Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5911828 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #23310 on: January 14, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »
DC is not the South.

It's in the South. Don't tell me the Maryland and Virginia flavors never seep past the Beltway.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #23311 on: January 14, 2015, 01:01:51 AM »
The great thing about this forum is how all the sardonic, halfway interested "seekers", never-converting-but-fascinated-with-Orthodoxy heterodox, and barely-Orthodox-for-two-months converts always know better than everyone else (including our seasoned hierarchs and holy fathers) how the Church should be run and feel free to launch into haughty, scathing critiques of the Church all the time.  The only thing better is when the more timid, chickenhearted, Orthodox defer to these folks for fear of looking "pharisaical", "ethnocentric", "triumphalistic", or "judgmental".

I would love it if more Orthodox who are knowledgeable and can have a discussion would participate here. If you know of any, ask them to join.

Have you considered the possibility that you've defeated all of them, including the Great Mor Ephrem?

I don't understand ??? I would welcome such people so that I could have some theological conversations with them. The only things I wish to 'defeat' are silly statements like that one must be in communion with Constantinople to be Orthodox, or that Constantine made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire, or that the Bible canon was settled in the 4th century.

I think all those questions are settled - what makes you think otherwise?  If you can't find the answers after 100,000 posts, what makes you think that the answers will be found after a googolplex of googolplexes number of posts?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:03:02 AM by SolEX01 »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #23312 on: January 14, 2015, 01:02:35 AM »
DC is not the South.

It's in the South. Don't tell me the Maryland and Virginia flavors never seep past the Beltway.

DC has always been considered a southern city.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23313 on: January 14, 2015, 01:03:28 AM »
The great thing about this forum is how all the sardonic, halfway interested "seekers", never-converting-but-fascinated-with-Orthodoxy heterodox, and barely-Orthodox-for-two-months converts always know better than everyone else (including our seasoned hierarchs and holy fathers) how the Church should be run and feel free to launch into haughty, scathing critiques of the Church all the time.  The only thing better is when the more timid, chickenhearted, Orthodox defer to these folks for fear of looking "pharisaical", "ethnocentric", "triumphalistic", or "judgmental".

I would love it if more Orthodox who are knowledgeable and can have a discussion would participate here. If you know of any, ask them to join.

Have you considered the possibility that you've defeated all of them, including the Great Mor Ephrem?

I don't understand ??? I would welcome such people so that I could have some theological conversations with them. The only things I wish to 'defeat' are silly statements like that one must be in communion with Constantinople to be Orthodox, or that Constantine made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire, or that the Bible canon was settled in the 4th century.

I think all those questions are settled - what makes you think otherwise?  If you can't find the answers after 100,000 posts, what makes you think that the answers will be found after a googolplex of googolplexes number of posts?

"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #23314 on: January 14, 2015, 01:07:15 AM »
The great thing about this forum is how all the sardonic, halfway interested "seekers", never-converting-but-fascinated-with-Orthodoxy heterodox, and barely-Orthodox-for-two-months converts always know better than everyone else (including our seasoned hierarchs and holy fathers) how the Church should be run and feel free to launch into haughty, scathing critiques of the Church all the time.  The only thing better is when the more timid, chickenhearted, Orthodox defer to these folks for fear of looking "pharisaical", "ethnocentric", "triumphalistic", or "judgmental".

I think all those questions are settled - what makes you think otherwise?  If you can't find the answers after 100,000 posts, what makes you think that the answers will be found after a googolplex of googolplexes number of posts?

If I interpret that image literally, for every question that is answered, another one pops up - sometimes repeatedly?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #23315 on: January 14, 2015, 01:10:35 AM »
DC is not the South.

Nope.  It's a twilight zone of nonsense that neither VA or MD claim.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #23316 on: January 14, 2015, 01:24:41 AM »
DC is not the South.

Nope.  It's a twilight zone of nonsense that neither VA or MD claim.

As southern as a cup of boiled peanuts  ;)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #23317 on: January 14, 2015, 01:26:25 AM »
oh goodie...more squabbling
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #23318 on: January 14, 2015, 01:36:07 AM »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23319 on: January 14, 2015, 01:42:21 AM »

You wouldn't understand.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #23320 on: January 14, 2015, 01:45:20 AM »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #23321 on: January 14, 2015, 01:46:24 AM »
Evidently its a Boy's who decorate thing....since thats some mighty fine wallpaper coordination you just picked out......

;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23322 on: January 14, 2015, 01:50:04 AM »
Evidently its a Boy's who decorate thing....since thats some mighty fine wallpaper coordination you just picked out......

;)

Come, it's not that fabulous.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #23323 on: January 14, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »

I you

:-*

Me too!!

AN, that should be declared Post of the Year, hands down.

As soon as I get a chance I'll invite all the knowledgeable Orthodox capable of having a discussion I know to come here and be second-guessed and mocked into oblivion by all of our ultra-witty heterodox and newly-christened regulars who've been emboldened by the Orthodox tendency towards self-deprecation.  Maybe I can even get the Witch of Endor to conjure Fr. John Romanides up for me like the Prophet Samuel, and I can talk him, Fr. Peter Jon Gilquist, Fr. Robert Arida, Professor Valerie Karras, and anyone else the peanut gallery here would like to take a whack at to offer up their services as human piñatas.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #23324 on: January 14, 2015, 09:50:09 AM »
I'm sorry for my part in offending you so much, AN. I'm a fool who speaks too often from his emotions. :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:50:46 AM by Volnutt »
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #23325 on: January 14, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »
And since men hate taking technical direction from a woman, I will later hear that 'I was undiplomatic again and should learn to temper my opinions so as to make things harmonious '

Go me

Wow. You really need a better boss.

Welcome to being a female in the tech industry. I don't really recommend it. ;)

You also get people asking you if you 'really want to do this job, just becaus you like Star Trek that doesn't make you geeky enough for sysadmin'

( and yes. That's a quote)

Again, wow. I worked in IT for quite a while, and we worked with plenty of women (including women managers -- in fact, our VP was a woman), and I still say that you need to find other employment or maybe another part of the country -- cause that's just not how it has to be and it's not right.

It's actually where the team is from more then where I am

Sorry. But WA D.C. Is the the land of non enlightenment as far as I can tell

Ouch the South. If not that, then the infamously-surreal Beltway culture. Regardless, move on. :) Lots of businesses in the Northwest are nice.

DC is not the South.

On the contrary, DC begins the south, starting with VA as well

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #23326 on: January 14, 2015, 12:50:35 PM »
The great thing about this forum is how all the sardonic, halfway interested "seekers", never-converting-but-fascinated-with-Orthodoxy heterodox, and barely-Orthodox-for-two-months converts always know better than everyone else (including our seasoned hierarchs and holy fathers) how the Church should be run and feel free to launch into haughty, scathing critiques of the Church all the time.  The only thing better is when the more timid, chickenhearted, Orthodox defer to these folks for fear of looking "pharisaical", "ethnocentric", "triumphalistic", or "judgmental".

I'd assumed they'd been and fled.

No need to assume, I'm afraid.  :P  :(

Someone referred the other day to a thread from five or six years ago and I was sad when I remembered all of the really interesting posters who have left over the years....
but if you pick and choose what topics you follow or discussions that are of interest there is still a lot of good talk going on today....

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #23327 on: January 14, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »

You wouldn't understand.

How patronizing.  ::) ::)

I understand all right...doesnt mean I agree though....

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #23328 on: January 14, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
I am partial to the dinosaur wallpaper, FWIW.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #23329 on: January 14, 2015, 03:06:43 PM »
As soon as I get a chance I'll invite all the knowledgeable Orthodox capable of having a discussion I know to come here

Much appreciated! :)

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #23330 on: January 14, 2015, 03:29:08 PM »
I'm sorry for my part in offending you so much, AN. I'm a fool who speaks too often from his emotions. :(

It's cool.  It probably comes from watching so much MST3K. You don't know when to turn it off.  ;)

Much appreciated! :)

They're on their way.  In fact, forget the forum.  I'm having the witch beam Fr. John's phantom directly to your living room.  Have a cup of strong Turkish coffee and some scones waiting.  He's gonna pour the coffee right through himself and onto your favorite Barcalounger, but that's the price you pay for communing with the dead.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:45:19 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #23331 on: January 14, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
I am seriously considering going to Australia to teach, for a year perhaps

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #23332 on: January 14, 2015, 05:05:18 PM »

It's cool.  It probably comes from watching so much MST3K. You don't know when to turn it off.  ;)
:laugh: Maybe.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23333 on: January 15, 2015, 01:55:15 AM »
And since men hate taking technical direction from a woman, I will later hear that 'I was undiplomatic again and should learn to temper my opinions so as to make things harmonious '

Go me

Wow. You really need a better boss.

Welcome to being a female in the tech industry. I don't really recommend it. ;)

You also get people asking you if you 'really want to do this job, just becaus you like Star Trek that doesn't make you geeky enough for sysadmin'

( and yes. That's a quote)

Again, wow. I worked in IT for quite a while, and we worked with plenty of women (including women managers -- in fact, our VP was a woman), and I still say that you need to find other employment or maybe another part of the country -- cause that's just not how it has to be and it's not right.

It's actually where the team is from more then where I am

Sorry. But WA D.C. Is the the land of non enlightenment as far as I can tell

Ouch the South. If not that, then the infamously-surreal Beltway culture. Regardless, move on. :) Lots of businesses in the Northwest are nice.

DC is not the South.

On the contrary, DC begins the south, starting with VA as well

No.  DC is a void where there is no Southern charm or Yankee thrift.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #23334 on: January 15, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
I just spoke a guy on the phone named Arius.  Who names their kid Arius?  :o

I even confirmed the spelling just because I had a hard time believing that someone actually had the name Arius.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23335 on: January 15, 2015, 05:00:18 PM »

I even confirmed the spelling just because I had a hard time believing that someone actually had the name Arius.

Did you slap him?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23336 on: January 15, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »

Did you slap him?

Quote from: Apostolic Canon 27
If a bishop, presbyter, or deacon shall strike any of the faithful who have sinned, or of the unbelievers who have done wrong, with the intention of frightening them, we command that he be deposed. For our Lord has by no means taught us to do so, but, on the contrary, when he was smitten he smote not again, when he was reviled he reviled not again, when he suffered he threatened not.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23337 on: January 15, 2015, 05:04:31 PM »
I saw a family of seven ducks in front of a house down the street.

I love them! :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #23338 on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »
My Dad had a classmate named Virmadel.  For Virginia/Maryland/Delaware.  Maybe they mean Arizona, USA.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23339 on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »

Did you slap him?
I need to be chrismated with the name Nicholas first.  :P
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23340 on: January 15, 2015, 05:06:15 PM »

:D

Think they're passing thru or there to stay?

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23341 on: January 15, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »

Did you slap him?

If a bishop, presbyter, or deacon shall strike any of the faithful who have sinned, or of the unbelievers who have done wrong, with the intention of frightening them, we command that he be deposed. For our Lord has by no means taught us to do so, but, on the contrary, when he was smitten he smote not again, when he was reviled he reviled not again, when he suffered he threatened not.

Tris is not in the priesthood.....and St. Nicholas was forgiven.  What's your point?

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #23342 on: January 15, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »

I think I've heard it used for a fiction character too.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23343 on: January 15, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »

Did you slap him?

Tris is not in the priesthood.....and St. Nicholas was forgiven.  What's your point?

What's your point?

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23344 on: January 15, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »

Did you slap him?

What's your point?

You quoted canon.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23345 on: January 15, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »

Did you slap him?

What's your point?

You quoted canon.

You objected.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #23346 on: January 15, 2015, 05:15:26 PM »
The more I spend time here, the more I feel that quoting canons should be an offence for which one must undergo penance unless you can prove you have at least a seminary degree or equivalent training and/or an episcopal endorsement. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23347 on: January 15, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
The more I spend time here, the more I feel that quoting canons should be an offence for which one must undergo penance unless you can prove you have at least a seminary degree or equivalent training and/or an episcopal endorsement. 

And citing anecdotes about saints?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23348 on: January 15, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »
The laity is obligated to quote canon law at one another and hurl anathemas until all are excommunicated from the Church. Any interference will result in in the title arch-heretic, for this is the faith of our Holy Fathers.
   - Canon XIX Council of OC.net

Sorry Arch-Heretic Mor Ephrem.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #23349 on: January 15, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »

And citing anecdotes about saints?

Lots of kids play with sticks, but bad stuff happens when they play with guns.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23350 on: January 15, 2015, 05:33:03 PM »
I agree with what you said actually (and would even go farther and say the lives of the Saints are perhaps the thing most suited to lay understanding) -- but I get pretty sick of the constant puerile references to St. Nicholas.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #23351 on: January 15, 2015, 05:37:58 PM »
I agree with what you said actually (and would even go farther and say the lives of the Saints are perhaps the thing most suited to lay understanding) -- but I get pretty sick of the constant puerile references to St. Nicholas.

Thank God, St. Nicholas has a stay at home martyr to defend him!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23352 on: January 15, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »

Thank God, St. Nicholas has a stay at home martyr to defend him!

No need. He's under no attack from me, just commentary on the way he's abused by American boys lately.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #23353 on: January 15, 2015, 08:59:17 PM »

Did you slap him?

What's your point?

You quoted canon.

You objected.

^A favorite film of mine.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #23354 on: January 15, 2015, 09:45:59 PM »

Just for you, Biro:

.... and the story behind the photo:

http://www.pageaday.com/calendar/2015/cats/jan/15

:)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:48:06 PM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?