Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2014658 times)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #18225 on: October 23, 2013, 01:16:18 AM »
If y'all keep us at an average of 703+ posts/day for the rest of October, this will be our first-ever 20,000+ post month.  It may be attainable (we've had a number of 750+ posting days in the last few months).

Please, someone, start a thread about how the Pope of Rome should be the head of the universal Church.  In addition to the other threads we already have about that (which should be bumped).  Those are popular.   

I'm not sure that we should attain the prize at all costs!

But if you just want to stir up annoying topics that have been discussed too much, why not re-open some discussions on pews and kneeling on Sunday in the Liturgy section? (Arimethea will love you for that!)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:16:33 AM by Fr. George »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Christ is risen!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #18226 on: October 23, 2013, 02:55:00 AM »
But if you just want to stir up annoying topics that have been discussed too much, why not re-open some discussions on pews and kneeling on Sunday in the Liturgy section?

Honestly, I would've defaulted to being lazy, but then you said this:

(Arimethea will love you for that!)

I'm still leaning toward lazy, but I'll have to think about it a bit more. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #18227 on: October 23, 2013, 07:29:21 AM »
Just won my first eBay auction. Now, if only the seller hurries a bit, I may have the goods before I go out of town.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18228 on: October 23, 2013, 07:36:38 AM »
Just won my first eBay auction. Now, if only the seller hurries a bit, I may have the goods before I go out of town.
Never ebayed???
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #18229 on: October 23, 2013, 07:37:30 AM »
Never ebayed???

I've bought stuff, sure, but never before chanced an auction.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18230 on: October 23, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »
Never ebayed???

I've bought stuff, sure, but never before chanced an auction.
I think my ratio for Buy It Now items is like 100:1

I rarely auction too.

Usually I forget even if its on my watch list.

Instead of sitting a mininum bid, I like to sneak in the last 30 seconds to bid.

Too many big sellers create fake accounts to bump up the auction price. So if you keep bidding days before its over, you'd prob spend more money dealing with those alt accts.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:40:35 AM by Achronos »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18231 on: October 23, 2013, 06:37:36 PM »

I hate everybody who does this.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #18232 on: October 23, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Can you stand on your head?
  • Faith: Alpaca Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #18233 on: October 23, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »

Word.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: OO - Occidental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #18234 on: October 24, 2013, 07:43:26 AM »

Whenever I see this, I think the parents are really saying, "Follow me to my house and kidnap my children.  Please."
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #18235 on: October 24, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »

Whenever I see this, I think the parents are really saying, "Follow me to my house and kidnap my children.  Please."

Interesting line of thought.  When I see it, I think they're saying, "Follow me to my house and kidnap my pets to make them for dinner."  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually, the ONLY place I've ever seen that is on this board.  Why would that be, I wonder? 8)
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #18236 on: October 24, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
If y'all keep us at an average of 703+ posts/day for the rest of October, this will be our first-ever 20,000+ post month.  It may be attainable (we've had a number of 750+ posting days in the last few months).

Please, someone, start a thread about how the Pope of Rome should be the head of the universal Church.  In addition to the other threads we already have about that (which should be bumped).  Those are popular.   

I'm not sure that we should attain the prize at all costs!

But if you just want to stir up annoying topics that have been discussed too much, why not re-open some discussions on pews and kneeling on Sunday in the Liturgy section? (Arimethea will love you for that!)

I note that someone resurrected the Nathaniel Kepner thread, that's always good for the spleen. (and many, many posts....) Kinda like the proverbial 'bad penny.'

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #18237 on: October 24, 2013, 01:41:26 PM »
I'm tempted to bump the "Caballine Nectar" thread.  You know, for informational purposes.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
« Reply #18238 on: October 24, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
I'm tempted to bump the "Caballine Nectar" thread.  You know, for informational purposes.

I seriously doubt that we have exhausted the well of discussion of Caballine Nectar.  It is time.
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #18239 on: October 24, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
Please don't.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18240 on: October 24, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »
Please don't.

HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #18241 on: October 24, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »
During last ten years it's been maybe two times that I went to a barber. I'd like to cut my hair but I'm having a huuuge crisis over it. I've been long-haired for too long.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est edere orbem universum
« Reply #18242 on: October 24, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »
During last ten years it's been maybe two times that I went to a barber. I'd like to cut my hair but I'm having a huuuge crisis over it. I've been long-haired for too long.

Don't do it. Long hair is better.
"April is the cruellest month, breeding
lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
memory and desire, stirring
dull roots with spring rain."
-T.S. Eliot

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est edere orbem universum
« Reply #18243 on: October 24, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »

Interesting line of thought.  When I see it, I think they're saying, "Follow me to my house and kidnap my pets to make them for dinner."  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually, the ONLY place I've ever seen that is on this board.  Why would that be, I wonder? 8)

You've only seen people kidnap eachother's pets for food on OC.net? You really do live under a rock. Help yourself to a kitten and start cooking.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:31:03 PM by Cyrillic »
"April is the cruellest month, breeding
lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
memory and desire, stirring
dull roots with spring rain."
-T.S. Eliot

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #18244 on: October 24, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »

It's fairly easy and cheap as one doesn't really have to do anything for long hair. At least if we're talking about men, that is. But it would be fun to something else for a change. I can grow them back if I'm not satisfied.

But still. :o
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:35:02 PM by Alpo »

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18245 on: October 24, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »

You've only seen people kidnap eachother's pets for food on OC.net? You really do live under a rock. Help yourself to a kitten and start cooking.

I would NEVER kill, cook, and eat a kitten.  You must be a heathen to even suggest such barbarism!!!!  Now, a puppy...............I'll bet hecma925 might have some good recipes.  Well, maybe not.  I seem to recall he's a dog person ( ;D.  Or, perhaps you do. ;D ;D

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #18246 on: October 24, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »

It's fairly easy and cheap as one doesn't really have to do anything for long hair. At least if we're talking about men, that is. But it would be fun to something else for a change. I can grow them back if I'm not satisfied.

My hair is so short that I once had a guy come up to be after DL and thank me for my service in the military.  Yeah, that was awkward...

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #18247 on: October 24, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »
I personally don't have any recipes for dog or cat, but as I have related in a nother thread, I strongly suspect that I have already eaten some feline and canine delicacies.  I didn't get sick and I ate it all, whatever it was.  When you think of the cultures that prepare dog/cat in their cuisine and the types of seasoning/preparations that are done, it makes sense.  Sunday roast cat with Yorkshire pudding or dog spaghetti doesn't sound appetizing.  But cat egg roll?  Szechuan dog?  I could go for that.  Lots of veggies, tasty sauces, some kimchi maybe (Right, J Michael? ;D); that can cover up any distinct feline/canine flavor that could have possibly been there.

I have prepared and eaten stewed squirrel.  It was ok.  Maybe an Asian-type preparation would have been more appetizing.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #18248 on: October 24, 2013, 02:44:01 PM »

My hair is so short that I once had a guy come up to be after DL and thank me for my service in the military.  Yeah, that was awkward...
I hope you at least gave a firm handshake.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #18249 on: October 24, 2013, 02:56:37 PM »
I personally don't have any recipes for dog or cat, but as I have related in a nother thread, I strongly suspect that I have already eaten some feline and canine delicacies.  I didn't get sick and I ate it all, whatever it was.  When you think of the cultures that prepare dog/cat in their cuisine and the types of seasoning/preparations that are done, it makes sense.  Sunday roast cat with Yorkshire pudding or dog spaghetti doesn't sound appetizing.  But cat egg roll?  Szechuan dog?  I could go for that.  Lots of veggies, tasty sauces, some kimchi maybe (Right, J Michael? ;D); that can cover up any distinct feline/canine flavor that could have possibly been there.

I have prepared and eaten stewed squirrel.  It was ok.  Maybe an Asian-type preparation would have been more appetizing.
I ate guinea pig when I was in Peru. It was not as good as I was hoping.  :(

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18250 on: October 24, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »

Probably because it wasn't sprinkled with a quality ear wax.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #18251 on: October 24, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
This is what it looks like. It still has the teeth in the skull and everything.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18252 on: October 24, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »

This is where I post my favorite last supper painting yet again:

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #18253 on: October 24, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »
I saw that piece of art in person.  Actually, I attended Mass at the Cathedral where it hangs.  I was also smacked by a guy with a stick for putting my hands in my pockets after Mass.  Apparently, they take that pretty seriously.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:09:28 PM by TheTrisagion »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #18254 on: October 24, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »
So the Last Supper was a barbecue.  Jesus is Southern.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18255 on: October 24, 2013, 03:10:22 PM »
I saw that piece of art in person.  Actually, I attended Mass at the Cathedral where it hangs.  I was also smacked by a guy with a stick for putting my hands in my pockets after Mass.  Apparently, they take that pretty seriously.

Having lived in the building trades for a while, it is an act punishable by getting hit with a blunt object.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #18256 on: October 24, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »

Having lived in the building trades for a while, it is an act punishable by getting hit with a blunt object.

My hands were cold, they should cut a guy some slack.  :laugh:

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18257 on: October 24, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »

Especially then, the whole point was not to have your hands in pockets when you slipped and fell. We actually did see a guy hit ice and crack his skull open. He was drunk and with hands deep into his pockets.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #18258 on: October 24, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »

I knew this Orthodox priest who would positively rail at anyone in Church (usually males) with hands in their pockets.  He never went so far as to smack them, but his words and looks could do far more damage. ::)

Offline ilyazhito

• High Elder
« Reply #18259 on: October 24, 2013, 06:46:54 PM »
Do not hold hands in pockets. IS OUTRAGE! Saints did not hold hands in pockets.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:47:16 PM by ilyazhito »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #18260 on: October 25, 2013, 07:23:27 AM »
Is it just me or is the "OrthoDOX motivATiOnal posT(H)E(O)rs" thread not very motivating lately?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #18261 on: October 25, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »
My 1776th post had to do with the unreliable statistics of child hunger in the US.  'MERICA.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #18262 on: October 25, 2013, 04:22:07 PM »
There is a nice church in the Middle of Brasov, that I love to vist. It is so peaceful.  :)
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18263 on: October 26, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
Isa, ever heard of Omar Souleyman? He's from Syria.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18264 on: October 27, 2013, 04:15:54 AM »
Ughhhhhhh I hate that I gotta wait until Wednesday for my new work headphones. I forgot Guitar Center price matches amazon.com

I really hope these Sony's are all the hype. I never buy from large companies like them, but all studio musicians use em either for recording, tracking, mixing and mastering. The freq response is supposedly flat.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18265 on: October 27, 2013, 06:23:47 PM »
Lou Reed is dead. Wow.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #18266 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #18267 on: October 28, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »
Has anyone ever told stories or something to someone and they think you are full of crap and no longer trust you, even if what you told them is the truth?

Or even if you made a "factual" mistake and meant something else, you lose credibility?

This happened today when explaining my situation a few years ago. Nobody believes I worked 10 hr's a week for basically scraps. Some dude actually calculated the money I was making and called me out on it. Like wth? How am I suposoed to know exactly from 5 years ago?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:33:54 AM by Achronos »

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #18268 on: October 28, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
Has anyone ever told stories or something to someone and they think you are full of crap and no longer trust you, even if what you told them is the truth?

Or even if you made a "factual" mistake and meant something else, you lose credibility?

This happened today when explaining my situation a few years ago. Nobody believes I worked 10 hr's a week for basically scraps. Some dude actually calculated the money I was making and called me out on it. Like wth? How am I suposoed to know exactly from 5 years ago?
These situations are best rectified telling everyone that you are a former MMA fighter and then punch the guy who called you out in the throat.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18269 on: October 28, 2013, 10:44:36 AM »
Lou Reed is dead. Wow.

He did one decent song at least. More than most folks, so he should be happy.