Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2071092 times)

Offline Eastern Mind

• Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
  • High Elder
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #19620 on: January 20, 2014, 01:44:58 PM »
Hey, you know that band Train?

Yeah. They're a terrible band.
"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #19621 on: January 20, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
"Tie your mother down, tie your mother down, hit your brother with a brick, watch your father drown. Tie your mother down, tie your mother down, give me all your love tonight". The best version of the song I can come up with after hearing other renditions.

Why would you want to come up with ANY version of it?  Oh...wait...this IS the Random Postings thread.  Silly me. :o
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #19622 on: January 20, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »
What kind of fruit? What do those taste like? tbh I've never had one, as much as I've heard them talked about.

Speaking of, I received one of these at Christmas time and it's still sitting in my freezer... maybe I'll have it tonight:

Ye heavens above! What is this madness?!
"Par ma foi! Il y a plus de quarante ans que je dis de la prose sans que j'en susse rien."
-Molière, The Middle-Class Gentleman.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #19623 on: January 20, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »
"Tie your mother down, tie your mother down, hit your brother with a brick, watch your father drown. Tie your mother down, tie your mother down, give me all your love tonight". The best version of the song I can come up with after hearing other renditions.

Why would you want to come up with ANY version of it?  Oh...wait...this IS the Random Postings thread.  Silly me. :o

Just sounds funny if you can conquer the twistedness.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Believed on in the world, received up in glory.
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #19624 on: January 20, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »
What kind of fruit? What do those taste like? tbh I've never had one, as much as I've heard them talked about.

Speaking of, I received one of these at Christmas time and it's still sitting in my freezer... maybe I'll have it tonight:

Ye heavens above! What is this madness?!

+1
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
« Reply #19625 on: January 20, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
I'm thinking of buying a hair trimmer. Barbers are so expensive around here that shaving my hair myself will save something like 200€ on a yearly basis now that I have short hair again. Any recommendations? I've read some good things about Moser's trimmers but I'd like to consider other options also.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #19626 on: January 21, 2014, 12:11:42 AM »
Did you have your frozen wine, Asteriktos?
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19627 on: January 21, 2014, 12:25:10 AM »
I didn't care much for it tbh.  It tasted too... alcoholy... for me to enjoy.  :angel:

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #19628 on: January 21, 2014, 12:29:19 AM »
Too alcoholy? May I recommend some Boone's Farm? ;)

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19629 on: January 21, 2014, 09:27:46 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a hair trimmer. Barbers are so expensive around here that shaving my hair myself will save something like 200€ on a yearly basis now that I have short hair again. Any recommendations? I've read some good things about Moser's trimmers but I'd like to consider other options also.

The biggest difference is the kind of motor: rotary vs. electric. I am sure not what brands are sold near you. But you don't need salon quality if you are cutting hair once every few weeks.

You can get by with an electric motor if you have fewer hairs or if the hairs are thin, otherwise you will likely thank yourself for getting a rotary.

A decent rotary is going to set you back about $130 or so. 

Also, try learning how to fade your hair rather than just giving it a whack with the same size guard. It looks a lot better that way.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
« Reply #19630 on: January 21, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »

Had to stifle my gag reflex when I saw that.  Do people really still drink that crap?!?!?!?!?  If you don't want "alcoholy" don't drink alcohol.  Fruit juice is nice.  Water, too.  Tea, anybody? ;D
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #19631 on: January 21, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »

Had to stifle my gag reflex when I saw that.  Do people really still drink that crap?!?!?!?!?  If you don't want "alcoholy" don't drink alcohol.  Fruit juice is nice.  Water, too.  Tea, anybody? ;D

I much prefer rooibos

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: OO - Occidental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #19632 on: January 21, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »

I much prefer rooibos

I much prefer vintage port.  But a good Malbec/Tempranillo delights the senses.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19633 on: January 21, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »

The biggest difference is the kind of motor: rotary vs. electric. I am sure not what brands are sold near you. But you don't need salon quality if you are cutting hair once every few weeks.

You can get by with an electric motor if you have fewer hairs or if the hairs are thin, otherwise you will likely thank yourself for getting a rotary.

Also, try learning how to fade your hair rather than just giving it a whack with the same size guard. It looks a lot better that way.

I don't think I've seen many of rotary hair trimmers around here so I didn't even consider that option. Anyway, I already bought Moser 1400 and it seems fine to me. I hope we can spend many happy years together with her. She is a bit stronger than those Philipses and Brauns and others which can be found from local supermarkets and not too expensive either (~50€). Finnish hair is generally fairly thin so that won't be a problem. .

I have no slightest intention to shade my hair. I don't want to to look like Will Smith or just about every teenager around here. For the time being I want the shortest possible stubble and leave it that way. I'd probably shave with a safety razor too if didn't fear cuts.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19634 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »

I don't think I've seen many of rotary hair trimmers around here so I didn't even consider that option. Anyway, I already bought Moser 1400 and it seems fine to me. I hope we can spend many happy years together with her. She is a bit stronger than those Philipses and Brauns and others which can be found from local supermarkets and not too expensive either (~50€). Finnish hair is generally fairly thin so that won't be a problem. .

I have no slightest intention to shade my hair. I don't want to to look like Will Smith or just about every teenager around here. For the time being I want the shortest possible stubble and leave it that way. I'd probably shave with a safety razor too if didn't fear cuts.

It's fade btw and it ain't what you think it has to be.

Anyway, if you were thinking of going bald, then I hope the model you have has interchangeable blades. On decent clippers you change the blades and get an effective shave without all the hassle of shaving.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19635 on: January 21, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »
Anyway, if you were thinking of going bald, then I hope the model you have has interchangeable blades.

She surely has.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #19636 on: January 21, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »

I always assumed people drank Boone's Farm until they turned 21 and could get their hands on better alcohol.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #19637 on: January 21, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »

I always assumed people drank Boone's Farm until they turned 21 and could get their hands on better alcohol.

I just thought it was what high school girls drank.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19638 on: January 21, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
Anyway, if you were thinking of going bald, then I hope the model you have has interchangeable blades.

She surely has.

The Andis BGRC and the ubiquitous Oster 76 with blade heads ranging from #000 to #00000 is what I hear all the black guys using and they have the worst hair to manage in this fashion.

Having finer hair, you might be able to get by with an magnetic motor and shaving with a blade. If you go the blade route, I would say you are a step ahead with a safety razor, make sure you use real shaving cream and keep that scalp hot while you are at it.

Best of luck! I need to either get my hair cut or do it myself. I have thick hairs and a lot of them, save for my gradually thinning hair line and crown, so I guess it is getting easier to do it myself.

I have successfully razor cut layers in a medium cut in my own hair. It just takes so much time. Fading is sorta harder cause there is less room for a mistake.

Also, you can't price out the pleasure of getting a decent cut from a real barber as it includes massage and keeping abreast of the neighborhood gossip.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19639 on: January 21, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »

She surely has.

The Andis BGRC and the ubiquitous Oster 76 with blade heads ranging from #000 to #00000 is what I hear all the black guys using and they have the worst hair to manage in this fashion.

Having finer hair, you might be able to get by with an magnetic motor and shaving with a blade. If you go the blade route, I would say you are a step ahead with a safety razor, make sure you use real shaving cream and keep that scalp hot while you are at it.

Best of luck! I need to either get my hair cut or do it myself. I have thick hairs and a lot of them, save for my gradually thinning hair line and crown, so I guess it is getting easier to do it myself.

I have successfully razor cut layers in a medium cut in my own hair. It just takes so much time. Fading is sorta harder cause there is less room for a mistake.

Also, you can't price out the pleasure of getting a decent cut from a real barber as it includes massage and keeping abreast of the neighborhood gossip.

You should post a photo of yourself with shorter hair. I always thought you would look A LOT better with shorter hair. Almost all men do. Long hair is terrible on guys especially when it is thin and straight.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19640 on: January 21, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
If you go the blade route, I would say you are a step ahead with a safety razor, make sure you use real shaving cream and keep that scalp hot while you are at it.

If you change cream to soap and brush, that's how I shave my beard when I don't use an electric razor. The latter one I use when I feel too lazy or tired to do proper kind of shaving.

I'd like to go for a real barber but it seems so expensive after ten years or so of not having any need to do that. Having long hair had it's benefits as I saved barber expenses. I'm trying to do without also now that I don't have long hair anymore. Beard shave with a straight blade on the other hand sounds like a nice idea. There's a barber near me that offers that. I need to pay a visit there at some point.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:58:12 PM by Alpo »

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #19641 on: January 21, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »

I just thought it was what high school girls drank.

That is a distinct possibility. Although as a former high school girl, I drank a lot more Smirnoff Ice than Boone's Farm. :P

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19642 on: January 21, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
If you go the blade route, I would say you are a step ahead with a safety razor, make sure you use real shaving cream and keep that scalp hot while you are at it.

If you change cream to soap and brush, that's how I shave my beard when I don't use an electric razor. The latter one I use when I feel too lazy or tired to do proper kind of shaving.

I'd like to go for a real barber but it seems so expensive after ten years or so of not having any need to do that. Having long hair had it's benefits as I saved barber expenses. I'm trying to do without also now that I don't have long hair anymore. Beard shave with a straight blade on the other hand sounds like a nice idea. There's a barber near me that offers that. I need to pay a visit there at some point.

What's a trip to the barber set you back in Finnish or wherever you are?

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19643 on: January 21, 2014, 03:12:51 PM »
It depends on the barber and what kind of service you want. I believe the most common price for men is 20€ if you don't want anything special and don't mind going to bad barber. The one I considered before buying a trimmer was 45€. I guess that wouldn't be anyhow impossible amount either if I had proper income and if I wasn't as stingy as I am.

What does it cost around there?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #19644 on: January 21, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
It depends on the barber and what kind of service you want. I believe the most common price for men is 20€ if you don't want anything special and don't mind going to bad barber. The one I considered before buying a trimmer was 45€. I guess that wouldn't be anyhow impossible amount either if I had proper income and if I wasn't as stingy as I am.

What does it cost around there?

Sounds like salon prices.  A reasonable haircut would be about 15€, although in my university's small town there was an old barbershop and the old man charged only $10 (so, 7.38€) for an excellent haircut.  He used a straight razor and everything.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19645 on: January 21, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
IIRC somewhere here is a Turkish barber who offers cheap haircut with a straight razor. I'd try that one but I fear I might end up lookin like a kebab cook with way too much hair wax.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19646 on: January 21, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »
Just met this girl from Portland. Then when she told me her name is Forest I understood why she was born there.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #19647 on: January 21, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
IIRC somewhere here is a Turkish barber who offers cheap haircut with a straight razor. I'd try that one but I fear I might end up lookin like a kebab cook with way too much hair wax.

Don't go bald, Alpo. It's way too cold in Scandinavia.
"Par ma foi! Il y a plus de quarante ans que je dis de la prose sans que j'en susse rien."

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19648 on: January 21, 2014, 04:17:49 PM »
Already did that. I also bought a calypso cap and a pea coat. Those who say that money doesn't bring happiness are simply wrong.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19649 on: January 21, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »
Already did that. I also bought a calypso cap and a pea coat. Those who say that money doesn't bring happiness are simply wrong.
Around here it sems like pea coats went out of fashion at least compared to how things used to be a few years ago. Anyways I permanently ruined mine by riding through the salty slosh on the street without a fender .

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19650 on: January 21, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »
I don't think they are particularly fashionable around here either. I don't follow fashion so it doesn't really matter. I just thought that it would be nice to have a somewhat conservative mens' winter coat which is short and not too casual but not too formal either. Pea coats fits to that description.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #19651 on: January 21, 2014, 05:15:02 PM »

You'll look as if you're homeless with a calypso cap.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19652 on: January 21, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
Nope. More like a hipster or an old-fashioned worker.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #19653 on: January 22, 2014, 05:18:58 AM »
Nope. More like a hipster

Welcome to the club.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #19654 on: January 22, 2014, 05:33:33 AM »

How I pity the American youth.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:11:53 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #19655 on: January 22, 2014, 05:35:49 AM »
I passionately hate doge. Thanks, Eastern Mind, for bringing that annoyance to OCnet.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19656 on: January 22, 2014, 05:43:28 AM »
What would happen if you mixed up some concrete and drank a liter of it?  That seems like it could be trouble...  ???

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #19657 on: January 22, 2014, 05:46:54 AM »
What would happen if you mixed up some concrete and drank a liter of it?  That seems like it could be trouble...  ???

I don't know. It couldn't be any good, though.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #19658 on: January 22, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »

That would be a pretty stupid thing to do, unless you were attempting suicide.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #19659 on: January 22, 2014, 01:13:07 PM »

That would be a pretty stupid thing to do, unless you were attempting suicide.
It would probably taste like those weight loss shakes.

No longer pasting here.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #19660 on: January 22, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »

As well you should.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Όμηρίτης
  • High Elder
  • What does everyone look like?
  • Faith: More Neronov than Avvakum
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite Chapelist
« Reply #19661 on: January 22, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »

As well you should.

Heh. Out here, the youth tend to be drunker than their elders.
Quote from: The Life of Ivan Neronov
[Ecclesiastics] conspired against him because they hated his teaching for its zealous emphasis on proper Christian conduct: with great courage he denounced all whom he saw behaving in an ungodly fashion... [As such] he was deprived of his priestly rank, bound in iron chains, and broken down in jails.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #19662 on: January 22, 2014, 05:02:16 PM »

As well you should.

Heh. Out here, the youth tend to be drunker than their elders.

If "last" is synonymous with "final", you must be in outer space.  How'd you get there, and how'd they (you know, the drunken youth and their elders) get there?  And...how's the weather...? ;D ;D

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19663 on: January 22, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
I passionately hate doge. Thanks, Eastern Mind, for bringing that annoyance to OCnet.

I'll file doge under a non-meme meme I don't know about.

And when I control everything, the only people who will be killed for saying or writing anything will be those who say or write:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Because it would be funny and usually those who say that nonsense, ain't never gonna be the person who suffers a paper cut for someone to get some food, much less lay down their life for someone to say something.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #19664 on: January 22, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »

And when I control everything, the only people who will be killed for saying or writing anything will be those who say or write:

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Because it would be funny and usually those who say that nonsense, ain't never gonna be the person who suffers a paper cut for someone to get some food, much less lay down their life for someone to say something.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:18:17 PM by Cyrillic »