Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5529911 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #25200 on: January 03, 2016, 01:49:20 AM »
I love how the little ones crowd to follow me as I cense the house on Saturday evenings.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25201 on: January 04, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »
What I learned from social media comments about discovering new elements and putting them on the periodic table: religious people will probably refuse to let new textbooks include it because, you know, God; atheist people are so dumb how they reject God when periodic table not even full done?; there was a guy from area 51 who revealed element 113 but they laughed at him but now they 'found' element 113 omg the guvment lies and here come aliens!; these don't count as real elements, I make elements like these new ones all the time, so do my kids, so they can't be real; this proves that science changes which proves that science is useless!!!

Very educational.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:59:18 AM by Asteriktos »
Facts loading, please wait

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25202 on: January 04, 2016, 12:32:57 PM »
I'm starting go read up on the 'manosphere.'

Wow.  Very sad.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #25203 on: January 04, 2016, 12:52:37 PM »
What I learned from social media comments about discovering new elements and putting them on the periodic table: religious people will probably refuse to let new textbooks include it because, you know, God; atheist people are so dumb how they reject God when periodic table not even full done?; there was a guy from area 51 who revealed element 113 but they laughed at him but now they 'found' element 113 omg the guvment lies and here come aliens!; these don't count as real elements, I make elements like these new ones all the time, so do my kids, so they can't be real; this proves that science changes which proves that science is useless!!!

Very educational.

I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #25204 on: January 04, 2016, 01:15:59 PM »

Wow.  Very sad.

PUA theme song: Robin Thicke, "Blurred Lines" (Honorable mention: Village People, "Macho Man")

MGTOW theme song: Fleetwood Mac, "Go Your Own Way" (Honorable mention: Bob Marley, "No Woman, No Cry")

MRA theme song: Beastie Boys, "Fight For Your Right" (Honorable mention: Burger King commercial, "I Am Man")
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25205 on: January 04, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »

Please tell me that's really from a religious textbook somewhere.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #25206 on: January 04, 2016, 01:55:31 PM »

Wow.  Very sad.

What exactly are you reading? The manosphere/Red Pill stuff I've read have made some valid points but its ugly when it gets to manipulating other women for whatever desires they want.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25207 on: January 04, 2016, 02:13:32 PM »

Wow.  Very sad.

What exactly are you reading? The manosphere/Red Pill stuff I've read have made some valid points but its ugly when it gets to manipulating other women for whatever desires they want.

A smattering here and there from a few forums.  I agree with your take, and that's the sad part.  Also a degree of despair underneath.

I know now that my personality type as 'neanderthal male' with a heavy dose of redneck is no longer cut out for most businesses or bureaucracies.  My last government employment was evidence enough for me that I'm politically incorrect even when I'm trying desperately not to be.  So, I relate to a lot of the complaints they have.

It is just so tragic to see so many people literally squeezed out of society.

The poetic part is to see 'Western' society breaking up this basic relationship of male and female for the sake of 'progress,' only to then to have to import warm bodies from parts of the world that are 'behind'.

You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #25208 on: January 04, 2016, 02:40:12 PM »
A smattering here and there from a few forums.  I agree with your take, and that's the sad part.  Also a degree of despair underneath.
Yeah I just picture everyone that posts on those kind of sites as sock-puppets of JamesR and have watched too much Fight Club.

Its just an outlet for white males to post about their frustrations at their lack of game and blame it on feminism.

I generally hate all sort of self-help improvement but there is some decent practical advice that can help boost one's confidence and self-worth. The problem is that gets twisted into validating oneself by using a whole host of women as sex objects for casual encounters (and then belittle them on the internet). That's not what its about.

Nothing wrong with ONS or casual flings, I've encouraged others here to experience it before they get serious about relationships and marriage. I guess fundamentally I do agree there are certain women worthy of marrying and others not so much.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:44:34 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25209 on: January 04, 2016, 05:03:02 PM »
Oh boy, here we go...

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #25210 on: January 04, 2016, 05:18:55 PM »

Please tell me that's really from a religious textbook somewhere.

Unfortunately, no (although I'm sure there are some religious textbooks that have attempted to revise the periodic table). The picture I shared is from the Landover Baptist Church website, which is a parody.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #25211 on: January 04, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »

Wow.  Very sad.

I know now that my personality type as 'neanderthal male' with a heavy dose of redneck is no longer cut out for most businesses or bureaucracies.  My last government employment was evidence enough for me that I'm politically incorrect even when I'm trying desperately not to be.  So, I relate to a lot of the complaints they have.

The poetic part is to see 'Western' society breaking up this basic relationship of male and female for the sake of 'progress,' only to then to have to import warm bodies from parts of the world that are 'behind'.

The other thing about manospherians is that many (if not most) of them believe that soon real women will become obsolete once sexbots go on the market.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25212 on: January 04, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »
Every youtube vid and website I've stumbled across with people talking about all the men's rights/alpha male/whatever yadayada reminds me of that Daryl guy in the movie Coming To America (in fact that part at ~1:45-2:10 could be taken straight from the 'How to be a manly man' stuff)  :police:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:33:08 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25213 on: January 04, 2016, 05:41:53 PM »

Wow.  Very sad.

The other thing about manospherians is that many (if not most) of them believe that soon real women will become obsolete once sexbots go on the market.

If ever the silliness of a movement could be summed up in one post.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #25214 on: January 04, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »

In this case I would say the effect is salutary.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #25215 on: January 04, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »
Lol this reminds me of a chat once about a gay guy bragging about artificial wombs and test tube babies, that women should cease to exist. I wonder if he still has those views...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:57:46 PM by nothing »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #25216 on: January 04, 2016, 08:05:53 PM »

You've missed the latest episode. Apparently, a dog is better than a woman in everything except sex (which they're not interested in, that's what he said). The jury is still out on the sammich issue.

If one must delve into the manosphere, it's better to do it through We Hunted the Mammoth, in order to get all the ridiculousness tempered with humour, and avoid granting pageclicks to the red pill sewer.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #25217 on: January 04, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »
I hear these words, don't really understand what they mean, and, when someone begins to tell me, I lose interest immediately. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25218 on: January 04, 2016, 08:16:53 PM »
Good man.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #25219 on: January 04, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »

Wow.  Very sad.

Wowowowowowo. That avatar is outta control. Did you make that?

Lol! That's brilliant.
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25220 on: January 05, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »
"Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the Lord."

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #25221 on: January 05, 2016, 02:59:58 PM »
"Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the Lord."

Are you saying that Phil Collins fans are committers of abominations?
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25222 on: January 05, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »

Are you saying that Phil Collins fans are committers of abominations?

Is not Phil Collins himself the abomination of desolation? Or was that Peter Gabriel? I get my pop performers mixed up...

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25223 on: January 05, 2016, 11:53:34 PM »
Sometimes I like to dream that oc.net is a 4X strategy game, and I can build an explorer unit and send it out, and as the fog of war gets eliminated I can see who is a sock puppet of another (probably better known) forum user. That would probably ruin the fun though.  8)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #25224 on: January 06, 2016, 06:09:14 AM »
I was looking at an "inter-denominational" missions organization.  I find it interesting that Orthodoxy doesn't count, so evangelism is necessary in Greece, Romania, Ukraine, etc.

Because, you know, commies or whatever.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #25225 on: January 06, 2016, 06:39:37 AM »
Fwiw, when I was a Protestant I often heard it said that America was the largest missionary field in the world.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #25226 on: January 06, 2016, 07:19:18 AM »
I was looking at an "inter-denominational" missions organization.  I find it interesting that Orthodoxy doesn't count, so evangelism is necessary in Greece, Romania, Ukraine, etc.

Because, you know, commies or whatever.
I'm going to sign up for a trip to Romania.

While in Romania, you will serve with a strategic ministry partner and long term missionary, using your unique skills, gifts, and heart for ministry. This could look like:

•Kids Ministry: From VBS to after school programs and everywhere in between, you can share the love of Jesus through kids' favorite language: fun.
•Women's Ministry: You'll have the opportunity to share testimonies, sing, and pour into women in a local women's Bible study.
•Church Ministry: Encourage a local church through a sermon, worship, or sharing testimonies.
•Community Outreach: Through house visits and even giving food to low income families, you can give hope to those who need to hear it in the most important place in their lives: the home.
•Bible Distribution: You might even get to pass out copies of God's Word to those who have never read it.
•Teaching English: You'll make relationships with your students and teach them a valuable skill (a second language) at the same time!

http://www.adventures.org/trips/mission-trips.asp?locID=9&typeid=5

Awesome!  I can't wait to teach English, pass out infallible words of God, and "pour into women" (Seriously, what the hell?)!

Fwiw, when I was a Protestant I often heard it said that America was the largest missionary field in the world.

I saw this sign in more than one sect.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #25227 on: January 06, 2016, 10:09:18 AM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:13:31 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #25228 on: January 06, 2016, 10:22:21 AM »

;D
God bless!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #25229 on: January 06, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »
The conclusion, Darth Vader is the only one who can bring the light of God's word to Romanian commies!
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #25230 on: January 06, 2016, 06:33:15 PM »
RIP Pierre Boulez and Gilbert Kaplan. The old baton guard is almost all gone.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #25231 on: January 06, 2016, 08:00:25 PM »

I own quite a few CD's conducted by Boulez.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #25232 on: January 06, 2016, 11:22:53 PM »
 :( Stopped at 2 stores tonight after Vigil, neither had any eggnog left. I was initially surprised when it was still available this late, but I have gotten at this time the past few years. It seems they start selling it in the middle of November before Thanksgiving. Now I'll have to think of something else to do with the spiced rum tomorrow, ... perhaps flip.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #25233 on: January 06, 2016, 11:52:52 PM »

He once mistakenly called Paul Simon "Al" at a party, and the rest was history.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #25234 on: January 07, 2016, 01:11:47 AM »
:( Stopped at 2 stores tonight after Vigil, neither had any eggnog left. I was initially surprised when it was still available this late, but I have gotten at this time the past few years. It seems they start selling it in the middle of November before Thanksgiving. Now I'll have to think of something else to do with the spiced rum tomorrow, ... perhaps flip.

This is the last eggnog recipe you will ever need, so please don't ever bother with store bought eggnog again. 

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #25235 on: January 07, 2016, 01:40:16 AM »

He once mistakenly called Paul Simon "Al" at a party, and the rest was history.

Since I was a child, that song has made me a bit sad. If you can figure out why, I'll write you a check for $2000, for saving me decades of therapy.

This is the last mystery of life.

Thank you.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25236 on: January 07, 2016, 02:13:58 AM »
Narcissistic injury involving the song or even just as the song was playing.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #25237 on: January 07, 2016, 02:30:23 AM »
Narcissistic injury involving the song or even just as the song was playing.

I know you are not used to working for a living, so good first try.

I'll also note, this is the first post of mine you taken an interest in and only to attempt an ill fated insult.

But curlytalk, I've no more insight into this sadness of mine than before your post. That you might earn for your household, I'll give you more grist for your mill.

Unlike most of my pathology which is wrapped in the embrace of my mother, this sadness has always seem to involve a glance of my father. Clearly as a child, I didn't understand this song's allusions to middle age, I wasn't that insightful as a child. Nor was my father middle aged when I heard this anthem.

Not sure I've ever seen the video, so you can assume I only heard the song.

So curly try again.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25238 on: January 07, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »
One can have a primary narcissistic entanglement with the mother and still suffer a secondary with the father. In fact, the mother and the father usually represent separate stages in the development of the disease. The mother causes the initial trauma, and the sufferer turns to the father, usually near pubescence, as a savior, which, if the father rejects this or is not up to it, can lead to deeper trauma and further failure of normal development. Narcissism is a powerful disease and is one of the most common emotional illnesses at this time.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #25239 on: January 07, 2016, 01:49:22 PM »
lol

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25240 on: January 07, 2016, 02:15:38 PM »
Working on something and came across this on Facebook. Thought I'd share:

Elder Paisios of Mount Athos likened people into two categories: flies and honey bees. He said that if you ask a fly, "Are there any flowers in the area?" it will say, "I don't know about flowers, but over there is a heap of rubbish and you can find all the filth you want;" and it will go on to list and describe every unclean thing. However, if you ask a honeybee, "Have you seen any garbage in this area?" it will reply, "Garbage? No, I have not seen any. This meadow is filled only with the most beautiful and fragrant flowers," and it will go on to name them all.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #25241 on: January 07, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »
Working on something and came across this on Facebook. Thought I'd share:

Elder Paisios of Mount Athos likened people into two categories: flies and honey bees. He said that if you ask a fly, "Are there any flowers in the area?" it will say, "I don't know about flowers, but over there is a heap of rubbish and you can find all the filth you want;" and it will go on to list and describe every unclean thing. However, if you ask a honeybee, "Have you seen any garbage in this area?" it will reply, "Garbage? No, I have not seen any. This meadow is filled only with the most beautiful and fragrant flowers," and it will go on to name them all.

<3

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #25242 on: January 07, 2016, 02:54:45 PM »
No wasps?

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #25243 on: January 07, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »

This is the last eggnog recipe you will ever need, so please don't ever bother with store bought eggnog again.

Thank you, delicious. I used all spiced rum rather than the rum/brandy mix it called for, quite easy too. Christ is born!

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #25244 on: January 07, 2016, 05:38:52 PM »
One can have a primary narcissistic entanglement with the mother and still suffer a secondary with the father. In fact, the mother and the father usually represent separate stages in the development of the disease. The mother causes the initial trauma, and the sufferer turns to the father, usually near pubescence, as a savior, which, if the father rejects this or is not up to it, can lead to deeper trauma and further failure of normal development. Narcissism is a powerful disease and is one of the most common emotional illnesses at this time.

Curly this wouldn't even pass muster in an undergraduate class at the academy.

You gotta fill in more gaps here. Freudian fortune cookies are a dime a dozen.