Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5900149 times)

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #25740 on: April 10, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »
I want night coffee but I'm thinking that I'll regret it if I indulge.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #25741 on: April 11, 2016, 06:45:32 AM »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #25742 on: April 11, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »
So at my wife's church this Sunday, instead of giving a sermon, the pastor decided to brainstorm on how to increase member involvement and excitement in the church. Several of his suggestions were:
1. Encourage people to change their wills to leave 50k to the church (most of the church is elderly people, so it really sounded like a con-man trying to bilk little old people out of their money)
2. Install a zipline for him to use to get to the podium
3. Put up hip new art on the walls
4. Put up a big huge billboard style electronic sign out front
5. Not be afraid to jettison traditions (i.e. the traditional service which about 70% of the congregation attends) in favor of their new contemporary service called "The Journey".

My wife was furious. 
God bless!

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #25743 on: April 11, 2016, 10:28:44 AM »
Install a zipline for him to use to get to the podium
We should SO be doing this with the procession  ;D

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #25744 on: April 11, 2016, 10:30:51 AM »
So at my wife's church this Sunday, instead of giving a sermon, the pastor decided to brainstorm on how to increase member involvement and excitement in the church. Several of his suggestions were:
1. Encourage people to change their wills to leave 50k to the church (most of the church is elderly people, so it really sounded like a con-man trying to bilk little old people out of their money)
5. Not be afraid to jettison traditions (i.e. the traditional service which about 70% of the congregation attends) in favor of their new contemporary service called "The Journey".

My wife was furious.

Shall we pray that he keeps it up and she sees your church as a possible?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25745 on: April 11, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »

PP
He thought it was such a clever idea. I thought my wife was about to walk out. I was greatly amused, but had to be the sympathetic husband. At the end, he asked everyone who was willing to "embark on this new adventure" with him to stand up. About half the congregation stood. Then he asked the half that didn't to write on a piece of paper why they didn't want to join him and hand it to an usher on the way out. I've never seen anything like it before. Usually, Methodist churches are a pretty vanilla affair. Not yesterday, though...
God bless!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25746 on: April 11, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »

My wife was furious.

I would love for that to be the result.  :D
God bless!

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #25747 on: April 11, 2016, 10:49:39 AM »

My wife was furious.

Curious, what kind of church is this?
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #25748 on: April 11, 2016, 10:50:25 AM »

PP
He thought it was such a clever idea. I thought my wife was about to walk out. I was greatly amused, but had to be the sympathetic husband. At the end, he asked everyone who was willing to "embark on this new adventure" with him to stand up. About half the congregation stood. Then he asked the half that didn't to write on a piece of paper why they didn't want to join him and hand it to an usher on the way out. I've never seen anything like it before. Usually, Methodist churches are a pretty vanilla affair. Not yesterday, though...
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25749 on: April 11, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
United Methodist, although the pastor came to UM from Assemblies of God, I think. As you can probably guess, it hasn't been a great fit so far.
God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #25750 on: April 11, 2016, 11:16:17 AM »

Now that's genuinely weird.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25751 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »

Now that's genuinely weird.
Also, he is not a small man. Not at all.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #25752 on: April 11, 2016, 12:22:05 PM »

My wife was furious.

At least they accept the council of Chalcedon.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #25753 on: April 11, 2016, 02:03:13 PM »
Then he asked the half that didn't to write on a piece of paper why they didn't want to join him and hand it to an usher on the way out
What was this, kindergarten?

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25754 on: April 12, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »
The difference between saying "Muslim" and saying "Moslem."

Huh, I had no idea until now that there were different connotations (other than "Moslem" being a little more old fashioned). Apparently "Muselman" (the oldest form) comes from Persian via Turkish whereas "Muslim" is an attempt at a transliteration directly from the Arabic.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #25755 on: April 12, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »

Huh, I had no idea until now that there were different connotations (other than "Moslem" being a little more old fashioned). Apparently "Muselman" (the oldest form) comes from Persian via Turkish whereas "Muslim" is an attempt at a transliteration directly from the Arabic.

I asked my folks about the "mosslim" vs "mozlem" pronunciations.  There is no Arabic word "mozlem", but there is "muznib", which means one who does evil.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #25756 on: April 12, 2016, 04:57:01 PM »

My wife was furious.

Wowsers. I'm going to be really careful about sharing this with my husband, because I can see some of those ideas cropping up in the new youth service at his church...
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25757 on: April 12, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »

My wife was furious.

I would love for that to be the result.  :D

Has she ever come with you to Liturgy?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #25758 on: April 12, 2016, 06:07:21 PM »

I asked my folks about the "mosslim" vs "mozlem" pronunciations.  There is no Arabic word "mozlem", but there is "muznib", which means one who does evil.

So we should be referring to people like ISIS as Muznibs rather than Moslems?  I wouldn't want to use the wrong word.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Philadelphia
« Reply #25759 on: April 12, 2016, 06:45:46 PM »
It's hard to believe it's been a while since I last posted here. I remember the days when I couldn't stay away from here for more than three hours. I guess I've just been busier lately.
This is something cute and innocent.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25760 on: April 12, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »
It's hard to believe it's been a while since I last posted here. I remember the days when I couldn't stay away from here for more than three hours. I guess I've just been busier lately.

Is it because, as an employee of the CIA, you are busy tracking down terrorists?

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #25761 on: April 12, 2016, 09:59:57 PM »

So we should be referring to people like ISIS as Muznibs rather than Moslems?  I wouldn't want to use the wrong word.

LOL! sure...I think even some Muslims are doing so.  But there are others who still consider them "Muslims" but "extreme and misguided," especially Islamists.

I think the article though is stretching it.  There is no correct English equivalent of the Arabic word.  That's like me saying "those who spell their name Mena or Meena or Meina are bigots against the Mina's".  There is no correct "english" spelling.  You can't make the same comparison to the term "Colored" for black people because there is only one (well really two ways) to spell that word!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:00:15 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #25762 on: April 12, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
Moslem sounds like a mainstream dialect outcome, muslim being the Classical Arabic form. Pretty much the same thing as Muhammad x Mohammed, or Makkah vs. Mecca, although in these cases the "un-Classical" form prevailed and the Classical would be most probably what a moslem would write on his blog. Classical Arabic didn't even have e and o. Mina can correct me if I'm speaking garbage, my Arabic is really 101. :P
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:20:23 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #25763 on: April 12, 2016, 10:36:28 PM »
My Arabic is mid-201 level  :P

The only other word I find remotely close in Arabic is "muzloom", but that means "innocent".  I'm not sure anyone is insulted by that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:37:43 PM by minasoliman »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25764 on: April 12, 2016, 11:01:45 PM »
I thought you were a native.  ;D 

Classical Arabic doesn't have e and o, and it seems to be a mainstream Modern feature to turn short i and some a into e and short u into o. It was really a headache to look for the most proper way of pronouncing things when I used to studied Arabic, as I was some kind of perfectionist and no definitive answer would come up, for there are so many dialects and variations... Now I don't even bother to learn proper gender in other languages.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:15:05 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25765 on: April 13, 2016, 12:02:22 AM »
My cat keeps bringing home garter snakes. He doesn't hurt them; he just brings them onto the backporch and stares at them.  :o
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25766 on: April 13, 2016, 12:18:57 AM »
My cat keeps bringing home garter snakes. He doesn't hurt them; he just brings them onto the backporch and stares at them.  :o

That's funny.

At least he isn't leaving a dead baby rabbit on the porch like one of our cats did once.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25767 on: April 13, 2016, 12:19:24 AM »

LOL! sure...I think even some Muslims are doing so.  But there are others who still consider them "Muslims" but "extreme and misguided," especially Islamists.

I think the article though is stretching it.  There is no correct English equivalent of the Arabic word.  That's like me saying "those who spell their name Mena or Meena or Meina are bigots against the Mina's".  There is no correct "english" spelling.  You can't make the same comparison to the term "Colored" for black people because there is only one (well really two ways) to spell that word!

Thanks.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25768 on: April 13, 2016, 12:24:23 AM »

That's funny.

At least he isn't leaving a dead baby rabbit on the porch like one of our cats did once.

Luckily I'm not scared of snakes. With the first one, I gently poked it to try to get it to slither off my porch but it just reared its head and stared at me. I wasn't present for the snake gift tonight. I can't get the mental image of him dragging this snake through my yard out of my head. Where's he even finding them?!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:24:54 AM by Theophania »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #25769 on: April 13, 2016, 11:03:48 AM »

That's funny.

Luckily I'm not scared of snakes. With the first one, I gently poked it to try to get it to slither off my porch but it just reared its head and stared at me. I wasn't present for the snake gift tonight. I can't get the mental image of him dragging this snake through my yard out of my head. Where's he even finding them?!
My housemate boasts of how a cat he owned years ago once brought home a rattlesnake.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #25770 on: April 13, 2016, 03:31:09 PM »
When well respected actors like Robert de Niro encourages people to consider the anti-vax movement, my heart hardens just a little bit more at the possibility of intelligent people in Hollywood.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25771 on: April 13, 2016, 03:33:11 PM »
When well respected actors like Robert de Niro encourages people to consider the anti-vax movement, my heart hardens just a little bit more at the possibility of intelligent people in Hollywood.

"For the time has come for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?"

I Peter 4.17

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25772 on: April 13, 2016, 03:33:54 PM »

Fluoride causes heart hardening.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25773 on: April 13, 2016, 05:02:31 PM »

"For the time has come for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?"

I Peter 4.17

Are you saying that Hollywood is the household of God?

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #25774 on: April 13, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »
Context of the verse suggests otherwise

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25775 on: April 13, 2016, 05:21:34 PM »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #25776 on: April 13, 2016, 05:23:57 PM »
I am doomed not necessarily listening to him, but listening to the hundreds others who use him as authority.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25777 on: April 13, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »
I am doomed not necessarily listening to him, but listening to the hundreds others who use him as authority.

Don't you know that moms who Google are more educated than you doctors?

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #25778 on: April 13, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
Clearly :P

Offline Olivia

• Viva Christo Rey!
  • Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Philadelphia
« Reply #25779 on: April 13, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »

Is it because, as an employee of the CIA, you are busy tracking down terrorists?

Well, yeah. But I'm not supposed to talk about my job. It's classified information.
This is something cute and innocent.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25780 on: April 13, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
I wish you were one of the doctors I am forced to interact with at work, mina. You seem like a good egg.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25781 on: April 13, 2016, 05:46:21 PM »

Well, yeah. But I'm not supposed to talk about my job. It's classified information.

Change your avatar.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25782 on: April 13, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
Funny how people in the past few decades have been taking opinions from professional pretenders.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25783 on: April 13, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »

Well,then don't.
Why would I even want to know?
Just get back to work or give back the pay.
Idle curiosity is a waste
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25784 on: April 13, 2016, 06:53:56 PM »
Funny how people in the past few decades have been taking opinions from professional pretenders.

You would prefer amateurs?
 ;)
God is The Creator of All Free Beings