Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5550635 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #23130 on: December 30, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »
My wife just texted me and said that an egg sag of spiders opened in our Christmas tree and now our house is infested with spiders.  I guess this is what I get for introducing pagan, druidistic elements into our celebration of the Holy Nativity of Christ.  :(

Spiders are good. You want spiders. Check a web next time you think of it and see just how many mosquitoes they can catch.
If there were tons of mosquitoes in my house, perhaps I could convince my wife of that.  As such, she has already notified me that the Christmas tree will be out of our house by the time I get home.  :laugh:

Does she think the spiderlings will follow it back to the dump? I don't think their loyalty lies that way.
It is best not to question the womenfolk when they get something in their head. It only leads to anguish.
God bless!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #23131 on: December 30, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
My wife just texted me and said that an egg sag of spiders opened in our Christmas tree and now our house is infested with spiders.  I guess this is what I get for introducing pagan, druidistic elements into our celebration of the Holy Nativity of Christ.  :(

Spiders are good. You want spiders. Check a web next time you think of it and see just how many mosquitoes they can catch.
If there were tons of mosquitoes in my house, perhaps I could convince my wife of that.  As such, she has already notified me that the Christmas tree will be out of our house by the time I get home.  :laugh:

Does she think the spiderlings will follow it back to the dump? I don't think their loyalty lies that way.
It is best not to question the womenfolk when they get something in their head. It only leads to anguish.

You should man up and become Orthodox.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23132 on: December 30, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »

You should man up and become Orthodox.
Tell that to my priest.  ;)
God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #23133 on: December 30, 2014, 05:22:17 PM »
Why not buy a fake tree instead? It saves a lot of hassle each year.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:22:32 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #23134 on: December 30, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »

So does a polyester tuxedo, but if I know you you wouldn't do that.

No, seriously, the purpose of bringing greenery into the house is to maintain a sense of nature and life in spite of deep winter. Another plastic article isn't serving that purpose.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23135 on: December 30, 2014, 05:25:59 PM »
Heresy. I expect the next thing you will recommend is buying pine scented candles and pretend that is it the tree too, right?
God bless!

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #23136 on: December 30, 2014, 05:27:40 PM »
I just want/need my bank to switch to EMV chips already

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23137 on: December 30, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »
lol, I had never heard of these until this week and I was at a store and when I pulled out my credit card, and the cashier asked me if it was a chip card. I just stared at him blankly and said no since I had no idea what that meant.
God bless!

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #23138 on: December 30, 2014, 05:36:44 PM »
lol, I had never heard of these until this week and I was at a store and when I pulled out my credit card, and the cashier asked me if it was a chip card. I just stared at him blankly and said no since I had no idea what that meant.

the us is so far behind, and i hate being looked at weirdly when im in ontario because my card doesnt have a chip in it.

not to mention the security concerns of magnetic stripes
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:37:06 PM by TheMathematician »

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #23139 on: December 30, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
Who needs the newfangled stuff when you have paper bank notes silver coins?

Tangable money is where it's at.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:40:57 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #23140 on: December 30, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »

the us is so far behind, and i hate being looked at weirdly when im in ontario because my card doesnt have a chip in it.

Think of it as a penance for being un-American enough to leave the country......
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23141 on: December 30, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »
I'm in favor of iron ingots like Sparta.

God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23142 on: December 30, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »
That doesn't look like Sparta.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23143 on: December 30, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
That doesn't look like Sparta.
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. Elder Scrolls and Sparta are pretty interchangeable.
God bless!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #23144 on: December 30, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »

Wait, your credit cards still don't have chips? I thought everyone in the West had switched to those by now.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23145 on: December 30, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »

Wait, your credit cards still don't have chips? I thought everyone in the West had switched to those by now.

nope.  As usual America has caved into the 'its too expensive for the vendors to change their systems'  lobby........
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23146 on: December 30, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
Refined sugar has similar effects to cocaine. However, it has worse consequences to health, and it is legal. Alcohol and marijuana are both depressants. However, the first has much worse effects on the health and is legal.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23147 on: December 30, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
Refined sugar has similar effects to cocaine. However, it has worse consequences to health, and it is legal. Alcohol and marijuana are both depressants. However, the first has much worse effects on the health and is legal.
How is this true? Do you have to snort the sugar?
God bless!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23148 on: December 30, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
How is this true? Do you have to snort the sugar?

It's a strong stimulant that adults develop a great tolerance to. And, no, you take it orally. :-P As for its bad side effects, the nursing homes are packed with examples. It's the American killer.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #23149 on: December 30, 2014, 07:25:18 PM »

nope.  As usual America has caved into the 'its too expensive for the vendors to change their systems'  lobby........

it's in the process now though, with the liability being shifted in october 2015

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23150 on: December 30, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »

it's in the process now though, with the liability being shifted in october 2015

Considering cards in the UK had them when I lived there in 2001-2003, it's the same lag as text messaging

I came back and realized I went back in time as no one here knew what a text was. 

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23151 on: December 30, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »

No kidding? You can die from chewing jawbreakers?
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23152 on: December 30, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »

Not black widow spiders, though. Nuh-uh. One of them almost bit my brother, when we were little. Black widow spiders are jerks.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23153 on: December 31, 2014, 01:08:40 AM »

No kidding? You can die from chewing jawbreakers?

You can. Usually tho you just get such health defects you could wish you were dead. Most people who suffer before death and require nursing care do so as a result of "the American diet." While, on the other hand, you have to be taking extreme amounts of cocaine in extreme concentration before you suffer health effects. Cocaine was used widely, especially in armies, without marked problems -- in fact, most of what we know about the ills of cocaine didn't come to light until the invention of crack.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #23154 on: December 31, 2014, 02:24:02 AM »

Well I don't know about that. From what I remember our banks just started handing out cards with both a chip and a magnetic stripe. I believe our vendors just gradually started to go with the flow when more people had cards with chips. Your banks hadn't done the same?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:28:57 AM by Alpo »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #23155 on: December 31, 2014, 02:32:40 AM »
I have a microchip in my forehead.  Vendors scan my head so that I may pay for merchandise.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #23156 on: December 31, 2014, 02:45:47 AM »
Special price only for you!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23157 on: December 31, 2014, 03:36:05 AM »
Special price only for you!

Lol, Romanians.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23158 on: December 31, 2014, 05:16:20 AM »
         “When her confession was ended, I said to her, ‘Think you, lady, that you will pass to the Kingdom of heaven when you die?’
         “She replied, ‘This believe I firmly.’
         “Said I, ‘That would be a marvel. You were born in a fortress and bred in castles and for many years now you have lived with your husband the Lord Duke even in midst of manifold delights, with wine and ale and meat and venison—and yet you expect to fly away to heaven directly you die.’
         “She answered, ‘Beloved Father, why should I not now go to heaven? I have lived here in this castle like a [nun] in a cell. What delights or pleasures have I enjoyed here, save that I have made shift to show a happy face to my servants and gentlewomen? I have a hard husband, as you know, who has scarce any care or inclination towards women. Have I not been in this castle even as it were in a cell?’ “
—From the fifteenth-century memoir of a Saxon priest

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #23159 on: December 31, 2014, 06:09:55 AM »
         “When her confession was ended, I said to her, ‘Think you, lady, that you will pass to the Kingdom of heaven when you die?’
         “She replied, ‘This believe I firmly.’
         “Said I, ‘That would be a marvel. You were born in a fortress and bred in castles and for many years now you have lived with your husband the Lord Duke even in midst of manifold delights, with wine and ale and meat and venison—and yet you expect to fly away to heaven directly you die.’
         “She answered, ‘Beloved Father, why should I not now go to heaven? I have lived here in this castle like a [nun] in a cell. What delights or pleasures have I enjoyed here, save that I have made shift to show a happy face to my servants and gentlewomen? I have a hard husband, as you know, who has scarce any care or inclination towards women. Have I not been in this castle even as it were in a cell?’ “
—From the fifteenth-century memoir of a Saxon priest

I like that. Thank you for sharing.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #23160 on: December 31, 2014, 07:05:04 AM »
Of all the people to interview about the local New Year's ball drop, the TV reporter had to pick a person that had a big wad of chewing gum in their mouth.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23161 on: December 31, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »
I overheard a man today, about age 40-45, say to a woman who was also about age 40-45: "Thank you young lady." So, a question for the ladies: would you find this kind of comment patronizing, or would you take it as a compliment or polite remark (as it was probably intended), or would you take it in some other way? Or are there too many variables to give a general answer?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:28:09 PM by Justin Kissel »
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #23162 on: December 31, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice. Pls email me, don't send PMs.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23163 on: January 01, 2015, 12:19:49 AM »
The year of the Mother begins in September, the year of the Son in December, but I like that the mundane year -- the year of men, as it were -- begins with St. Basil's day, that great pastor of humankind.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23164 on: January 01, 2015, 01:46:48 AM »
Not just for Bible translations anymore...

The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost 

Original text:
I shall be telling this with a sigh, Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

...43 translations later, Yandex gives us:
I'm in the middle of this city, in the woods, two dimensional, not this time, I'll tell you the difference.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23165 on: January 01, 2015, 01:56:06 AM »
Henry V, Act 3, Scene 1
by William Shakespeare

Original text:
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;

Missing rear side effects, when I like my friends, or the walls of the world in English, and is close to death, not to bother people, unobtrusive service, But when the war began, the Holy Spirit, in your ears, and you love animals, it will strengthen Noah, tendons and bones, and a good place with one hand, and anger

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #23166 on: January 01, 2015, 02:01:59 AM »

Original text:

"Advance our standards! set upon our foes! Our ancient word of courage, fair Saint George, Inspire us with the spleen of fiery dragons! Upon them! Victory sits upon our helms. "

"This level of opponent! Courage, and said that it's not equal access. George We are a horse, we invite You to the fire dragon! !!!! You! Hat transmission. "
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #23167 on: January 01, 2015, 05:51:04 AM »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23168 on: January 01, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »
“It seems most strange to me that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, shall come when it shall come.”
—William Shakespeare

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #23169 on: January 01, 2015, 02:54:42 PM »
I just remembered that I, yes I (ha ha!) started this thread just over nine years ago and still it lives on is great waves of weirdness making for an ocean of oddity and, dare I write, entertaining fun!.  8)

I quite like the "43 translations later" quotes.   :D
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #23170 on: January 01, 2015, 07:02:24 PM »
There were 5,188 posts on this thread in 2013.

There were 3,777 posts on this thread in 2014; although I was unable to make this post the first one on the thread for 2015 (like I did for 2014).   :(

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #23171 on: January 01, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
Hat Transmission is a good name for a band.

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #23172 on: January 01, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »
Heresy. I expect the next thing you will recommend is buying pine scented candles and pretend that is it the tree too, right?

Pine scented candles are delicious. 

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #23173 on: January 01, 2015, 11:17:56 PM »

There were 3,777 posts on this thread in 2014; although I was unable to make this post the first one on the thread for 2015 (like I did for 2014).   :(

Is that some kind of record?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #23174 on: January 01, 2015, 11:33:25 PM »

Is that some kind of record?

The number of posts in this thread decreased from 2013 to 2014.  I haven't counted the posts on this thread for other years.