Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2142619 times)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #19755 on: January 29, 2014, 01:42:34 PM »
People. This is internet. It's not something to be taken seriously. Sky won't fall even if someone is being moron on internet or if someone is banned from an internet forum.

But things would get quite a bit more "serious" in real life if a similar situation arose, so...  8)

You get all worked up in real life if someone disagree with you?
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19756 on: January 29, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
People. This is internet. It's not something to be taken seriously. Sky won't fall even if someone is being moron on internet or if someone is banned from an internet forum.

But things would get quite a bit more "serious" in real life if a similar situation arose, so...  8)

If someone said they were going to [do that] to my girlfriend/wife in real life I'd punch them in the face. If they were semi-serious I'd continue my response; if they weren't serious and just trying to be crude to get a rise out of me... well it would have worked, so ... mission accomplished?

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19757 on: January 29, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »

He is referring to what Shiny posted in particular. I would sit about anyone down over the matter. What I wouldn't do is email women across the globe for hand holding.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19758 on: January 29, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »
A Russian national keeps sending things to my place. Which is nice an all, but the things are getting progressively larger, more attention catching, and more expensive, which in my neighborhood could cause me a lot of trouble.

So could you folks in ROCOR, ROC, or anyone living east of Hamburg let Alexis Andreyev know I said thanks, but to knock it off already?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:58:12 PM by orthonorm »
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #19759 on: January 29, 2014, 02:59:14 PM »
Are you quoting Assasin's Creed because you think it's true or because it sounds cool?

I'm appealing to a popular culture reference because I believe that the timeless message within it applies in this case. Once the offender becomes the judge then there is no longer any "truth" because no offender will ever admit to their guilt or offense; it all becomes permitted as they will constantly change it in order to excuse their own violations of it. This to me appeared to be the end result of the poster's logical chain.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #19760 on: January 29, 2014, 03:01:07 PM »
If someone said they were going to [do that] to my girlfriend/wife in real life I'd punch them in the face.

Meh, I'd just laugh and walk away. I wouldn't risk having the law on me seeing that I'm Mexican.

Anyone that would get this offended over something said on the internet is kinda bizarre to me. I've endured far worse in the cyber world and I've never asked for sympathy or ran away.

It's the internet for crying out loud

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #19761 on: January 29, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
Hi everyone. For clarification purposes, I did not leave because I was offended by what Shiny said. I left because I did not want to further escalate things and and need time to figure out how to be a more positive contributing member to the forum. I had no desire to see Shiny banned and I hope that perhaps he will be allowed to return if/when the mods feel it is appropriate. I thought Shiny added much entertainment value to the forum.

I did not reach out to anyone for counseling, handholding, sympathy or anything else.  Several people have PMed me inquiries and I responded. If anyone else wants to better understand why I did what I did, they can PM me as I still check the forum on occasion.  Or you can criticize my failings as you perceive them.  Whichever, it doesn't make a huge difference to me.  :)

Trig out.
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19762 on: January 29, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »
Hi everyone. For clarification purposes, I did not leave because I was offended by what Shiny said. I left because I did not want to further escalate things and and need time to figure out how to be a more positive contributing member to the forum. I had no desire to see Shiny banned and I hope that perhaps he will be allowed to return if/when the mods feel it is appropriate. I thought Shiny added much entertainment value to the forum.

I thought that wudda been your stance, but everyone, LBK who thinks she is everyone, was saying otherwise. Glad to have flushed you out to set matters straight.

LBK, you lose yet again.

What sign would you have me do next? I made the mute speak to show you are incorrect, what else must I accomplish?

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19763 on: January 29, 2014, 03:24:32 PM »

I did not reach out to anyone for counseling, handholding, sympathy or anything else.  Several people have PMed me inquiries and I responded. If anyone else wants to better understand why I did what I did, they can PM me as I still check the forum on occasion.  Or you can criticize my failings as you perceive them.  Whichever, it doesn't make a huge difference to me.  :)

Trig out.

Not that you care, but I told shiny as much when I saw your post, which seemed to me to be more introspective than vindictive and he agreed. But others had to be shown different, though they were in contact with you while I haven't ever exchanged more than a post with you, I think.

Best of luck.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #19764 on: January 29, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »

Trig out.

Nice to hear from you. Good luck with your endeavors.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #19765 on: January 29, 2014, 03:34:03 PM »
I don't know what you mean by LBK being wrong, I didn't read far back enough to decipher that, but Shiny's post was the trigger for me to withdraw from the forum.  In that way, I mean, I felt it was both of our faults.  I knew I would get a rise out of him when I posted what I did, I just didn't realize it was going to escalate to that extent. Once that happened, I figured if I did not quit posting, I was going to get both of us banned.  I had hoped that perhaps the thread was hid quickly enough that the issue could just be smoothed over and everyone get put on moderated status for awhile and then it would be over.  That didn't happen unfortunately.  :(

I will emphasize that I think the moderators were put in a very difficult situation.  I do not envy their position and regardless of what action that took, they were going to be criticized. I think all of them that were involved did their very best to curtail further inflammation and hard feelings.  In that, I think they did the best they could and I commend them for it.

I once again apologize for my involvement and if Shiny still lurks, I hope he is willing to accept my apology for my role in the matter. I don't harbor any ill feelings towards anyone here.

Ok, I think this will be my last post, otherwise, I'll get drawn back into posting and I don't want to do that yet.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:35:18 PM by TheTrisagion »
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #19766 on: January 29, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
Are you quoting Assasin's Creed because you think it's true or because it sounds cool?

I'm appealing to a popular culture reference because I believe that the timeless message within it applies in this case. Once the offender becomes the judge then there is no longer any "truth" because no offender will ever admit to their guilt or offense; it all becomes permitted as they will constantly change it in order to excuse their own violations of it. This to me appeared to be the end result of the poster's logical chain.

Alrighty then.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #19767 on: January 29, 2014, 04:35:22 PM »

Alrighty then.

So it wasn't just me...
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Bartholomew, 270th Archbishop of Constantinople-New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch, is spiritual leader to 300 million Orthodox Christians throughout the world.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #19768 on: January 29, 2014, 04:55:29 PM »

Alrighty then.

So it wasn't just me...

What?
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Severian

• Aspiring Allopathic Ankle Orthodontist
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
« Reply #19769 on: January 29, 2014, 10:08:56 PM »
88 school days until graduation. Can't wait.
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

May the 21 new martyrs pray for us all.

Please, remember me in your prayers

Lord, protect Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19770 on: January 30, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »

Offline Severian

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19771 on: January 30, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
88 school days until graduation. Can't wait.
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19772 on: January 30, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »

I was going to make a joke by combining your name with the nickname of Sidney Crosby (#87), but that would have probably just fallen flat.  8)

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #19773 on: January 30, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »

I was going to make a joke by combining your name with the nickname of Sidney Crosby (#87), but that would have probably just fallen flat.  8)

Only if you can't skate well. :D
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19774 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:36 PM »
Speaking of, I thought the Penguins game came on at 8 and I missed it, and only just now realized that it has a 10:30 start time and I'll get to listen to the whole thing.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #19775 on: January 31, 2014, 02:16:07 AM »
I need to get a car so I can start college. I graduated HS a semester early and so this college stuff has caught me unprepared.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19776 on: January 31, 2014, 03:56:03 AM »
I need to get a car so I can start college. I graduated HS a semester early and so this college stuff has caught me unprepared.
What are you gonna study?

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19777 on: January 31, 2014, 04:39:41 AM »

Why do you need a car? Is public transporting that bad around you?

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19778 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:25 AM »
Yawn.  Nothing will come of this as nothing ever does.
Maybe a new form of rap, called Hip-Copt.

Armenian + Hip-Copt = Oriental Orthodox Caucasian rapper?

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #19779 on: January 31, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »

How did you finish a semester early?

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19780 on: January 31, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »
Just downloaded a King James Bible for my tablet for free. As much as I like actual books I am fascinated by the fact that I can have books for free just in few seconds. My apartment is fairly small and it's already filled with books and other stuff so I probably shouldn't buy actual books anymore or at least get rid of some of the old ones.

Offline Severian

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19781 on: January 31, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #19782 on: January 31, 2014, 08:00:56 PM »

Masters in English with a focus in Composition

Economic suicide? Certainly. But at least I'll be learning something I enjoy. I don't need wealth to be happy.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19783 on: January 31, 2014, 08:02:20 PM »

Economic suicide? Certainly. But at least I'll be learning something I enjoy. I don't need wealth to be happy.
You'll make a good barista ;)

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #19784 on: January 31, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »

It's actually quite well in the Bay Area but my family won't let me use it because they're worried I'll get shot or something.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #19785 on: January 31, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »

How did you finish a semester early?

I did Independent Study for about a year and I was able to work at my own pace and power through most of my required work, completing my graduation requirements earlier than expected.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19786 on: January 31, 2014, 08:05:20 PM »

It's actually quite well in the Bay Area but my family won't let me use it because they're worried I'll get shot or something.
I remember the Bart. Pretty good, but really stuffy, funky smell inside. That thick, old upholstery.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19787 on: February 01, 2014, 12:46:56 AM »

You are much more likely to die or get injured in car wreck. But parents . . . what are you gonna do? Wish I had something like the BART.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19788 on: February 01, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #19789 on: February 01, 2014, 09:08:33 AM »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:10:27 AM by Cyrillic »
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!"
-T.S. Eliot

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19790 on: February 01, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »
Quote from: augustin717 link=topic=7837.msg107comple3965#msg1073965 date=1391212940

You'll make a good barista ;)

I'd love to be a barista. I since I'm hopefully completing my MA some day I'll have proper kind of education too.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19791 on: February 01, 2014, 03:21:40 PM »
I just spilled a large glass of diet Sunkist soda all over my floor and printer. HUMBUG!

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #19792 on: February 01, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
I just spilled a large glass of diet Sunkist soda all over my floor and printer. HUMBUG!

I hate when that happens. :)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19793 on: February 01, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »
If you are dialing a phone number within the same area code you do not have to dial the area code at the beginning of the call, otherwise you do.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19794 on: February 02, 2014, 08:20:16 AM »
Why can't I be anyone better like, I dunno, Bill the Pony

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19795 on: February 02, 2014, 08:53:40 AM »
For a week now I've been wondering why my closet smelled like perfume. I just realized that I apparently bought scented garbage bags.  :D

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #19796 on: February 02, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
If you are dialing a phone number within the same area code you do not have to dial the area code at the beginning of the call, otherwise you do.
Not true here. Ten digit dialling is required. There are overlapping area codes. My wife and I have cell phones (no land line) and we have different area codes. She's 905 and I'm 289.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19797 on: February 02, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
Are there any others out thee that don't give a fig about the super duper bowl? Once I'm done wih laundry gotta find myself sonething to do that doesn't involve sitting in front of a screen . Perhaps go for a walk and smoke

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19798 on: February 02, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »
Are there any others out thee that don't give a fig about the super duper bowl? Once I'm done wih laundry gotta find myself sonething to do that doesn't involve sitting in front of a screen . Perhaps go for a walk and smoke

Sounds great. I am "working" and it is playing in the background as noise and stuff to laugh at. I haven't seen nor heard a Superbowl in a few decades.

The stuff I am doing requires a lot of "distraction" for me to concentrate. Smoke one for me, it's been a while and I would love one right now. Like really love one.

The queerest thing about the Superbowl (which fuels the entire US economy) is the obsession with the commercials and the build up to them.

Oh well, we'll see how the commercial interrupting Medical Procedural Drama turns out.

If case anyone is wondering, I am backing the officiating team.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #19799 on: February 03, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
I have long been baffled by people who say, "I only watch it for the commercials" as if that makes them more intelligent than the people who watch it for the football.