Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5542936 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #23355 on: January 15, 2015, 09:55:12 PM »
Thanks!   :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #23356 on: January 16, 2015, 01:17:34 AM »
Retired at 42.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23357 on: January 16, 2015, 01:21:30 AM »
Retired at 42.

Wow, are you a baseball player or something?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23358 on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:56 AM »
Forced into retirement by health problems. I had to give up the last contract, at the last kind of work I've been able to try, yesterday.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23359 on: January 16, 2015, 01:41:02 AM »
Forced into retirement by health problems. I had to give up the last contract, at the last kind of work I've been able to try, yesterday.

I'm sorry.

Maybe a hug would help.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23360 on: January 16, 2015, 01:50:28 AM »
:laugh: Thank you! Hugs always help.

You've reminded me of my one-year-old's new addiction, to cats.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23361 on: January 16, 2015, 01:51:55 AM »
Thank you.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23362 on: January 16, 2015, 02:06:46 AM »
"Paddington" comes out today. Yay! :)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • Spiritual Vision of God's Radiance
  • Faith: hesychast navel gazer
  • Jurisdiction: high level theosis with pews
« Reply #23363 on: January 16, 2015, 02:17:09 AM »
Retired at 42.
What was it that you did, I thought you were some kind of web or software developer? Whatever it was, must have been taxing. I've seen the toll it took on the programmers and developers I worked with who were burdened by very high demands from incompetent managers. Worse being on call for those 3AM emergencies...sounds like you were a lot more autonomous however.

Atleast you can tend to your health problems without the ills and stressors of working. If I was forced to retire from any line of work, I wouldn't even consider a second career. Might do some volunteer work here and there, get back into some neglected "hobbies" or gradually sink into a couch...

Me saying the above does provoke some feelings of shame...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:22:42 AM by nothing »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23364 on: January 16, 2015, 02:22:10 AM »
Retired at 42.
What was it that you did, I thought you were some kind of web or software developer? Whatever it was, must have been taxing. I've seen the toll it took on the programmers and developers I worked with who were burdened by very high demands from incompetent managers. Worse being on call for those 3AM emergencies...sounds like you were a lot more autonomous however.

Eh like a lot of folks I've done a variety of things, from landscaping to cabinet making to typesetting to door-to-door sales. But what I did most of my career was technical analysis and systems integration for major publishers (like Reader's Digest). The last things I tried, in order: database analyst, kitchen help, medical biller, receptionist, nursing assistant, contract programmer.

Atleast you can tend to your health problems without the ills and stressors of working. If I was given the option, even with or without health issues, I wouldn't even consider a second career. Might do some volunteer work here and there, get back into some neglected "hobbies" or gradually sink into a couch...

Well, yes, I'm blessed. My wife (tries) to maintain me financially. Volunteer work is always a good choice, but at this point I'm just trying to keep after our little daughters and find strength to do some housework.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:24:54 AM by Porter ODoran »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #23365 on: January 16, 2015, 02:23:28 AM »
Retired at 42.

Atleast you can tend to your health problems without the ills and stressors of working. If I was forced to retire from any line of work, I wouldn't even consider a second career. Might do some volunteer work here and there, get back into some neglected "hobbies" or gradually sink into a couch...

Not sure what health reason stops a software developer from working but allows to pursue intellectual hobbies. So I guess porter will be retiring from here as well.

Porter, check in from time to time.
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #23366 on: January 16, 2015, 02:24:16 AM »
Retired at 42.

Atleast you can tend to your health problems without the ills and stressors of working. If I was given the option, even with or without health issues, I wouldn't even consider a second career. Might do some volunteer work here and there, get back into some neglected "hobbies" or gradually sink into a couch...

Eh like a lot of folks I've done a variety of things, from landscaping to cabinet making to typesetting to door-to-door sales. But what I did most of my career was technical analysis and systems integration for major publishers (like Reader's Digest). The last things I tried, in order: database analyst, kitchen help, medical biller, receptionist, nursing assistant, contract programmer.
Oh well then nevermind.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23367 on: January 16, 2015, 02:24:46 AM »
Retired at 42.

Lord have mercy.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23368 on: January 16, 2015, 02:26:30 AM »
Retired at 42.

Not sure what health reason stops a software developer from working but allows to pursue intellectual hobbies. So I guess porter will be retiring from here as well.

OC.net is an intellectual hobby? :)

The "health reason" is short-term memory loss and general disorientation. (I mean the reason that can "stop a software developer from working"; that's not the sum of my illness.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:28:07 AM by Porter ODoran »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #23369 on: January 16, 2015, 02:30:36 AM »
Bah I was going to make an inside joke that you would understand Porter but I think it's somewhat inappropriate, but I'm in a sensitive mood so with that said best of luck dealing with your illness.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23370 on: January 16, 2015, 02:35:37 AM »
Bah I was going to make an inside joke that you would understand Porter but I think it's somewhat inappropriate, but I'm in a sensitive mood so with that said best of luck dealing with your illness.

My PM inbox isn't booby-trapped ...

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #23371 on: January 16, 2015, 02:37:25 AM »
Retired at 42.

The "health reason" is short-term memory loss and general disorientation.

Welcome to the club! How is your memory poor or you so disoriented? You seem rather sharp. I went through some rehab for cognitive issues following head trauma. I never fully recovered, but I managed to work pretty much from a week or so from the injury. And gradually managed to make a rather significant recovery if not a full one, yet and a lot of that time I was alone in doing so.

How to Recover from cognitive decline whether due to injure or illness is a rapidly changing animal.

And really, no oc.net nonsense. A gift my injury gave me: a true understanding of limitation. Pick and choose how you spend your mental energy.

Take care of your noggin!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23372 on: January 16, 2015, 02:40:31 AM »
Retired at 42.

Welcome to the club! How is your memory poor or you so disoriented? You seem rather sharp. I went through some rehab for cognitive issues following head trauma. I never fully recovered, but I managed to work pretty much from a week or so from the injury. And gradually managed to make a rather significant recovery if not a full one, yet and a lot of that time I was alone in doing so.

How to Recover from cognitive decline whether due to injure or illness is a rapidly changing animal.

And really, no oc.net nonsense. A gift my injury gave me: a true understanding of limitation. Pick and choose how you spend your mental energy.

Again, your high estimation of OC.net surprises me.

Glad you saw quick recovery, to an extent, from your injury, and I'll pray you fully recover in time.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #23373 on: January 16, 2015, 02:48:03 AM »
Retired at 42.

Again, your high estimation of OC.net surprises me.

Glad you saw quick recovery, to an extent, from your injury, and I'll pray you fully recover in time.

If I estimate it higher than you and I am . . . then you can . . . too.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #23374 on: January 16, 2015, 02:50:05 AM »
I hope the Navy accepts me after college. I really want to be an officer and to be able to retire after only 20 years.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #23375 on: January 16, 2015, 02:55:07 AM »
I hope the Navy accepts me after college. I really want to be an officer and to be able to retire after only 20 years.

Do they have height requirement or is man of your stature sought after for submarine duty?

I am sure you can become a naval officer if you so choose.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #23376 on: January 16, 2015, 02:56:37 AM »

Does your college have Navy ROTC?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #23377 on: January 16, 2015, 02:57:10 AM »

Do they have height requirement or is man of your stature sought after for submarine duty?

He'd have to survive boot camp first.  :P
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #23378 on: January 16, 2015, 03:09:45 AM »

I'm not sure the Navy requires boot camp for their officer candidates, but their officer candidate school may be just as hard as boot camp.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23379 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:32 AM »

I'm not sure the Navy requires boot camp for their officer candidates, but their officer candidate school may be just as hard as boot camp.

Annapolis requires rigorous academics, anyway. That's usually what keeps folks out.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23380 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:50 AM »

Different stressors certainly; OCS is also several weeks longer.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23381 on: January 16, 2015, 03:16:49 AM »

Annapolis requires rigorous academics, anyway. That's usually what keeps folks out.

Naval OCS is in Rhode Island.  The Naval Academy is in Annapolis.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23382 on: January 16, 2015, 03:17:29 AM »

Naval OCS is in Rhode Island.  The Naval Academy is in Annapolis.

We're talking about different things, and one of us knows what he's talking about. :)

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #23383 on: January 16, 2015, 03:25:08 AM »

I talked to a recruiter once and he said that my stature is fine. I hope I get placed on a submarine. They get the best food and working on the bridge just sounds so fun.

Thanks. I sure hope so.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #23384 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:11 AM »

Does your college have Navy ROTC?

No  :( I'm still in community college. But hopefully when I transfer to a four year institution in the semi-distant future they'll have one.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #23385 on: January 16, 2015, 03:28:19 AM »

We don't have boot camp we have OCS which is kinda like boot camp but more academic and geared toward officers. Besides, even if they do, Navy boot camp is a cakewalk compared to what the Marine Corp puts you through. And it's not segregated by sex, so I could potentially meet women.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #23386 on: January 16, 2015, 03:36:21 AM »
And it's not segregated by sex, so I could potentially meet women.

What would be the point of that? You've declared you're not interested in getting married or having children.  :P
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23387 on: January 16, 2015, 04:01:59 AM »
If you're wanting to meet women at OCS, you're priorities are out of wack.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #23388 on: January 16, 2015, 04:05:36 AM »

Well my first priority is to not fail miserably and get kicked out. It'd bring dishonor to three generations of sailors in my family.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23389 on: January 16, 2015, 04:07:45 AM »

Well my first priority is to not fail miserably and get kicked out. It'd bring dishonor to three generations of sailors in my family.

That's a bad first priority.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #23390 on: January 16, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »
Called customer support today. It's situated somewhere in the south of the country, where there's quite a bit of unemployment. The phone was answered by an eastern European who couldn't even speak Dutch, and barely even speak English at that. Damned cheap labour, it makes me sad. Hire a native if only to answer the phone.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:29:07 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23391 on: January 16, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »

That's a bad first priority.

"Aim high" was already taken by the Air Force...
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #23392 on: January 17, 2015, 01:44:11 PM »
I did know that we have a statue of Russian tsar in our capital's sort of central square and an Orthodox cathedral with golden onion domes next to the presidential palace but I didn't remember that we have a Soviet-style bar too. Should visit it some day.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #23393 on: January 17, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »
Soviet Style Bar?

Do they make you wait in a 5 hour long line only to tell you they have nothing to serve you ?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23394 on: January 17, 2015, 05:15:44 PM »
I did know that we have a statue of Russian tsar in our capital's sort of central square and an Orthodox cathedral with golden onion domes next to the presidential palace but I didn't remember that we have a Soviet-style bar too. Should visit it some day.

I hope this means they have lots of vodka. :)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #23395 on: January 17, 2015, 05:57:10 PM »
Soviet Style Bar?

Do they make you wait in a 5 hour long line only to tell you they have nothing to serve you ?

In Soviet Russia, vodka drinks you.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23396 on: January 18, 2015, 12:26:05 AM »
Should it really be a deal breaker that Susan smears egg yolks on her peanut butter cups, or should Juan simply learn to live with it and accept it as one of the many quirks of a life well lived?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:26:35 AM by Justin Kissel »
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23397 on: January 18, 2015, 07:08:25 AM »
Should it really be a deal breaker that Susan smears egg yolks on her peanut butter cups, or should Juan simply learn to live with it and accept it as one of the many quirks of a life well lived?

Juan should drop her.  That is a capital offense, whether we're talking about Reese's or homemade.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #23398 on: January 18, 2015, 07:28:11 AM »
The great thing about this thread is that if you mispost something it doesn't matter.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23399 on: January 18, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »
"Misposts".