Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5572885 times)

Offline methodius

• Elder
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #22590 on: October 13, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »
........buit you have learn Greek.......
kyrie eleison

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #22591 on: October 13, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »
Speaking of learning Greek.

My Learn Greek via the '13th Warrior' method proceeds apace.

I am treated to hearing  well over two hours of phone calls daily in Greek, courtesy of the coworker near me.  I can now both hear individual words and pick a few out either as things i know the root for, or for something that he repeats daily or hourly.

Another 2 years of this and I will suddenly turn around and tell him to shut the heck up....in Greek.

:laugh:
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Lugia stares deep into the depths of your soul
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #22592 on: October 13, 2014, 06:43:34 PM »

Monks eat chicken on non-fasting days?

No.

Don't forget that a Mt. Athos dinner lasts ten minutes and you only have two of them a day.

Actually, the real Mt. Athos diet would be pretty good if only because of the time limit.

I'm a slow eater, so that would be a real challenge for me. And only two meals a day? I think I would be starving.

To God Be the Glory!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #22593 on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »

No.

Don't forget that a Mt. Athos dinner lasts ten minutes and you only have two of them a day.

Actually, the real Mt. Athos diet would be pretty good if only because of the time limit.

I'm a slow eater, so that would be a real challenge for me. And only two meals a day? I think I would be starving.

You must fast and pray more.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #22594 on: October 14, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »
I am incredibly upset... I sent out a package to Montana on the 4th and it still hasn't gotten there. My friend who is the recipient has had mail go missing from her tiny rinky-dink post office multiple times (she has to pick it up at the office itself), and methinks there is a thief working there.

What was I mailing? Oh, just a full-size knitted blanket that I slaved over since the spring. The worst part is, her toddler knew that it was coming and is upset that it's not there yet. I'm so angry. I will not use USPS for packages anymore.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:06:38 PM by kelly »
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #22595 on: October 14, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »
I am incredibly upset... I sent out a package to Montana on the 4th and it still hasn't gotten there. My friend who is the recipient has had mail go missing from her tiny rinky-dink post office multiple times (she has to pick it up at the office itself), and methinks there is a thief working there.

What was I mailing? Oh, just a full-size knitted blanket that I slaved over since the spring. The worst part is, her toddler knew that it was coming and is upset that it's not there yet. I'm so angry. I will not use USPS for packages anymore.

Try UPS as the package is insured for $100 and usually gets there in one piece. Extra insurance is not too expensive; just try to get all the air from the package to reduce shipment costs as they measure height, length, width, and weight.

There are always the thieves who will pick up packages left at the door, so whenever I have a package sent to me by UPS, I use Counter Hold P/U at the nearest USP facility.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22596 on: October 14, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »

Not that it will help you now, but I always put tracking when I'm mailing stuff by USPS. It seems like they are more careful with stuff when it is being tracked. That is my experience with selling stuff on ebay, anyways.
God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22597 on: October 14, 2014, 09:33:31 PM »

Not that it will help you now, but I always put tracking when I'm mailing stuff by USPS. It seems like they are more careful with stuff when it is being tracked. That is my experience with selling stuff on ebay, anyways.

She is going to hate you for saying that......

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22598 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »

It did have tracking! :'(
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22599 on: October 14, 2014, 09:35:42 PM »

and they still lost it?!? Does it show being scanned in to the local post office? That definitely sounds like a thief.  >:(
God bless!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22600 on: October 14, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »

Oh. I just read facebook.  Now I feel like an idiot.  kelly, please feel free to punch me in the face next time you see me.
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22601 on: October 14, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

and they still lost it?!? Does it show being scanned in to the local post office? That definitely sounds like a thief.  >:(

I can't find the receipt.

My friend has had issues in the past with her local post office losing packages. It's in the middle of nowhere in Montana and is so tiny that there are only two employees there. I've sent stuff there before with no issues.

I did call the office where I sent the package from - the guy who answered took my info, and the date and time it was sent, and said he would try to search for the transaction which would also show the tracking number. I do not anticipate getting a call back. I'm just going to have to end up making another and sending it through UPS or something. It was a big blanket, I don't even know how many skeins of yarn it took and I certainly don't want to know how much money I put into it.

Just makes me sick. It's a total racket - anyone can steal or lose your mail and there's not a thing you can do about it. Reading all the USPS complaints online tonight has been very enlightening. I hope they privatize the whole thing.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22602 on: October 14, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »

Oh. I just read facebook.  Now I feel like an idiot.  kelly, please feel free to punch me in the face next time you see me.

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #22603 on: October 15, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »

No.

The praying part would be easy for me, but the fasting part would be a challenge since I love good food.

To God Be the Glory!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #22604 on: October 15, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »
So I went to Starbucks to have some coffee as it was conveniently next to a nice bookstore. To my suprise it was crowded with annoying noisy teenagers. I knew that Starbucks is a bit lame but didn't know the teenager aspect. Is it like that in the US too?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #22605 on: October 15, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22606 on: October 15, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »
That's two...

Three Anathema's and you are out!?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #22607 on: October 15, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
So I went to Starbucks

Anathema!

to have some coffee

Anathema!

They actually have suprisingly nice coffee if one doesn't take the usual stuff they're selling. Haven't seen any other chain caf├ęs offering the option of choosing the specific kinds of beans of which the cup of coffee is made.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22608 on: October 15, 2014, 05:18:07 PM »
Overheard at work
said by someone returning from an Italian vacation

'like italy you know is a new country....but rome existed before that...and you know...ruled the world....you know like egypt did'

then

'and what was so interesting to me is that as you went further east in churches and old places it was more and more back in time...and we would walk and the pathways and doors were smaller and smaller...because people were just smaller then'

::)

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22609 on: October 15, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »

No.

The praying part would be easy for me, but the fasting part would be a challenge since I love good food.

No one I know has ever told me, "I love bad food."  You are in good company with the entire world.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #22610 on: October 16, 2014, 01:40:04 AM »
Potentially Useful Fact #19,238: We also live in the Phanerozoic Eon.

Does anyone dare anathematize the current eon we live in, tsk, tsk....   ::)

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22611 on: October 16, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
I seem to have mislaid my bells and candles........
kyrie eleison

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #22612 on: October 16, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »
I declare the current eon EXCOMMUNICATE AND ANATHEMA
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Online ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #22613 on: October 16, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »
Overheard at work

'like italy you know is a new country....but rome existed before that...and you know...ruled the world....you know like egypt did'

then

'and what was so interesting to me is that as you went further east in churches and old places it was more and more back in time...and we would walk and the pathways and doors were smaller and smaller...because people were just smaller then'

How do these people get to go to Italy, and I'm stuck in Ohio? ;)
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22615 on: October 16, 2014, 12:58:24 PM »
Overheard at work

then

How do these people get to go to Italy, and I'm stuck in Ohio? ;)

Replace that sentence with Washington and that is what I sat there thinking.   :-\

She then proceeded to 'demonstrate' her Italian.....with the very well known word   Grat-zee-eh

>:( >:(

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22616 on: October 16, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »
Well Italy is in fact a -relatively- new country. It is the federation of almost all the duchies, principalities and such like in the peninsula during the latter half of the 19th century.There were, and are two or three still independent 'nations' approximately postage stamp in size, and and whose main export seems to be postage stamps for collectors San Marino is one, the name of the other escapes me.
There is more famously, the Vatican of course, the last of the Papal States.
   Does anyone know if it is part of the EU?
   Just serve my pizza on the piazza.
   Graci.
kyrie eleison

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22617 on: October 16, 2014, 05:05:05 PM »
Well Italy is in fact a -relatively- new country. It is the federation of almost all the duchies, principalities and such like in the peninsula during the latter half of the 19th century.There were, and are two or three still independent 'nations' approximately postage stamp in size, and and whose main export seems to be postage stamps for collectors San Marino is one, the name of the other escapes me.
There is more famously, the Vatican of course, the last of the Papal States.
   Does anyone know if it is part of the EU?
   Just serve my pizza on the piazza.
   Graci.

San Marino and the Vatican City are the only independent states on the Italian peninsula that I know of, aside from Italy itself, of course. Some argue that the buildings owned by the Sovereign Military Order of Malta also constitute an independent state, but I think they are better understood as like extraterritorial embassies: the host country retains sovereignty but cedes jurisdiction over it.

Neither San Marino nor the Vatican are in the EU, as far as I know. The Vatican isn't even in the UN, though the Holy See has observer status.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22618 on: October 16, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »
Sigh

It wasn't the 'new country' part that bothered me....

it was the 'lack of respect for the historical significance of Rome and Egypt'

it was the 'tiny little people' going through little tiny doors.....

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22619 on: October 16, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
Sigh

It wasn't the 'new country' part that bothered me....

it was the 'lack of respect for the historical significance of Rome and Egypt'

it was the 'tiny little people' going through little tiny doors.....

Dumb American tourists are dumb and American. Though actually they're increasingly Chinese.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #22620 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »
It is the federation of almost all the duchies, principalities and such like in the peninsula during the latter half of the 19th century.

Italy isn't a federation. The king of Sardinia, aided by don Garibaldi and his redshirt mafia, conquered the other Italian states. Italy wasn't created as a voluntary union.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:06:09 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22621 on: October 17, 2014, 08:39:02 AM »
Whenever Justin Kissel leaves the forum, I get sad.  I think I might have a man-crush on him. I need to go sit in a corner and sort out my feelings.
God bless!

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #22622 on: October 17, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »
Had to reset my email program earlier, and now I'm waiting for the 47,283 emails I've saved over the last 3 years to re-import.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22623 on: October 17, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
Can't you 'compact' them 'to save disc space.'
kyrie eleison

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #22624 on: October 17, 2014, 05:22:49 PM »
Can't you 'compact' them 'to save disc space.'
It's IMAP so I'm not too worried about it. It only took about 15 minutes.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22625 on: October 17, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
Whenever Justin Kissel leaves the forum, I get sad.  I think I might have a man-crush on him. I need to go sit in a corner and sort out my feelings.

Stand outside his window with a boombox playing "Baby, I need your loving" by The Four Tops.

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #22626 on: October 20, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »
I'm puzzled. What do the xxxx's in 'pockets' taste like, anyway :laugh:

What do most things rated XXX taste like?

To God Be the Glory!

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #22627 on: October 20, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »

I have a crush on someone I'm on the same forum as...I can understand.

(Note that I'd rather not say which forum it is...that will remain a secret)

To God Be the Glory!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22628 on: October 20, 2014, 10:24:11 PM »

The blanket showed up on Saturday to a very happy little girl and a very relieved Kelly! I even got a precious video of her opening the package. So grateful - I was praying very hard that it would make it to her.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #22629 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:25 PM »

The blanket showed up on Saturday to a very happy little girl and a very relieved Kelly! I even got a precious video of her opening the package. So grateful - I was praying very hard that it would make it to her.

First-class mail isn't what it used to be - did they tell you at the post office that it may take up to 2 weeks to deliver?

I send a lot of certified letters and it takes up to a week to receive the green card from the return receipt.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22630 on: October 20, 2014, 10:45:52 PM »

First-class mail isn't what it used to be - did they tell you at the post office that it may take up to 2 weeks to deliver?

I send a lot of certified letters and it takes up to a week to receive the green card from the return receipt.

No, they absolutely did not tell me it could take that long. I had already started on a replacement blanket and am about 50% done with it - it will be sent UPS. I am never sending a package through USPS again. It's not worth the stress.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #22631 on: October 20, 2014, 11:14:27 PM »

No, they absolutely did not tell me it could take that long. I had already started on a replacement blanket and am about 50% done with it - it will be sent UPS. I am never sending a package through USPS again. It's not worth the stress.

They should have been upfront with you - give you an estimated delivery so you could plan accordingly.  I don't know how much expensive UPS or FedEX are.  Last time I used either, the price difference vs. USPS was significant - but that was over 10 years ago.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22632 on: October 21, 2014, 09:07:52 AM »

Yay!!!  :)
God bless!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #22633 on: October 21, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »
I hate blowing my nose while wearing a mustache. >:(
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22634 on: October 21, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »
I hate blowing my nose while wearing a mustache. >:(

That glue.....so annoying ;)