Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5540634 times)

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #24840 on: October 25, 2015, 12:51:01 AM »
Facebook stalking someone you haven't seen in a decade is really, really hard when their last name is Smith

#whitepeopleproblems

And ya know what's even worse, man?  His first name is Jo!  Can you believe it?  I have a huge cross to bear, that I've suddenly found myself wondering what Jo Smith is up to.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #24841 on: October 25, 2015, 01:24:38 AM »
Facebook stalking someone you haven't seen in a decade is really, really hard when their last name is Smith

#whitepeopleproblems

And ya know what's even worse, man?  His first name is Jo!  Can you believe it?  I have a huge cross to bear, that I've suddenly found myself wondering what Jo Smith is up to.

You need to contact FB and demand that they make stalking easier.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24842 on: October 25, 2015, 01:57:44 AM »

#whitepeopleproblems

You need to contact FB and demand that they make stalking easier.

I know, right?

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
« Reply #24843 on: October 26, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »

Try adding a location at the end of the name, when you do a FB search.

Better yet, if you know the schools/interests/locations/etc. put all that into Google. That is saying if his profile isn't completely private.

I like that Facebook forced people into using their real names except for me.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:23:14 PM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24844 on: October 26, 2015, 12:48:08 PM »

Try adding a location at the end of the name, when you do a FB search.

Better yet, if you know the schools/interests/locations/etc. put all that into Google. That is saying if his profile isn't completely private.

I like that Facebook forced people into using their real names except for me.

Lol, perhaps I can give you all of the information I know, and you can find him for me.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #24845 on: October 30, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
I've just realised that this year we've had none of the usual 'Halloween is satanic!!1!' nonsense around here.

Could be because YIM has been absent...
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #24846 on: October 30, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »
I've just realised that this year we've had none of the usual 'Halloween is satanic!!1!' nonsense around here.

Halloween is Satanic...but I have donuts
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24847 on: October 30, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:38:33 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Raylight

« Reply #24848 on: October 30, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »
When you go to use the washroom at the campus and find out that two guys are "busy". What do you do? Yell at them, report them to the security, or call the police?

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24849 on: October 30, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »
When you go to use the washroom at the campus and find out that two guys are "busy". What do you do? Yell at them, report them to the security, or call the police?

Turn out the lights.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Raylight

« Reply #24850 on: October 30, 2015, 03:52:12 PM »

Turn out the lights.

I didn't think of that. It was really disgusting. At that time I wished if I was deaf and blind. The sad thing is that when I told some friends, they said that such things just happen at the campus! Not big surprise!! :(  Others said that it was none of my business to report them, and that I shouldn't "judge" them!! What the heck?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #24851 on: October 30, 2015, 05:31:59 PM »

I tell them that I am a member of the university's Don't Fornicate Alone student group, providing impartial and non-judgmental voyeurs observers to ensure that all activities are begun, carried out, and concluded safely, securely, and with respect for each person's free will and right to give or retract consent at any moment. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #24852 on: October 30, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »

Pretend nothing happened and not use the bathroom again for months. Unless they're blowing eachother en pleine public, in which case I'd probably say something along the lines of 'dudes, get a room'.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:40:06 PM by Cyrillic »

Online Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24853 on: October 30, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »

Pretend nothing happened and not use the bathroom again for months. Unless they're blowing eachother en pleine public, in which case I'd probably say something along the lines of 'dudes, get a room'.

If they're out in the open just stare, making sure not to break eye contact with one of them. It keeps the eyes pure, so to speak, while being entirely unnerving to the other fellow.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24854 on: October 31, 2015, 01:03:09 AM »
So tonight, as an alternative to homework, I decided to collect statistics on Episcopal seminary professors (not including adjuncts).  Of the 85 professors with a doctoral degree (excluding those with a D.Min), 80% have their doctoral degree from a U.S. institution, with 20% coming from a foreign school.  The top three schools producing professors, which have a combined 25% of the professors, are Yale (10 profs), Chicago (6 profs), and Harvard (5 profs).  Surprisingly, only 3 of the professors with a foreign degree earned theirs in Canada.  All others (aside from 1 with a degree from an African university) earned theirs in the UK.  The most popular foreign school was the Univ. of Durham (with 3).

After thoroughly wasting my time collecting this information (and a more full break-down of the alma maters of professors at Episcopal Seminaries), I then decided to do the same for the ELCA.

It's amazing that I've now spent about twice as long on this project as my homework would have taken.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24855 on: October 31, 2015, 01:09:51 AM »
I am now deciding between doing homework and expanding my data collection to the entire mainline.  Also, perhaps, the Orthodox seminaries.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24856 on: October 31, 2015, 01:20:49 AM »
I am now deciding between doing homework and expanding my data collection to the entire mainline.  Also, perhaps, the Orthodox seminaries.

While examining Orthodox seminaries. make sure to collect data on how many seminary professors/teachers have actual parish ministry experience, and if that experience is within the jurisdiction the person is a member of.
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24857 on: October 31, 2015, 01:54:23 AM »

While examining Orthodox seminaries. make sure to collect data on how many seminary professors/teachers have actual parish ministry experience, and if that experience is within the jurisdiction the person is a member of.

I had actually hoped to collect that information on all of these seminaries, unfortunately I've found that details at that level tend to vary greatly from individual to individual, for some reason (that is, a break-down of their career history).  But I'll see what I can do.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24858 on: October 31, 2015, 01:58:59 AM »

I had actually hoped to collect that information on all of these seminaries, unfortunately I've found that details at that level tend to vary greatly from individual to individual, for some reason (that is, a break-down of their career history).  But I'll see what I can do.

Put on your cape...   ;D

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #24859 on: October 31, 2015, 03:19:29 AM »

I myself would find this information interesting.  How are your skills in data preparation / presentation for web viewing?
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24860 on: October 31, 2015, 03:26:13 AM »

I myself would find this information interesting.  How are your skills in data preparation / presentation for web viewing?

They could use some improvement.  But perhaps this would be a good opportunity to improve

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24861 on: October 31, 2015, 04:48:30 AM »
So, for those who would be interested in such data, what all would you like to know about the faculty at Orthodox seminaries?

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #24862 on: October 31, 2015, 04:55:01 AM »
Well for starters jurisdiction would be useful. 
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24863 on: October 31, 2015, 05:41:04 AM »
Well I've definitely intended to collect that.

Also, I just finished going through St. Herman's faculty, and it took forever.  I was forced to Google almost everyone to actually find out anything about them, and even then I failed to find much on most of them.  Also, almost all of them are adjuncts.  Many of whom are adjuncts that also teach at St. Vlad's and Holy Cross....which means they can't actually be in Alaska too often.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #24864 on: November 03, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »
Sometimes I really feel like I need to start a blog about my job.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #24865 on: November 03, 2015, 06:14:46 PM »
Sometimes I really feel like I need to start a blog about my job.

Just start a thread(s) like other OCNetters. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #24866 on: November 03, 2015, 08:25:41 PM »
I have returned from vacation invigorated and prepared to spam oc.net as never before!
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24867 on: November 03, 2015, 08:26:54 PM »
I have returned from vacation invigorated and prepared to spam oc.net as never before!

Great, so now I can retreat and you can take back the Inane Poster throne.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24868 on: November 03, 2015, 08:29:12 PM »

I have found the perfect job for you. You should become Pocahontas at Disney World. You don't have to talk much, you have long black hair, and you just need to smile and wave to children. You have at least 1/3 of the qualifications.
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24869 on: November 03, 2015, 08:30:28 PM »

I have found the perfect job for you. You should become Pocahontas at Disney World. You don't have to talk much, you have long black hair, and you just need to smile and wave to children. You have at least 1/3 of the qualifications.

I was in elementary school when that movie came out and I was pretty tan at the time, so naturally a lot of kids at school were calling me Pocahontas.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24870 on: November 03, 2015, 08:31:49 PM »

I was in elementary school when that movie came out and I was pretty tan at the time, so naturally a lot of kids at school were calling me Pocahontas.
I feel old.
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24871 on: November 03, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »
You can own the earth and still, all you'll own is earth until you can paint with all the colors of the wind.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24872 on: November 03, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
You can own the earth and still, all you'll own is earth until you can paint with all the colors of the wind.
You so got the job. Get that resume polished up! Also, I hear it is a great way to meet boys.
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24873 on: November 03, 2015, 08:46:51 PM »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24874 on: November 03, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »
LOL!!!

well played.
God bless!

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #24875 on: November 03, 2015, 11:33:57 PM »
Pet peeve posted here because i dont like revivng threads.

I got this email today; saying my order shipped.
Votre commande a été expédiée avec DHL Global Mail Worldwide
Ce service n'offre pas l'option de suivi, veuillez compter 20 jours ouvrables avant de contacter le service client.
Your order has been shipped with DHL Global Mail Worldwide.
This service does not offer the option of tracking; please allow 20 buisness days before contacting the delivery service.
Is it really so hard to attach a tracking number? YOu can do it with almost anything; but i guess DHL GlobalMail is exempt

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24876 on: November 04, 2015, 12:29:14 AM »

Ce service n'offre pas l'option de suivi, veuillez compter 20 jours ouvrables avant de contacter le service client.
This service does not offer the option of tracking; please allow 20 buisness days before contacting the delivery service.
Is it really so hard to attach a tracking number? YOu can do it with almost anything; but i guess DHL GlobalMail is exempt

Perhaps it is exempt because it is coming from France.  The French are notoriously uncooperative.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #24877 on: November 04, 2015, 12:33:50 AM »

Perhaps it is exempt because it is coming from France.  The French are notoriously uncooperative.

My orders from Amazon France came with a tracking number.

I also could have paid for express shipping; but it would have been an extra 9$ that i didnt feel like spending.

I blame DHL

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24878 on: November 04, 2015, 12:57:02 AM »
This reminds me of the time I ordered a scarf from the troubled area of Ukraine, and it came in two weeks... but I sent something from the East Coast to Montana and it took like two months. Ah, USPS. How I hate you.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #24879 on: November 04, 2015, 02:26:27 AM »

I feel old.

Oooh, big man.  You were in, what, middle school?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #24880 on: November 04, 2015, 12:58:57 PM »
"Speaking as a Christian, I find the Apostle Paul appealing and the Apostle Peale appalling" -Adlai Stevenson
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #24881 on: November 09, 2015, 05:34:13 PM »
For some time I thought OC.net had gone down for good since orthodox.ws didn't seem to produce any results. After seeing yet another new gay thread being locked I truly hope the forum had gone down for good.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:34:46 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #24882 on: November 09, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
The thing I like most about owning a cat is that it's the only way I can get away with petting another male in my house.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #24883 on: November 09, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »
The thing I like most about owning a cat is that it's the only way I can get away with petting another male in my house.

It's 2015, Peter, you can be affectionate with anyone you want. 

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #24884 on: November 09, 2015, 06:27:05 PM »
Mor is right, Peter.  We're all here for you.