Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2321022 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #19350 on: December 23, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »
I love Apple Mango Tango wings.  They have a nice kick.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #19351 on: December 23, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »
I never thought I'd ever say this but boy do I miss the sunshine.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #19352 on: December 23, 2013, 10:32:27 PM »

You knew the weather here before you left Colorado.  ;)

I miss the colors green...and blue.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19353 on: December 23, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
Telling you I made a point this fall/winter of following the weather in Chicago and compare it with a few northern cities' in Scandinavia and Russia. So far Chicago has had consistently colder weather than Moscow, let alone Helsinki or Stockholm. When people hear I'm from RomAnia they inevitably say-as Midwesterners live to talk about weather - you must be used to this weather. Heck no, back home with minimal protection you could grow figtrees in your backyard.

Offline Alpo

• Lying Chalcedonian Liar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #19354 on: December 24, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »
Telling you I made a point this fall/winter of following the weather in Chicago and compare it with a few northern cities' in Scandinavia and Russia. So far Chicago has had consistently colder weather than Moscow, let alone Helsinki or Stockholm. When people hear I'm from RomAnia they inevitably say-as Midwesterners live to talk about weather - you must be used to this weather. Heck no, back home with minimal protection you could grow figtrees in your backyard.

Maybe I should move to Chicago. I miss proper winter. I've used to having snow and temperature of something like -20°C. Now it's something like 0°C and not any snow in sight.
Quote from: Severian
the people on this forum have to stop taking themselves so seriously. None of us are some modern-day Athanasius, we all just have nothing better to do.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
    • Blog
« Reply #19355 on: December 24, 2013, 08:05:01 AM »

Maybe I should move to Chicago. I miss proper winter. I've used to having snow and temperature of something like -20°C. Now it's something like 0°C and not any snow in sight.

Either number is cold for the South.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #19356 on: December 24, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »

You knew the weather here before you left Colorado.  ;)

I miss the colors green...and blue.
Did you see the temps on Sunday? It was around 60 or 70 felt tropical. I was wearing shorts.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #19357 on: December 24, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
My mother wouldn't allow my father to move us to Chicago because of the qesthee. That sounds insane.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19358 on: December 24, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »

It was -17 C last night when I left work

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #19359 on: December 24, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »

We have nothing else.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • All who love ZZ, honour ZZ!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #19360 on: December 24, 2013, 01:21:51 PM »

We have nothing else.

Um...we?!

"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #19361 on: December 24, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »
Forgive me, I know not what I do, for here I have no city. I'll return to NY on Friday for times of refreshing.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19362 on: December 24, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »
I assume most of our devout and pious posters on the other side of the ocean aren't done with the vigil yet.
Gonna work tonight as usual, so what mass or liturgy I'll attend if any remains to be decided.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #19363 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »
Merry Christmas!  :)

Christ Is Born! Glorify Him!

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19364 on: December 25, 2013, 08:41:10 AM »
So the dream I just woke up from included:

- A month-long assignment to read philosophical books written by Elvis Presley

- A small container at the store filled with eggs that had the yokes taken out of them but which were still for use/sale

- After I reported the egg problem and requested new eggs from my landlord (huh?) the police arrived with a small garbage container filled with a bit of trash and some half-eaten corn cobs. The corn was meant to replace the egg yokes. It also had some bugs, including yellow jackets, and the police asked me to return to trash can to the people they had borrowed it from.

There was more stuff earlier in the dream, but the above is what I remember from the end of the dream; and then I woke up. What is going on here?  ;D  ???
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
The original bleeding heart ♫
That is what thou art ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19365 on: December 25, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »
Didn't we have some fight about patriatch Bartholomew's alleged liberal abortion stance some time ago? He wrote fairly straightforward condemnation of abortion in his Christmas message.
the people on this forum have to stop taking themselves so seriously. None of us are some modern-day Athanasius, we all just have nothing better to do.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #19366 on: December 25, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »
There was more stuff earlier in the dream, but the above is what I remember from the end of the dream; and then I woke up. What is going on here?  ;D  ???

It's the season for weird dreams, it seems. Yesterday mine included my grandparents' village, which is as sleepy as they get, go on lockdown and be swarmed by anti-terrorism agents. And normally I don't even dream at all. ???
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #19367 on: December 25, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
So the dream I just woke up from included:

- A month-long assignment to read philosophical books written by Elvis Presley

- A small container at the store filled with eggs that had the yokes taken out of them but which were still for use/sale

- After I reported the egg problem and requested new eggs from my landlord (huh?) the police arrived with a small garbage container filled with a bit of trash and some half-eaten corn cobs. The corn was meant to replace the egg yokes. It also had some bugs, including yellow jackets, and the police asked me to return to trash can to the people they had borrowed it from.

Ask your kids. I'm sure they'll agree that it means all of your "yolks" are corny and should be trashed.  ;D

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #19368 on: December 28, 2013, 12:01:08 AM »
I'm in NY! Wooohoooo!!!! All is right with the world again.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #19369 on: December 28, 2013, 12:35:23 AM »

Welcome home! 

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19370 on: December 28, 2013, 05:30:59 AM »
The caffeine in coffee taps into the brain's dopamine stores, mimicking the euphoric effects commonly associated with harder drugs like cocaine and ecstasy.

And if that's not enough to convince you of the drink's powerful effect, know that coffee activates a system in our brains that secretes marijuana-like chemicals that control, among feeding and feelings of hunger, levels of happiness and euphoria.

http://www.businessinsider.com/two-things-make-coffee-irresistable-2011-10

The article is from 2011 but I hadn't noticed that before. I'm somewhat suprised over this. I've been taught that coffee keeps you awake but I had no idea of those somewhat euphoric effect. It fits my experience though.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #19371 on: December 28, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #19372 on: December 28, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »
Society prepares the crime, the criminal commits it.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19373 on: December 28, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
I think I like Dostoevsky for the same reasons other people dislike him. I need to dig up one of the Dostoevsky threads soon.
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
That is what thou art ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19374 on: December 29, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »

Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
That is what thou art ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19375 on: December 29, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »
This place is more mental once you don't really look at it for week or so. Wow.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #19376 on: December 29, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »

I should have smuggled myself in your luggage.

Offline chrevbel

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #19377 on: December 30, 2013, 03:06:53 AM »
I should have smuggled myself in your luggage.
As a lethal weapon, you'd have been confiscated by security.  You'd be sitting in a acrylic display case somewhere, surrounded by knives, ivory and exotic pelts, serving as a warning to others.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
    • Blog
« Reply #19378 on: December 30, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »
I'll never understand people walking on their knees during pilgrimages.

Online Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Level 13 Chalcedonian Paladin
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #19379 on: December 30, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
I was at a funeral recently and on one of the tombstones in the cemetery was inscribed "Boven bij Jezus" - "Up there with Jesus". The only problem was that the lower half of the 'B' was faded and so the 'B' became an 'R', thus reading "Roven bij Jezus" - "Robbing with Jesus".

Of course, laughing was inappropriate and I went through a lot of lip-biting to suppress it. Someone should probably take a look at the tombstone.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:09:16 PM by Cyrillic »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

Ἀπ' ὃσα ἒκαμα κι ἀπ’ ὃσα εἶπα
νὰ μὴ ζητήσουνε νὰ βροῦν ποιός ἢμουν
-C.P Cavafy

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19380 on: December 30, 2013, 05:48:20 PM »
I was at a funeral recently and on one of the tombstones in the cemetery was inscribed "Boven bij Jezus" - "Up there with Jesus". The only problem was that the lower half of the 'B' was faded and now became an 'R', thus reading "Roven bij Jezus" - "Robbing with Jesus".

Of course, laughing was inappropriate and I went through a lot of lip-biting to suppress it. Someone should probably take a look at the tombstone.
They're robbing he'll together

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #19381 on: December 30, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »
I was at a funeral recently and on one of the tombstones in the cemetery was inscribed "Boven bij Jezus" - "Up there with Jesus". The only problem was that the lower half of the 'B' was faded and now became an 'R', thus reading "Roven bij Jezus" - "Robbing with Jesus".

Awesome...what started as a funny observation at a cemetery has become a powerful affirmation of our belief in Christ's victory over death and hell. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #19382 on: December 30, 2013, 11:40:06 PM »

Awesome...what started as a funny observation at a cemetery has become a powerful affirmation of our belief in Christ's victory over death and hell. 
leave it to augustin.  He always did have a knack for seeking the divine in all things.
Praise to be kelly the all-benificent for granting me permission to change my sig line.

Obligatory: "It's a mystery! Ask your priest/spiritual father. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. Marital fasting."

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19383 on: December 31, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
May the new year bring us peace z d joy and an epidemic of suicides and other gruesome ends among the upper class. It has become a tradition for me to toast first for this or for something similar.

Online Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19384 on: December 31, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »
May the new year bring us peace z d joy and an epidemic of suicides and other gruesome ends among the upper class. It has become a tradition for me to toast first for this or for something similar.

You jelly.

-C.P Cavafy

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19385 on: December 31, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
Just ran to get some essentials before returning to my work for the night.

Just wanted to let everyone know that in case you are lonely, according to a vanity plate I saw on the way home, at least one person in Cincinnati is down with OPP.

If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19386 on: January 01, 2014, 12:24:57 AM »
Looks like I will be literally sweeping in the New Year.

My age old question: which is the more ridiculous holiday, New Year's or The Fourth of July?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #19387 on: January 01, 2014, 01:35:14 AM »
There were 5,188 posts on this thread in 2013.

Online Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19388 on: January 01, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
One of Dvorak's violin pieces has been labeled 'explicit' on Spotify  :-\

-C.P Cavafy

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #19389 on: January 01, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
Happy St. Basil's Day!  :angel:

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #19390 on: January 01, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
Happy 12th Birthday to the Euro.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #19391 on: January 01, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »

You jelly.

???  Is it my age, my colossal ignorance, my being an American, or some combination of those that renders that unintelligible to me?
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Online Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #19392 on: January 01, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »

You jelly.

???  Is it my age, my colossal ignorance, my being an American, or some combination of those that renders that unintelligible to me?

I inquired whether he was jealous.

-C.P Cavafy

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #19393 on: January 01, 2014, 09:05:52 PM »

You jelly.

I inquired whether he was jealous.

Oh.  Okay.   8)
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #19394 on: January 01, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »
Lettuce beet reality, do you even misc?
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫
That is what thou art ♫
Jesus ♫   ♫   ♫   ♫