Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5890016 times)

Offline methodius

• Elder
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #22770 on: November 07, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »
ahhh; oops!

I guess he  got sprung just in time for NZ Spring.
kyrie eleison

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #22771 on: November 08, 2014, 02:24:40 AM »

Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22772 on: November 08, 2014, 03:46:39 AM »
Goodness! A thanksgiving turkey?  Nice colour on the skin; I hope it was tender and juicy inside.
  I hope that all my American friends had a pleasant holiday.

Methodius.
kyrie eleison

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22773 on: November 08, 2014, 03:52:02 AM »
It's just a breast.

Thanksgiving hasn't happened in the US just yet. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #22774 on: November 10, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »
Is potato vodka better than wheat vodka?

Raylight

« Reply #22775 on: November 10, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
Question; Why Cyrillic's avatar most of the time is a picture of some old, classy type of clothes/men ? Not that there is anything wrong about it but I'm just curious.  :)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22776 on: November 10, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
Question; Why Cyrillic's avatar most of the time is a picture of some old, classy type of clothes/men ? Not that there is anything wrong about it but I'm just curious.  :)
Because that is how Cyrillic dresses.

Seriously.
God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22777 on: November 10, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »
Because that is how Cyrillic dresses.

Seriously.

Actually, I wore the clothes you see in my avatar to dinner this very day. Minus the hat, that is.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:52:54 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #22778 on: November 10, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »

Actually, I wore the clothes you see in my avatar this very day.

oooh another evening out!  ;D
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22779 on: November 10, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »
For the record, I don't usually dress too formal. White tie and three piece suits are mostly limited to a few times per month. My day to day wear consists of button-up shirts, sport jackets and trousers.

That being said, I like la dolce vita.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:05:04 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #22780 on: November 10, 2014, 06:13:11 PM »
For the record, I don't usually dress too formal. White tie and three piece suits are mostly limited to a few times per month. My day to day wear consists of button-up shirts, sport jackets and trousers.

I don't usually dress formally. Just from mondays to sundays.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22781 on: November 10, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »

Formal dress does not mean what you think it means.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22782 on: November 10, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »

Formal dress does not mean what you think it means.

How should I know. I'm just a poor old hipster without any friends.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22783 on: November 10, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »
I'm just a poor old hipster without any friends.

Awww, I'll be your friend.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #22784 on: November 11, 2014, 12:14:59 AM »

Because his closet is quite full.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22785 on: November 11, 2014, 02:26:48 AM »
Does he have a special 'anathema' for moths?
kyrie eleison

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #22786 on: November 11, 2014, 05:23:30 PM »
fun fact: For me to leave 15 minutes later to get to school, i get there quicker than i would if i left 15 minutes before

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #22787 on: November 11, 2014, 11:44:58 PM »
Reading Rev. NT Wright while having evo tv on is fantastic, especially when the maniac on TV is an old British guy trying to argue with atheist teenagers around Oxford.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #22788 on: November 12, 2014, 12:39:45 AM »
Wow Evos are really running at break neck speed to appropriate the accoutrement of higher liturgic traditions.

In think odox should see this stuff and ask themselves why this is being done. What does it say about their appropriation of ancient practices that such practices and objects are being so openly embraced and sold by those belonging to a faith which would seem to be rather other than their own.

Of course I am not holding my breath for any odox to take seriously their own role in any of this.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #22789 on: November 12, 2014, 03:17:37 AM »
fun fact: For me to leave 15 minutes later to get to school, i get there quicker than i would if i left 15 minutes before
And in that 15 minutes you could have saved a lot of money on your auto insurance by switching to GEICO. :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:18:10 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22790 on: November 12, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
Wouldn't you like to drink beer with this man?  Wow.  To Mr Overton and other vets like you, this Bud's for you.  :)

Meet America’s oldest living vet. He smokes cigars, does yard work, drives and drinks whiskey. And he’s 108.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/national/wp/2014/11/11/meet-americas-oldest-living-vet-he-smokes-cigars-does-yard-work-drives-and-drinks-whisky-and-hes-108/

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #22791 on: November 12, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »
Wouldn't you like to drink beer with this man?  Wow.  To Mr Overton and other vets like you, this Bud's for you.  :)

Meet America’s oldest living vet. He smokes cigars, does yard work, drives and drinks whiskey. And he’s 108.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/national/wp/2014/11/11/meet-americas-oldest-living-vet-he-smokes-cigars-does-yard-work-drives-and-drinks-whisky-and-hes-108/

If this guy has been smoking cigars all this time and is 108, I want his genes!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #22792 on: November 12, 2014, 11:38:37 AM »

Lord have mercy.  I find this man to be inspirational in every sense of the word, most especially his unfeigned and genuine humility (despite all he could justifiably boast of) and his obvious, matter-of-fact faith in God.  It's clear that he could care less that people are making a big deal about him.  He'd be just as content living his day-to-day life - which includes daily prayer, both at home and in church, and ministering to widows - as he is with people lining up to shake his hand and chauffeuring him around to meet the Leader of the Free World.  He's like a monk who's been made a bishop and accepts the people kissing his hand as part and parcel of his duty, but who would rather be in his cell.  He could take or leave being famous, which is refreshing in a world in which everyone wants their "15 minutes" whether they've done anything to merit them or not.  It's also impressive that he's kept himself - or more accurately, as he himself declares it, God has kept him - in such great shape when I've met many folks far younger than him for whom mobility, et cetera, is a challenge.  God bless and keep him.  Many years, Mr. Overton!
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22793 on: November 12, 2014, 12:13:48 PM »

Lord have mercy.  I find this man to be inspirational in every sense of the word, most especially his unfeigned and genuine humility (despite all he could justifiably boast of) and his obvious, matter-of-fact faith in God.  It's clear that he could care less that people are making a big deal about him.  He'd be just as content living his day-to-day life - which includes daily prayer, both at home and in church, and ministering to widows - as he is with people lining up to shake his hand and chauffeuring him around to meet the Leader of the Free World.  He's like a monk who's been made a bishop and accepts the people kissing his hand as part and parcel of his duty, but who would rather be in his cell.  He could take or leave being famous, which is refreshing in a world in which everyone wants their "15 minutes" whether they've done anything to merit them or not.  It's also impressive that he's kept himself - or more accurately, as he himself declares it, God has kept him - in such great shape when I've met many folks far younger than him for whom mobility, et cetera, is a challenge.  God bless and keep him.  Many years, Mr. Overton!

With all those cigars and whiskey, it sounds like God kept him in good shape despite himself! I'm looking forward to the next edition of Cigar Aficionado using him as "proof" that regular cigar consumption prolongs life (they actually did that with George Burns).

Anyway, it's awesome to see such an old guy clearly enjoy life and not spend his last years drooling in a corner of some retirement home.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22794 on: November 12, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »
With all those cigars and whiskey, it sounds like God kept him in good shape despite himself!

Think there's anything to the medicinal drop of whiskey in the coffee he mentions? I've read there is, but I'm no doctor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/234957.stm

I'm looking forward to the next edition of Cigar Aficionado using him as "proof" that regular cigar consumption prolongs life (they actually did that with George Burns).

In all seriousness, I'd like to know more.  How did cigars prolong George's life?  I've read he credited his long life to receiving a full body massage every day, same as Bob Hope.  (Who doesn't wish they had that luxury?)

Anyway, it's awesome to see such an old guy clearly enjoy life and not spend his last years drooling in a corner of some retirement home.

I know, right?  May God keep him in the same clarity of mind and soundness of body.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #22795 on: November 12, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »
His DNA must be preserved. Imagine finding the gene that helps counter the harmful effects of smoking! I would be having my daily sheesha :P
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22796 on: November 12, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
With all those cigars and whiskey, it sounds like God kept him in good shape despite himself!

Think there's anything to the medicinal drop of whiskey in the coffee he mentions? I've read there is, but I'm no doctor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/234957.stm

I'm looking forward to the next edition of Cigar Aficionado using him as "proof" that regular cigar consumption prolongs life (they actually did that with George Burns).

In all seriousness, I'd like to know more.  How did cigars prolong George's life?  I've read he credited his long life to receiving a full body massage every day, same as Bob Hope.  (Who doesn't wish they had that luxury?)

I know, right?  May God keep him in the same clarity of mind and soundness of body.

It's possible that the whisky helped, but according to that article, the benefits are only apparent if consumption is limited to once a week. It sounds like Overton is a daily tippler.

Here is the piece about George Burns. I don't think it's really meant to be taken seriously, but the author does make the extraordinary claim that Burns lived so long precisely because he smoked so many cigars. The argument seems to be "Burns smokes lots of cigars. Burns is very old. Ergo, cigar smoking caused Burns' longevity".

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22797 on: November 12, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »
His DNA must be preserved. Imagine finding the gene that helps counter the harmful effects of smoking! I would be having my daily sheesha :P

Get thee behind me, Mina!  I used to enjoy an occasional cigar (and I wouldn't turn down a hit on the shisha) before an Ethiopian geron I respect very much told me that smoking was like spitting in the face of God.  Needless to say, I quit cold turkey.

Here is the piece about George Burns. I don't think it's really meant to be taken seriously, but the author does make the extraordinary claim that Burns lived so long precisely because he smoked so many cigars. The argument seems to be "Burns smokes lots of cigars. Burns is very old. Ergo, cigar smoking caused Burns' longevity".

Thanks for that!  It was worth the read even if it wasn't necessarily medically accurate.  George Burns interviewed by Groucho's son and served by one of Jack Benny's writers!  In a word: charming.  :)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22798 on: November 12, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »
Sleepless in Helsinki. It's 3am and I am still awake. Should be at work at 8am. Can't wait for the lousy jokes I'll crack at work due to being too tired for any rational or civilized behaviour.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22799 on: November 12, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »

Get thee behind me, Mina!  I used to enjoy an occasional cigar (and I wouldn't turn down a hit on the shisha) before an Ethiopian geron I respect very much told me that smoking was like spitting in the face of God.  Needless to say, I quit cold turkey.

Thanks for that!  It was worth the read even if it wasn't necessarily medically accurate.  George Burns interviewed by Groucho's son and served by one of Jack Benny's writers!  In a word: charming.  :)

It just occurred to me that the causation could run the other way: living a long time may cause one to smoke lots of cigars.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22800 on: November 12, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »
Sleepless in Helsinki. It's 3am and I am still awake. Should be at work at 8am. Can't wait for the lousy jokes I'll crack at work due to being too tired for any rational or civilized behaviour.

I thought all you Finns hibernated during winter.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #22801 on: November 12, 2014, 09:19:35 PM »

It just occurred to me that the causation could run the other way: living a long time may cause one to smoke lots of cigars.

So do you think he started smoking at 80?

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22802 on: November 12, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »

I know for a fact he started smoking much earlier. I was simply playing with the whole "correlation = causation" premise of the article I linked to.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #22803 on: November 12, 2014, 09:42:21 PM »

I know for a fact he started smoking much earlier. I was simply playing with the whole "correlation = causation" premise of the article I linked to.

Oh yes...but you can tell, he was also very very active.  He said he was almost 100 when he quit his furniture work.  It seems to me what a lot of centenarians have in common is that they were not sedentary.  That says a lot!

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #22804 on: November 12, 2014, 09:44:43 PM »

His, the DNA of Keith Richards, and of Iggy Pop.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:45:00 PM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22805 on: November 12, 2014, 09:56:08 PM »

Oh yes...but you can tell, he was also very very active.  He said he was almost 100 when he quit his furniture work.  It seems to me what a lot of centenarians have in common is that they were not sedentary.  That says a lot!

Good point, though one could nit-pick and argue that their genes for longevity are what allowed them to remain physically active so late in life.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #22806 on: November 12, 2014, 09:59:04 PM »

Good point, though one could nit-pick and argue that their genes for longevity are what allowed them to remain physically active so late in life.

Which is precisely why I want his DNA  ;D

There's a saying in the medical community.  You either die from complications of something vascular (heart attack, stroke, etc.) or you live long enough (or short enough) to find yourself have cancer.  Centenarians have neither, and you will also find they take very little meds.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:01:30 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22807 on: November 12, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »

Which is precisely why I want his DNA  ;D

There's a saying in the medical community.  You either die from complications of something vascular (heart attack, stroke, etc.) or you live long enough (or short enough) to find yourself have cancer.  Centenarians have neither, and you will also find they take very little meds.

Except centenarians also die, possibly of old age.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22808 on: November 13, 2014, 02:16:21 AM »
How moronic is TV where there are shows about people watching shows from the same network?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22809 on: November 13, 2014, 04:57:22 PM »

I wish... weeks and weeks of sleep sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:57:41 PM by Alpo »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22810 on: November 13, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »

I wish... weeks and weeks of sleep sounds awesome.

Yeah. Bears are awesome but polar bears are the best.  :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22811 on: November 13, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »
Is it ever not winter in Finland?
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22812 on: November 13, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »
Is it ever not winter in Finland?

Maybe June?  ???

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22813 on: November 13, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
Finland in June.

j/k, it is actually in Montana. I took a vacaction there.  It was awesome!

God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22814 on: November 13, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »
Wowsers.  :o