Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5877839 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #26415 on: December 22, 2016, 06:17:12 PM »
Lol

Then, 500 years later, someone in Finland wrote a song about the coming of spring. It was a nice, bouncy tune with nice bouncy words, but it was Finnish and nobody noticed what a good melody it was until 300 years after that

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20161220-the-surprising-origins-of-famous-christmas-carols
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #26416 on: December 23, 2016, 03:46:31 AM »
Lol

Then, 500 years later, someone in Finland wrote a song about the coming of spring. It was a nice, bouncy tune with nice bouncy words, but it was Finnish and nobody noticed what a good melody it was until 300 years after that

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20161220-the-surprising-origins-of-famous-christmas-carols

Even better:

Neale was an odd chap. He once wrote a history of church pews.

A history of church pews sounds like something an Odox would write. Hopefully he blames Augustine for the them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:46:53 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #26417 on: December 23, 2016, 10:06:03 AM »
Dropped some stuff on a feet, hurt two toes, waiting 6th hour in a hospital after having an x-ray, in a company of mostly drunkards and wives beaten by their husbands. Bored and hungry.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:07:21 AM by mike »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #26418 on: December 23, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
Dropped some stuff on a feet, hurt two toes, waiting 6th hour in a hospital after having an x-ray, in a company of mostly drunkards and wives beaten by their husbands. Bored and hungry.

Kyrie eleison.   I really do hope you get feeling better.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #26419 on: December 23, 2016, 11:48:43 AM »
Is there any more obnoxious  holiday tradition than Yankee Swap/Cajun Christmas/Dirty Santa?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #26420 on: December 23, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »

Kyrie eleison.   I really do hope you get feeling better.

Thanks.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #26421 on: December 23, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »
Is there any more obnoxious  holiday tradition than Yankee Swap/Cajun Christmas/Dirty Santa?

Festivus.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #26422 on: December 23, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »

Welcome to Poland.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #26423 on: December 23, 2016, 05:28:53 PM »

Hopefully you'll get out okay.  I hope the X-ray doesn't show any fractures either
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #26424 on: December 23, 2016, 06:04:11 PM »

Hopefully you'll get out okay.  I hope the X-ray doesn't show any fractures either

Phalanx in 5 pieces, actually.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #26425 on: December 23, 2016, 07:00:45 PM »

Phalanx in 5 pieces, actually.

Ouch...that is painful!

Hang in there.  Hopefully you get good pain meds.  You're in my prayers
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #26426 on: December 23, 2016, 11:01:30 PM »
That awkward moment when you're reading about notorious national Communists and accidentally find your next professor's father.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:01:43 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #26427 on: December 23, 2016, 11:35:23 PM »
That awkward moment when you're reading about notorious national Communists and accidentally find your next professor's father.
yikes!
...now to plan my escape from my kids and exes to attend Christmas Vespers tomorrow...
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #26428 on: December 24, 2016, 12:34:46 AM »

Please don't disappear.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26429 on: December 24, 2016, 01:09:28 AM »
Please don't disappear.
I'll just be riding my helicopter, as Latin American tradition dictates.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #26430 on: December 24, 2016, 01:18:03 AM »
Please don't disappear.
I'll just be riding my helicopter, as Latin American tradition dictates.

Just be suspicious if the flight attendant keeps suggesting you change into swim shorts during your flight.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26431 on: January 01, 2017, 08:47:55 PM »
Some people make the temptation of judgement way too hard.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #26432 on: January 07, 2017, 04:01:01 PM »
:( Stopped at 2 stores tonight after Vigil, neither had any eggnog left. I was initially surprised when it was still available this late, but I have gotten at this time the past few years. It seems they start selling it in the middle of November before Thanksgiving. Now I'll have to think of something else to do with the spiced rum tomorrow, ... perhaps flip.

This is the last eggnog recipe you will ever need, so please don't ever bother with store bought eggnog again.
Thanks again, here is the recipe contained in the link for everyone's benefit, Christ is Born!

2 large eggs
3 oz (by volume) superfine or baker’s sugar (NOT powdered!)
½ tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
2 oz brandy
2 oz spiced rum (I use Sailor Jerry’s)
6 oz whole milk
4 oz heavy cream

Beat eggs in blender for one minute on medium speed. Slowly add sugar and blend for one additional minute. With blender still running, add nutmeg, brandy, rum, milk and cream until combined.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #26433 on: January 07, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »
:( Stopped at 2 stores tonight after Vigil, neither had any eggnog left. I was initially surprised when it was still available this late, but I have gotten at this time the past few years. It seems they start selling it in the middle of November before Thanksgiving. Now I'll have to think of something else to do with the spiced rum tomorrow, ... perhaps flip.

This is the last eggnog recipe you will ever need, so please don't ever bother with store bought eggnog again.
Thanks again, here is the recipe contained in the link for everyone's benefit, Christ is Born!

2 large eggs
2 oz brandy
6 oz whole milk
4 oz heavy cream

Beat eggs in blender for one minute on medium speed. Slowly add sugar and blend for one additional minute. With blender still running, add nutmeg, brandy, rum, milk and cream until combined.

I wish I would have seen this a few weeks ago.
Holy Toledo!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26434 on: January 08, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
Today I had a dream Mike was trolling me IRL. I non-ironically hope he comes back with more things to complain about.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:08:12 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #26435 on: January 10, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »

2 large eggs
2 oz brandy
6 oz whole milk
4 oz heavy cream

I wish I would have seen this a few weeks ago.

It makes an excellent breakfast drink year-round.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #26436 on: January 10, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »
If Jimmy Fallon and Kim Jong-un were hanging off a cliff, and I could only save one of them, I would save Kim, even if he had Martin Shkreli hanging onto his back and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's heart medication in his pocket...and Fallon had the cures for AIDS and cancer.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #26437 on: January 10, 2017, 08:34:55 PM »
If Jimmy Fallon and Kim Jong-un were hanging off a cliff, and I could only save one of them, I would save Kim, even if he had Martin Shkreli hanging onto his back and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's heart medication in his pocket...and Fallon had the cures for AIDS and cancer.

Oh dear!  Why? Lol

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #26438 on: January 10, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »
God bless!

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26439 on: January 10, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »

He is loathsome, isn't he?
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: The Ancientist Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Patristic, Neptic, Hesychastic, Philoka-
« Reply #26440 on: January 10, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
What if John Oliver was hanging on to Kim's ankle?
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

"The human being is earth that suffers."
Letter of Barnabas 6.9

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26441 on: January 10, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »
He is loathsome, isn't he?

He's like the living avatar of herpes.

What if John Oliver was hanging on to Kim's ankle?

In addition to Shkreli, Oliver, and al-Baghdadi's meds, an undead Elizabeth Báthory could be hanging onto Kim's other ankle, sucking his toes while humming Die Fahne hoch and flipping me off and the lot of them would still get the ride up over Fallon.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #26442 on: January 14, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »
Went skiing today.  My shins, ankles, thighs, back, and triceps are smarting.  But at least I learned not to fall!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26443 on: January 14, 2017, 07:44:27 PM »

Oh dear!  Why? Lol

I'm just really, really not a fan of his work.  I haven't been since his SNL days.  I'm still dumbfounded as to how he made it big.  He's the worst comedian to come along since Dane Cook.  He's still better than Carlos Mencia or Jeff Dunham though.  I guess that's something!  ;D

Went skiing today.  My shins, ankles, thighs, back, and triceps are smarting.  But at least I learned not to fall!

You go, Mina!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #26444 on: January 14, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
Jimmy Fallon sucks. On the basis of this common confession I believe the EO and OO churches can finally unite.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #26445 on: January 14, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
I never found Fallon to be especially funny, but I also don't hate him. He is just rather vanilla. A rather forgettable fellow. I liked Conan O'Brien much better. Particularly at the end when he was fighting with the network and everyone was losing their minds.
God bless!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26446 on: January 15, 2017, 12:15:03 AM »
Jimmy Fallon sucks. On the basis of this common confession I believe the EO and OO churches can finally unite.

Amen.  Confirm us in oneness of mind, brotherly love, piety, and hatred of horrible comedy.

I never found Fallon to be especially funny, but I also don't hate him. He is just rather vanilla.

Vanilla's an actual flavor.  He's more like tofu.  Or cardboard.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #26447 on: January 15, 2017, 05:07:59 AM »
Random Wiki link of the day:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guji_Oromo_people

I had an excellent coffee originating from the region which the package's llabel named after "the excluded Guji tribe". Smells a bit like silly White construction but learnt something new because of that.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #26448 on: January 15, 2017, 05:38:49 PM »

I had an excellent coffee originating from the region which the package's llabel named after "the excluded Guji tribe". Smells a bit like silly White construction but learnt something new because of that.

Oromo people are nice.  Was part of a medical mission there last year.  Unfortunately this year we can't go due to political issues there between the government and the Oromo people.  It's a very sad situation, and it's causing a bit of a rift in Ethiopia where they seek independence now.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #26449 on: January 16, 2017, 02:50:17 PM »
A point to ponder about.  MLK died almost 50 years ago, and yet I am amazed at the different versions of descriptions of the man throughout different people that make him seem almost fictional.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26450 on: January 16, 2017, 11:13:36 PM »
>be ἐγώ
>see a IX/X chick by the walls of Constantinople
>decide to use the hookup line you heard from your bro Konstantinos
>"hey babe, art thou a Saracen?"
>"n-no, why?"
>"because thou shottest an arrow to mine heart"
>she looks at me like I'm some kind of Arian
>"my local hypatos was killed by the Sarracens"
>I get redder than the finest silk of Egypt
>I go home and sodomise my eunuch

Damn, I miss Old Rome.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26451 on: January 16, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
^The forum should've been down longer.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #26452 on: January 17, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »

Amen.  Confirm us in oneness of mind, brotherly love, piety, and hatred of horrible comedy.

I never found Fallon to be especially funny, but I also don't hate him. He is just rather vanilla.

I'm afraid that the first act of the council of reunion will have to anathemize everyone remotely involved with Universal Studios:
https://www.universalorlando.com/Rides/Universal-Studios-Florida/Race-Through-NY-Starring-Jimmy-Fallon.aspx
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #26453 on: January 17, 2017, 12:01:38 AM »
I was hoping it was under maintenance to fix some technical problems, like the notification settings. Oh well.
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26454 on: January 17, 2017, 01:37:00 AM »
I was hoping it was under maintenance to fix some technical problems, like the notification settings. Oh well.
What's up with the notification settings?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:37:17 AM by RaphaCam »

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #26455 on: January 17, 2017, 01:53:18 AM »
What's up with the notification settings?
You can no longer get email notifications of new replies, even if you are subscribed.
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #26456 on: January 17, 2017, 03:41:06 AM »

Oromo people are nice.  Was part of a medical mission there last year.  Unfortunately this year we can't go due to political issues there between the government and the Oromo people.  It's a very sad situation, and it's causing a bit of a rift in Ethiopia where they seek independence now.

They seeks independence? Who? Somalis in Oromo?

• Taxiarches
« Reply #26457 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:20 PM »

+1

What the heezy did I just read and how can I excoriate it from my mind?

I'm afraid that the first act of the council of reunion will have to anathemize everyone remotely involved with Universal Studios:
https://www.universalorlando.com/Rides/Universal-Studios-Florida/Race-Through-NY-Starring-Jimmy-Fallon.aspx

Let them be anathema!

They seeks independence? Who? Somalis in Oromo?

No, the actual Oromo people.  They've felt marginalized since...well, pretty much forever.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #26458 on: January 18, 2017, 11:39:54 PM »
A point to ponder about.  MLK died almost 50 years ago, and yet I am amazed at the different versions of descriptions of the man throughout different people that make him seem almost fictional.
Hagiographies do have that tendency.
God bless!

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #26459 on: January 19, 2017, 12:47:44 AM »
Oh so now you see where I'm coming from with the Gospels.  ;)
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.