Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5891598 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #22320 on: September 25, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »
Though the 'low' part bugs me...

Just take out the "w" in MS Paint.

I love it when my hands are talking to themselves. 

Wait, we're Justin too?

He's one of my puppets, like you.  I have many puppets. 

You're a promiscuous puppeteer.

Hush, before I throw you in the laundry.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22321 on: September 25, 2014, 08:19:26 PM »
I just came back from my walk. Boy, was it hot out there.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #22322 on: September 25, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
Random fact:

I have and have had since childhood, through multiple moves to other states and countries, an actual sock puppet in my sock drawer.  He is a black sock with bright red hair.

He hangs out there and rules the land of the socks.  If he is not in there, I tend to get agitated and worried.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #22323 on: September 26, 2014, 07:08:46 AM »
So I went to a restaurant today that styles itself as an American restaurant. In here it means that the food consists of various kinds of burgers and french fries. It's kind of weid that despite the fact that nowadays people would like to think of themselves as tolerant, international and curious we still tend to think through stereotypes like this. If a fine dining restaurant advertised itself as an American restaurant people probably wouldn't have any idea about what they're offering.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #22324 on: September 26, 2014, 07:18:09 AM »
Random fact:

I have and have had since childhood, through multiple moves to other states and countries, an actual sock puppet in my sock drawer.  He is a black sock with bright red hair.

He hangs out there and rules the land of the socks.  If he is not in there, I tend to get agitated and worried.

Well that's different...
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #22325 on: September 26, 2014, 08:24:22 AM »
Daily Tidbit of Wisdom #223: Pursue pecuniary emulation and you will be brought to ruin on earth; pursue conspicuous consumption and you will be cast into the fires of hell.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22326 on: September 26, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »

Wait, we're Justin too?

I greatly enjoyed this exchange. I chortled, then I laughed.
God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #22327 on: September 26, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »
So I went to a restaurant today that styles itself as an American restaurant. In here it means that the food consists of various kinds of burgers and french fries. It's kind of weid that despite the fact that nowadays people would like to think of themselves as tolerant, international and curious we still tend to think through stereotypes like this. If a fine dining restaurant advertised itself as an American restaurant people probably wouldn't have any idea about what they're offering.

Right you are. A good American restaurant would include bbq and hotdogs as well.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:31:01 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22328 on: September 26, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »

Right you are. A good American restaurant would include bbq as well.
BBQ tends to be a more southern thing. Burgers and fries are staples across the country. The fine dining restaurants here usually advertise themselves as French.  :D
God bless!

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22329 on: September 26, 2014, 08:33:23 AM »

Right you are. A good American restaurant would include bbq and hotdogs as well.

It's the equivalent of an "Italian" restaurant serving nothing but spaghetti and meatballs.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22330 on: September 26, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »

It's the equivalent of an "Italian" restaurant serving nothing but spaghetti and meatballs.
don't forget pizza.

And stale french bread that they have repurposed as "Italian bread".

God bless!

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22331 on: September 26, 2014, 08:41:44 AM »

Right you are. A good American restaurant would include bbq as well.
BBQ tends to be a more southern thing. Burgers and fries are staples across the country. The fine dining restaurants here usually advertise themselves as French.  :D

Interesting point. I supposed there isn't much of a fully developed "American" cuisine, as there is several regional cuisines. But the same could be said of many other allegedly national cuisines: they often represent only particular regions or particular styles.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22332 on: September 26, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »
Lousianian Jambalaya isn't too bad. It's rather good when you add sambal to it. Then again, almost everything is good when you add sambal to it.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22333 on: September 26, 2014, 08:47:43 AM »
In our area, PA Dutch (German) cuisine is popular. I could live on pork sausage, saurkraut and mashed potatoes.

We call it PA Dutch because apparently we don't know the difference between the Dutch and Germans.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:47:53 AM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22334 on: September 26, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »
In our area, PA Dutch (German) cuisine is popular. I could live on pork sausage, saurkraut and mashed potatoes.

We call it PA Dutch because apparently we don't know the difference between the Dutch and Germans.  :laugh:

Well it's more because the German word for German is "Deutsch" (or "daitsch" in the PA Dutch dialect), and that sounds a lot more like "Dutch" than "German" so the PA Dutch's name for themselves got anglicized as Dutch.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22335 on: September 26, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »

don't forget pizza.

Our Italians restaurants do not offer meatballs but rather pizza and pasta. Could be due to the fact that meatballs are part of regular Finnish cuisine.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22336 on: September 26, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »

Well it's more because the German word for German is "Deutsch" (or "daitsch" in the PA Dutch dialect), and that sounds a lot more like "Dutch" than "German" so the PA Dutch's name for themselves got anglicized as Dutch.
lol, I know, but people outside of PA usually think it is because we are too stupid to know our own heritage.
God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22337 on: September 26, 2014, 08:54:29 AM »
I could live on pork sausage, saurkraut and mashed potatoes.

Same here. Don't forget to drown the latter two in gravy. It tastes better that way.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:55:18 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22338 on: September 26, 2014, 08:55:16 AM »

lol, I know, but people outside of PA usually think it is because we are too stupid to know our own heritage.

Ah sorry. But my new question is: why on earth do we call Dutch, and not German, "Dutch"?

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22339 on: September 26, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »

We call it PA Dutch because apparently we don't know the difference between the Dutch and Germans.  :laugh:

Ah sorry. But my new question is: why on earth do we call Dutch, and not German, "Dutch"?
Because the Dutch were closer to England than the Germans. You probably know the Germanic etymology of the word Dutch/Deutsch - i.e. the common/vulgar tongue in contrast to Latin. Up until the 17th century Dutch was called Duitsch, or more commonly Nederduitsch.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:03:29 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #22340 on: September 26, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »

French bread and Italian bread are two very different creatures. Anyone familiar with both would know.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22341 on: September 26, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »

French bread and Italian bread are two very different creatures. Anyone familiar with both would know.
It's a joke, LBK. I wasn't serious.
God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22342 on: September 26, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »
Everybody knows that the Austrian kaiser rolls are the best type of bread in the world. Why bother with French or Italian bread?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:19:49 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22343 on: September 26, 2014, 09:06:34 AM »
I don't know why anyone would bother with white breads. A proper bread is made of rye.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22344 on: September 26, 2014, 09:08:34 AM »
I don't know why anyone would bother with white breads. A proper bread is made of rye.

Some folks are physiologically intolerant to rye. Shall they be therefore deprived of the joys of bread?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22345 on: September 26, 2014, 09:11:37 AM »
-2 respect points for you.

Rye tastes disgusting.
God bless!

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22346 on: September 26, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »

Some folks are physiologically intolerant to rye. Shall they be therefore deprived of the joys of bread?

You have no sense of humor, do you?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22347 on: September 26, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »

You certainly don't. Alpo is Finnish, and I quite understand where he's coming from.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22348 on: September 26, 2014, 09:16:44 AM »

Rye bread is meant for horses. You aren't supposed to eat it yourself.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:16:57 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22349 on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:09 AM »

You certainly don't. Alpo is Finnish, and I quite understand where he's coming from.

nvm
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:21:27 AM by Jonathan Gress »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22350 on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:42 AM »

Rye tastes disgusting.

You obviously haven't had a proper rye bread. I live in Southern Finland and even here it's somewhat hard to come by with a proper bread. Just as the Sun of Righteousness rises from the East, as is the proper bread baked by Holy Orthodox matushkas in the East.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_bread#Limppu

Rye bread is meant for horses. You aren't supposed to eat it yourself.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:26:14 AM by Alpo »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22351 on: September 26, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »

Rye tastes disgusting.

You obviously haven't had a proper rye bread. I live in Southern Finland and even here it's somewhat hard to come by with a proper bread. Just as the Sun of Righteousness rises from the East, as is the proper bread baked by Holy Orthodox matushkas in the East.

That doesn't sound like the description of deliciousness to me!

This bread is dark, sour in taste, dense, heavy and comparatively dryish.

Now, here is the true test. Notice the lack of rye. Herein is proof that Rye is an inferior bread.

God bless!

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22352 on: September 26, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »
from the url

Looks like someone forgot to flush.

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22353 on: September 26, 2014, 09:31:09 AM »

Rye tastes disgusting.

Was Trisagion thinking of American caraway-flavored "Jewish rye" when he said that? Or of the dense, sour Scandinavian rye?

Once my mom, an American who married a Dane, was serving a Danish lunch to an American guest, including a glass of Danish caraway-flavored aquavit. The guest remarked that the spirit tasted "like rye", thinking, I suppose, that it was the rye grain that provided the distinctive flavor in the rye bread he was familiar with.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #22354 on: September 26, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »

Wait, we're Justin too?

I greatly enjoyed this exchange. I chortled, then I laughed.

We aim to please.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22355 on: September 26, 2014, 09:34:43 AM »

Yeah, I lolled to the description too. Then again it's kind of apt. We are called to ascesis. It also reminds me of some Metal bands. Maybe that's why have so many Metal bands. Can't make any lighthearted music while eating bread like that.

Now, here is the true test. Notice the lack of rye. Herein is proof that Rye is an inferior bread.

"As seen on TV" :-X

from the url

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:40:02 AM by Alpo »

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #22356 on: September 26, 2014, 09:40:46 AM »
Danish rye bread will always be number one.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22357 on: September 26, 2014, 09:42:56 AM »

Yeah, I lolled to the description too. Then again it's kind of apt. We are called to ascesis. It also reminds me of some Metal bands. Maybe that's why have so many Metal bands. Can't make any lighthearted music while eating bread like that.

"As seen on TV" :-X

from the url

[img height=200]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/Reik%C3%A4leip%C3%

How dare you defame the bread gloves!!! We are not friends anymore.  >:(  :P
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:43:24 AM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #22358 on: September 26, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »
Remote area of Greece;

Little known by the world;

Even those who know about it don't quite know what goes on in there;

Preserves an ancient lifestyle long forgotten for centuries;

Everything seems from the past;

It's inhabitted by people of only one sex.

Expectation:

Reality:
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #22359 on: September 26, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »
Remote area of Greece;

Little known by the world;

Even those who know about it don't quite know what goes on in there;

Preserves an ancient lifestyle long forgotten for centuries;

Everything seems from the past;

It's inhabitted by people of only one sex.

Expectation:

Reality:

You have interesting expectations--cartoon women?!?!?!
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #22360 on: September 26, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
You have interesting expectations--cartoon women?!?!?!

If Fabio is as cool as I think he is, he is probably prevented by OCNet official rules from posting the real photos he had in mind. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22361 on: September 26, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »
She's not bad, she's just drawn that way.

My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #22362 on: September 26, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »
I notice that the anthropological course "Evolutionary Theory" at the University of Pittsburgh has been given the section/catalog number 1611. I bet those godless atheist academic know-it-alls did that just to stick it to God-fearin Bible-believing KJV-usin folk!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #22363 on: September 26, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »
Daily Tidbit of Wisdom #224: Give a man a salad and he'll eat for a day; teach a man to sell ads and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #22364 on: September 26, 2014, 11:38:37 PM »
Ugh! that has got to smell

The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.