Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5540628 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #23625 on: March 01, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »
Happy St. David's Day to all the Welsh folk out there, and to those who love them! Also, happy name day to all the Davids out there.

My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #23626 on: March 01, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »
Just found an adapter to my old mobile phone. Actually the first phone I've ever had. Got it when I was 16 years old when my parents got tired of me texting with their phones. And it still works. Feeling fairly nostalgic.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #23627 on: March 01, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »
Daylight Saving Time begins next Sunday. I'm hoping the extra hour of sunlight will help melt all of the snow.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #23628 on: March 01, 2015, 09:37:25 PM »
When they re-launched the forum in October 2002 I failed to re-register on the first day (10.3.02), and didn't do so until the next day (10.4.02). Because of this delay I lost my chance to make the first page of the 'Members' section as shown according to date joined. I am not an original, first-day member! I am a lowly 10-4er. :( I have long lived with this shame, looking to and fro, wondering who was whispering cruel jokes as I passed, who treated me poorly because they knew I was vulnerable to abuse, who snickered with their friends when I dared to post--and indeed, I wondered, and still do, who it is that will some day ban me from the forum (admittedly a fitting end to a lazy new-comer like myself.) I should just crawl back in my hole!

Um

Hmm

Anyway

Here, this will brighten your day. Afterwards download it and put it on repeat.

Ok. :)
Sort by number of posts. It will make your day happy.  :P

Also, after the 8th time listening to that song, my day was no longer brightened, although I was still mesmerized by that girls exceptionally blue eyes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:40:36 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23629 on: March 02, 2015, 11:51:53 PM »
I feel good.
Facts unloading, please to wait

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23630 on: March 02, 2015, 11:52:29 PM »

Also, after the 8th time listening to that song, my day was no longer brightened, although I was still mesmerized by that girls exceptionally blue eyes.

I will never catch up to ialmisry :( I don't even hardly ever see him post, yet I am always behind...

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #23631 on: March 02, 2015, 11:57:29 PM »
I had no idea how much worse the styrofoam bowls would be than the waxed-cardboard ones.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23632 on: March 03, 2015, 12:33:00 AM »

I will never catch up to ialmisry :( I don't even hardly ever see him post, yet I am always behind...
Go to politics. All you wonderings will be answered there. 

Note: you will also lose your soul upon entry, so there is a tradeoff.
God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #23633 on: March 03, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »
We should make a troparion to ialmisry and his insightful political posts.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #23634 on: March 03, 2015, 12:52:17 PM »

I nominate Antonis. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23635 on: March 03, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
The elections are coming up. I hope I come across some campaigning Social Democrats; they always give out free roses. Roses make good boutonnières, or, failing that, charming presents.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:44:22 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #23636 on: March 03, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »
I had this thought the other day.

Treat every sin as a loaded gun. If you willingly commit that sin, the gun will shoot you in the head because sin is death. Don't take advantage of God's grace saying to yourself, "It's okay if I do such-and-such because God will forgive me." I would never take a loaded gun and shoot myself thinking, "It's okay, the doctor will heal me."

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23637 on: March 03, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »
I had this thought the other day.

Treat every sin as a loaded gun. If you willingly commit that sin, the gun will shoot you in the head because sin is death. Don't take advantage of God's grace saying to yourself, "It's okay if I do such-and-such because God will forgive me." I would never take a loaded gun and shoot myself thinking, "It's okay, the doctor will heal me."

That's a great way of putting it. It does seem that the medical analogies for sin and redemption work much better than the juridical ones.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23638 on: March 04, 2015, 04:02:14 AM »
I coulda swore we had a thread here on internet connections/speeds... but searches using both the [for me, now] broken forum search and a Google search didn't help me find it. Maybe it got hid when Shiny got banned--either moved to purgatory, or simply not findable through searches (I think I had a similar problem before when searching for a TomS thread... it simply wouldn't come up and I eventually had to use a more manual/hands-on searching method to find it).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23639 on: March 04, 2015, 04:04:06 AM »
The elections are coming up. I hope I come across some campaigning Social Democrats; they always give out free roses. Roses make good boutonnières, or, failing that, charming presents.

Christian Democrats > Social Democrats
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #23640 on: March 04, 2015, 04:42:26 AM »
I coulda swore we had a thread here on internet connections/speeds... but searches using both the [for me, now] broken forum search and a Google search didn't help me find it. Maybe it got hid when Shiny got banned--either moved to purgatory, or simply not findable through searches (I think I had a similar problem before when searching for a TomS thread... it simply wouldn't come up and I eventually had to use a more manual/hands-on searching method to find it).

I remember that thread.  Maybe it was disappeared a la North Korea.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23641 on: March 04, 2015, 09:18:29 AM »

Then they should give away something better than flyers. Christian Democratic pizzas sound good.

Offline Joha

• High Elder
  • Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #23642 on: March 04, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »

Then they should give away something better than flyers. Christian Democratic pizzas sound good.

Christian Democratic Pizza would be the only thing good in Dutch politics...  :-\ but not during lent! :o
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
Psalm 57:2 I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me.
You're big :P
The art of cherry picking

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23643 on: March 04, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »

Christian Democratic Pizza would be the only thing good in Dutch politics...  :-\ but not during lent! :o

As of late it's been entertaining to see politician after politician getting busted for corruption, embezzlement or running pot plantations. It's almost a polder version of Tangentopoli. Amusing for me, less so for the politicians.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:00:41 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23644 on: March 04, 2015, 04:01:39 PM »
I love to learn about Dutch political history. Altho it sounds like your contemporary politics is just antics, as everywhere nowadays.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23645 on: March 04, 2015, 04:04:28 PM »
I love to learn about Dutch political history. Altho it sounds like your contemporary politics is just antics, as everywhere nowadays.

It used to be even worse in the (late) Republic. It's just that we tend to be quicker to forgive the sins of the dead.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:05:14 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Joha

• High Elder
« Reply #23646 on: March 04, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »

As of late it's been entertaining to see politician after politician getting busted for corruption, embezzlement or running pot plantations. It's almost a polder version of Tangentopoli. Entertaining for me, less so for the politicians.

I never expected to say this... but maybe they are doing it better in Belgium once in a while...

What is the longest that they have been without...

They might be right...
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
Psalm 57:2 I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23647 on: March 04, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »

It used to be even worse in the (late) Republic. It's just that we tend to be quicker to forgive the sins of the dead.

Overall, tho, very clever. But in the end maybe too clever.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23648 on: March 04, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »

As of late it's been entertaining to see politician after politician getting busted for corruption, embezzlement or running pot plantations. It's almost a polder version of Tangentopoli. Entertaining for me, less so for the politicians.

I never expected to say this... but maybe they are doing it better in Belgium once in a while...

They might be right...

Belgium is where bad Dutchmen get to go when they die.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23649 on: March 04, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »

Nay, the system was bad. It's telling that nobody thought of restoring the old system after Napoleon was gone.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:09:12 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Joha

• High Elder
« Reply #23650 on: March 04, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »

They might be right...

Belgium is where bad Dutchmen get to go when they die.

That's why I flee the country  8)

Offline Joha

• High Elder
« Reply #23651 on: March 04, 2015, 04:12:09 PM »

Nay, the system was bad. It's telling that nobody thought of restoring the old system after Napoleon was gone.

The fact we didn't have an "unfallen" cabinet this century as well...

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23652 on: March 04, 2015, 04:13:36 PM »

What about more recently. Pillarization was a clever idea. Most countries' politicians would not go to such trouble.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23653 on: March 04, 2015, 04:15:48 PM »

The fact we didn't have an "unfallen" cabinet this century as well...

It's just a trick. Several months before the elections the parties in government usually pretend to be willing to walk away from the government over some principles they didn't care for the preceding four years. They do it because that way they won't have to bear as much responsibility for the policies of the cabinet.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23654 on: March 04, 2015, 04:17:01 PM »
What about more recently. Pillarization was a clever idea.

Travelling for miles to visit the barber or the baker because those on the corner of the street are Catholic was a brilliant idea indeed.

In any other country pillarization would probably have led to sectarian conflicts. Iraq and Syria are perfect examples of pillarized societies today.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:18:26 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23655 on: March 04, 2015, 04:19:40 PM »
Okay. Hmm. First religious freedom in nation-state Europe? You on board with that bit of history?

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23656 on: March 04, 2015, 04:21:41 PM »
Okay. Hmm. First religious freedom in nation-state Europe? You on board with that bit of history?

It was tolerance on paper only, if even that. Admittedly, it was better than in other parts of Europe.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23657 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:48 PM »
Yet it wasn't too long before religious refugees were flocking there, yes?

Now I'm full of curiosity which country's political history you approve.

Offline Joha

• High Elder
« Reply #23658 on: March 04, 2015, 04:26:29 PM »

and people fleeing because there was too much tolerance... sometimes even the same people that were refugees, I've been told.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23659 on: March 04, 2015, 04:28:56 PM »

and people fleeing because there was too much tolerance... sometimes even the same people that were refugees, I've been told.

LOL. A very clever reference.

Occasionally I walk past the houses where they used to live during some of my afternoon promenades. They're in horrible disrepair.

A lot.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:40:02 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #23660 on: March 04, 2015, 07:41:05 PM »

Arguably the worst attempt at satire ever.
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23661 on: March 05, 2015, 07:46:19 AM »

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23662 on: March 05, 2015, 08:42:52 AM »
Today is a snow day. Round here.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23663 on: March 05, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »
1) Stand in the snow and cold for 25 minutes waiting for the bus
2) Seeing no sign of bus, and it being 15+ minutes past when it was scheduled to go by, go back inside
3) Just after getting inside the door of your apartment building, look out and see the bus go by
4) ???
5) Profit

I guess, seeing as how all the local schools closed, I should have known that the roads were bad and it'd be late, and just waited there however long it took. Bah, and double-bah at my own impatience!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:23:00 AM by Justin Kissel »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23664 on: March 05, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23665 on: March 05, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »
something someone once wrote

So from "Brights" to "Noble" huh? These people must have sprained wrists from all the patting themselves on the back.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23666 on: March 05, 2015, 03:15:12 PM »
something someone once wrote

So from "Brights" to "Noble" huh? These people must have sprained wrists from all the patting themselves on the back.

I dunno. Guy who wrote it is a Christian. Don't know how noble he is, or bright.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23667 on: March 06, 2015, 03:28:45 AM »
Would you guys prefer that she looked like this?

Yes please?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #23668 on: March 06, 2015, 03:42:39 AM »
No breast pectoral cross.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #23669 on: March 06, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
Would you guys prefer that she looked like this?

Yes please?

Amen amen amen.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.