Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 5569465 times)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #22140 on: September 11, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
In other first world problems...

I have to pick a work service anniversary gift, from a catalog of things i really don't need.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #22141 on: September 11, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »

I have to pick a work service anniversary gift, from a catalog of things i really don't need.
In those situations, I pick a random thing and then throw it on my desk with the rest of the clutter that I never get around to dealing with. I just found a clock on my desk the other day. It doesn't work, but it does have shiny gold trim on it, so that is something, I guess.
God bless!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #22142 on: September 11, 2014, 03:49:14 PM »
I have a problem. I'm thinking of going to a barber shop. Last time was something like five years go. I know basically how I want my hair to look like but can't describe it verbally and it seems pathetic and/or gay to walk into a barber shop with a picture of some male hair model.

That's right. You're gay.

Watch your language, young man! I'm not a Swede after all.

But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22143 on: September 11, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »

In those situations, I pick a random thing and then throw it on my desk with the rest of the clutter that I never get around to dealing with. I just found a clock on my desk the other day. It doesn't work, but it does have shiny gold trim on it, so that is something, I guess.

That is the basic idea......i was thinking a vase for the desk...so i can still not buy myself flowers for it.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22144 on: September 11, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »

That is the basic idea......i was thinking a vase for the desk...so i can still not buy myself flowers for it.

That's the manliest idea that I've heard for a while.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22145 on: September 11, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »

That's the manliest idea that I've heard for a while.

thanks...

i think

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #22146 on: September 11, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
I have a problem. I'm thinking of going to a barber shop. Last time was something like five years go. I know basically how I want my hair to look like but can't describe it verbally and it seems pathetic and/or gay to walk into a barber shop with a picture of some male hair model.
Just do it yourself.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22147 on: September 11, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »

Just tell them you want "the Soul Glo look," they'll fix you right up!

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22148 on: September 12, 2014, 01:27:51 AM »
Obi-Wan has taught you well, but you are not a Jedi yet.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #22149 on: September 12, 2014, 02:10:05 AM »
Mirabile visu! All this time right under our noses -- well, down a side street, in a building looking abandoned -- was an Indian imports store. They have everything imaginable, from spices to freezers full of meats to prepared foods to clothing. Of course I immediately got a tin of gulab jamun and a couple of boxes of freezer samosas (yes, I'm predictably American), but we'll be back soon to get other things.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #22150 on: September 12, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
Mirabile visu! All this time right under our noses -- well, down a side street, in a building looking abandoned -- was an Indian imports store. They have everything imaginable, from spices to freezers full of meats to prepared foods to clothing. Of course I immediately got a tin of gulab jamun and a couple of boxes of freezer samosas (yes, I'm predictably American), but we'll be back soon to get other things.

This is an indication of God's deep and abiding love for you.
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #22151 on: September 12, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »
http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-29170371

Sad event happened last night. Someone set fire to an animal shelter in Manchester, England, killing dozens of dogs.

Many people have since come out to donate food, blankets and other supplies.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22152 on: September 12, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
Yay! There will be a seminar on Indian Orthodoxy here on next monday. Some Indian metropolitan ( Geevarghese Mor Ephrem Coorilosis) will be talking about historical and contemporary Orthodoxy.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #22153 on: September 12, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »

I suppose you could always pretend you're a tourist and don't speak the language. Gesture a lot and show the photo.

Or you could just show the photo and no one will think anything of it. :P
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22154 on: September 12, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
I suppose you could always pretend you're a tourist and don't speak the language. Gesture a lot and show the photo.

There's now way I could pull that through. I look basically like a dictionary definition of a Finn.

Or you could just show the photo and no one will think anything of it. :P

That's awfully boring option. It's a lot more fun to make a huge fuss over nothing.

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22155 on: September 12, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »
Daily Tidbit of Wisdom #210: It is good to do kind things for others. However, sometimes in the process of doing something kind you can make another person look like a jerk.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22156 on: September 12, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »
There has seldom been a week that I have been more ready for it to end than this one.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #22157 on: September 12, 2014, 05:09:22 PM »
Yay! There will be a seminar on Indian Orthodoxy here on next monday. Some Indian metropolitan ( Geevarghese Mor Ephrem Coorilosis) will be talking about historical and contemporary Orthodoxy.

Let us know what you think.  :)
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Lugia stares deep into the depths of your soul
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #22158 on: September 12, 2014, 06:38:40 PM »

That's right. You're gay.

Watch your language, young man! I'm not a Swede after all.

I thought calling people things like "gay" would be forbidden here.

To God Be the Glory!

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22159 on: September 12, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »
Daily Tidbit of Wisdom #211: Worried because you makes assumptions, have biases, and use circular reasoning? Don't let it bother you, we all do this, it's called thinking.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22160 on: September 12, 2014, 09:41:44 PM »
Chiere, you have some really strange sigs.
God bless!

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #22161 on: September 13, 2014, 12:57:37 AM »
Just got back from watching a high school football game between a team of Old Believers on one side and a team from a private, Catholic institution on the other. Can you guess who won?
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22162 on: September 13, 2014, 01:34:07 AM »
Just got back from watching a high school football game between a team of Old Believers on one side and a team from a private, Catholic institution on the other. Can you guess who won?

The old believers were probably good at rushin, but the Catholics probably have top notch facilities, trainers, coaches, etc. because of their exceptional organizational skills. I'm going to guess that the game plan for neither team was working, but while the old believers refused to change, the Catholics developed their plan, and so the Catholics won in the end?

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22163 on: September 13, 2014, 01:41:15 AM »
Didn't know Old Believer had their own schools?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Hawkeye

• High Elder
« Reply #22164 on: September 13, 2014, 01:44:34 AM »

The old believers were probably good at rushin, but the Catholics probably have top notch facilities, trainers, coaches, etc. because of their exceptional organizational skills. I'm going to guess that the game plan for neither team was working, but while the old believers refused to change, the Catholics developed their plan, and so the Catholics won in the end?

You're right on the money. At 14-26, the Catholics won this round. Since it was a home game too, I imagine my brothers in the Old Rite have gone home in disgrace.

You should have seen our athletes when I was in high school; they were champions! Not so much any more it seems.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Hawkeye

• High Elder
« Reply #22165 on: September 13, 2014, 01:53:38 AM »
Didn't know Old Believer had their own schools?

Theoretically, the "Old Believer" schools out here are public but, due to their locations in out-of-the-way villages, they tend to lack any religious or ethnic diversity beyond the faculty. Roughly every decade or so, a non-Old Believer kid might start attending but they tend not to stay for the long haul. I recall one when was in kindergarten and another in 10th grade, neither of whom were there the following year.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22166 on: September 13, 2014, 02:12:36 AM »
Orthodox of any kind just don't run their own schools, do they?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
« Reply #22167 on: September 13, 2014, 02:29:22 AM »

That's right. Starting a school involves organizing and organizing sounds suspiciously Catholic. Always remember Peter the Great. He started to organize Holy Russia and the result was Westertn Captivity. Who knows, maybe an own school would lead into mathematics which predisposes kids to Scholastisism. We wouldn't want that, wouldn't we?

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22168 on: September 13, 2014, 02:37:35 AM »

This site lists 54 Orthodox schools, and according to the Krindatch data there are about 800k Orthodox in America. That works out to about 14815 Orthodox for every 1 school. According to this site there are 6,594 Catholic schools in America, and there are about 78.2m Catholic Church members in America. That works out to about 11859 Catholics for every 1 Catholic school. Certainly the Orthodox don't have anything like the Catholics in reputation, size, etc., but based on how many schools we might expect the Orthodox to be able to support (financial and other resources) just based on Church membership numbers, things aren't so much different.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22169 on: September 13, 2014, 02:44:59 AM »
Are they schools that teach Greek language? Colleges? Preschools? I know the one they list in Oregon is a preschool. It's surprising an organization with this name knows so little about the schools they list (even saying "these are the schools we've been able to identify" [emphasis mine]). Yet they make bold to offer a consultant for a daily fee and traveling expenses. What exactly is this organization?

Darn. Here I go sounding cynical, when, given there must be some truth to the list, I should be ecstatic (I like good schools). :)

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22170 on: September 13, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »
Saw this quote by Alan Watts: "You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself," and was reminded of the final signature of Entscheidungsproblem of thrice-blessed memory: "As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future."

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22171 on: September 13, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »
Are they schools that teach Greek language? Colleges? Preschools? I know the one they list in Oregon is a preschool....

I have no idea about the particulars of Orthodox schools up through the high school level. As for accredited schools of higher education in America that are Orthodox, so far as I can tell, there is one liberal arts school that grants Bachelors degrees, one liberal arts school that grants bachelors and masters degrees, two schools that grant a bachelors degree in Theology only, three seminaries/theological schools that grant Masters degrees related to theology/ministry, one seminary/theological school that grants both Masters degrees and a Doctoral degree, and various others (diploma and correspondence courses, several unaccredited seminary programs, etc.)  The Antiochians also are apparently associated with a Masters program and a Doctoral program, in conjunction (and largely based through) other schools not associated with the Archdiocese.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:13:42 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22172 on: September 13, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
No, I'm really happy to see the list of Orthodox schools. Excited, actually. The strangeness of that particular organization just threw me off guard. Thanks for the link.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22173 on: September 13, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »
Saw this quote by Alan Watts: "You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself," and was reminded of the final signature of Entscheidungsproblem of thrice-blessed memory: "As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future."

An earnest young evangelist for atheistic thinking, aren't you? You don't tire, you don't flag. You don't lose your temper. I find it touching.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #22174 on: September 13, 2014, 01:47:17 PM »

An earnest young evangelist for atheistic thinking, aren't you? You don't tire, you don't flag. You don't lose your temper. I find it touching.

Neither of you seem to tire, how do you both find the time for posting such long posts riddled with sophormorism while working 40 plus hours a week? At least one with a family as well?

Only if I had such unflagging energy!
January 23, 2016, 03:47:17 PM   Ad Hominem - "mere foil"   +45

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_(literature)

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22175 on: September 13, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »

I would love to have the kind of consistency you speak of! Though if I got to choose what to be consistent at, I wouldn't settle on either evangelism or atheism... 8)

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22176 on: September 13, 2014, 02:13:56 PM »
Daily Tidbit of Wisdom #212: "The eagle was killed with an arrow made with its own feathers." (Armenian saying)

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22177 on: September 13, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »

Neither of you seem to tire, how do you both find the time for posting such long posts riddled with sophormorism while working 40 plus hours a week? At least one with a family as well?

Sophomormonism. At least get your epithets right.

If I did work a fulltime desk job, you might find me online a lot more. A three-year-old and a nine-month-old are harsh mistresses.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #22178 on: September 13, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
This image is 100 percent real.

I suspect it will inspire even more laughs than God's Not Dead's depictions of atheists.

I made a really dark joke about this site, where it claims "Find God's match in you."  A woman got raped when being matched with someone from this site.  So does that mean "Find God's wrath in you"?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22179 on: September 13, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »
Such a site is an example of what can easily deceive the naive: Christian institutions and persons are not significantly more moral than average.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #22180 on: September 13, 2014, 04:33:32 PM »

Sophomormonism. At least get your epithets right.

If I did work a fulltime desk job, you might find me online a lot more. A three-year-old and a nine-month-old are harsh mistresses.

In addition -- tho I don't know why I feel compelled to reveal this here -- I do try to work from home, mostly programming, but I have an auto-immune illness that is making this difficult, with generalized pain and anxiety, mental disorientation, and other symptoms. Perhaps I come here to stew in old habits the way wiser patients would take a warm bath.

There is also something promising here, comforting here, whether or not in fact it is realized. What do you get out of OC.net? (The question is not just for Orthornorm. The question is probably rhetorical.)

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Please forgive the embarrasing avatar mishap.
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #22181 on: September 13, 2014, 08:16:24 PM »
In addition -- tho I don't know why I feel compelled to reveal this here -- I do try to work from home, mostly programming, but I have an auto-immune illness that is making this difficult, with generalized pain and anxiety, mental disorientation, and other symptoms. Perhaps I come here to stew in old habits the way wiser patients would take a warm bath.

There is also something promising here, comforting here, whether or not in fact it is realized. What do you get out of OC.net? (The question is not just for Orthornorm. The question is probably rhetorical.)
Doubt.  ::)
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #22182 on: September 13, 2014, 09:14:08 PM »
What do I get out of it?

Mostly chuckles, but every so often a good belly laugh.
God bless!

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22183 on: September 13, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Anthropological insight  ;D

Online Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #22184 on: September 14, 2014, 01:32:55 AM »
Daily Tidbit of Wisdom #213: Give a friend a hug, you'll thank yourself later.