that it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is not the case - that pious and indisputably masculine figures in the history of the Church have voluntarily opted to shave - that you don't know your history or hagiography and that your weird barn raisin' worldview concerning "chin whiskers and sich" doesn't jibe with reality - you're taking your butter churn and going home.  I'll leave you alone with...well, just alone.  ;D

And P.S. - If shaven men are unmanly and ungodly, you might want to change your avatar from that painting of a beardless St. John the Beloved to something more masculine and godly, like this:

If any of this was a debate, I'd say Alpo won. Kept it short and light-footed and left well before last call.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26750 on: May 30, 2017, 07:11:09 PM »
How many hipsters has this guy actually met, that he's developed such a strong opinion about them?

If you had lived anywhere near Brooklyn the last decade or so, you'd want it razed and salted, too.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #26751 on: May 30, 2017, 07:11:59 PM »
Criminy

That's a word which, broken into two parts -- cry and minny -- sounds very unmanly, but when said all at once has an ugly and manly abrasiveness to it. Very good, very good.

TY, Sir

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26752 on: May 30, 2017, 07:12:44 PM »

Preach it brother! Back in my day, if we saw a woman's ankle, become inflamed in a procreative way and call her a trollop. Now they are flouting their cleavage and booties shamelessly. And the boys are even worse! I say we bring back the draft.

That's not really the kind of shame I'm talking about.

Edited. -ZZ
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:41:35 PM by ZealousZeal »

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #26753 on: May 30, 2017, 07:20:01 PM »
Not for long, though.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26754 on: May 30, 2017, 07:23:22 PM »

Preach it brother! Back in my day, if we saw a woman's ankle, we'd become inflamed in a procreative way and call her a trollop. Now they are flouting their cleavage and booties shamelessly. And the boys are even worse! I say we bring back the draft.

And P.S. - If shaven men are unmanly and ungodly, you might want to change your avatar from that painting of a beardless St. John the Beloved to something more masculine and godly

Only the impious would mock the masculinity of a holy apostle. As I've come to expect from you young American whipper snappers, no respect or shame.

And the avatar...there's not a laughter gif in the world worthy of such awesomeness.

If you had lived anywhere near Brooklyn the last decade or so, you'd want it razed and salted, too.

+1

Certain neighborhoods in Philly too.

If any of this was a debate, I'd say Alpo won. Kept it short and light-footed and left well before last call.

Yeah, that's like the thousandth thing you've been wrong about in this thread.  You did get the plus one on hipsters in Brooklyn though.

Edited. -ZZ
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:42:01 PM by ZealousZeal »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #26755 on: May 30, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »

Perhaps this is coincidence, but Cersei was said to lack the same things...

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • On hiatus...too busy reading.
« Reply #26756 on: May 30, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
Tell me you are kidding especially that third one. What is wrong with you?
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • On hiatus...too busy reading.
« Reply #26757 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:42 PM »
Lets bring back slavery and whipping! Nothing like a good beating from our masters to show us what true hardship and pain is like. It builds character!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:02:11 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #26758 on: May 30, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »

Post edited to remove graphic/obscene reference. Keep it clean, keep it safe. -ZZ
I LOL'd at the admin action.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #26759 on: May 30, 2017, 11:31:58 PM »
Criminy

TY, Sir

Feel free to use it, I didn't invent it. :P

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #26760 on: May 31, 2017, 12:55:12 AM »
Beard arguments. We've all been there, amirite?
God bless!

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #26761 on: May 31, 2017, 04:33:38 AM »

For some reason we always ignore the wisdom of the ancients!

"Beardliness is next to godliness." - Abba Hezekiah

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26762 on: May 31, 2017, 08:18:47 AM »

To me, it's just silly.  I know too many devout, sincere contemporary Orthodox Christians who shave to impugn their piety and even their masculinity based on something so trivial.  I'm thinking here not only of some of the young Coptic medical students and other future professionals I serve in my own ministry, but also of some individuals of my Grandfather's generation who I would bet the farm entered into Paradise upon their repose, and whose prayers I am not ashamed to ask in my daily life.  I doubt that when they went before the Throne, God asked them why they hadn't grown in their beards.  I've seen my share of converts who think they have to dress like 19th century Russian peasants in order to be Orthodox - and there does seem to be some overlap there with the hipster movement - and yeah, I find that irksome, but mostly the reason I took this thread as personally as I did is because the notion that a shaven face is some sort of shorthand for a lack of piety or masculinity is not only shallow but insulting to too many people I know for a fact are good, sincere, and pious Orthodox Christians.  Forgive me if I reacted vigorously.  My virile, bristling beard got the better of me!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:21:05 AM by Antonious Nikolas »
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Alpha60

• The Confederate Flag Is Diabolical and Blasphemous
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #26763 on: May 31, 2017, 08:32:59 AM »

How would reinstating military conscription address the issue of sexual morality in society?  Pin-up girls were created largely to decorate barracks.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #26764 on: May 31, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »

To me, it's just silly.  I know too many devout, sincere contemporary Orthodox Christians who shave to impugn their piety and even their masculinity based on something so trivial.  I'm thinking here not only of some of the young Coptic medical students and other future professionals I serve in my own ministry, but also of some individuals of my Grandfather's generation who I would bet the farm entered into Paradise upon their repose, and whose prayers I am not ashamed to ask in my daily life.  I doubt that when they went before the Throne, God asked them why they hadn't grown in their beards.  I've seen my share of converts who think they have to dress like 19th century Russian peasants in order to be Orthodox - and there does seem to be some overlap there with the hipster movement - and yeah, I find that irksome, but mostly the reason I took this thread as personally as I did is because the notion that a shaven face is some sort of shorthand for a lack of piety or masculinity is not only shallow but insulting to too many people I know for a fact are good, sincere, and pious Orthodox Christians.  Forgive me if I reacted vigorously.  My virile, bristling beard got the better of me!  ;)

Axios!
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26765 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »

Axios!

Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26766 on: May 31, 2017, 10:30:45 AM »

Axios!

I'm pretty sure she's DeniseDenise, not PatPat.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Online ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #26767 on: May 31, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »

We aim to please.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26768 on: May 31, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »

Axios!

Puns can be fun.

Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #26769 on: May 31, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »

Axios!

Puns can be fun.

I love you.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26770 on: May 31, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »

+1

Axios!

Puns can be fun.

I love you.

I'd say I love you too, but, you know...

Can we have one thread where it doesn't devolve into how many people are hot for Mor?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #26771 on: May 31, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »
I'll pray for you, I know how difficult it must be...

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26772 on: May 31, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
I'll pray for you, I know how difficult it must be...

You seem like a warm, sensitive guy who is not afraid to give voice to his emotions.  Barbasol, n'est ce pas?
Now accepting brief PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26773 on: May 31, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »

To me, it's just silly.  I know too many devout, sincere contemporary Orthodox Christians who shave to impugn their piety and even their masculinity based on something so trivial.  I'm thinking here not only of some of the young Coptic medical students and other future professionals I serve in my own ministry, but also of some individuals of my Grandfather's generation who I would bet the farm entered into Paradise upon their repose, and whose prayers I am not ashamed to ask in my daily life. I doubt that when they went before the Throne, God asked them why they hadn't grown in their beards. I've seen my share of converts who think they have to dress like 19th century Russian peasants in order to be Orthodox - and there does seem to be some overlap there with the hipster movement - and yeah, I find that irksome, but mostly the reason I took this thread as personally as I did is because the notion that a shaven face is some sort of shorthand for a lack of piety or masculinity is not only shallow but insulting to too many people I know for a fact are good, sincere, and pious Orthodox Christians.  Forgive me if I reacted vigorously.  My virile, bristling beard got the better of me!  ;)

The better question isn't whether God judges this or that, before his Throne, but what the saints in bliss before his Throne are like? I have no illusions that shaving is a categorical sin (that was all your fancy), but, on the other hand, I'm quite willing to assert that there would be no shaved male faces in Paradise anymore than there would be any female bound (that is, corseted to be flat, as has sometimes been the fashion) breasts. The will of God for creation is quite visible in his creation, if only one can calm down enough to contemplate it.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #26774 on: May 31, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

To me, it's just silly.  I know too many devout, sincere contemporary Orthodox Christians who shave to impugn their piety and even their masculinity based on something so trivial.  I'm thinking here not only of some of the young Coptic medical students and other future professionals I serve in my own ministry, but also of some individuals of my Grandfather's generation who I would bet the farm entered into Paradise upon their repose, and whose prayers I am not ashamed to ask in my daily life. I doubt that when they went before the Throne, God asked them why they hadn't grown in their beards. I've seen my share of converts who think they have to dress like 19th century Russian peasants in order to be Orthodox - and there does seem to be some overlap there with the hipster movement - and yeah, I find that irksome, but mostly the reason I took this thread as personally as I did is because the notion that a shaven face is some sort of shorthand for a lack of piety or masculinity is not only shallow but insulting to too many people I know for a fact are good, sincere, and pious Orthodox Christians.  Forgive me if I reacted vigorously.  My virile, bristling beard got the better of me!  ;)

The better question isn't whether God judges this or that, before his Throne, but what the saints in bliss before his Throne are like? I have no illusions that shaving is a categorical sin (that was all your fancy), but, on the other hand, I'm quite willing to assert that there would be no shaved male faces in Paradise anymore than there would be any female bound (that is, corseted to be flat, as has sometimes been the fashion) breasts. The will of God for creation is quite visible in his creation, if only one can calm down enough to contemplate it.

I am all contemplation...