Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2025004 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: OO - Occidental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #19485 on: January 10, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »
I'm enjoying my St. Tikhon's Press wall calendar with daily lectionary and a new icon each month.  It's no Stalin calendar, but...it'll do.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #19486 on: January 10, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »
Who wants to buy this for me? I promise that I will post nice things on the forum every day for a whole year about the person who does.  That kind of publicity is priceless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cruisn-USA-Arcade-Sit-Down-Driving-Game-Videogame-w-new-monitor-Cruising-/191008498265#ht_101wt_922

Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #19487 on: January 10, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
Cruisin USA is garbage.

Only good part of that game is driving a school bus. Although might only be in N64 version.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #19488 on: January 10, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
Who wants to buy this for me? I promise that I will post nice things on the forum every day for a whole year about the person who does.  That kind of publicity is priceless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cruisn-USA-Arcade-Sit-Down-Driving-Game-Videogame-w-new-monitor-Cruising-/191008498265#ht_101wt_922

Hmm... how nice exactly?
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #19489 on: January 10, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »
Cruisin USA is garbage.

Only good part of that game is driving a school bus. Although might only be in N64 version.
You kids have no idea how impressive those graphics were back in the 90's. First time I played, I was pretty sure that graphics could not get any better than that.  It was the pinnacle of arcade game excellence.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #19490 on: January 10, 2014, 10:43:16 AM »

Hmm... how nice exactly?
I will extol your praises and proclaim you to be the archetype of a demigod.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #19491 on: January 10, 2014, 11:01:18 AM »
Cruisin USA is garbage.

You kids have no idea how impressive those graphics were back in the 90's. First time I played, I was pretty sure that graphics could not get any better than that.  It was the pinnacle of arcade game excellence.

4 quarters per play was worth it.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #19492 on: January 10, 2014, 11:04:33 AM »

Hmm... how nice exactly?
I will extol your praises and proclaim you to be the archetype of a demigod.

Hmm, tempting, but I think I will have to pass. Know, though, that I higly praise you for your enthusiasm for arcade game. It brings me back to the nineties and bring back fond memries of all the times I crashed into a wall or accidentally drove in the wrong direction.  :P
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #19493 on: January 10, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »
Cruisin USA is garbage.

4 quarters per play was worth it.
And that was a lot of money when you were only making $4.25 an hour working the drive-thru at Wendy's.

Ahh, memories.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to internets.
« Reply #19494 on: January 10, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »
Good news: Apparently my section's boss would like to hire me. I hope gods of bureaucracy are favorable towards me.

Bad news: My stomach hurts a bit. Hope I don't have fever or anything. I'm rarely sick but for some reason when I get sick it's always on holidays or weekends.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #19495 on: January 10, 2014, 11:21:01 AM »
Good news: Apparently my section's boss would like to hire me. I hope gods of bureaucracy are favorable towards me.

Bad news: My stomach hurts a bit. Hope I don't have fever or anything. I'm rarely sick but for some reason when I get sick it's always on holidays or weekends.
If he is your boss, hasn't he already hired you?

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19496 on: January 10, 2014, 11:34:58 AM »
Strictly speaking, no. I'm not exactly an ordinary official as I am doing my non-military service. I do the same kind job that everybody else does except with crappy allowance while everyone else is actually getting paid for what they do.

Btw, it's she. My boss is a woman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siviilipalvelus
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:36:24 AM by Alpo »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #19497 on: January 10, 2014, 11:54:45 AM »
Strictly speaking, no. I'm not exactly an ordinary official as I am doing my non-military service. I do the same kind job that everybody else does except with crappy allowance while everyone else is actually getting paid for what they do.

A woman!
http://www.viruscomix.com/page330.html
(Funny comic.  Language, I suppose)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19498 on: January 10, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »
Fortunately I don't work in a Third Reich.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #19499 on: January 10, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »
Fortunately I don't work in a Third Reich.

I don't think anyone does nowadays.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19500 on: January 10, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »
*shrugs* Some people act like they did. My boss is fairly easy-going.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #19501 on: January 10, 2014, 02:41:15 PM »
Random post #19501, posted randomly, with a sense of reckless abrandomness, simply because, in a random world, I am gratefully allowed to randomize on this board.
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19502 on: January 10, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #19503 on: January 10, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
Thanks be to God, I had two job interviews this week and I am starting to feel better after my cold.  :angel:
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
« Reply #19504 on: January 10, 2014, 05:03:46 PM »
Thanks be to God, I had two job interviews this week and I am starting to feel better after my cold.  :angel:

Excellent!!

Are you feeling better after your cold because of the job interviews, or because the cold is now gone?

Anyway....best of luck with the jobs!!!  May God grant that you get one and that it's the one you want!
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #19505 on: January 10, 2014, 05:10:56 PM »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19506 on: January 10, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »

You are still getting paid more than the average American worker, I would lay about $2k on that statement.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19507 on: January 10, 2014, 06:36:59 PM »
I'm fairly confident that generally speaking everything is cheaper in the US.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #19508 on: January 10, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

Excellent!!

Are you feeling better after your cold because of the job interviews, or because the cold is now gone?

Anyway....best of luck with the jobs!!!  May God grant that you get one and that it's the one you want!

Thank you! :)

I have been taking medicine and resting a lot, so the cold is on the wane. And I'm pretty happy to have some job leads to pursue.  :laugh:
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #19509 on: January 10, 2014, 06:48:16 PM »
I wish there was a way to unsubscribe to threads that no longer interest me.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19510 on: January 10, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »

Don't go into them?  ???  8)
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Όμηρίτης
  • High Elder
  • Venerable Gregory (Ivan Neronov)
  • Faith: More Neronov than Avvakum
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite Chapelist
« Reply #19511 on: January 10, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »
I spent a whole month ignoring college-related stuff at the end of last semester because I was certain that I had failed my Anthropology course.

What a relief it was to see that I had gotten a "B." It makes no sense but its a relief all the same.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:58:08 PM by Hawkeye »
Quote from: The Life of Ivan Neronov
[Ecclesiastics] conspired against him because they hated his teaching for its zealous emphasis on proper Christian conduct: with great courage he denounced all whom he saw behaving in an ungodly fashion... [As such] he was deprived of his priestly rank, bound in iron chains, and broken down in jails.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #19512 on: January 10, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »

Don't go into them?  ???  8)
Easy for you to say, you're not OCD.  If I click on new replies to your posts, I have to click on all the threads that are there.  Even if I know I have no interest in reading whatever is inside.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19513 on: January 10, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »
I spent a whole month ignoring college-related stuff at the end of last semester because I was certain that I had failed my Anthropology course.

What a relief it was to see that I had gotten a "B." It makes no sense but its a relief all the same.

This is often my approach to life as well. I recommend switching as early as possible  ;)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19514 on: January 10, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »
Easy for you to say, you're not OCD.  If I click on new replies to your posts, I have to click on all the threads that are there.  Even if I know I have no interest in reading whatever is inside.

I'm not sure that my therapist would agree. But then she has a financial incentive to discover new problems I suppose. I am OCD about some thing, but thankfully not about that kinda stuff. Not all the time anyway. Well, what are you going to do then? Will you try to find some of that "will power" stuff I have read about in old time books, or come up with a plan more likely to succeed?  :)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #19515 on: January 10, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »

I'm not sure that my therapist would agree. But then she has a financial incentive to discover new problems I suppose. I am OCD about some thing, but thankfully not about that kinda stuff. Not all the time anyway. Well, what are you going to do then? Will you try to find some of that "will power" stuff I have read about in old time books, or come up with a plan more likely to succeed?  :)
Will power?  No way, that requires self control, and I seriously lack that.  I am going to continue clicking on all the threads and backing back out of them without even reading the most recent posts as I have been doing for the past year. I made the mistake of posting in the "Ban the poster above" thread and that haunts me to this day.  :P

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19516 on: January 10, 2014, 07:11:30 PM »

I've passed an exam just because examiner couldn't understand my handwriting. Everything makes sense after that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:14:04 PM by Alpo »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19517 on: January 10, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
I've passed an exam just because examiner couldn't understand my handwriting.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19518 on: January 10, 2014, 07:47:12 PM »
I wonder if the people of Pittsburgh care if I rock a Raiders jacket or a Giants one.

You'll just get some dirty looks.

Judging by how Ric Flair is now getting death threats for what he did, maybe I was too hasty in assuming that people would be sane and not hassle you.  :-\ :angel:

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19519 on: January 10, 2014, 11:09:32 PM »

And yet your economic share is greater.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19520 on: January 10, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »

Uhhh, you can.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19521 on: January 10, 2014, 11:12:33 PM »

Uhhh, you can.

Profile -> Notifications and Email -> Current Topic Notifications

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19522 on: January 11, 2014, 04:09:38 AM »

And yet your economic share is greater.

Are there any statistics about this?

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #19523 on: January 11, 2014, 02:59:48 PM »
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #19524 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:52 PM »

A recent university study found that 62% of people who use this quote are correct 44% of the time.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #19525 on: January 11, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »

A recent university study found that 62% of people who use this quote are correct 44% of the time.

But only 3 out of 5 endocrinologists agree.

Offline chrevbel

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #19526 on: January 11, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »
Then the other two simply need more endocrination.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #19527 on: January 11, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
Then the other two simply need more endocrination.

Are there camps for that?

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19528 on: January 11, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »
Is it bad that this ethnic old calendar church I know does weddings in between Xmas and epiphany? I kinda like that they don't care just wanted to hear some other opinions

Offline chrevbel

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #19529 on: January 11, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
...just wanted to hear some other opinions...
In my opinion:
  • It really should be called Pineapple downside-up cake.
  • Indoor soccer is different, but in a good way.
  • Sixty is a very useful number.
  • Whoever decided on the spelling for sphygmomanometer really had no business being in the spelling business.