Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1981604 times)

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #18495 on: November 06, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »

So, here's a Random Post....

Since it's fall, and I live in Michigan...there's tons of apples.

What is your favorite apple?

I like Pink Lady. 

I once had an apple called Kiku....I thought it was great, but, I can't find them anymore.

Empire Apples are my favourites

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #18496 on: November 06, 2013, 10:49:13 AM »
Fuji, but Pink Lady is good.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
« Reply #18497 on: November 06, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »
We found a little place in the Catoctins that sells THE BEST applesauce EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!  Sweetened and unsweetened.  Plain or with spices.  Made from yellow Delicious apples.  To die for!!!!!
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #18498 on: November 06, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »
We found a little place in the Catoctins that sells THE BEST applesauce EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!  Sweetened and unsweetened.  Plain or with spices.  Made from yellow Delicious apples.  To die for!!!!!
Martrydom of applesauce.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
« Reply #18499 on: November 06, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
Martrydom of applesauce.

;)
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #18500 on: November 06, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »
TheTrisagion, why aren't you enriching this forum at the pace that we're used to? You're not doing your job.
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18501 on: November 06, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »
TheTrisagion, why aren't you enriching this forum at the pace that we're used to? You're not doing your job.

I might be wrong, but I believe that he is not enriching this forum at his previous pace precisely because he IS doing his (new) job.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #18502 on: November 06, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »

I might be wrong, but I believe that he is not enriching this forum at his previous pace precisely because he IS doing his (new) job.

This is correct.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
« Reply #18503 on: November 06, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »
No man can have two masters, and we owned him before his current employer did.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:29:50 PM by Cyrillic »
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18504 on: November 06, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »

Don't you mean, "No man can have two masters simultaneously"?

We may have owned him before, but obviously the pay and benefits package wasn't good enough.  This is NOT the place to discuss employer master-provided health care.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:57:39 PM by J Michael »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18505 on: November 06, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »

We may have owned him before, but obviously the pay and benefits package wasn't good enough.  This is NOT the place to discuss employer master-provided health care.

They break our legs and we thank them when they give us crutches.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #18506 on: November 06, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »

I have found that the Golden Delicious apples one buys in the grocery store, taste markedly differently from the apples you pick right from the tree.

Last year I went to the orchard and I usually steer clear of golden and red delicious, however, I had parked the car right under one, and reached out and plucked a beautiful greenish yellow apple...and it was soooooo good!  I picked a whole bushel of them.

However, I don't care how fresh they are, the ones in the store, are not the same.  Short shelf life?  Perhaps the sugars change the texture and the sweetness really quickly.

I just know that if you put them side by side and did a taste test, you would swear they were not the same apple.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
« Reply #18507 on: November 06, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

I can't remember selling him, so, by all means, he still belongs to us.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:30:44 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18508 on: November 06, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »

I have found that the Golden Delicious apples one buys in the grocery store, taste markedly differently from the apples you pick right from the tree.

Last year I went to the orchard and I usually steer clear of golden and red delicious, however, I had parked the car right under one, and reached out and plucked a beautiful greenish yellow apple...and it was soooooo good!  I picked a whole bushel of them.

However, I don't care how fresh they are, the ones in the store, are not the same.  Short shelf life?  Perhaps the sugars change the texture and the sweetness really quickly.

I just know that if you put them side by side and did a taste test, you would swear they were not the same apple.

QFT!

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18509 on: November 06, 2013, 01:31:33 PM »

I can't remember selling him so, by all means, he still belongs to us.

Hmmm..........Guess you'd better that up with him and his new employer.  Perhaps this will go down in history as "The Battle for the Trisagion".

But also remember, that a man who sells himself to one party would have no qualms selling himself to another, even if not "released" by the former.  That's the nature of the business, I think. ;D

A final thought on the matter--maybe your memory ain't what it used to be.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:32:29 PM by J Michael »

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #18510 on: November 06, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »
Random fact of the day: Colloquial Finnish pretty much lacks letter d. That is, if we aren't talking about loanwords. It's kind of weird to realize that desite it being established part of written language nobody really uses it in day-to-day life.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:30:57 PM by Alpo »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #18511 on: November 06, 2013, 10:54:04 PM »
The other day, when composing a post, I started a sentence with It.   :-[

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18512 on: November 06, 2013, 11:47:57 PM »

You got a Chumbawamba story?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18513 on: November 07, 2013, 12:08:44 AM »

You got a Chumbawamba story?

You don't know? Weird.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #18514 on: November 07, 2013, 12:18:03 AM »
I hereby renounce OC.net, and all its works, and all its empty promises.

I am tired of the lack of charity from others and the lack of charity from myself. I am tired of all the pseudo information about Orthodoxy. I'm tired of the slapstick comedy threads. I'm tired of losing friends, wasting time when I should be studying, and getting mad at trolls.

I will never post on OC.net again. If you want to contact me, find JamesR, and he shall guide you.

Goodbye!

PS it's all orthonorm's fault
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #18515 on: November 07, 2013, 12:38:16 AM »

Sure it is!

This would be a decision I'd admire and maybe even envy you for, if only you didn't 'look back in anger'.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18516 on: November 07, 2013, 01:26:30 AM »
I will never post on OC.net again.

Famous last words before the next post.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #18517 on: November 07, 2013, 01:48:10 AM »

I am tired of the lack of charity from others and the lack of charity from myself. I am tired of all the pseudo information about Orthodoxy. I'm tired of the slapstick comedy threads. I'm tired of losing friends, wasting time when I should be studying, and getting mad at trolls.

I will never post on OC.net again. If you want to contact me, find JamesR, and he shall guide you.

Goodbye!

You'll be back; remember when you rage quit BiC countless times and then returned?
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
« Reply #18518 on: November 07, 2013, 04:34:48 AM »
You'll be back, William.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:38:06 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18519 on: November 07, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »

Goodbye!

May God be with you.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18520 on: November 07, 2013, 11:34:52 AM »
Page 412... my area code!

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18521 on: November 07, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
Google releases a new phone mere months after I get the 4.

Ugh. All the reviews are praising it.

Yep 350 best phone on the market.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #18522 on: November 07, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »

Goodbye!

Wishing you all the best.

Sometimes, it is good to get away from all the drama and the divas.

Come back when you are ready.  We'll leave the light on for you.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #18523 on: November 07, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »
So, I was just walking down the street in Brasov, when I came across a group of people handing out pamphlets. Appearently, they were members of the Independent Baptist Church of Brasov. On my way back, a little girl handed to me a copy of the Gospel of John.
I just couldn't help smiling.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18524 on: November 07, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »

Goodbye!

Only divas make a big todo about leaving anywhere.

I like think the best of people, so I like to think William is trolling in the best sense of word here.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18525 on: November 07, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »

Goodbye!

Only divas make a big todo about leaving anywhere.

I like think the best of people, so I like to think William is trolling in the best sense of word here.

I gotta agree with you.  But, hey...at least he said "goodbye", if indeed it is that. ;)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18526 on: November 07, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
It took almost ten years but it seems like I'm turning normal again. I'm tired of theology.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18527 on: November 07, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
It took almost ten years but it seems like I'm turning normal again. I'm tired of theology.
thats a good sign.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18528 on: November 07, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »
What's theology?

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18529 on: November 07, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »

96 years ago

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #18530 on: November 07, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
What's theology?

What's normal?
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18531 on: November 07, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »
What's theology?

What's normal?

What's what?

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18532 on: November 07, 2013, 04:19:12 PM »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #18533 on: November 07, 2013, 04:24:13 PM »

96 years ago

Ah, the dawn of a new day, full of hope:

To your health!

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18534 on: November 07, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »

96 years ago

To your health!

:'( x tens of millions.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18535 on: November 07, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
Mor are those from the black hundreds?

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #18536 on: November 07, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
What's theology?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html

That's a bad example of theology, but wearisome indeed.  ::)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #18537 on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:32 PM »
No idea, augustin, I just searched Google for photos of destroyed churches and it led me here.

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #18538 on: November 07, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »

96 years ago

To your health!

Oh, for some reason I thought the people in the bottom picture were janissaries.
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18539 on: November 07, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »

96 years ago

To your health!

Oh, for some reason I thought the people in the bottom picture were janissaries.

I did, too, at first.  Then I went to reply and saw the title of the image.