Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5569459 times)

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Lugia stares deep into the depths of your soul
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #23445 on: January 25, 2015, 01:41:58 AM »
Just read some rather unpleasant news about my old/former father confessor on Facebook (before I became Orthodox). It makes me upset to see how they treat him. Lord have mercy!
I'm sorry to hear that :(

So am I. I will keep him in my prayers.

To God Be the Glory!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #23446 on: January 28, 2015, 02:29:51 AM »
I could use the wisdom of Mor Ephrem at the moment.  I'm debating a 20 year old hyper-nationalist Greek friend of mine about Greece/Turkey relations.  Mor impart your wisdom unto me....

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #23447 on: January 28, 2015, 02:33:59 AM »
I could use the wisdom of Mor Ephrem at the moment.  I'm debating a 20 year old hyper-nationalist Greek friend of mine about Greece/Turkey relations.  Mor impart your wisdom unto me....

I'm not Mor, but may I say this: Save your breath and your energy. You have as much chance of swaying your friend as it is possible to convince a 15-year-old girl who smokes to keep her weight down to quit.  :P
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #23448 on: January 28, 2015, 02:40:08 AM »

I'm not Mor, but may I say this: Save your breath and your energy. You have as much chance of swaying your friend as it is possible to convince a 15-year-old girl who smokes to keep her weight down to quit.  :P

I actually convinced an entire high school locker room to quit smoking marijuana when I told them that it kills sperm (although it probably doesn't). For some reason they actually believed me and took me seriously since I had a reputation as the unwavering straight edge. This was sophomore year, before I transferred to independent study.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #23449 on: January 28, 2015, 02:43:32 AM »

I actually convinced an entire high school locker room to quit smoking marijuana when I told them that it kills sperm (although it probably doesn't). For some reason they actually believed me and took me seriously since I had a reputation as the unwavering straight edge. This was sophomore year, before I transferred to independent study.

High school boys aren't particularly bright.  The rumor that the dye yellow 5 killed sperm and made you impotent had boys swear off Mountain Dew for a while.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #23450 on: January 28, 2015, 02:47:44 AM »

She posted a image showing Kemal Ataturk's house in immaculate condition and Pavlos Melas' house outside of Athens in ruins.  She's not happy about the recent election results in Greece and thinks the world is anti-Hellenic.  You're right in that it's a Sisyphean effort to try to convince my friend otherwise.   :)

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #23451 on: January 28, 2015, 02:49:37 AM »

No one told you that their doctor said it was OK to smoke marijuana?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23452 on: January 28, 2015, 02:55:04 AM »

High school boys aren't particularly bright.  The rumor that the dye yellow 5 killed sperm and made you impotent had boys swear off Mountain Dew for a while.

You mean the taste of Mountain Spew wasn't enough to put them off?  ;D

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23453 on: January 28, 2015, 03:02:46 AM »

I don't know about those boys now, but for me, with vodka all things are possible...even being able to down Mountain Dew.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23454 on: January 28, 2015, 03:21:42 AM »

I don't know about those boys now, but for me, with vodka all things are possible...even being able to down Mountain Dew.

Heresy. Mountain Spew as a mixer? What an insult to the noble drink that is vodka.  :P ;D

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23455 on: January 28, 2015, 03:41:37 AM »

Heresy. Mountain Spew as a mixer? What an insult to the noble drink that is vodka.  :P ;D

There is nothing noble about vodka.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23456 on: January 28, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »
The news reporter said that virgin passengers are stranded at JFK.  How rude to reveal that!  As if people have to know they're virgins.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23457 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »

Yes there is.

Phooey.  >:(
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23458 on: January 28, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »

Yes there is.

The only thing ignoble about vodka is the hangover if one overindulges. Though it's not as bad as ouzo hangovers, or, by a very long stretch, Chinese rice spirit. That's in a seriously ignoble class of its own.  :o :o :P

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23459 on: January 28, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »
I could use the wisdom of Mor Ephrem at the moment.  I'm debating a 20 year old hyper-nationalist Greek friend of mine about Greece/Turkey relations.  Mor impart your wisdom unto me....

I'm not Mor, but may I say this: Save your breath and your energy. You have as much chance of swaying your friend as it is possible to convince a 15-year-old girl who smokes to keep her weight down to quit.  :P

High school boys aren't particularly bright.  The rumor that the dye yellow 5 killed sperm and made you impotent had boys swear off Mountain Dew for a while.

You mean the taste of Mountain Spew wasn't enough to put them off?  ;D

Heresy. Mountain Spew as a mixer? What an insult to the noble drink that is vodka.  :P ;D

Yes there is.

Phooey.  >:(

Phooey on you.   :P Whiskey is better.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:21:10 AM by hecma925 »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #23460 on: January 28, 2015, 10:22:08 AM »
Phooey on all of you. Rum is better than all the swill you folks are discussing.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23461 on: January 28, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »
Phooey on all of you. Rum is better than all the swill you folks are discussing.

Nothing like good Pennsylvania rum.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23462 on: January 28, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »

I like my rum like I like my women. Imported, mature and with long legs.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23463 on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:13 AM »

Rums mature from 3 to 5 years.  So in lady years, what?  21-35?  (Yes, I just applied the dog year rule to rum)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23464 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:56 AM »

Rums mature from 3 to 5 years.  So in lady years, what?  21-35?  (Yes, I just applied the dog year rule to rum)
Excellent calculations, sir! I don't care what everyone else around her says about you; you are NOT as dumb as you look.
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23465 on: January 28, 2015, 02:14:21 PM »

Nah-uh. Neener, neener, neener.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #23466 on: January 28, 2015, 05:40:17 PM »
Luckily I didn't buy any oil futures yesterday like I wanted to. Brent crude is down yet again today. When will we finally see the bottom?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:41:52 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23467 on: January 28, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »

Yes there is.

The only thing ignoble about vodka is the hangover if one overindulges. Though it's not as bad as ouzo hangovers, or, by a very long stretch, Chinese rice spirit. That's in a seriously ignoble class of its own.  :o :o :P

That's odd. I was sure vodka was the least likely to cause hangovers.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23468 on: January 28, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »

Cognac hangovers are far more deadly.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23469 on: January 28, 2015, 05:50:30 PM »

In my experience gin is the worst. Stick to one Martini or you'll regret it later.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #23470 on: January 28, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
The only thing ignoble about vodka is the hangover if one overindulges. Though it's not as bad as ouzo hangovers, or, by a very long stretch, Chinese rice spirit. That's in a seriously ignoble class of its own.  :o :o :P

People are getting wasted by drinking cognac?  ??? I've always assumed that cognac is something for fancier occasions.

I bought Georgian brandy few days ago. Haven't opened the bottle yet though. Probably will during this weekend as a friend is coming to visit.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:59:52 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #23471 on: January 28, 2015, 06:00:15 PM »
That discussion about Greece on social media earlier today with my hyper-nationalist friend ... she deleted all postings except for the image that started the conversation.   :-\

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23472 on: January 28, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »

Nope. I've been ironed out on cognac before, but the Chinese spirit was unbelievably bad. The better part of three days of feeling like complete crap, to put it mildly. The perils of not wishing to offend generous Chinese hosts and their abundant hospitality ....

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23473 on: January 28, 2015, 09:53:43 PM »
Luckily I didn't buy any oil futures yesterday like I wanted to. Brent crude is down yet again today. When will we finally see the bottom?
I bought long term options on it 2 weeks ago, and I am really regretting it.
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #23474 on: January 28, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »
people should not check in at hospitals on Facebook without some sort of -why you are there-

*is in a complete panic*
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23475 on: January 29, 2015, 01:53:51 AM »
All I'm looking for is frankincense essential oil that is not made by New Age hippies.  Why is this so hard?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #23476 on: January 29, 2015, 01:58:49 AM »
All I'm looking for is frankincense essential oil that is not made by New Age hippies.  Why is this so hard?

its not...

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23477 on: January 29, 2015, 12:02:44 PM »

It isn't too bad.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:04:41 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #23478 on: January 29, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »

It isn't too bad.

I have no money for stocks.  But I do like oil prices at the gas station.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #23479 on: January 29, 2015, 12:30:50 PM »

Yes there is.

That's odd. I was sure vodka was the least likely to cause hangovers.

I can say from experience that it does cause hangovers, and some nasty ones at that.  I'm not sure if it is more likely to or not, but it goes down easier so more can be consumed.  One time I mixed it with red bull, and half the bottle was gone before I knew what had happened.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #23480 on: January 29, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »
The worst three hangovers I have ever had.

1- The majority of a bottle of Captain Morgan spiced rum.  This was my first ever hangover.  I spent Sunday morning praying at the porcelain altar.  Sadly, as the next two stories will show, I learned nothing from this experience.

2- Rumpleminz.  I was in college and a friend and I were chilling, and had just drank the only two beers. I was in a drinking mood and there was this bottle of Rumpleminz in the freezer. I decided that it's continued undrank existence was an affront to me personally, and affront that could only be assuaged by drinking it.  Now, this was no ordinary bottle of Rumpleminz.  My dad bought it, took a few swigs, and put it in the freezer.  He did this several years prior to the terrible events that follow.  In the intervening time, the water had frozen solid and thus all that was left was pepperminty alcohol.  The next day I had no hangover...the day after that though, I got down on my knees at the porcelain altar and begged for forgiveness.

3- This one was just a year or two ago (remember how I said I had learned nothing from previous experiences?).  I was drinking with a couple of night shifters (on a work night for me) and by 1 or 2 AM we had reached a point of such utter depravity that we thought it a good idea to make shots with the express purpose of horrifying the other revelers, who by this point were too drunk to give in to their entirely understandable misgivings.  My brother poured a shot (or maybe it was a triple) of Evan Williams because the friend drinking with us hated the stuff.  I am much more creative, but also like games of chance.  So my horror-shot would be a mixture of the first three bottles on the shelf.  Absynthe and gin do not go together.  Unfortunately, this was not bad enough as the third bottle happened to be olive oil. 

We have since named this shot "The Egg".  None of us puked immediately, and none of us have dared to replicate the experience since.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23481 on: January 29, 2015, 01:08:38 PM »
Is there any reason to think that impurities in the spirit have to do with the severity of the hangover? Vodka's reputation as the safest alcohol may have to do with its association with purity.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #23482 on: January 29, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »
Is there any reason to think that impurities in the spirit have to do with the severity of the hangover? Vodka's reputation as the safest alcohol may have to do with its association with purity.

All alcohol can lead to impurity.

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #23483 on: January 29, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »
That discussion about Greece on social media earlier today with my hyper-nationalist friend ... she deleted all postings except for the image that started the conversation.   :-\

Do you know what? (out of curiosity)

To God Be the Glory!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #23484 on: January 29, 2015, 06:26:25 PM »

I don't follow....   ???

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23485 on: January 29, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »

Hangovers have more to do with dehydration than the congeners (the "impurities" that give flavor/characteristics to spirits).  Drink too much of anything, you'll get a hangover.

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #23486 on: January 29, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »

I don't follow....   ???

I meant to say why. Darn fingers mistyped

To God Be the Glory!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #23487 on: January 31, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »
I'm having an unexpected urge to colour my hair orange again. It's  been some years since I did that but I think I still have the coloring shampoo somewhere. It would be fun to see the faces of my colleagues on monday.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23488 on: January 31, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
Watching "Too Cute" on Animal Planet and nearly exploding from puppy cuteness.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #23489 on: January 31, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »

I don't follow....   ???

I meant to say why. Darn fingers mistyped

I'm thinking she was embarrassed when I posted a link to an article that showed the 2004 Summer Olympics venues in Athens being abandoned and in ruins in the decade after the games.  Since Greece is bankrupt - if they can't afford to keep Olympics venues (paid for with other people's money) from becoming abandoned, how can they afford to renovate the house of a Greek "hero."  Pavlos Melas is a hero to some and a guerrilla fighter who ethnically cleansed Bulgarians and Vlachs to others.