Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2142085 times)

Offline Jakub

• Archon
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #2655 on: October 22, 2007, 02:38:29 PM »
Why all the hate my OCnet friends ? I trouble no one...except those of the NYY flock
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #2656 on: October 22, 2007, 03:04:03 PM »
Why do you people continue to defile this wonderful thread of utter crazy randomness with talk about baseball......you should all be committed...
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)

Offline Cephas

• There is no spoon.
  • Elder
  • γνῶθισε αυτόν
« Reply #2657 on: October 22, 2007, 03:14:04 PM »
+ Irini nem ehmot,

The thread, the thread, the thread is on fire...
Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #2658 on: October 22, 2007, 03:37:20 PM »
WE DONT NEED NO WATAH, LET DAT FUNKYMONKEY BURN!
"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9

Offline Fr. David

• The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
  • Archon
    • Iglesia Ortodoxa de los Santos Apóstoles
« Reply #2659 on: October 22, 2007, 04:31:17 PM »
Heh, heh...Funkymonkey...

"It's hot enough to boil a monkey's bum in here, your Majesty!"
Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2660 on: October 23, 2007, 12:25:02 AM »
Red Sox fans are the second most annoying in the world. The MOST annoying fans are Chicago White Sox fans. They're like Red Sox fans covered in the rust of Cleveland (haha, when's the last time we made a rust joke about cleveland?)

-Nick ;D
I've heard stories, though, about how rude Philadelphia's sports fans can be.
  • They once booed Santa Claus.
  • Someone accused Eagles fans of booing QB Donavan McNabb the day he was drafted, though I haven't yet been able to confirm this story.
  • "Wild Thing" relief pitcher Mitch Williams received death threats from irate Phillie fans after allowing Joe Carter to hit the come-from-behind, walk-off home run that won the 1993 World Series--the threats effectively helped ruin his career.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline admiralnick

• Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2661 on: October 23, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »
I've heard stories, though, about how rude Philadelphia's sports fans can be.
  • They once booed Santa Claus.
  • Someone accused Eagles fans of booing QB Donavan McNabb the day he was drafted, though I haven't yet been able to confirm this story.
  • "Wild Thing" relief pitcher Mitch Williams received death threats from irate Phillie fans after allowing Joe Carter to hit the come-from-behind, walk-off home run that won the 1993 World Series--the threats effectively helped ruin his career.

That actually wouldn't surprise me since people in Philadelphia seem to be rude in general. I've flown through the Philly airport twice and I will NEVER fly through there again. Even if my fare price doubles, it will be worth it to avoid philly.
The ORIGINAL: "NULL"

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2662 on: October 23, 2007, 03:16:45 PM »
I lived in Philadelphia for some years.  There was an old joke that "I went to a fight one night and a hockey game broke out."

;D

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2663 on: October 24, 2007, 12:46:24 AM »
Of course, walking nearly a batter an inning over his entire 11-year career certainly didn't help.  He certainly earned his nickname "Wild Thing". :o

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #2664 on: October 24, 2007, 07:59:28 AM »
+ Irini nem ehmot,

The thread, the thread, the thread is on fire...

I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #2665 on: October 24, 2007, 05:09:24 PM »
Wow. En-ter-tain-ment. Say it with me now. It's-just-en-ter-tain-ment. Feel better yet? Repeat it again.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2666 on: October 24, 2007, 05:44:15 PM »
Wow. En-ter-tain-ment. Say it with me now. It's-just-en-ter-tain-ment. Feel better yet? Repeat it again. 

Passion.  Commitment.  Insanity.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #2667 on: October 24, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »
Apparently. I can say I was really miffed with the Cards when they blew the 2004 World Series (Eight errors in two games? My Little League team did better than that!), but I certainly wasn't wishing their deaths! Insanity indeed.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Cephas

• There is no spoon.
  • Elder
  • γνῶθισε αυτόν
« Reply #2668 on: October 24, 2007, 07:03:18 PM »
+ Irini nem ehmot,

I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!!  :D
Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2669 on: October 24, 2007, 07:25:48 PM »
I got a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!!  :D

Overplayed.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #2670 on: October 24, 2007, 07:26:09 PM »
ROX or SOX...what say y'all...

Go BC, Pats, Bruins and...Celtics (Yo Kevin)

Cow Bells are for bullriding...

More Air Horns...

Cowboy Up
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 07:27:31 PM by Jakub »
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline Cephas

• There is no spoon.
  • Elder
  • γνῶθισε αυτόν
« Reply #2671 on: October 24, 2007, 07:29:17 PM »
+ Irini nem ehmot,

Overplayed.

And another one bites the dust...
Cephas 

-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2672 on: October 24, 2007, 09:39:18 PM »
+ Irini nem ehmot,

And another one bites the dust...

Why just cuz Cleveland said so?  His team lost...can't say that I'm gona listen to a loser... ;) ;D
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2673 on: October 25, 2007, 12:16:04 AM »
Apparently. I can say I was really miffed with the Cards when they blew the 2004 World Series (Eight errors in two games? My Little League team did better than that!), but I certainly wasn't wishing their deaths! Insanity indeed.
So, what think you of these two words:  "Don Denkinger"?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:16:18 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #2674 on: October 25, 2007, 11:12:22 PM »
Pardon me, but it sounds alot like the name of an ugly male stripper. ;D

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #2675 on: October 28, 2007, 05:44:45 PM »
Three strangers strike up a conversation in the airport passenger lounge in Bozeman, Montana, while awaiting their respective flights.

One is an American Indian passing through from Lame Deer. Another is a Cowboy on his way to Billings for a livestock show & the third passenger is a fundamentalist Arab student, newly arrived at Montana State University from the Middle East.

Their discussion drifts to their diverse cultures. Soon, the two Westerners learn that the Arab is a devout, radical Muslim and the conversation falls into an uneasy lull.

The cowboy leans back in his chair, crosses his boots on a magazine table and tips his big sweat-stained hat forward over his face.

The wind outside is blowing tumbleweeds around, and the old windsock is flapping; but still no plane comes.

Finally, the American Indian clears his throat and softly he speaks, "At one time here, my people were many, but sadly, now we are few."

The Muslim student raises an eyebrow and leans forward, "Once my people were few," he sneers, "and now we are many. Why do you suppose that is?"

The Montana cowboy shifts his toothpick to one side of his mouth and from the darkness beneath his Stetson says in a smooth drawl.  "That's 'cause we ain't played Cowboys and Muslims yet, but I do believe it's  a-comin'."

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2676 on: October 29, 2007, 01:06:28 PM »
Why just cuz Cleveland said so?  His team lost...can't say that I'm gona listen to a loser... ;) ;D

I'm sorry - who won the Central Division this year?  Right.  Not the White Sox.  I won't talk smack against the Bostonians (who are the most annoying fans in sports); but you've got no wiggle room with me there, Windy City fellow.  You and your Sox and Cubs can tuck your tails and go! ;D ;) :D

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #2677 on: October 29, 2007, 02:04:04 PM »
Annoying fan eh, hmmm...

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2678 on: October 29, 2007, 02:10:21 PM »
Annoying fan eh, hmmm...

Hey man, I lived in Boston in 2003 (for the choke) and 2004 (the world series).  I've seen the fans when they're high and low.  And yes, generally speaking, Boston Red Sox fans are the most annoying in the world.  They call themselves intelligent fans, but nearly every Bruins and Celtics game was punctuated with a round of "Yankees Suck" from the crowd.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #2679 on: October 29, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »
They call themselves intelligent fans, but nearly every Bruins and Celtics game was punctuated with a round of "Yankees Suck" from the crowd.
Bostonians tend to think of themselves as intelligent in general; the trouble is that they equate liberalism with intelligence. Parroting Michael Moore makes one no more intelligent than parroting Pat Robertson. I think having the world headquarters of Christian Science has gone to their heads.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2680 on: October 29, 2007, 02:49:34 PM »
Bostonians tend to think of themselves as intelligent in general; the trouble is that they equate liberalism with intelligence.

And many of them are intelligent - there are lots of PhD's in the city because there are lots of colleges (which means lots of graduates and lots of professors).  But the arrogance comes from many factors, including Boston's rich history, it's central role in American Politics over the last 250 years, it's academic environment.  While New Yorkers don't think anything exists outside of the city, Bostonians don't think civilization exists outside the city.  Combine that with the huge mood swings (caused by the erratic weather and the horrible road system), and you get stressed out folks who need the Sawks as their escape.

{edit}

Oh, and let's not forget the outrageous land values as a source of arrogance and pride; Boston frequently competes with New York for the most expensive city to live in award.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 02:50:26 PM by cleveland »

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #2681 on: October 29, 2007, 02:53:05 PM »
Seems like a fair analysis.

Yeah, Back Bay is among the most expensive real estate in the world, but perhaps that's because it was underwater a few years ago.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2682 on: October 29, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »
Yeah, Back Bay is among the most expensive real estate in the world, but perhaps that's because it was underwater a few years ago. 

Haha.  Yeah, right on.  I always loved the tour guide's rules for Boston roads: (I was a part of 4 orientations at HC - 1 as a newbie, 3 as an Orientation leader) if it's straight and flat, it was water; if its curvy and hilly, it was land.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2683 on: October 29, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »
I know the regional interest in this game probably extends no further than the home cities of Portland, OR, and Ogden, UT, but did anyone happen to see, buried deep in the college football section, the score of the NCAA Div. I - Tournament Subdivision (formerly I-AA) football game between Weber State and Portland State?  The Portland State quarterback threw 9 TD passes, AND STILL LOST! :o  The box score of the game looks something like this:

Weber St.    3  35  21  14 - 73
Portland St.  7  20  21  20 - 68

The 141 combined points scored in this football game is an all-time single-game record for all levels of NCAA play.  I imagine that the 1189 yards of combined total offense has to be close to a record, as well.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 08:07:52 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2684 on: October 30, 2007, 11:42:41 PM »
You know...it takes a special breed of person to be a chicago sports fan, especially for the Cubs.  We LIVE for the fact that we're gona lose...talk about fanatic...
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2685 on: October 30, 2007, 11:43:07 PM »
Can you people believe that we're almost approaching 200 pages of this thread?  holy cow. 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2686 on: October 30, 2007, 11:45:36 PM »
Can you people believe that we're almost approaching 200 pages of this thread?  holy cow. 
Talk about Cub fans!  That phrase "Holy Cow!" was made famous--though he certainly didn't invent it--by one of the most famous Cub fans of them all, Harry Caray.  May he rest in peace.  (I can still remember, from my days watching the Cubs on WGN, that cardboard(?) caricature of a cow shot full of holes that he had in front of his broadcaster's booth.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:49:04 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2687 on: October 31, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »
i loved that thing!  I remember when one time they brought out an actual cow on the field, with a halo around it.  HILARIOUS!  He seemed to enjoy it.  what a great guy. 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Ian Lazarus

• The Main Man!
  • OC.net guru
  • yIjah, Qey' 'oH!
« Reply #2688 on: October 31, 2007, 07:54:42 PM »
Rockets won their seaseon opener!  Now lets see if they win the next one.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2689 on: November 05, 2007, 08:11:15 PM »
You know what's refreshing?  In about 4-4.5 months (at the posting pace we've been at for the last 4 or so) this thread will get to return to its original purpose: counting down to a big posting milestone (in this case, 200k).

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2690 on: November 05, 2007, 10:18:35 PM »
it has been kind of slow huh....

no one's in the mood for shenanigans. 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #2691 on: November 06, 2007, 12:38:48 AM »
Welcome to Hotel California Mr. Torre...

Although you know the story after all you were a Angel broadcaster at one time...

Offline Bono Vox

• The Orthodox Bagpiper
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2692 on: November 06, 2007, 01:22:05 AM »
Just a random observation I made at the Bass Pro headquarters in Springfield MO today-

Crocks are hideously ugly on adults, but look cute on little kids.

What say you?
Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #2693 on: November 06, 2007, 07:38:40 AM »
I do not even want to know... ;)
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #2694 on: November 06, 2007, 08:07:40 AM »
"Crocks" refers to either (1) shoes

or (2) storage jars.

Neither one was ever meant to be worn.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:09:06 AM by ytterbiumanalyst »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2695 on: November 06, 2007, 08:39:48 AM »
"Crocks" refers to either (1) shoes
or (2) storage jars.
Neither one was ever meant to be worn.

I think he knows about the shoes (he does live on a college campus).  What he probably doesn't want to get into is OB's comparative study of kids and adults and their footwear... ;) ;D

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2696 on: November 06, 2007, 08:41:06 AM »
Welcome to Hotel California Mr. Torre...

Although you know the story after all you were a Angel broadcaster at one time...

The Dodgers are finally getting a classy manager with a track record for success.  Move over Tommy L (and I know any movement is hard for 'ya) - LA finally has a manager to rally around.

Offline Bono Vox

• The Orthodox Bagpiper
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #2697 on: November 06, 2007, 10:13:01 AM »
I think he knows about the shoes (he does live on a college campus).  What he probably doesn't want to get into is OB's comparative study of kids and adults and their footwear... ;) ;D

My kids wear crocks and they are cute. Some of my co workers wear crocks and they are tacky.
Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #2698 on: November 06, 2007, 10:18:19 AM »
You know what's refreshing?  In about 4-4.5 months (at the posting pace we've been at for the last 4 or so) this thread will get to return to its original purpose: counting down to a big posting milestone (in this case, 200k).

Little did any of us then know what the thread would become, how it would grow and grow and wander in its ever increasing page count....

;D
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #2699 on: November 06, 2007, 10:23:08 AM »
My kids wear crocks and they are cute. Some of my co workers wear crocks and they are tacky.
APB>...cited Tuesday 02/11/07 we have a six-niner-zero. Repeat, six-niner-zero: Ambiguous pronoun reference. Suspect still online. All units respond. Over.