Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5898371 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #25245 on: January 07, 2016, 05:57:11 PM »
That's not Freudianism and it's not meant as an academic exercise. And you are the one that will have to fill in the gaps; that is part of living our lives.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #25246 on: January 07, 2016, 07:08:49 PM »
That's not Freudianism and it's not meant as an academic exercise. And you are the one that will have to fill in the gaps; that is part of living our lives.

Ur post is a joke. Three people who know me as well as anyone post here. If you had struck anywhere near pay dirt I would've given you at least partial remuneration.

And it's Freudian for you. You clearly have shown no more than a passing acquaintance with any understanding of the psyche.

Gave you an open door and nothing, sorta disappointing.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:09:22 PM by orthonorm »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #25247 on: January 08, 2016, 02:50:41 AM »
:( Stopped at 2 stores tonight after Vigil, neither had any eggnog left. I was initially surprised when it was still available this late, but I have gotten at this time the past few years. It seems they start selling it in the middle of November before Thanksgiving. Now I'll have to think of something else to do with the spiced rum tomorrow, ... perhaps flip.

This is the last eggnog recipe you will ever need, so please don't ever bother with store bought eggnog again.

Thank you, delicious. I used all spiced rum rather than the rum/brandy mix it called for, quite easy too. Christ is born!

Glorify Him!  :)

You're welcome.  I've done that too, when I had no brandy (I typically use inexpensive E&J VSOP or XO - tasty for mixing).  I was using Cruzan spiced rum (another inexpensive and tasty option for mixing), but I recently got a bottle of Sailor Jerry and, wow, it's good; nice to even sip on its own.  I like to add a bit of ground cinnamon and ground cloves into the blender for more of that Christmas spice that floods my brain with fond memories.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #25248 on: January 08, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
Cheetos and Mt Dew in honor of Volnutt.

Jalepeno Cheetos  >>>>>>>
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 11:24:50 AM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #25249 on: January 09, 2016, 12:45:56 AM »
RIP Pierre Boulez and Gilbert Kaplan. The old baton guard is almost all gone.

I own quite a few CD's conducted by Boulez.

He once mistakenly called Paul Simon "Al" at a party, and the rest was history.

Since I was a child, that song has made me a bit sad. If you can figure out why, I'll write you a check for $2000, for saving me decades of therapy.

This is the last mystery of life.

Thank you.

This is how I feel about "Saturday in the Park" by Chicago. Why?!
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #25250 on: January 09, 2016, 12:53:29 AM »

I hate Mt. Dew till I  drink 80 ounces or so within a few days then I can't live without it.

Cheetos are garbage.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #25251 on: January 09, 2016, 01:03:42 AM »
RIP Pierre Boulez and Gilbert Kaplan. The old baton guard is almost all gone.

I own quite a few CD's conducted by Boulez.

He once mistakenly called Paul Simon "Al" at a party, and the rest was history.

Since I was a child, that song has made me a bit sad. If you can figure out why, I'll write you a check for $2000, for saving me decades of therapy.

This is the last mystery of life.

Thank you.

This is how I feel about "Saturday in the Park" by Chicago. Why?!

There are several songs that make me feel that way. Most of them are either late-90s/early2000s pop songs that remind me of when I was growing up, or older songs that remind me of someone in particular.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #25252 on: January 09, 2016, 07:47:41 AM »
Experiment: A man appears on our television urging us not to worry and to be happy.
Result: We smile and become happy.
Conclusion: Television song video productions with a positive and upbeat message makes us positive and upbeat. More research in this area of study is needed.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #25253 on: January 09, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »

I hate Mt. Dew till I  drink 80 ounces or so within a few days then I can't live without it.

Cheetos are garbage.

You gave me a sad :(

I actually like saying the word "Cheetos" more than I do eating them I think, though.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #25254 on: January 09, 2016, 12:27:29 PM »

Have you considered calling the domestic violence hotline?  :P
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #25255 on: January 09, 2016, 02:41:47 PM »

Cheetos are garbage.

I actually like saying the word "Cheetos" more than I do eating them I think, though.

The crunchy ones are alright, but no way I am eating cheese puff when I can have a Dorito.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #25256 on: January 09, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »

Jalepeno Cheetos, they are so yummy, even better than flamin hot w/lime Cheetos. Jalepeno Cheetos aren't that hot either.

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #25257 on: January 09, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
I had Carl jr after visiting Grandma yesterday, since I'm not offically Orthodox yet meat is ok for me. There a deal right now for the Big Carl w/ fries, and a large drink for     $5.50, I also subsituted the fries with fried Zuchinnisw/ Ranch. Carl Jr beats McDonalds, Burger King, and edges out Jack In The Box for best fast food.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #25258 on: January 09, 2016, 03:54:39 PM »
The crunchy ones are alright, but no way I am eating cheese puff when I can have a Dorito.
Ah another thing, all Doritos flavors except the original are terrible. Yep that includes Cooler Ranch, despise it.

If I can get a Dorito that can taste like the Cheetos Jalepeno flavor, win win.

OH and round cheese puffs in general are trash.

But this right here:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:55:14 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #25259 on: January 09, 2016, 04:01:37 PM »
I had Carl jr after visiting Grandma yesterday, since I'm not offically Orthodox yet meat is ok for me. There a deal right now for the Big Carl w/ fries, and a large drink for     $5.50, I also subsituted the fries with fried Zuchinnisw/ Ranch. Carl Jr beats McDonalds, Burger King, and edges out Jack In The Box for best fast food.

Carl Jr had a Capn Crunch Milkshake was like the fire from olympus, but they got rid of it, as always the case whenever something incredible comes out.

Jack in Box sucks, BK sucks, and McDonalds is McDonalds.

Fast food burger wise, just make it at home. Takes only a couple of minutes, I like em smashed on the cast iron using a heavy gauge spatula. But getting a good hamburger starts before you even cook it. If you want to get really serious you need a meat grinder and know how to get good meat. Make my own homemade fry sauce as well. If I buy a grill this summer that's what I'll probably use, I like the flavor a little better.

The problem with these higher end burger places that make you spend $9+ for a 4oz always miss the mark, it's either too undercooked and charred on the outside, too much seasoning mixed in with the meat during prep, cooks inability to distinguish what a medium rare patty is supposed to look like, etc. Yeah if you are going to charge me some serious change you better bring your A game.

What can I say, I grew up in the burger mecca of America. We had burger places for days, literally any kind of burger you can imagine, we had a restaurant for it. Your two choices where I lived were chain restaurants (Applebees, Olive Garden, etc) and burger places (varies and by $$$$). I still don't know why burgers were so crazy popular in the "healthiest" state in the country.

And people who put a salad on their patty, please GTHO. Trying to disguise a crappy patty, no thanks.

Although I like the oddball-this-should-give-me-an-instant-heart-attack burger. Imagine the triple bypass burger, but you had grilled cheese, little bit of a donut, mayo, extra cheese, bacon, a special ketchup sauce. Man out of this world, half of that must have been 5000 calories.

Some days I just want a greasy cheeseburger that I don't care how its prepared, some days I just want McDonalds.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:21:59 PM by nothing »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25260 on: January 10, 2016, 02:54:37 AM »
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #25261 on: January 10, 2016, 04:02:45 AM »
I had a Krispy Kreme bacon cheeseburger.  It was delicious, but I will never do it again.  Maybe.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Raylight

« Reply #25262 on: January 10, 2016, 04:17:30 AM »
So, what do you guys think about what happened in Germany on the New Year's Eve? As a Middle Eastern man, that makes me embarrassed but it would be wrong to generalize and kick all the refugees. Those who committed the crimes should be deported for sure.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:19:42 AM by Raylight »

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #25263 on: January 10, 2016, 10:24:15 AM »
Ah another thing, all Doritos flavors except the original are terrible. Yep that includes Cooler Ranch, despise it.

If I can get a Dorito that can taste like the Cheetos Jalepeno flavor, win win.

OH and round cheese puffs in general are trash.

But this right here:

When these were still made, there was no competition:

“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25264 on: January 10, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »

Cheetos are garbage.

Oh, yeah. I don't even consider the puffy ones to be actual Cheetos. It's like comparing Gnosticism with Christianity.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25265 on: January 10, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »

Some days I just want a greasy cheeseburger that I don't care how its prepared, some days I just want McDonalds.

You should write ad copy.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #25266 on: January 10, 2016, 11:35:08 AM »
Apparently there'll be a Liturgy by the Antiochians in my home town at the end of the month. There isn't even an Antiochian parish in the entire country. I guess there had to be an upside to the refugee crisis. It'd be nice if the Antiochians sticked around.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:36:10 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #25267 on: January 11, 2016, 02:11:00 AM »
That recent video of the guy who dies when the Russian doctor punches him in the neck/head is disturbing.

Raylight

« Reply #25268 on: January 11, 2016, 02:15:47 AM »
That recent video of the guy who dies when the Russian doctor punches him in the neck/head is disturbing.

I heard about the story on the news. Very disturbing but not surprising, after all it is Russia. He wanted to play tough and punched the guy because of the super sensitive "lady". Hope now he enjoys his time in jail.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:21:10 AM by Raylight »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #25269 on: January 11, 2016, 02:55:24 AM »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #25270 on: January 11, 2016, 03:08:38 AM »
Peter Popoff is his spiritual father.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25271 on: January 12, 2016, 09:03:52 PM »
Who is that Peter Popoff you mention?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #25274 on: January 13, 2016, 12:00:01 AM »
Berry flavored Thera-flu (Lemsip for the Brits in the house) is much more drinkable than the honey lemon stuff

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #25275 on: January 13, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »
FB is advertizing me a fairly good offer of digital edition of New York Times. It seemed like a good newspaper when I read one issue few months ago. A bit tempted try it for some time.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #25276 on: January 13, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »
FB is advertizing me a fairly good offer of digital edition of New York Times. It seemed like a good newspaper when I read one issue few months ago. A bit tempted try it for some time.
People pay to read the news? I would pay to keep it away from me.
God bless!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #25277 on: January 13, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »

I like proper journalism and gladly pay for it. It's the online clickbaits that bother me.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #25278 on: January 13, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »

I like proper journalism and gladly pay for it. It's the online clickbaits that bother me.

I dunno, I agree on wanting actual news, but I am more and more suspicious of even respectable (or at least old school media) names. A lot of the clickbait stuff I get advertised as news or informational things are from places like the Forbes or Wall Street Journal sites (I forget which ones are the offenders offhand). But then you get to the site and find that the 1000 word story is broken up into 5 pages, or has 12 ads (including 2 video ones) all over each page, or is actually a series of 12 pictures with captions that you have to go through to read the story. oc.net is my trusted news source! None of that useless stuff here, and that's a fact!  8)  :o

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25279 on: January 13, 2016, 05:19:33 PM »

I encounter that so infrequently, that I don't recall what it looks like.
God bless!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #25280 on: January 13, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »

Back in the good old days when reporters worked hard and dug deep:

:P

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25281 on: January 13, 2016, 05:26:59 PM »

Back in the good old days when reporters worked hard and dug deep:

:P
At least back then, it was newsworthy in and of itself when the journalism was wrong.  ;)
God bless!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #25282 on: January 13, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »

It's sparse here too but there are a few decent attempts at least. Also, I like the idea of newspaper provided of course the paper in question doesn't drive me nuts. Switched to another newspaper last year which fixed that issue. But you know, a good night sleep, slow morning and a good cup of coffee does miracles. Browsing some online news just isn't the same.

Anyway, it could be fun to read news from the US. We see them here too but the perspective is understandably fairly different.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
« Reply #25283 on: January 13, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »
I've always wondered if people in Georgia the country like the song "Georgia on My Mind."

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25284 on: January 14, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »
I've always wondered if people in Georgia the country like the song "Georgia on My Mind."
I can honestly say that that thought has not once ever crossed my mind.  :P
God bless!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #25285 on: January 14, 2016, 10:39:22 AM »

Not if trains run at midnight there? :P
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #25286 on: January 14, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »
Anyone pregnant? I found the perfect card for you.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/delightfully-evil-baby-card-plays-225628549.html

On the outside, fancy script reads, “A baby is God’s sweetest gift” above a photo of a cherubic, sleeping newborn. So far, it’s a typical sappy baby card.

But wait.

Open it and you’re greeted with text that says, “The gift that keeps on giving.” There’s space for a message too.

So far, so good.

There’s also a tempting little button to press, which your unknowing victim will undoubtedly do. And when he or she does, the card plays the sound of a crying baby.

And not just hiccupy, soft baby sobs, but harsh, scream-filled, angry cries.

And it’ll keep playing. For at least three hours. Without stopping.

Close the card and the crying continues. Push the button again and the crying gets louder. Keep pushing the button and it increases in volume up to four times! The crying continues until the card’s batteries run out or the victim destroys the card.
God bless!

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #25287 on: January 14, 2016, 02:56:33 PM »

The Beatles wondered the same thing....

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #25288 on: January 14, 2016, 03:25:54 PM »

The Beatles wondered the same thing....
Yeah, I was thinking of that song myself.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #25289 on: January 14, 2016, 04:25:17 PM »
Anyone pregnant? I found the perfect card for you.

Any mail from you will be promptly reported to Homeland Security.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox