Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5551510 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #22950 on: December 03, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
I'm flying to Louisiana today.  Fun times. I'll be back Friday night, God willing.

Business or pleasure?
Business, although I might mix in some pleasure.  :P
I hope everyone speaks to you unintelligibly to the point that you will beg for a nice Southern drawl from a Waffle House waitress.  So mote it be.
Don't worry, I will briskly walk past all of them without so much as a "Hi" in true northern fashion.  I will also be wearing a t-shirt and shorts because it is in the 60's which will give you thin blooded southerners goosebumps just thinking about it.

I'm very much enjoying the weather.  It does make me chuckle seeing people out with scarves right now.

Maybe they're wearing them not because it's cold but because some nice person knit them for them. 
Please Mor, they are southerners. Don't give them the benefit of the doubt.  You have to keep them under your thumb at all times or they start revolts.

We don't need your stinking Amish furniture, with fine craftsmanship and clean lines.
Don't make me come marching through Georgia to come whip your... butt.

Sherman only did it to go see his girl in Savannah.  His game was off, otherwise his destruction would have been far more widespread.  What's your excuse?
Maybe if Savannah had a girl worth seeing...
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #22951 on: December 03, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
I'm flying to Louisiana today.  Fun times. I'll be back Friday night, God willing.

Business or pleasure?
I hope everyone speaks to you unintelligibly to the point that you will beg for a nice Southern drawl from a Waffle House waitress.  So mote it be.
Don't worry, I will briskly walk past all of them without so much as a "Hi" in true northern fashion.  I will also be wearing a t-shirt and shorts because it is in the 60's which will give you thin blooded southerners goosebumps just thinking about it.

I'm very much enjoying the weather.  It does make me chuckle seeing people out with scarves right now.

Maybe they're wearing them not because it's cold but because some nice person knit them for them. 
Please Mor, they are southerners. Don't give them the benefit of the doubt.  You have to keep them under your thumb at all times or they start revolts.

We don't need your stinking Amish furniture, with fine craftsmanship and clean lines.

Sherman only did it to go see his girl in Savannah.  His game was off, otherwise his destruction would have been far more widespread.  What's your excuse?
There's more to life than Carrie Underwood drones, although there are those in Savannah.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22952 on: December 03, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
Humdrum style broke the internet and revealed the stepchildren from us, but YouTube fixed the near-fatal glitch.
Facts unloading, please to wait

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22953 on: December 03, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »
The above is an example of the fine, helpful job done by my autocorrect. Thanks kindle.  ::)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22954 on: December 03, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »

Business or pleasure?

There's more to life than Carrie Underwood drones, although there are those in Savannah.
Why travel all the way down there when I can find beautiful PA Dutch women up here?

God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22955 on: December 03, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
Hey, girl.  I'll always help you up in the buggy first.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #22956 on: December 03, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »
Opioids affect all faculties -- of perception, of expression, of movement or strength -- making one unusually aware of all that works together to make up Man.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22957 on: December 03, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »
Why does the entire English-speaking world, including her dictionaries, refuse properly to pronounce fuchsia?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22958 on: December 03, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Why does the entire English-speaking world, including her dictionaries, refuse properly to pronounce fuchsia?

What's the proper pronunciation?

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #22959 on: December 03, 2014, 05:26:04 PM »

Fuck-see-ah

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22960 on: December 03, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »

Fuck-see-ah

According to whom? I mean, it would be awesome if it were.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22961 on: December 03, 2014, 05:34:13 PM »

It's pretty easy to tell. It's a Latin word from a German surname. Dictionary.com can't pull the wool over my eyes. ;)

Also -- extra hint -- even in English at no time does "chs" say "sh."

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22962 on: December 03, 2014, 05:45:03 PM »
try consulting the OED online and listening to the pronunciation [UK and US]
'fewsha'
kyrie eleison

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22963 on: December 03, 2014, 05:46:31 PM »

Um, I don't think we need to go into detail on that.  :-[
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22964 on: December 03, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »
Porter, if 'the entire English [speaking?] world' says it one way and you say it another, has it occurred to you that you might be wrong?
kyrie eleison

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #22965 on: December 03, 2014, 05:52:37 PM »

Fuck-see-ah

According to whom?

Me, I guess. That's how I've always heard it pronounced. If it supposed to be German it might be closer to Fook-see-ah.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22966 on: December 03, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »

It's pretty easy to tell. It's a Latin word from a German surname. Dictionary.com can't pull the wool over my eyes. ;)

I suppose you pronounce all borrowed words in the same way as they were pronounced in their source languages?

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22967 on: December 03, 2014, 05:58:52 PM »

Fuck-see-ah

According to whom?

Me, I guess. That's how I've always heard it pronounced. If it supposed to be German it might be closer to Fook-see-ah.

The dictionary pronunciation is "fyoo-shuh" and that's how I pronounce it. If I wanted to pronounce it like German I would use the German word Fuchsie.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22968 on: December 03, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »
I wonder if some taboo deformation isn't responsible for the English pronunciation, however. It seems to have been borrowed too late to undergo all the necessary sound changes to get the form we have today.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22969 on: December 03, 2014, 06:22:40 PM »

I suppose you pronounce all borrowed words in the same way as they were pronounced in their source languages?

There are conventions for adapting foreign words into English. "Fuksha" would be a normal adaptation. There might be others. No way no how could "Foosha" be the result of normal adaptation -- in neither the source languages nor in English is "chs" pronounced "sh."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22970 on: December 03, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
I wonder if some taboo deformation isn't responsible for the English pronunciation, however. It seems to have been borrowed too late to undergo all the necessary sound changes to get the form we have today.

Well of course that's what it is. Nobody in this strange and squeamish country wants to pronounce the first syllable the obvious way.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22971 on: December 03, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »

Well of course that's what it is. Nobody in this strange and squeamish country wants to pronounce the first syllable the obvious way.

Do you enjoy the looks you get when you pronounce it "properly"?  ;D

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22972 on: December 03, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »
I can't wait until the keyboard for my kindle gets here, this putting in letters one tedious tap at a time is getting really frustrating. Plus I have a virus on my main computer, which is causing it to be more frustrating to use as well.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #22973 on: December 04, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »
I went to see a Jewish play today. I really liked it. It made me think yet again that I need to read something about Judaism at some point. Jews are part of European history after all  so it's a shame really that I know hardly anything about their religion.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:55:55 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #22974 on: December 04, 2014, 07:13:05 PM »
On the NC, today is the feast of St. Barbara - she's been one of my favorites since middle school.

Happy name's day to any Barbaras we have here!
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #22975 on: December 05, 2014, 01:53:50 AM »
Im going to do it, im going to open my own restaurant

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22976 on: December 05, 2014, 01:57:02 AM »

What kind?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #22977 on: December 05, 2014, 02:06:06 AM »
Korean pop star Psy has received so many views on YouTube that Google had to recode their website from 32 bit integers (which was good for only 2.1 billion views) to 64 bit integers.  Now Psy is good for 922 quintillion views - which will probably be reached by 2017 or thereabouts   :P ....

Justin beat me to it with Reply No. 22,952; however, I provided more details.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:09:33 AM by SolEX01 »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #22978 on: December 05, 2014, 02:07:24 AM »

Will it be mathematically themed?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #22979 on: December 05, 2014, 02:38:31 AM »
Korean pop star Psy has received so many views on YouTube that Google had to recode their website from 32 bit integers (which was good for only 2.1 billion views) to 64 bit integers.  Now Psy is good for 922 quintillion 9.22 sextillion views - which will probably be reached by 2017 or thereabouts   :P ....

Justin beat me to it with Reply No. 22,952; however, I provided more details.   :laugh:

Need to work on math.   :-[

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22980 on: December 05, 2014, 03:01:20 AM »

Congratulations! :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #22981 on: December 05, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »
Korean pop star Psy has received so many views on YouTube that Google had to recode their website from 32 bit integers (which was good for only 2.1 billion views) to 64 bit integers.  Now Psy is good for 922 quintillion 9.22 sextillion 9.22 quintillion views - which will probably be reached by 2017 or thereabouts   :P ....

Need to work on math.   :-[

Arrgghhh, 9.22 quintillion.   :-[

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #22982 on: December 05, 2014, 07:32:41 PM »

Congratulations! :)

Thank you, and lots of planning still but it's going to happen

Will it be mathematically themed?

What kind?
I'm looking at the trends and it looks like locally grown produce and freshly grown is the hottest trend now, along with fusion cuisine.

As long as it's local, the food itself will eb the star with if someone wants a classic bouillabaisse with a side of fried rice, then that's what'll happen

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #22983 on: December 05, 2014, 07:36:14 PM »
In addition, my aim is to make fine dining accessible to the middle class. Rich dress code and food without as high food costs, if possible.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22984 on: December 05, 2014, 07:40:05 PM »
Have you managed a restaurant before?

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #22985 on: December 05, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »
David Koyzis, a noted political science professor, has a blog where he identifies himself as a "Byzantine Rite Calvinist". What exactly that means, I don't know.

If you follow the Regulative Principle it's hard to see how much of the distinctive Byzantine (or Latin, or Armenian, or Coptic) liturgical patrimony can possibly remain once you've sheared off everything that isn't "specifically commanded in Scripture" (or rather, Scripture interpreted through the prism of Westminster, Dordt, the Institutes, or whatever).

So what, exactly, is a Byzantine Rite Calvinist?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:55:04 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22986 on: December 05, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
.....probably a prot. who gets incensed at icons [ or who does the censing.]
And Calvin, by the way, is[was] a vegetarian.
When he was angry, his 'choler' arose and he became a leafy green vegetable, somewhat on the overdone side.
Swiss chard
kyrie eleison

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22987 on: December 05, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »
 and if I had a name like 'David Whosis' I think I'd be having an identity crisis as well.
kyrie eleison

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #22988 on: December 05, 2014, 10:43:25 PM »
David Koyzis, a noted political science professor, has a blog where he identifies himself as a "Byzantine Rite Calvinist". What exactly that means, I don't know.

If you follow the Regulative Principle it's hard to see how much of the distinctive Byzantine (or Latin, or Armenian, or Coptic) liturgical patrimony can possibly remain once you've sheared off everything that isn't "specifically commanded in Scripture" (or rather, Scripture interpreted through the prism of Westminster, Dordt, the Institutes, or whatever).

My best guess would be that he's assuming that the early Jerusalem church would have wanted to replicate the Temple worship as closely as possible and that this somehow evolved into the Byzantine liturgy.

I think I respect that position more than I do Phil Johnson's attempt to use the Didache as a justification for Evangelical minimalism, but it still seems dodgy.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #22989 on: December 07, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »

Someone who is seriously confused.

I'm NOT being flippant.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #22990 on: December 08, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
Batman gives Santa a ride to the hospital and public school in São Paulo

Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22991 on: December 08, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »

Someone who is seriously confused.

I'm NOT being flippant.

You're certainly being charitable. :)

Raylight

« Reply #22992 on: December 08, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »
I think I'm addicted to Starbucks. Oh well, I guess it is better than other type of addictions  ;D

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
« Reply #22993 on: December 08, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
I think I'm addicted to Starbucks. Oh well, I guess it is better than other type of addictions  ;D
always preferred Tim Horton's compared to the base of anything starbucks had. and for fancy drinks, Wegmans/SPoT is superior

Raylight

« Reply #22994 on: December 08, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »
I think I'm addicted to Starbucks. Oh well, I guess it is better than other type of addictions  ;D
always preferred Tim Horton's compared to the base of anything starbucks had. and for fancy drinks, Wegmans/SPoT is superior

The first day I came here, my friends told me I have to switch from Starbuck to Tim Horton's. I might try it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:15:14 PM by Raylight »