Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5542935 times)

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #25470 on: February 07, 2016, 05:17:12 PM »
What was Jake from State Farm wearing?

You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #25471 on: February 08, 2016, 12:21:27 PM »

The guy in the middle looks like he is wearing a Leutnant's insignia.  Non-white officer...

When Nazi Germany is more racially inclusive than you...you might be the British Empire.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #25472 on: February 08, 2016, 12:26:39 PM »

The guy in the middle looks like he is wearing a Leutnant's insignia.  Non-white officer...

When Nazi Germany is more racially inclusive than you...you might be the British Empire.

And yet, Gurkhas only earned full settlement rights in the UK in 2008. Must have been the pressure of other wild-eyed brown people from God knows where.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25473 on: February 08, 2016, 12:34:03 PM »

One of my cousins married a woman he met in Belgium at the end of WWII.  She lived through German, British, and American occupations.  My father asked her who were the 'best' and the 'worst.'  She said the Americans were best because they actually paid for things.  The worst, however, were the British.

"They treated us like Indians," she said.  Strict military rule, harsh treatment, little compassion for hungry people (the Germans took the food with them when they left).  She said the people actually wanted the Germans to come back after just one week with the British.

She put the Germans in between: very harsh with lots of executions in the beginning, followed by light-hearted drinking and carousing (I guess during the part of the war when they were winning).

I doubt she would have had the same sentiments if she were Jewish.

Online ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #25474 on: February 10, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »
So much snow. :(
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #25475 on: February 10, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #25476 on: February 10, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
So much snow. :(

We got our sky feces last week.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Online ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25477 on: February 10, 2016, 01:31:23 PM »
Last week we had a day in the 60's, and it ruined me for winter. I'm done now, nature.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #25478 on: February 10, 2016, 04:15:43 PM »
Last week we had a day in the 60's, and it ruined me for winter. I'm done now, nature.

Same where I'm at. I almost didn't make it through the first turn off the street I live on going to school this morning.
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #25479 on: February 11, 2016, 09:12:03 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25480 on: February 12, 2016, 01:25:49 PM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:26:17 PM by Asteriktos »
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25481 on: February 12, 2016, 01:34:24 PM »
Father Giryus (a.f.a. Fr. Mom)

Father Giryus  (and occasional cyber-mother)

;D

Trust me, I have the digital stretch-marks to prove it...     :o

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #25482 on: February 12, 2016, 09:10:03 PM »
Is it Valentine's Day and you're all alone? Then go to Dairy Queen and drown your sorrows in a new Singles Blizzard!
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25483 on: February 13, 2016, 01:11:51 AM »
"...a meeting one thousand years in the making

Pope Francis met with Patriarch Kirill of the Eastern Orthodox Church

the first meeting between the leaders of Christianity's two largest Churches

since 1054

when a schism split the ancient church

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #25484 on: February 13, 2016, 07:51:48 PM »
I am going to give up coffee cold turkey starting next week. With how picky women are nowadays to the extent that overconfident 6s demand perfect 8s and 9s, I need to have every possible benefit in my favor. If I give up coffee now, then I can at least salvage my teeth and probably get them professionally whitened.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #25485 on: February 13, 2016, 08:10:16 PM »
Cow pats are used in some religious observances, apparently.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #25486 on: February 13, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »
I am going to give up coffee cold turkey starting next week. With how picky women are nowadays to the extent that overconfident 6s demand perfect 8s and 9s, I need to have every possible benefit in my favor. If I give up coffee now, then I can at least salvage my teeth and probably get them professionally whitened.

If you give up coffee, you are a saint.  It's the most common drug of abuse, and I am unable to give it up.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:19:11 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
« Reply #25487 on: February 13, 2016, 09:30:50 PM »
Not worth giving up the coffee. As someone that considered teeth whitening once, its not worth it. Just get your teeth clean and make a habit of taking care of them.

Two years ago was my first dentist visit since I was 18, after the first cleaning was noticeable then when I made a routine of flossing/brushing with an electric toothbrush...yeah it was a hell of a difference.

Unfortunately my genetics have blessed me with yellow teeth anyway, so I'll never get a brilliant white but that doesn't bother me, I'm happy with the shade I got now.

Besides as Punch already told you, learn to smile not show your teeth.

Edit: please don't be one those that drink coffee from a straw to preserve your pearly whites.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:35:42 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #25488 on: February 13, 2016, 09:53:31 PM »
Not worth giving up the coffee. As someone that considered teeth whitening once, its not worth it. Just get your teeth clean and make a habit of taking care of them.

Two years ago was my first dentist visit since I was 18, after the first cleaning was noticeable then when I made a routine of flossing/brushing with an electric toothbrush...yeah it was a hell of a difference.

Unfortunately my genetics have blessed me with yellow teeth anyway, so I'll never get a brilliant white but that doesn't bother me, I'm happy with the shade I got now.

Edit: please don't be one those that drink coffee from a straw to preserve your pearly whites.

You know, I just feel like I have to preserve what very little assets I have if I want to stand a chance in the dating world. If I were taller and/or wealthier, then I could afford to let yellow teeth slide. But as it is, teeth could be the only leverage I have since it is the one thing under my control. I am not looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms next week.

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #25489 on: February 13, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »

If you give up coffee, you are a saint.  It's the most common drug of abuse, and I am unable to give it up.

It's just beyond me why some people get hooked on coffee or alcohol.
Tried to make those an habit, and they never became one.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #25490 on: February 13, 2016, 10:46:17 PM »
You? Dating? I thought you'd sworn off relationships.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #25491 on: February 14, 2016, 12:59:01 AM »

You know, I just feel like I have to preserve what very little assets I have if I want to stand a chance in the dating world. If I were taller and/or wealthier, then I could afford to let yellow teeth slide. But as it is, teeth could be the only leverage I have since it is the one thing under my control. I am not looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms next week.

The issue might not be the teeth, but the words and sentiments that come from in between them.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #25492 on: February 14, 2016, 02:20:04 AM »

It's just beyond me why some people get hooked on coffee or alcohol.
Tried to make those an habit, and they never became one.

You didn't try hard enough.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #25493 on: February 14, 2016, 10:03:12 AM »

What kind of coffee you usually have? I've never really consider why people consider coffee addictive. I think it's more like a habit than an addiction. All habits die hard but I've never got a headache or anything for not having coffee. I guess it's due to caffeine having different effect on different people.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #25494 on: February 14, 2016, 04:56:55 PM »

What kind of coffee you usually have? I've never really consider why people consider coffee addictive. I think it's more like a habit than an addiction. All habits die hard but I've never got a headache or anything for not having coffee. I guess it's due to caffeine having different effect on different people.
For me, I'm unable to be active in work or reading without caffeine.  And if I go a day without it (even after a good night's sleep), I have a terrible headache
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:57:24 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
« Reply #25495 on: February 14, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »
JamesR don't listen to these Debbie downers.

I agree that you should up your "worth" in the eyes of other women. In terms of looks, well I don't think teeth whitening is going to be a magnet to attracting good looking girls.

Hit the gym, bulk up. Once you start putting on muscles that's going to boost your self confidence more than anything else. It might take a year or less. Oh and cut all's sugars, no sweets or sodas. Cut back on consuming bread, stick with meat and veggies.

Then get some form fitting clothing to go with your new physique. Ditch anything baggy, slimmer clothes will show off your hard work at the gym.

Also focus on good body hygiene habits and personal grooming.

You do all of the above, you'll be catching glances from girls easily. Seriously you'll catch every girl you pass by staring at you. Sure looking like a model or having a strong jawline is out of your hands but there's still some control you have attracting the opposite sex.

I'll be in your shoes in a couple of months. I'm getting out of a relationship and I've looked like garbage for the past two years, but I remember when I was younger, when I was a lot more vain about my appearance, getting attention from girls was easy (and I have some regrets not taking up opportunities). When you start feeling good about what you look like that's going to go towards improving your self worth and your confidence in dating girls. I don't plan on dating until I start taking care of myself again.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25496 on: February 16, 2016, 12:31:37 AM »
Who is this Kanye West fellow, and why is every post on social media currently about him?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #25497 on: February 16, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
Who is this Kanye West fellow, and why is every post on social media currently about him?
He seems to be some song-and-dance man, but I too am puzzled about the frenzy in which my facebook as exploded about him.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:57:55 AM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25498 on: February 16, 2016, 10:51:29 AM »
Will his kid is Orthodox......
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #25499 on: February 17, 2016, 03:48:30 AM »
Guess what? This year, Pascha falls on my birthday! May 1! Oh yeah, I get twice as much candy!  ;D
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #25500 on: February 17, 2016, 01:03:21 PM »
Guess what? This year, Pascha falls on my birthday! May 1! Oh yeah, I get twice as much candy!  ;D
I have to wait until 2051 - my 99th birthday! And yes, you're all invited  :).

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #25501 on: February 17, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »
I have to wait until 2051 - my 99th birthday! And yes, you're all invited  :).

It can never fall on mine. The latest day possible is the one right before, and it has already fallen on it (twice, if memory serves).

Edit: Once already, and once in the near future. Ah well.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:17:53 PM by Arachne »

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #25502 on: February 17, 2016, 01:29:47 PM »
The Nativity of the Theotokos lands on my birthday every year!

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25503 on: February 17, 2016, 05:10:15 PM »
The next time Easter falls on my birthday will be 2031, which also happens to be a year that the Orthodox and Catholics commemorate it on the same day.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25504 on: February 17, 2016, 05:25:27 PM »
The next time Easter falls on my birthday will be 2031, which also happens to be a year that the Orthodox and Catholics commemorate it on the same day.
And the stars all align...  :P
God bless!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #25505 on: February 17, 2016, 05:29:39 PM »
Apparently an OCA delegation is coming to Finland. IIRC something similar was attempted a few decades ago but the EP intervened so it couldn't be done.

http://ort.fi/uutiset/ocan-delegaatio-vierailee-suomessa-222-13 (In Finnish)

I can't help feeling a bit amused over the fact that our church's site got the preposition wrong. "Orthodox Church of America" has slightly different connotations to "Orthodox Church in America". Also, according to the site OCA is "independent" (itsenäinen). Not sure if that fits to the official EP partyline either.  8)

Politics aside, that sounds nice. Good to see hierarchs from the other side of the bond here.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:37:20 PM by Alpo »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25506 on: February 17, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »
My leg joints are all creaky. Is there a way to prevent this other than the obvious of exercise? I try to avoid that whenever possible.
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25507 on: February 17, 2016, 05:53:59 PM »
My leg joints are all creaky. Is there a way to prevent this other than the obvious of exercise? I try to avoid that whenever possible.

find a way to reverse aging and you will be golden....;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25508 on: February 17, 2016, 05:56:39 PM »

find a way to reverse aging and you will be golden....;)
I'm open to suggestions on that.
God bless!

Online Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #25509 on: February 17, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »

If your leg causes you to creak, cut it off.  It is better to practice hesychasm with one leg than with two legs, one noisy, to abandon silence and the prayer.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25510 on: February 17, 2016, 06:06:52 PM »
If your leg causes you to creak, cut it off.  It is better to practice hesychasm with one leg than with two legs, one noisy, to abandon silence and the prayer.
Imma haf ta sig dat
God bless!

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25511 on: February 17, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
Many people recommend fish oil. Like most supplements (including multi-vitamins) I don't think they actually work, but I guess it's possible that they do, and if you ignore this second statement and take them maybe you'll get some kind of placebo thing going on or something.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #25512 on: February 17, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »
Many people recommend fish oil. Like most supplements (including multi-vitamins) I don't think they actually work, but I guess it's possible that they do, and if you ignore this second statement and take them maybe you'll get some kind of placebo thing going on or something.

My HDLs are 75 after long term use of omega.  Plus I eat fish at least once a week
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:41:32 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #25513 on: February 17, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »

A cod liver oil and glucosamine supplement can help (from experience), but keeping warm and working the joints without overextending them is really necessary.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #25514 on: February 17, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »
So apparently there's a big dustup going on involving Doug Wilson and Rachel Held Evans. The Wartburg Watch had an article about it. And it included this choice quote from Dougie himself.

Yeah, I know it's not Saturday night yet....