Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5884143 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #25695 on: April 03, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »
First day assisting a public defender probably led me to see much more weirdness than I had ever seen before in my whole life.

This sounds like an amazing job.

It's not bad, his other assistants are a bit overwhelmed, so my job is basically assisting them. I may manage to learn everything from the very beginning in that way.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #25696 on: April 04, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »
So a friend of mine called randomly yesterday and started discussing how he thinks Nestorius got a bum rap since he didn't get a chance to explain himself at the council, and maybe he had a good reason for promoting the term Christotokos. From what I understand, he is teaching a class on early Church History in his church.

Those crazy evangelicals!  ;D
God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #25697 on: April 04, 2016, 11:52:23 AM »
So a friend of mine called randomly yesterday and started discussing how he thinks Nestorius got a bum rap since he didn't get a chance to explain himself at the council, and maybe he had a good reason for promoting the term Christotokos. From what I understand, he is teaching a class on early Church History in his church.

Don't Evangelicals subscribe to Nestorianism?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25698 on: April 04, 2016, 12:01:21 PM »

Pretty much, but you seldom hear one knowing what Nestorianism is, so it was funny to hear someone trying to defend him explicitly.
God bless!

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #25699 on: April 04, 2016, 12:52:24 PM »

Pretty much, but you seldom hear one knowing what Nestorianism is, so it was funny to hear someone trying to defend him explicitly.

Yeah, if I asked any of the Protestants from my home church what their thoughts are on Nestorianism I'd probably get, "We need to evangelize them so they can become Christian. I don't think there's too many of them left, but I know Freddie Mercury was one."
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #25700 on: April 04, 2016, 01:02:39 PM »

Not officially and those I've seen in the past who know about it have called it a heresy. One could argue it's always been in their theology by implication and is just now coming out, though (like it is the theology of some more Reformed* commentators like RC Sproul).

*Depending on what definition of the notoriously hard to define word "Evangelical" Tris is using here is, Sproul is an Evangelical himself.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:04:11 PM by Volnutt »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #25701 on: April 04, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »

Do they?  I thought they at least accepted up to Chalcedon. 

;)
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25702 on: April 04, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »

Do they?  I thought they at least accepted up to Chalcedon. 

;)

I was already expecting this 

:laugh:

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25703 on: April 04, 2016, 01:31:34 PM »
I love you, Cyrillic, always.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #25704 on: April 04, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
Equally randomly, a friend of mine visited and did her usual jokey "wouldn't pray to a dead person" line, and instead of being quiet as I usually am, I asked her if she thought she was going to stop being interested in her loved ones if she goes to heaven. She stopped and said she'd not thought of it that way before. One of those rare moments I am glad I spoke rather than extracting my foot from my gob.
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25705 on: April 04, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
Equally randomly, a friend of mine visited and did her usual jokey "wouldn't pray to a dead person" line, and instead of being quiet as I usually am, I asked her if she thought she was going to stop being interested in her loved ones if she goes to heaven. She stopped and said she'd not thought of it that way before. One of those rare moments I am glad I spoke rather than extracting my foot from my gob.

:)

I really do believe that an inability to accept the veneration and intercession of the saints is ultimately due to a weak or defective belief in the resurrection. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25706 on: April 04, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »

I really do believe that an inability to accept the veneration and intercession of the saints is ultimately due to a weak or defective belief in the resurrection.
Possibly. It was a major obstacle for me. I think it had to do with my inability to understand how someone who dies and goes to heaven could hear my prayers from such a long distance away. I understood how God, being everywhere and all-knowing could hear a prayer, but couldn't figure out how saints could.
God bless!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25707 on: April 04, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »
Today I overheard a black guy at the court saying to his family: "I thought they would make us sit separately from the white folks, as they do in the US."
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25708 on: April 04, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »
Today I overheard a black guy at the court saying to his family: "I thought they would make us sit separately from the white folks, as they do in the US."
What? Give black people the right to due process?!?!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:22:09 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25709 on: April 04, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »

I'm surprised you actually called them people, you slave-trading nation!

:)  I really do believe that an inability to accept the veneration and intercession of the saints is ultimately due to a weak or defective belief in the resurrection.
Once two friends who are, say, moderate Evangelicals gave me a strange look when I spoke of the Second Coming and the resurrection of the dead. They actually thought this was a "scandalous urban preacher" thing.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:25:54 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25710 on: April 04, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »

I'm surprised you actually called them people, you slave-trading nation!

Ack!  The white-robed klansmen are at my doorstep to take me away for improper ideology!!!
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25711 on: April 04, 2016, 04:50:24 PM »
:)  I really do believe that an inability to accept the veneration and intercession of the saints is ultimately due to a weak or defective belief in the resurrection.
Once two friends who are, say, moderate Evangelicals gave me a strange look when I spoke of the Second Coming and the resurrection of the dead. They actually thought this was a "scandalous urban preacher" thing.

I'm not surprised in the least.  ISTM the average Evangelical associates "resurrection" merely with a post-death phenomenon which Jesus experienced at a certain point in time and maybe with some biblical miracles, but otherwise entirely dismisses or ignores the biblical teaching on resurrection.  Really, they're rather like modern Sadducees. 

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25712 on: April 04, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »

Possibly. It was a major obstacle for me. I think it had to do with my inability to understand how someone who dies and goes to heaven could hear my prayers from such a long distance away. I understood how God, being everywhere and all-knowing could hear a prayer, but couldn't figure out how saints could.

Yeah, I've had Evangelical friends bring that objection out on me too.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #25713 on: April 04, 2016, 07:09:31 PM »

Wouldn't the answer be theosis? I. e., saints can hear our prayers because God can, and they are united with Him via theosis. As opposed to saints hearing our prayers somehow apart from God, or via their own human abilities.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #25714 on: April 04, 2016, 09:03:29 PM »
Those are all ad hoc and post factum  explanations. As good as any , but the context in which the cult of the saints was born had nothing to do with an elaborate theology of the resurrection or theosis.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:05:23 PM by augustin717 »
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25715 on: April 04, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »
Those are all ad hoc and post factum  explanations. As good as any , but the context in which the cult of the saints was born had nothing to do with an elaborate theology of the resurrection or theosis.

What did it have to do with?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25716 on: April 04, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
You're basically implying that Christ and the apostles didn't teach theosis, when they rather didn't speak of notions such as "theosis", "uncreated energies" or "ontological communion". Christ probably never named the Aramaic counterpart of metousiosis, but 1st-century Christians clearly knew that the sacred species were the Lord's literal body and blood, although they looked, smelt and tasted like bread and wine.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25717 on: April 04, 2016, 09:25:53 PM »

I know and I'm fine with that, honestly. I would argue that God uses our human frailties to do all sorts of things.

Wouldn't the answer be theosis? I. e., saints can hear our prayers because God can, and they are united with Him via theosis. As opposed to saints hearing our prayers somehow apart from God, or via their own human abilities.

Pretty much. The Holy Spirit relaying the messages to them. It may also have something to do with being with God, who is outside time as we know it.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25718 on: April 04, 2016, 09:32:22 PM »
You're basically implying that Christ and the apostles didn't teach theosis, when they rather didn't speak of notions such as "theosis", "uncreated energies" or "ontological communion". Christ probably never named the Aramaic counterpart of metousiosis, but 1st-century Christians clearly knew that the sacred species were the Lord's literal body and blood, although they looked, smelt and tasted like bread and wine.

No, he's saying that the cult of Saints and martyrs came about as a development of the Roman refrigerium (and as a Christianizing of the pagan notion of patron deities). Ideas that it can be traced to theosis are all after the fact reasoning, though this does not necessarily make them false.

Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. I don't think it's a big deal either way.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25719 on: April 04, 2016, 09:48:45 PM »

No, he's saying that the cult of Saints and martyrs came about as a development of the Roman refrigerium (and as a Christianizing of the pagan notion of patron deities). Ideas that it can be traced to theosis are all after the fact reasoning, though this does not necessarily make them false.

You know a lot about what people are saying before they say it.  Do you guys plan this or something?

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25720 on: April 04, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »
I think I've decided on a local Mexican restaurant for my birthday dinner next week. Mmmmm camarones.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline byhisgrace

• AOCB
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Memory Eternal to my Younger Brother
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #25721 on: April 04, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »

If the refrigerium development theory is true, then wouldn't that lend more water to the Evangelical argument that the "visible" church hierarchs have compromised the true faith by making up the Veneration of Saints practice to make Christianity more accommodating to pagan converts?

Oh Holy Apostle, St. John, pray for us

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25722 on: April 04, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »

You know a lot about what people are saying before they say it.  Do you guys plan this or something?

No, just an educated guess.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25723 on: April 04, 2016, 11:15:55 PM »

If the refrigerium development theory is true, then wouldn't that lend more water to the Evangelical argument that the "visible" church hierarchs have compromised the true faith by making up the Veneration of Saints practice to make Christianity more accommodating to pagan converts?

Maybe.

Either way, I don't believe in going "back to the New Testament Church." Whatever "pure" first century theology that one might postulate the existence of, the fact remains that there's a Providential reason why it didn't last (unless some form of Landmarkism is true). Either the evolution of tradition into the forms that we have today was guided by God or Christianity is DOA.

Now, that doesn't necessarily prove that the true tradition is one that includes veneration of the Saints. There might still be other reasons to think that the Reformation and the subsequent development of one or more modern Evangelicalisms were God ordained processes (though I'm pretty skeptical). But such reasons would have to exist independently of some kind of "Great Apostasy" argument.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #25724 on: April 04, 2016, 11:52:55 PM »
Volnutt made a good guess.
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline Eruvande

• High Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
  • Jurisdiction: Worcestershire
« Reply #25725 on: April 06, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »
I discovered today that i have the ability to say 'ok' to my husband going out for a church meeting and mean it heartily, but simultaneously be a bit of a grouchy so and so about it. Need to work on that attitude and the speaking out of both sides of my mouth. Also called death by "Sarcasm? What sarcasm?"
Clumsily walking a narrow path and getting most of it wrong, but I'm still walking...

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25726 on: April 07, 2016, 10:26:43 PM »
Was just thinking earlier how it was a year ago that I was coming home from my pilgrimage to Ohio, aka the home of ZealousZeal. This was before she was a big deal mod on OCnet. I feel like I can brag about knowing her "way back when." I hope she appreciates the turbulence I endured on my flight back home. I'm still upset.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #25727 on: April 07, 2016, 10:32:18 PM »
Was just thinking earlier how it was a year ago that I was coming home from my pilgrimage to Ohio, aka the home of ZealousZeal. This was before she was a big deal mod on OCnet. I feel like I can brag about knowing her "way back when." I hope she appreciates the turbulence I endured on my flight back home. I'm still upset.

You didn't post in the right place.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25728 on: April 07, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »

You didn't post in the right place.

I gave her my condolences privately.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #25729 on: April 08, 2016, 10:57:12 AM »

I visited Ohio before I even knew of ZZ.
My other bestest buddy was born in Ohio before ZZ was even born.
I listened to DEVO before Kasich was even winning the primary in Ohio.
Try harder.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25730 on: April 08, 2016, 11:58:18 AM »
I have to work midnight to 9 am today (well, technically tomorrow). I'm already feeling low and the anticipation of that ungodly shift is not helping matters.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #25731 on: April 08, 2016, 11:59:42 AM »
if God is everywhere and beyond time......then is there such a thing as an Ungodly time of day, or an UnGodly shift?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25732 on: April 08, 2016, 12:01:54 PM »
if God is everywhere and beyond time......then is there such a thing as an Ungodly time of day, or an UnGodly shift?

Yes, and it's the graveyard shift.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #25733 on: April 08, 2016, 03:46:23 PM »

Yep. I work 4pm-midnight. Years ago, I worked 10pm-6am. It's loopy. I have to take extra vitamin D because I don't get sun.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25734 on: April 08, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
I have to work midnight to 9 am today

Doesn't that violate a human right or two?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #25735 on: April 08, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

only Europe has those
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #25736 on: April 08, 2016, 04:22:02 PM »

Yep. I work 4pm-midnight. Years ago, I worked 10pm-6am. It's loopy. I have to take extra vitamin D because I don't get sun.
The way I think about it, you're working 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. relative to somewhere in the world. :D
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25737 on: April 08, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »

My employer doesn't acknowledge such "rights"

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #25738 on: April 08, 2016, 06:20:59 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

only Europe has those

And we still got to be the largest economy in the World.  8)
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25739 on: April 09, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »
I survived my shift. Now to wait for that sweet overtime.