Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5891626 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #26010 on: July 03, 2016, 04:44:38 PM »
Today we was in different city and there is one Church, there was little girl, and when the priest seen the girl he say are you baptized and she say no, then he say you cannot go forward in the church, this is the law.
He didn't let her enter the Church because she wasn't baptised? That's weird, I've heard about the non-baptised being actually led out of the nave after the dismissal of the catechumens but only that.

He said "forward in the church," not "enter the church," so I'm not convinced you have developed an accurate picture of what happened.
I did, my mistype though, I should have asked if he didn't let her enter the nave.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #26011 on: July 03, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
According to Tesla’s account of the crash, the car’s sensor system, against a bright spring sky, failed to distinguish a large white 18-wheel truck and trailer crossing the highway. ... The company’s statement deflected blame for the crash."Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles," the statement said.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #26012 on: July 04, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »
It seems I'll work on the Olympic Games as an OFA. That's short for "someone important and his family's handyman" (which can be in a wide range from the Prince of Monaco to some sports chairman from Central Africa). It'll certainly be fun, but maybe I shouldn't have told the committee that I speak German in my interview, since I'll definitely work with some German speaker because of that. I do know German, but I have few actual practice so being supposed to conversate in the language for three weeks straight is a pretty horrifying idea. They will turn me into a Bratwurst! I also told them I'm Orthodox, however, so there's a chance they put me with some Eastern European tycoon since they want us to work for similar people.

Well, I am very pessimistic about the Olympic Games, the situation of Brazil is quite chaotic and Rio de Janeiro is bankrupt and immersed in violence and crime. I don't have to many hopes for this country, a lot of people I know decided to leave, to Canada and USA or Australia. I hope one day Brazil desintegrate in a lot of countries in a peaceful way, the bureaucracy from Brasilia is a vicious cancer.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26013 on: July 04, 2016, 05:05:44 PM »
It seems I'll work on the Olympic Games as an OFA. That's short for "someone important and his family's handyman" (which can be in a wide range from the Prince of Monaco to some sports chairman from Central Africa). It'll certainly be fun, but maybe I shouldn't have told the committee that I speak German in my interview, since I'll definitely work with some German speaker because of that. I do know German, but I have few actual practice so being supposed to conversate in the language for three weeks straight is a pretty horrifying idea. They will turn me into a Bratwurst! I also told them I'm Orthodox, however, so there's a chance they put me with some Eastern European tycoon since they want us to work for similar people.

Well, I am very pessimistic about the Olympic Games, the situation of Brazil is quite chaotic and Rio de Janeiro is bankrupt and immersed in violence and crime. I don't have to many hopes for this country, a lot of people I know decided to leave, to Canada and USA or Australia. I hope one day Brazil desintegrate in a lot of countries in a peaceful way, the bureaucracy from Brasilia is a vicious cancer.
I agree.

Meanwhile, America commemorates the glorious 4th of July. The jubilant day when Will Smith saved us all from the aliens.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #26014 on: July 04, 2016, 05:21:01 PM »
Is your pet bird following the baseball season?

My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26015 on: July 04, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »

No, but I appreciate animals in hats.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #26016 on: July 04, 2016, 06:37:51 PM »
Yay! :)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #26017 on: July 04, 2016, 09:10:03 PM »

There are many Americans that feel the same way about the USA.  ;)
God bless!

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #26018 on: July 05, 2016, 07:14:17 AM »

There are many Americans that feel the same way about the USA.  ;)

It is because those americans don't live here.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #26019 on: July 05, 2016, 10:42:36 AM »

Awesome, what is your bird name?

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Philadelphia
« Reply #26020 on: July 05, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »

No, but I appreciate animals in hats.

That dog looks like he's ready to party hard!
This is something cute and innocent.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #26021 on: July 06, 2016, 04:15:03 AM »
Golden retrievers look always like that. Always ready to party.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Philadelphia
« Reply #26022 on: July 06, 2016, 09:27:39 AM »
Jeowbzhwicyskq
This is something cute and innocent.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26023 on: July 06, 2016, 09:36:32 AM »
Jeowbzhwicyskq
bskflLfmalpandboeppamxkpgjetfuelcantmeltsteelbeamshskfjakfnlspfnsl

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #26024 on: July 06, 2016, 12:11:58 PM »
Jeowbzhwicyskq

Olivia-

You have been warned very recently for spamming the forum. For this post and your gibberish in the Prayer Forum again I am issuing a warning of 35 points. If you wish to appeal this decision you may do so by PMing me.

-ZZ, Other Topics Mod
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #26025 on: July 06, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
I've been through Pennsylvania before on a trip and it is very pretty, from what I can remember. (it was several years ago)

Dear Olivia, I am confused. Your profile says:
Faith:
    Christian
Jurisdiction:
    Philadelphia

What Jurisdiction is Philadelphia that is not in Pennsylvania?

(Philadelphia, Mississippi?)
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #26026 on: July 06, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »

Awesome, what is your bird name?

I wish he were mine. He's just a cute birdee from the Interwebs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26027 on: July 06, 2016, 04:02:08 PM »
I've been through Pennsylvania before on a trip and it is very pretty, from what I can remember. (it was several years ago)

Faith:
    Christian
Jurisdiction:
    Philadelphia

The original and still the best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ala%C5%9Fehir "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts and no one opens, says this."

"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26028 on: July 06, 2016, 05:31:04 PM »

Faith:
    Christian
Jurisdiction:
    Philadelphia

The original and still the best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ala%C5%9Fehir "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: He who is holy, who is true, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, and who shuts and no one opens, says this."
It is the original. St. Paul was foreseeing the glory of America.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #26029 on: July 06, 2016, 07:20:12 PM »

Faith:
    Christian
Jurisdiction:
    Philadelphia

It is the original. St. Paul was foreseeing the glory of America.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #26030 on: July 09, 2016, 03:30:32 AM »
Yeah, so I just blew an entire Friday evening chasing down my g-g-grandfather's daughter's line, since I inherent X intact from father, just looking around and seeing what's going on. 

Probably nothing to do with me since my line appears to come through his son, but she innocently married a simple farm guy in 1875 over in Missouri, they had two children and died young.  Their young lady married, had a daughter who married into the Leach family.  The Leach family tied into the Dixon line through Jane Dixon, who handed off a full X chromosome to her son, and the Dixon's carried on back until about 1637 when Rose Ann Harlan came from Northern Ireland to the Americas. 

That's the Harlan family from England, who picked up the line from the Seamon's in 1620s through Deborah Seamon who passed an X to her son, back to the Langely family, who carried from the 16th century English Hungerford nobility, then the Heytesbury, the DeQuincy line, including Saher IV deQuincy 1st Earl of Winchester, Magna Charta Baron b. 1155

back to Lady Matilda Maud Huntington of Scotland who is the daughter of Waltheoff II Siwardson Earl Huntington, b. 1046, son of Ulf Thorgilsson
son of Thorgils Sprakaleg Styrjornsson, Styrbjorn the Strong King of Sweden Olafsson and Thyra Haraldsdottir of Denmark, from Harald I Herbastus Bluetooth Gormsson de Crepon King of Denmark. 

Styrbjorn is son of King Olaf II Mitkg Bjornsson, son of King Bjorn III of Sweden "the Old" Eriksson, son of Erik "King of Sweden" Edmundsson b. abt 849 in Uppsala Sweden

who presumably crawled out of the dirt somewhere? 

and what is with all the women folk going off to Y, Somme, Picardie, France to die?  Even after they became English nobility some of them were still going off to die there.

Seems like all the people so proud of their English heritage really come from either France or the Netherlands.

Anywhoo, happy to see my kid has at least double Revolutionary War lines, Civil War Union, WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Gulf War, and a woman survivor of the Salem witch trials.   

A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26031 on: July 09, 2016, 03:34:02 AM »
How fascinating.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26032 on: July 09, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »
That's awesome. My family researches have been unfortunately a bit inconclusive. There is my great-great-grandfather Francisco de Sá, born in the early 1880's and dead in the 1970's, there was his father whose name I don't recall but I have some documents belonging to him regarding his farm, and, well, my family among Francisco's descendants claimed to descend from the original Sá family who founded Rio de Janeiro. Well, it seems former governor of Rio de Janeiro, Salvador Correia de Sá (d. 1631), gave land in Volta Redonda (the city where my Sá ancestors were from) to one of his sons, whose name I forgot too. Browsing a genealogical site, I found out the Sá family who founded Rio descended from marriages with Portuguese nobility, making us all descendants from Afonso the Conqueror, first king of Portugal, who in turn descended from Fernando the Great, founder of Spanish monarchy, Hugh Capet, and, in turn, from Charlemagne!

Someday I may recover those documents and rediscover the missing links, let's see. :)

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #26033 on: July 09, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »
That's awesome. My family researches have been unfortunately a bit inconclusive. There is my great-great-grandfather Francisco de Sá, born in the early 1880's and dead in the 1970's, there was his father whose name I don't recall but I have some documents belonging to him regarding his farm, and, well, my family among Francisco's descendants claimed to descend from the original Sá family who founded Rio de Janeiro. Well, it seems former governor of Rio de Janeiro, Salvador Correia de Sá (d. 1631), gave land in Volta Redonda (the city where my Sá ancestors were from) to one of his sons, whose name I forgot too. Browsing a genealogical site, I found out the Sá family who founded Rio descended from marriages with Portuguese nobility, making us all descendants from Afonso the Conqueror, first king of Portugal, who in turn descended from Fernando the Great, founder of Spanish monarchy, Hugh Capet, and, in turn, from Charlemagne!

Someday I may recover those documents and rediscover the missing links, let's see. :)

Yes!  You should definitely develop and preserve all that, especially take care with primary documents.  It's only through people taking care that we have histories of families.   Here we have historical societies that will keep documents in perfect climate conditions for preservation.

I don't know if you have children, but this is something to pass on. 

Nowadays genealogy is so much easier with computers.  There are software programs for entering family trees.  I was steered toward one called Magic Roots which has a free level that can be upgraded.  That program can be uploaded into a GEDCOM for comparison with others' ancestry.

It's a little clunky, but not as difficult as some of the genetic analysis sites, like GEDMatch. 

A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Raylight

« Reply #26034 on: July 10, 2016, 03:42:52 PM »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #26035 on: July 11, 2016, 02:30:15 PM »
O Greeks!  You have thrown off the Turkish yoke!  You may commence using deodorant.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #26036 on: July 11, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
Just imagine the outcry that would result if Catholics or Orthodox were using this sort of entryist "stealth ecumenism" to reel in Protestant congregations (or each other's congregations)....

Hmm, actually, is there any historical precedent for doing this sort of thing? Not that I'd personally endorse underhanded tactics or anything.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #26037 on: July 11, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
Just imagine the outcry that would result if Catholics or Orthodox were using this sort of entryist "stealth ecumenism" to reel in Protestant congregations (or each other's congregations)....

Hmm, actually, is there any historical precedent for doing this sort of thing? Not that I'd personally endorse underhanded tactics or anything.

How do you decide what deserves its own thread and what should just be thrown into Random Postings or in some other thread?
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26038 on: July 11, 2016, 09:27:50 PM »
Ironic how "safe sex" in one sense expired with the generation that coined the term: In our grandfathers' or great-grandfathers' day, it was very unlikely someone could die from even the most licentious life; then came legalized abortions and AIDS, and many sexual choices became very unsafe, indeed, life-threatening.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #26039 on: July 11, 2016, 11:21:22 PM »
Ironic how "safe sex" in one sense expired with the generation that coined the term: In our grandfathers' or great-grandfathers' day, it was very unlikely someone could die from even the most licentious life; then came legalized abortions and AIDS, and many sexual choices became very unsafe, indeed, life-threatening.

Ever heard of syphilis, Porter? HPV? Hepatitis B or C?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:23:08 PM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #26040 on: July 11, 2016, 11:31:38 PM »

How do you decide what deserves its own thread and what should just be thrown into Random Postings or in some other thread?

I'd rather see you command a Moratorium on all posting for 40 days and 40 nights.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #26041 on: July 11, 2016, 11:31:49 PM »
What's the #1 rule of OC.net? Is it "Do not talk about 'Random Postings'"?
Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #26042 on: July 12, 2016, 12:23:40 AM »

I'd rather see you command a Moratorium on all posting for 40 days and 40 nights.

If only I had the power...I already have the glory.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #26043 on: July 12, 2016, 01:02:45 AM »
I'm all for a Lenten retreat where all oc.net posters (if possible, all humanity) are deprived of their computers and phones  :P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:03:09 AM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #26044 on: July 12, 2016, 07:39:51 PM »
I'm all for a Lenten retreat where all oc.net posters (if possible, all humanity) are deprived of their computers and phones  :P
I have been working on it. I've grown to hate the internet, yet I still am drawn to it.
God bless!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26045 on: July 14, 2016, 01:51:45 AM »
I'm so sad for something that I heard in work. Some intern was hitting his girlfriend inside the office. Instead of calling the police or simply banning him, they just changed his jurisdiction.  >:(

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #26046 on: July 15, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »
I'm so sad for something that I heard in work. Some intern was hitting his girlfriend inside the office. Instead of calling the police or simply banning him, they just changed his jurisdiction>:(
What does that mean?
God bless!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26047 on: July 15, 2016, 06:46:19 PM »
I'm so sad for something that I heard in work. Some intern was hitting his girlfriend inside the office. Instead of calling the police or simply banning him, they just changed his jurisdiction>:(
What does that mean?
New judge, new public defender, probably new prosecutor... not sure how this works in the US. He's still in the same floor of the same building though, which is quite frightening. I just don't get it, people have been arrested there for much less. People heard her screams and saw her hurt. Lord have mercy!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:48:04 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #26048 on: July 16, 2016, 10:52:53 PM »
Mor,

"DATTA PHUGE" I too was saddened at the news of his passing.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #26049 on: July 16, 2016, 10:57:07 PM »
Mor,

"DATTA PHUGE" I too was saddened at the news of his passing.

Please join us.

Online Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #26050 on: July 18, 2016, 10:03:26 PM »

Hmmm...underhanded tactics... :D
Maybe you could put out a sign where "BAPTIST CHURCH" is in really large letters and "St. John the" and "ROCOR" are in really tiny letters...though they would see the icons and walk straight back out. Darn. Guess you would have to make those really tiny too...and disguise the royal doors...and not use the usual vestments...

This won't work, will it? :(
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #26051 on: July 19, 2016, 07:57:11 AM »
HAHAHAHA!!!   ;D
God bless!

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #26052 on: July 21, 2016, 07:22:36 AM »

We have a carolingian in the forum, what a honor!

You are the carioca version of the 'quatrocentões' from São Paulo, wich I am descendant.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26053 on: July 21, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »

We have a carolingian in the forum, what a honor!

You are the carioca version of the 'quatrocentões' from São Paulo, wich I am descendant.
Cool! I think most people would find these awesome links if they had the tools though.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #26054 on: July 21, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
I am also descendant of bohemian germans, swiss germans, portuguese, spanish and danish jews from some part that belonged to Denmark but today is Germany.