Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1982557 times)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #20475 on: April 17, 2014, 12:54:30 AM »
May I ask why it was happier?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:55:06 AM by Alpo »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #20476 on: April 17, 2014, 08:15:10 AM »

Maybe there were only 20 people on the board and everyone knew each other in real life. :P
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20477 on: April 17, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »

Maybe there were only 20 people on the board and everyone knew each other in real life. :P

Hopefully at least stashko was one of those. Otherwise that sounds awfully boring.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #20478 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:43 AM »

Hopefully at least stashko was one of those. Otherwise that sounds awfully boring.

:laugh:
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline ilyazhito

• High Elder
« Reply #20479 on: April 20, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »
Хрiстосъ Воскресе!Christ is Risen!

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Όμηρίτης
  • High Elder
  • Venerable Gregory (Ivan Neronov)
  • Faith: More Neronov than Avvakum
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite Chapelist
« Reply #20480 on: April 20, 2014, 11:47:41 PM »
Nine hours I spent in church last night. My God, that last one nearly killed me.
Quote from: The Life of Ivan Neronov
[Ecclesiastics] conspired against him because they hated his teaching for its zealous emphasis on proper Christian conduct: with great courage he denounced all whom he saw behaving in an ungodly fashion... [As such] he was deprived of his priestly rank, bound in iron chains, and broken down in jails.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #20481 on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:39 AM »
Christ is risen!

Nine hours I spent in church last night. My God, that last one nearly killed me.

A nine hour Paschal service?  What did you guys do? 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #20482 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:13 AM »

Christ is Risen!

Without priests, what do you guys do for 9 hours - some traditions read the entire Acts of the Apostles.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20483 on: April 21, 2014, 01:12:51 AM »
Holy Fire was brought to Helsinki yesterday. I'm not sure what to think of it but hopefully that makes more people see that we should switch back to Old Calendar.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Όμηρίτης
  • High Elder
« Reply #20484 on: April 21, 2014, 01:26:37 AM »
It wasn't a single Paschal service, but a series of services from 6:30 PM til 4:00 AM which, yes, included a three-hour reading of the Acts of the Holy Apostles. The Paschal service proper began at midnight. I'm really not all that in the know, so I can't tell you exactly what we did other than that.

There was another 2 hour earlier in the day, so, on the whole, I spent 11 hours or so in church, of the 15 1/2 I was awake.

I don't know how my 80 year-old great-grandfather does it.
[Ecclesiastics] conspired against him because they hated his teaching for its zealous emphasis on proper Christian conduct: with great courage he denounced all whom he saw behaving in an ungodly fashion... [As such] he was deprived of his priestly rank, bound in iron chains, and broken down in jails.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20485 on: April 21, 2014, 01:55:27 AM »

Lucky.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:55:43 AM by William »
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20486 on: April 21, 2014, 02:17:00 AM »
It wasn't a single Paschal service, but a series of services from 6:30 PM til 4:00 AM which, yes, included a three-hour reading of the Acts of the Holy Apostles. The Paschal service proper began at midnight. I'm really not all that in the know, so I can't tell you exactly what we did other than that.

There was another 2 hour earlier in the day, so, on the whole, I spent 11 hours or so in church, of the 15 1/2 I was awake.

I don't know how my 80 year-old great-grandfather does it.

Even reading that almost kills me. What is your church? I've thought that your profile information is an ironic joke but now I'm not entirely sure anymore. :P

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20487 on: April 21, 2014, 04:07:46 AM »
Communities of millions of people like the Old Believers actually only exist as jokes on the internets.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Όμηρίτης
  • High Elder
« Reply #20488 on: April 21, 2014, 05:01:11 AM »
Even reading that almost kills me.

It sounds worse than it is. It would have probably been easier if I attended services more often.

Most people go home and rest during the reading of Acts, but I somehow ended up staying.

What is your church?

Until recently, I don't believe we had a name but following a schism we're now apparently calling ourselves "Single-Crossers" or something. I don't know, that's another story. Basically, we're a network of individual Old Believer parishes of the Chapelist tradition who acknowledge one another as orthodox, spread throughout the Americas (though there are a few folk in Russia). Most of us live in North America, specifically in Alaska, Oregon, Washington, and Minnesota. If you live nearby, it's kind of hard to miss us.

There are others in Canada but they're, you know, Canadians. :P

I've thought that your profile information is an ironic joke but now I'm not entirely sure anymore. :P

:D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:29:11 AM by Hawkeye »

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20489 on: April 21, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »
I thought you people had only Slavonic names for yourselves. English-speaking Old Believerism? Is confusing outrage.

Is there some nice and short introduction somewhere online about differences between different Old Believer churches? There aren't any kind of Old Believers in Finland so basically I know nothing about you.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Όμηρίτης
  • High Elder
« Reply #20490 on: April 21, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »
I thought you people had only Slavonic names for yourselves. English-speaking Old Believerism? Is confusing outrage.

In Slavonic, I hear it variously as either "Первокрестницы" ("First-Crossers") or "Единокрестницы" ("Single-Crossers") as compared to the "Второекрестницы" ("Second-Crossers") or "Двоекрестницы" (often translated amusing enough as "Double-Crossers" though "Two-Crossers" is more accurate.).

Is there some nice and short introduction somewhere online about differences between different Old Believer churches? There aren't any kind of Old Believers in Finland so basically I know nothing about you.

I'm not familiar with all that many internet resources but I always recommend, at least for a passing look, Irish Melkite's over at byzcath.org. It's got some good stuff on Old Believers and not-so-Old Believers alike.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:38:18 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #20491 on: April 21, 2014, 03:34:52 PM »
Fasting begins again this evening. (I'm having a blood test tomorrow morning.)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20492 on: April 21, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »
I'm not familiar with all that many internet resources

Coming straight from the heart. You sir just achieved 6 Old Believer points. Please gather some more and you'll get a Level up.

Oh, and thanks for the link. One can always trust Irish Melkite providind clear, balanced and comprehensive information about all ecclesiastical matters.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:55:04 PM by Alpo »

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #20493 on: April 21, 2014, 05:35:20 PM »
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Distressed about my country
« Reply #20494 on: April 21, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
He's small and smart and yellow, with a rodent-like physique.

He doesn't play the cello, and he never deigns to speak.
Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #20495 on: April 21, 2014, 08:08:46 PM »
;D

An image search of your current avatar leads to a collection of pictures of a pretty girl on a Russian site. I would like to kindly ask for the address and/or phone number of this fine young lady, so that we may communicate about mutual interests. I thank you ahead of time for any help you can provide in this most important matter!
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #20496 on: April 21, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »
Carrying too many bags and shopping bags on my way in through my door, my grip on all of them was slipping...and i eventually lost one.
The sound as it crashed to the floor with a thud let me know I had just broken TWO bottles of wine on my floor.

:'(

luckily the actual glass was contained in the paper sacks inside the plastic one......but now there is no glass of wine this evening.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #20497 on: April 21, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
;D

An image search of your current avatar leads to a collection of pictures of a pretty girl on a Russian site. I would like to kindly ask for the address and/or phone number of this fine young lady, so that we may communicate about mutual interests. I thank you ahead of time for any help you can provide in this most important matter!

OK, so I'm not the only one who tried that.  :P

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Online vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #20498 on: April 21, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
Oddest thing I've ever done on a dating site:

Used Michael Wittman as my profile pic.  Within a day or so I had several messages from chicks saying I was hawt.

Ja, ich bin ein Sextiger!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Can you stand on your head?
  • Faith: ✓
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #20499 on: April 22, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »

Used Michael Wittman as my profile pic.  Within a day or so I had several messages from chicks saying I was hawt.

Consider Herr Sextiger as a username.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #20500 on: April 22, 2014, 10:37:18 PM »
Carrying too many bags and shopping bags on my way in through my door, my grip on all of them was slipping...and i eventually lost one.
The sound as it crashed to the floor with a thud let me know I had just broken TWO bottles of wine on my floor.

luckily the actual glass was contained in the paper sacks inside the plastic one......but now there is no glass of wine this evening.

Memory eternal...

or was it for your homies?

Either way, memory eternal.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #20501 on: April 22, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »

Memory eternal...

Thank you!

one bottle was to be taken to a Slava tomorrow......but it has been replaced with an even more appropriate bottle of Greek wine called St. George.   :laugh:

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #20502 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »

Memory eternal...

Thank you!

one bottle was to be taken to a Slava tomorrow......but it has been replaced with an even more appropriate bottle of Greek wine called St. George.   :laugh:

Perfect!

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20503 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:21 AM »

Used Michael Wittman as my profile pic.  Within a day or so I had several messages from chicks saying I was hawt.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202941120392470&l=0cfc7e768e

Ich bin ein Sexpanther?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:23:01 AM by Punch »
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Online vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #20504 on: April 23, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »

Used Michael Wittman as my profile pic.  Within a day or so I had several messages from chicks saying I was hawt.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202941120392470&l=0cfc7e768e

Ich bin ein Sexpanther?

No, Sexpanther was already a trademarked name.  I think his real name was Barkmann or something like that.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20505 on: April 23, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »
Bored out of my mind in the Budapest airport

Online Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #20506 on: April 23, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »

Alcohol is cheap in the airport.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:46:09 PM by Cyrillic »
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #20507 on: April 23, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »

I thought you were bicycling through America...what wrong turn took you to the Budapest airport?

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20508 on: April 23, 2014, 12:45:45 PM »

Alcohol is cheap in the airports.
Heck no

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20509 on: April 23, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »

I thought you were bicycling through America...what wrong turn took you to the Budapest airport?
Not yet that's still a vague plan for maybe end of summer/fall. Will see. Took all my time off this year . In case I quit at least won't be sorry for that.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
« Reply #20511 on: April 23, 2014, 01:50:58 PM »
I just really angered a bee while mowing the lawn. I'm waiting for him to buzz off and forget about it so I can finish.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #20512 on: April 23, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »

Welcome back to Europe. You're heading to Romania?

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • Holy Royal Martyr Olga Nikolaevna
« Reply #20513 on: April 23, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
I just really angered a bee while mowing the lawn. I'm waiting for him to buzz off and forget about it so I can finish.

A bee bit my bottom! Now my bottom's big!

"But we must live in the world, having peace in our soul. We must live amidst strangers; we must suffer, struggle, and firmly believe. We must seek our consolation in prayer and not doubt the love and compassion of God. He is above everyone and everything."

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #20514 on: April 23, 2014, 03:37:13 PM »

Since when?

Online Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #20515 on: April 23, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »

Since when?

Must be an exclusively Dutch thing then.
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #20516 on: April 23, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »

Since when?

Must be an exclusively Dutch thing then.

Probably sell cheap weed in the airport too, which would be quite Dutch.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #20517 on: April 23, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »
So I saw a spider today about the size of a nickle, which is a pretty decent size for round these parts. 'Quick, burn it with fire!' was my initial thought. I wasn't sure how my landlord would react to the burn marks though, so I decided to squash it instead. I have a deal with certain bugs to give them a free ride outside if I find them in my place, but spiders are on the list of those to be killed on sight. Anyway, so in my hesitation in considering the fire the spider fled under the bookcase. Ugh. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight with it still alive so I ended up moving the whole bookcase and all the books to get at the stupid thing. After squashing it with a book of greek drama I flushed the corpse down the toilet (lest it come back to life as a mutant zombie spider and seek revenge if I had merely thrown it in the garbage or out the door).
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #20518 on: April 23, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
So I saw a spider today about the size of a nickle, which is a pretty decent size for round these parts. 'Quick, burn it with fire!' was my initial thought. I wasn't sure how my landlord would react to the burn marks though, so I decided to squash it instead. I have a deal with certain bugs to give them a free ride outside if I find them in my place, but spiders are on the list of those to be killed on sight. Anyway, so in my hesitation in considering the fire the spider fled under the bookcase. Ugh. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight with it still alive so I ended up moving the whole bookcase and all the books to get at the stupid thing. After squashing it with a book of greek drama I flushed the corpse down the toilet (lest it come back to life as a mutant zombie spider and seek revenge if I had merely thrown it in the garbage or out the door).

A friend of mine had a spider swing down right in front of her as she was reading. She slammed the book shut and hasn't opened it again since.

Apropos of nothing:

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
« Reply #20519 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »
A bee bit my bottom! Now my bottom's big!

Thankfully that did not happen to me, because I ran like a coward.