Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5877842 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #26685 on: May 25, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
No godly woman would told man to shave.

Unless he could be mistaken for a Wookiee. No godly woman dates outside her species.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #26686 on: May 25, 2017, 12:31:51 PM »
lol my girlfriend wants me to shave because some chick she just pretended to like told her it looks manly

Leave her. No godly woman would told man to shave.

Is the reverse true in your weird hipster world where Ned Kelly beards and handlebar moustaches are all the rage for reasons that have nothing to do with piety?  No "godly" man would tell a woman to shave her legs or pits?
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #26687 on: May 25, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »
She likes the beard, and this was exactly the problem  ;D  but it was easy to talk her out of it. Jelly girl...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:34:58 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #26688 on: May 25, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
lol my girlfriend wants me to shave because some chick she just pretended to like told her it looks manly

Is the reverse true in your weird hipster world where Ned Kelly beards and handlebar moustaches are all the rage for reasons that have nothing to do with piety?  No "godly" man would tell a woman to shave her legs or pits?

What's that got to do with anything? Both men and women have armpit hair. Men's beards are different: they're a secondary sex characteristic, like enlarged breasts for women. You tell a man he had to remove a male sex characteristic and you demean him as a male.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #26689 on: May 25, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
I liked this tweet:
https://twitter.com/deaconzafari/status/867777033820143616

Just some translation notices:
shoria=censor
bokhor=smoke from incense
taunts=aunts
odaas=liturgy
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26690 on: May 25, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »
She's crazy. She was pretending to be a Muslim to troll some schoolmate and the girl eventually asked her how she could convert.  :laugh:
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #26691 on: May 27, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »
Guitarist Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers band has died.

Rest in peace.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26692 on: May 27, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
45 years after his brother. Memory eternal.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #26693 on: May 27, 2017, 04:28:06 PM »
What a sad May for music.   Lord have mercy. 
"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26694 on: May 27, 2017, 06:47:18 PM »
What would you say is the key difference between a well-dressed man on a bicycle and a poorly-dressed man on a unicycle?

That's right -- a'tire.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #26695 on: May 27, 2017, 07:00:22 PM »
What would you say is the key difference between a well-dressed man on a bicycle and a poorly-dressed man on a unicycle?

That's right -- a'tire.

;D

I'm adding this to my arsenal; I already have excommunication threats for bad jokes :P
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26696 on: May 27, 2017, 11:01:12 PM »
I just want to relate how happy it makes me when I see Asteriktos has posted more of quotations in the Fathers threads. Thank you, Justin.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26697 on: May 29, 2017, 12:21:51 AM »
My mother's take on ecumenism, from a recent letter: "Well, not to write a long treatise on it, but if you follow the news at all you will see how we are right now on the very brink of a one-world government and 666! It is definitely coming together. A one-world Bible and a one-world religion are coming together. I do believe that it will come in our dear grandchildren's lifetime."

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #26698 on: May 29, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
One world government- ah, yes, the Byzantine ideal.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #26699 on: May 29, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »
My mother's take on ecumenism, from a recent letter: "Well, not to write a long treatise on it, but if you follow the news at all you will see how we are right now on the very brink of a one-world government and 666! It is definitely coming together. A one-world Bible and a one-world religion are coming together. I do believe that it will come in our dear grandchildren's lifetime."
;D

I hear the same things from my family. When I was a kid, they were positive the rapture was going to happen in their lifetime. Now that they are close to 70, the goalposts are changing.  :P
God bless!

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #26700 on: May 29, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »

That's right -- a'tire.

I didnt understand it, probably just native english speakers understand.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26701 on: May 29, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »

That's right -- a'tire.

I didnt understand it, probably just native english speakers understand.

"Attire" -- clothing -- and "a tire" -- a rubber wheel -- are homonyms. The joke is meant to be told rather than written.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26702 on: May 29, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »

What's that got to do with anything? Both men and women have armpit hair. Men's beards are different: they're a secondary sex characteristic, like enlarged breasts for women. You tell a man he had to remove a male sex characteristic and you demean him as a male.

That's ridiculous.  A man with a beard is not necessarily more masculine than a man who shaves and to state that "no godly woman would tell a man to shave" is stupid.  If a girl doesn't feel like being scratched up by a beard when she kisses a guy and asks him to shave, that doesn't mean she's a harridan and it doesn't mean he's an emasculated weakling if he complies.  Presently, I have a beard, and no complaints from my woman, and I'm a guy who can grow a beard in less than a week whenever I feel like it, but I not delusional enough to think that I'd somehow lose my strength or masculinity a la Sampson if tomorrow I decided to shave.  I'd still have the same morals, the same code and set of personal guidelines, the same work ethic, the same skill set in terms of defending myself, and all of my other inherently masculine traits, with or without the beard.  I'd still be the exact same guy, shave or no shave for whatever reason.  Brock Lesnar is not less masculine than Zack Galifianakis.  And yeah, both men and women have armpit and leg hair, but you're missing the point.  If a guy prefers that his woman shave those areas because he finds that more attractive, he's not demeaning her by asking her to change something God made to grow on her, and by the same token, if a woman asks her man to shave because she finds that more attractive, she's not asking him to scrape off a badge of his masculinity.  He's still just as much a man with or without hair on his face just like she's still the same woman whether or not she choses to shave her legs.

Bottom line, I think throwback hipster culture that fetishizes things like beards, handlebar moustaches, tiny houses, gluten free foods, mandolins, suspenders, miscellaneous aspects of 19th century American or British culture, etc. etc., literally ad nauseam, sucks big time.  If this is your idea of "masculine"...

...you have no idea what masculine is.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:40:42 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26703 on: May 29, 2017, 07:38:46 PM »
Talk about random. A woman who's undergone a mastectomy is still a woman, too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:40:23 PM by Porter ODoran »

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26704 on: May 29, 2017, 07:44:52 PM »

Of course she is, although a beard and breasts aren't really comparable, since I can grow or shave a beard anytime I feel like it without being traumatized, while a woman who has her breast surgically removed, not so much.  And you're still missing the point.  Alpo, a self-declared hipster, said, "No godly woman would ask a man to shave".  That's a stupid statement.  Even if he meant it in jest, it's representative of and derives from a subculture that is worse than goths and bronies combined.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:48:05 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26705 on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:05 PM »

Of course she is, although a beard and breasts aren't really comparable, since I can grow or shave a beard anytime I feel like it without being traumatized, while a woman who has her breast surgically removed, not so much.  And you're still missing the point.  Alpo, a self-declared hipster, said, "No godly woman would ask a man to shave".  That's a stupid statement.  Even if he meant it in jest, it's representative of and derives from a subculture that is worse than goths and bronies combined.

Maybe you need a broader view. It's not like hipsters invented the beard. Life has meaning outside popular culture. Fair point about a beard being just hair, tho.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26706 on: May 29, 2017, 08:21:58 PM »
Maybe you need a broader view.

Not really.  I was evaluating the remark based on the context in which it was made, but even evaluated on its own merits in total isolation from its author and the context, it is still a ridiculous statement in the modern West.  The idea that a woman living in the modern West who prefers that her husband shave is an "ungodly" person is stupid.  She might be more godly than a thousand poseurs in beards and headscarves.

It's not like hipsters invented the beard. Life has meaning outside popular culture.

Fetishizing the beard as a badge of masculinity in the modern West is silly whether it's hipsters doing the fetishizing or not.  They're just particularly egregious for a number of reasons.  We're not ancient Greeks, pre-Peter the Great Russians, or members of any other culture in which beard = masculine, bald-faced = vulnerable youth a la Telemachus and Penelope's suitors.  In the modern United States, I can name a thousand softies with beards and a thousand hard rocks without.  The same goes for the shallowness of equating the beard with piety and a shaven face with immorality in a modern American parish.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26707 on: May 29, 2017, 08:42:22 PM »
Maybe you need a broader view.

Not really.  I was evaluating the remark based on the context in which it was made, but even evaluated on its own merits in total isolation from its author and the context, it is still a ridiculous statement in the modern West.  The idea that a woman living in the modern West who prefers that her husband shave is an "ungodly" person is stupid.  She might be more godly than a thousand poseurs in beards and headscarves.

It's not like hipsters invented the beard. Life has meaning outside popular culture.

Fetishizing the beard as a badge of masculinity in the modern West is silly whether it's hipsters doing the fetishizing or not.  They're just particularly egregious for a number of reasons.  We're not ancient Greeks, pre-Peter the Great Russians, or members of any other culture in which beard = masculine, bald-faced = vulnerable youth a la Telemachus and Penelope's suitors.  In the modern United States, I can name a thousand softies with beards and a thousand hard rocks without.  The same goes for the shallowness of equating the beard with piety and a shaven face with immorality in a modern American parish.

Do you have trouble growing a beard?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26708 on: May 29, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »

Do you actually read the replies of people you're dialoguing with?

Presently, I have a beard...I'm a guy who can grow a beard in less than a week whenever I feel like it...

I can grow or shave a beard anytime I feel like it...

So no, Dr. Freud, I don't have a problem with Alpo's statement because of beard envy.  I have a problem with it because it is shallow, presumptuous and stupid and because the millennial hipster culture sucks.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:57:33 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26709 on: May 29, 2017, 09:01:45 PM »
...and because the millennial hipster culture sucks.

Alithos it sucks!
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26710 on: May 29, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »

Do you actually read the replies of people you're dialoguing with?

Presently, I have a beard...I'm a guy who can grow a beard in less than a week whenever I feel like it...

I can grow or shave a beard anytime I feel like it...

So no, Dr. Freud, I don't have a problem with Alpo's statement because of beard envy.  I have a problem with it because it is shallow, presumptuous and stupid and because the millennial hipster culture sucks.

I guess you're just a very intense guy.

I'm not sure where you got the idea the beard is historically rare. If you were to look at American history, you'd find years and places when beards were standard would be very prevalent. Maybe the on the Victorian Era was covered when you had a sick day?

And you can't get around the fact the beard is a natural, God-given male secondary sex characteristic.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #26711 on: May 29, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26712 on: May 29, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »
I guess you're just a very intense guy.

Praise from Caesar is praise indeed.

I'm not sure where you got the idea the beard is historically rare.

Whoever said the beard is historically rare?  I said the idea that a woman who asks her man to shave his beard is "ungodly" is a stupid one in contemporary Western society.  The fact that I introduced the notion that such would not be the case in a number of other times and places to this discussion demonstrates that I'm aware of the connotations the beard carried in those societies if not our own.

If you were to look at American history, you'd find years and places when beards were standard would be very prevalent.

I'm aware.  I'm also aware that we don't live in such an era.  I'm further aware that the fact that beards fell in and out of fashion in various cultures at various points in history does nothing to undermine my essential points that:

a. Alpo's statement was a stupid one
b. The hipster culture which spawned it sucks big time.

Maybe the on the Victorian Era was covered when you had a sick day?

There you go not reading again.  One of my major stated criticisms of hipster culture was their aping of things Victorian.

And you can't get around the fact the beard is a natural, God-given male secondary sex characteristic.

I don't have to, since you can't get around the fact that shaving one's beard is neither emasculating nor indicative of a lack of piety.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:36:58 PM by Antonious Nikolas »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26713 on: May 29, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
Wow. You come across tonight as someone who lives in a very narrow and emotional inner world. I'm not sure what about the 1950s so strongly recommends them to you as a universal standard of culture, fashion, masculinity, and godliness, but even granting Don Draper a place among the saints wouldn't explain why variations from him seem to make you so angry.

As for your last sortie -- shaving is emasculating by definition. It's it also impious? Alpo was making an ironic joke, but I'll let you take the subject up with Clement of Alexandria. By the time that brilliant, satirical, but pious mind is done with you, I assume you'll be feeling grateful for every scrap of masculinity you maintain.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #26714 on: May 29, 2017, 10:54:13 PM »
1)A lot of women I've dated prefer either full facial hair or a baby face...they hate stubble because it hurts.  This is the worst of all worlds for me, as I grow stubble quick.  Typical.

2)As for directly taking fashion advice from just one woman, or just women in general...that's a dangerous game.  At the end of the day you have to ask yourself this, do you want to be dressed by your mother every day?  The girlfriend/wife is just a lateral move.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:58:35 PM by William T »
Holy Toledo!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26715 on: May 29, 2017, 10:55:53 PM »
2)As for directly taking fashion advice from just one woman, or women in general...that's a dangerous game.  At the end of the day you have to ask yourself this, do you want to be dressed by your mother every day?  The girlfriend/wife is just a lateral move.
Yeah, I let her put jeans on me, but I like my beard.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #26716 on: May 29, 2017, 10:57:59 PM »
Reading this board tonight, in between Stanley Cup action, has been a hoot and a half :)

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #26717 on: May 29, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
Reading this board tonight, in between Stanley Cup action, has been a hoot and a half :)

I'm stuck at work.  So far I've only been able to watch the Pens twice during the whole playoffs  :( :( :(
Holy Toledo!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26718 on: May 29, 2017, 11:00:01 PM »
2)As for directly taking fashion advice from just one woman, or women in general...that's a dangerous game.  At the end of the day you have to ask yourself this, do you want to be dressed by your mother every day?  The girlfriend/wife is just a lateral move.

So you've actually spent time with her in person?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26719 on: May 29, 2017, 11:08:32 PM »

So you've actually spent time with her in person?
I did, but the jeans part was by distance, I was more of a shorts guy even in law lectures.  ;D  We've met twice, there was going to be a third time, but we had some problems (we even baked her a cheesecake here, but we had to eat all of it lol) and now I'll go back there in Relationships' Day (which is like Valentine's in Brazil, but June the 12th).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:10:57 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #26720 on: May 29, 2017, 11:10:39 PM »
I think Czar Peter the Great was on the right track about beards. But then again, all I can grow is a neard.

"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #26721 on: May 29, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »

Heck yeah man, establish those boundaries or else you'll look....

...adorable in your man-bun and brompers!!!!
Holy Toledo!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #26722 on: May 29, 2017, 11:11:52 PM »

That's ridiculous.  A man with a beard is not necessarily more masculine than a man who shaves and to state that "no godly woman would tell a man to shave" is stupid.  If a girl doesn't feel like being scratched up by a beard when she kisses a guy and asks him to shave, that doesn't mean she's a harridan and it doesn't mean he's an emasculated weakling if he complies.  Presently, I have a beard, and no complaints from my woman, and I'm a guy who can grow a beard in less than a week whenever I feel like it, but I not delusional enough to think that I'd somehow lose my strength or masculinity a la Sampson if tomorrow I decided to shave.  I'd still have the same morals, the same code and set of personal guidelines, the same work ethic, the same skill set in terms of defending myself, and all of my other inherently masculine traits, with or without the beard.  I'd still be the exact same guy, shave or no shave for whatever reason.  Brock Lesnar is not less masculine than Zack Galifianakis.  And yeah, both men and women have armpit and leg hair, but you're missing the point.  If a guy prefers that his woman shave those areas because he finds that more attractive, he's not demeaning her by asking her to change something God made to grow on her, and by the same token, if a woman asks her man to shave because she finds that more attractive, she's not asking him to scrape off a badge of his masculinity.  He's still just as much a man with or without hair on his face just like she's still the same woman whether or not she choses to shave her legs.

Bottom line, I think throwback hipster culture that fetishizes things like beards, handlebar moustaches, tiny houses, gluten free foods, mandolins, suspenders, miscellaneous aspects of 19th century American or British culture, etc. etc., literally ad nauseam, sucks big time.  If this is your idea of "masculine"...

...you have no idea what masculine is.

You do realize it was a joke, right?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #26723 on: May 29, 2017, 11:20:46 PM »

I'm stuck at work.  So far I've only been able to watch the Pens twice during the whole playoffs  :( :( :(

I guess the Pens won.  Go pens.  I still cringe every time I see a team from Tenseness, Arizona, Fla, etc play for the cup.

Now back to work  :( :( :(
Holy Toledo!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #26724 on: May 29, 2017, 11:35:28 PM »

I guess the Pens won.  Go pens.  I still cringe every time I see a team from Tenseness, Arizona, Fla, etc play for the cup.

Now back to work  :( :( :(

It was the craziest 5 goal performance I've seen. They got one goal when a Predator came off the bench and a few seconds later put it into his own net. One goal was taken away from Nashville when upon review they ruled they were offside (I didn't see that, but I'll take it). One of the Pens goals was an empty-netter at the end. There was a span of about 35 minutes in the 2nd and 3rd period when the Pens had one shot on goal. Seriously. A single shot. They ended the game with 12 total shots on goal. They got outplayed for pretty much the entire game except like a 4 minute span in the first period when they got 3 of their goals (one of them on a 5 on 3 power play). Truly weird game. I also haven't seen many games, because I don't have cable. Apparently the next game on network TV is Game 4 next Monday, bah.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:37:21 PM by Asteriktos »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #26725 on: May 29, 2017, 11:53:15 PM »
Came back to edit my post but it's been too long... anyway, according to ESPN, that shooting drought was almost 37 minutes, and they had no shots during that span. Oy.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26726 on: May 30, 2017, 12:14:52 AM »

Heck yeah man, establish those boundaries or else you'll look....

...adorable in your man-bun and brompers!!!!
None of them are using flip-flops or T-shirts, so they can't be me.  :P

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26727 on: May 30, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
Wow. You come across tonight as someone who lives in a very narrow and emotional inner world.

And you're coming off especially dense and impervious to actual communication.  And so you crank out gems like this...

I'm not sure what about the 1950s so strongly recommends them to you as a universal standard of culture, fashion, masculinity, and godliness, but even granting Don Draper a place among the saints wouldn't explain why variations from him seem to make you so angry.

Who on earth said I was a great fan of 1950s fashion or even on the non-bearded man as the archetype of masculinity in general?  Haven't I said several times in this conversation that I personally have a beard?  I'm merely objecting to your silly idea that not having a beard is somehow emasculating and impious.

As for your last sortie -- shaving is emasculating by definition.

Only for someone with your particular set of insecurities and hang-ups.  If I shaved my beard tomorrow, I'd still be the same man I am today.

It's it also impious? Alpo was making an ironic joke

How hipster.

but I'll let you take the subject up with Clement of Alexandria.

His is one opinion, rooted in a particular time and place.  I've seen plenty of beardless saints.

By the time that brilliant, satirical, but pious mind is done with you, I assume you'll be feeling grateful for every scrap of masculinity you maintain.

So then he's sort of the anti-Porter?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26728 on: May 30, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »

Of course.  But the subculture which spawned it deserves ridicule.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #26729 on: May 30, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »

Of course.  But the subculture which spawned it deserves ridicule.

Seems more like "someone's wrong on internet" than ridicule. But I do approve of the irony. ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:19:47 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34