Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5891641 times)

Offline methodius

• Elder
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #22545 on: October 07, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »
oh no. the author wasn't English.
kyrie eleison

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #22546 on: October 07, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »
oh no. the author wasn't English.

Long live Scotland
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22547 on: October 07, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »
kyrie eleison

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #22548 on: October 07, 2014, 03:55:30 PM »
It's 9pm on tuesday and I feel like going to a nearby pub. Alone. With a book. How pathetic is that?

Not pathetic at all.  Just don't do it at the bar; go read your book at a table.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Chiere

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #22549 on: October 07, 2014, 04:42:42 PM »
Daily Tidbit of Wisdom #233: If you order Pizza and have it delivered, by all means enjoy your meal! However, if you put your pizza cutter inside the box, be sure to remove it before throwing the box in the trash.
Normally, I find the Daily Tidbit of Wisdom posts to be spot on, but I take umbrage at this post.  Who in their right mind would use a pizza cutter on a delivered pizza?  They come pre-sliced for pete's sake! Is it so difficult to tear a piece out by the precut lines that someone would need to soil a pizza cutter to duplicate efforts?  Sorry for this rant, but this topic really touches close to home for me.  I think I will need to work it out in therapy.

It's not delivery!  It's...

Don't make me go all medieval on your post. It was clearly deliniated that this was not Digiorno, but was indeed delivered. Had this been a simple case of Digiorno, I would have understood. It was not and hence my response.

Sidenote: Digiorno tastes terrible.

To me Digiorno tastes pretty good. But I guess everyone has their own preference or opinion. (even if it's wrong)
To God Be the Glory!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #22550 on: October 08, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »
Today I went to the local beer shop and to my surprise they sold Westvleteren, which is weird, because it isn't usually sold in shops. Still, $19 for one bottle was a bit too expensive for my taste. Will I regret not buying it, though? Probably. For now I'll have to make do with the 75cl Tripel Karmeliet.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:28:20 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22551 on: October 08, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
Today I went to the local beer shop and to my surprise they sold Westvleteren, which is weird, because it isn't usually sold in shops. Still, $19 for one bottle was a bit too expensive for my taste. Will I regret not buying it, though? Probably. For now I'll have to make do with the 75cl Tripel Karmeliet.

You should report them for reselling.

Buyers of the beer receive a receipt with Niet verder verkopen ("Do not resell") printed on it. The abbey is very much against resale of their beer, and it is their wish that the beer is only commercially available at the two abbey-owned official sale points. Therefore, any Westvleteren beer offered for sale anywhere else in the world is a grey- or black market item, as there are no wholesalers or pubs in existence that supply the beer. The abbey is actively working to eliminate the illicit sales,[7] and generally only agrees to media interviews to spread their message against drinking illicitly sold Westvleteren beer.[9]
God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22552 on: October 08, 2014, 01:38:36 PM »

You should report them for reselling.

Buyers of the beer receive a receipt with Niet verder verkopen ("Do not resell") printed on it. The abbey is very much against resale of their beer, and it is their wish that the beer is only commercially available at the two abbey-owned official sale points. Therefore, any Westvleteren beer offered for sale anywhere else in the world is a grey- or black market item, as there are no wholesalers or pubs in existence that supply the beer. The abbey is actively working to eliminate the illicit sales,[7] and generally only agrees to media interviews to spread their message against drinking illicitly sold Westvleteren beer.[9]

I suspected that it was shady. Still, reporting them is a bit much and is too much of a hassle anyway.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #22553 on: October 08, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »
Daily Tidbit of Wisdom #233: If you order Pizza and have it delivered, by all means enjoy your meal! However, if you put your pizza cutter inside the box, be sure to remove it before throwing the box in the trash.
Normally, I find the Daily Tidbit of Wisdom posts to be spot on, but I take umbrage at this post.  Who in their right mind would use a pizza cutter on a delivered pizza?  They come pre-sliced for pete's sake! Is it so difficult to tear a piece out by the precut lines that someone would need to soil a pizza cutter to duplicate efforts?  Sorry for this rant, but this topic really touches close to home for me.  I think I will need to work it out in therapy.

Don't make me go all medieval on your post. It was clearly deliniated that this was not Digiorno, but was indeed delivered. Had this been a simple case of Digiorno, I would have understood. It was not and hence my response.

Sidenote: Digiorno tastes terrible.

To me Digiorno tastes pretty good. But I guess everyone has their own preference or opinion. (even if it's wrong)

It is disgusting, but then again so is every national chain pizza. Has to be a local pizzeria for it to be good.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22554 on: October 08, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »
goodness gracious JK !
you should be ashamed of yourself - throwing the pizza box in the trash!
Have you never heard of 'recycling'.?
kyrie eleison

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: The Ancientist Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Patristic, Neptic, Hesychastic, Philoka-
« Reply #22555 on: October 08, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
goodness gracious JK !
My city instructs us not to recycle pizza boxes, likely because of the grease/cheese that is left in them.
You sound like a professional who knows what he's talking about.  That's because you are.

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

"The human being is earth that suffers."
Letter of Barnabas 6.9

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22556 on: October 08, 2014, 03:04:59 PM »
ah well, I suppose the grease/cheese could serve as appetisers for worms; or crows, more likely.
kyrie eleison

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #22557 on: October 08, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »
goodness gracious JK !
My city instructs us not to recycle pizza boxes, likely because of the grease/cheese that is left in them.

Where I live, households are provided with three waste receptacles: for trash, for clean recyclables (glass, plastic, metal, paper/cardboard), and for green waste, including food scraps and garden clippings. Pizza boxes and other paper/cardboard food packaging which is not "clean" are put in the green waste bins, where the contents will be turned into mulch and compost.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #22558 on: October 08, 2014, 06:36:07 PM »

Digiorno? You ought to be ashamed. The only worthy frozen pizza is Hot Pockets.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #22559 on: October 08, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
It is disgusting, but then again so is every national chain pizza. Has to be a local pizzeria for it to be good.

Villa has the best pizza :) That's what I ate on my second date.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #22560 on: October 08, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »

Villa has the best pizza :) That's what I ate on my second date.

and the reasons why it would be lasting :-P

If anyone took me to a chain pizza place, that would be it. especially on a second date

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22561 on: October 08, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
Why do you buy pizza anyway? Easier and cheaper to make it yourself and you know what's n  it and what's not.
Use Irish soda bread or any quick break for the crust, make your own tomato sauce seasoned to your preference - you can make it fro fresh or frozen tomatoes,
add as much cheese/ sausage as you like then 5-10 min under the grill.
Inexpensive, easy and quick ----- and fun!
kyrie eleison

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #22562 on: October 08, 2014, 09:32:26 PM »
I got my very first pair of progressive bi-focal glasses today.

Where is my cane and why are these kids on my lawn!?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Chiere

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #22563 on: October 09, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »

Oh yum, Hot Pockets. Yeah, I think they would beat the **** out of Digiornos any day.

Profanity removed.~A
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:04:03 PM by Arachne »
To God Be the Glory!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #22564 on: October 10, 2014, 01:59:08 AM »
What do you call a big screen iPad?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22565 on: October 10, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »
Maxipad
God bless!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #22566 on: October 10, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »
Maxipad
;D
You should check out the madTV iPad skit (parodying the iPod commercials at the thme)...this was waaaay before the actual iPad came out
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:01:13 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22567 on: October 10, 2014, 04:58:05 PM »
I'm puzzled. What do the xxxx's in 'pockets' taste like, anyway :laugh:
kyrie eleison

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #22568 on: October 10, 2014, 08:38:40 PM »

Have you looked at the ingredients on the packaging?
I would not feed those to a dog.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #22569 on: October 11, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »
Thank God the forum is back up....I don't know what to do with myself without this place :P I actually get things done
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #22570 on: October 12, 2014, 12:21:46 AM »
Potentially Useful Fact #19,235:  We live in the Holocene Epoch.  Holocene is derived from the Greek words holos, meaning whole, and kainos, meaning new.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #22571 on: October 12, 2014, 12:48:58 AM »
Potentially Useful Fact #19,235:  We live in the Holocene Epoch.  Holocene is derived from the Greek words holos, meaning whole, and kainos, meaning new.

Anathema!

That sounds like it is quite accepting of some newfangled reconciliation of time and dates.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #22572 on: October 12, 2014, 01:08:47 AM »
Fun fact: The only thing more fun than designing your arms is figuring out how to write a proper blazon for it!

ok, maybe not a fact. More like an opinion.

Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #22573 on: October 12, 2014, 01:17:08 AM »
Potentially Useful Fact #19,235:  We live in the Holocene Epoch.  Holocene is derived from the Greek words holos, meaning whole, and kainos, meaning new.

Anathema!

That sounds like it is quite accepting of some newfangled reconciliation of time and dates.

(After Denise has anathematized the current epoch we live in)

Which leads to Potentially Useful Fact(s) #19,236 and #19,237: We also live in the Cenozoic Era and the Quaternary Period.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:20:05 AM by SolEX01 »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #22574 on: October 12, 2014, 02:55:43 PM »
As for some reason  The Menswear Thread seems to be locked I have to spam this thread instead. I bought some Falke's socks today. Hopefully they are more durable than the socs that I've previously been using. They are 2% elastane but I hope that I may still wash them at 60 degrees (celsius). Couldn't find any fully cotton ones that would fit my feet.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #22575 on: October 12, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »
Fun fact: The only thing more fun than designing your arms is figuring out how to write a proper blazon for it!

The cross is obvious, but what do the other elements symbolize?
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22576 on: October 12, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »
As for some reason  The Menswear Thread seems to be locked

It exceeded the maximum amount of gayness allowed on the board and it attracted trolling. It might just as well stay locked.

I bought some Falke's socks today.

Why?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:11:58 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22577 on: October 12, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »

The cross is obvious, but what do the other elements symbolize?

Playing cards?

(just kidding)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22578 on: October 12, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »
As for some reason  The Menswear Thread seems to be locked

It exceeded the maximum amount of gayness allowed on the board

Too bad. I was only getting started.

Why?

A silly question. Why people buy new clothes?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22579 on: October 12, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »

But why buy expensive socks when cheap ones will do?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:44:47 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22580 on: October 12, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »

I've been using cheap socks for years and they get broken in a few months or so. Just trying whether more expensive ones will be more durable.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22581 on: October 12, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »

I've been using cheap socks for years and they get broken in a few months or so. Just trying whether more expensive ones will be more durable.

They are.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22582 on: October 12, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22583 on: October 12, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
Quote from: Alpo

They are.

I'm hoping for that. People generally wear too cheap clothes which mostly makes the lose money as they need to regularly replace the older ones. With a little more money they might have a piece that would endure several years longer.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #22584 on: October 12, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22585 on: October 12, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »
Not available (yet?) in the US, only UK

http://www.slimmingsolutions.co.uk/slimmingblog/diets/the-mount-athos-diet/5672/

Monks eat chicken on non-fasting days?

I'm pretty sure they don't. This isn't a real Mt Athos diet.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22586 on: October 12, 2014, 06:10:01 PM »
Just relabeling the Mediterranean "diet" of eating lots of olive oil butter.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22587 on: October 13, 2014, 05:16:32 AM »

No.

Don't forget that a Mt. Athos dinner lasts ten minutes and you only have two of them a day.

Actually, the real Mt. Athos diet would be pretty good if only because of the time limit.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #22588 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »

No.

Don't forget that a Mt. Athos dinner lasts ten minutes and you only have two of them a day.

Actually, the real Mt. Athos diet would be pretty good if only because of the time limit.

And having someone reading to you in the background would be nice.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #22589 on: October 13, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »
........buit you have learn Greek.......
kyrie eleison