Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1971589 times)

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #17910 on: October 12, 2013, 04:07:28 AM »
Been a long time since I found a place I could smoke a cigar indoors.  Enjoying one, a soda and a good book. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #17911 on: October 12, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
Dear all,

I have a serious linguistic problem.

Is it anyhow common among native English-speakers to write sentences without subject? I'm not referring to passives but rather to sentences where I am the subject.

My brains are trying to tell me that it is grammatically incorrect but for some reason it doesn't sound wrong.
Can you give me an example?  It is Saturday morning and my brain isn't thinking properly.
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #17912 on: October 12, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »
Dear all,

I have a serious linguistic problem.

Is it anyhow common among native English-speakers to write sentences without subject? I'm not referring to passives but rather to sentences where I am the subject.

My brains are trying to tell me that it is grammatically incorrect but for some reason it doesn't sound wrong.
Will have to get back to you later on this one.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #17913 on: October 12, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »

If you have an example, that would be helpful. 

To my knowledge (I never studied grammar further than what the nuns taught me), it would be grammatically incorrect most of the time.  Colloquially, I might look over at a friend as I leave the apartment and say "Going to the store."  Since I am saying it, and I'm the one in the act of leaving, it would be presumed that I'm the subject, so it would make sense.  But if my friend was the one leaving, I could say the exact same words as a question "Going to the store?" and again the subject would be implied.  In both cases, however, I don't think it's grammatically correct. 

On the other hand, commands can be given without a subject, and they are grammatically correct.  So, "Go to the store!" or even "Go!" are perfectly acceptable as complete sentences.   
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
« Reply #17914 on: October 12, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »

To my knowledge (I never studied grammar further than what the nuns taught me), it would be grammatically incorrect most of the time.  Colloquially, I might look over at a friend as I leave the apartment and say "Going to the store."  Since I am saying it, and I'm the one in the act of leaving, it would be presumed that I'm the subject, so it would make sense.  But if my friend was the one leaving, I could say the exact same words as a question "Going to the store?" and again the subject would be implied.  In both cases, however, I don't think it's grammatically correct. 

On the other hand, commands can be given without a subject, and they are grammatically correct.  So, "Go to the store!" or even "Go!" are perfectly acceptable as complete sentences.   
Going to differ with you a bit on this. Your examples (and my opening sentence) fit the rules (i.e. grammar) of colloquial English. However, you are correct if you mean, and I expect you do, that they do not fit the rules of literary English. It's a bit like the clothing we wear: what is appropriate and correct for the beach is not appropriate and correct for a formal dinner (I wanted to say "church", but we've had that discussion a bit too often lately  ;D).

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Eastern America
« Reply #17915 on: October 12, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »

I'm not sure if it's proper English, or just a personal thing due to my french, but the interrogative is correct if you raise your voice at the end. so, going to the stORE?

Either way, if they arent by the book correct, no one will look at you funny if you do. Just like my old french (from around paris) teacher that used texter instead of envoyer une message SMS, both meaning to text.

Offline genesisone

• Archon
« Reply #17916 on: October 12, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »
Just like my old french (from around paris) teacher that used texter instead of envoyer une message SMS, both meaning to text.
In Québec, texter is correct and official - a fact which actually surprises me somewhat as the Office québécois de la langue française usually abhors anglicisms.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17917 on: October 12, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »
Going to differ with you a bit on this. Your examples (and my opening sentence) fit the rules (i.e. grammar) of colloquial English. However, you are correct if you mean, and I expect you do, that they do not fit the rules of literary English. It's a bit like the clothing we wear: what is appropriate and correct for the beach is not appropriate and correct for a formal dinner (I wanted to say "church", but we've had that discussion a bit too often lately  ;D).

You understood my point.  :) 

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #17918 on: October 12, 2013, 04:49:38 PM »
YOLO is our carpe diem.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17919 on: October 13, 2013, 03:20:38 AM »
For my 5,000th post I simply say, "Meh."

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #17920 on: October 13, 2013, 11:35:13 AM »
It seems that I should trust my instincts when it comes to English language. Never had much use for spoken English in real life so I'm not really sure what's colloquialism and what's basically just incorrect grammar.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:36:01 AM by Alpo »

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #17921 on: October 13, 2013, 02:05:07 PM »
It seems that I should trust my instincts when it comes to English language. Never had much use for spoken English in real life so I'm not really sure what's colloquialism and what's basically just incorrect grammar.

You sound like your a native English speaker then.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #17922 on: October 13, 2013, 02:19:14 PM »
After resisting for a long time, I finally got myself an ebay profile, in order to place a bid. We'll see how that goes.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17923 on: October 13, 2013, 02:21:21 PM »

You sound like your a native English speaker then.

LOL

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #17924 on: October 14, 2013, 02:23:13 AM »

That cop rules.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #17925 on: October 14, 2013, 02:29:19 AM »

Memories of middle school flood me.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #17926 on: October 14, 2013, 02:31:58 AM »
From the 90s

Oh my yes.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:32:11 AM by Achronos »

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline ilyazhito

• High Elder
« Reply #17927 on: October 14, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
Banned for downloading a song from Napster.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #17928 on: October 14, 2013, 05:30:03 PM »
(Old-timer speak)

This thread began as a count-down to 100,000 posts; in fact, the high posting volume in this thread helped us get "over the hump" faster than what we were on pace for. 

We're now within striking distance of 1,000,000 posts.  Less than 300 posts to go (less than a day's work).

That's all.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17929 on: October 14, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
What do we get when we hit the one million mark?  Please say it's a plenary indulgence, pretty please with hot fudge and a fresh cherry on top. 

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17930 on: October 14, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
What do we get when we hit the one million mark?  Please say it's a plenary indulgence, pretty please with hot fudge and a fresh cherry on top. 

Can I even do that?  You're the one "laying claim to the Phanar!"  Or is your claim more of a property lien than an ecclesiastical dispute?
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17931 on: October 14, 2013, 05:50:51 PM »
Can I even do that?  You're the one "laying claim to the Phanar!"  Or is your claim more of a property lien than an ecclesiastical dispute?

I'm pretty sure there's a canon preventing me from exercising ministry in your canonical territory without your permission.  But if you allow me, EVERYONE GETS A PLENARY INDULGENCE! 

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17932 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure there's a canon preventing me from exercising ministry in your canonical territory without your permission.  But if you allow me, EVERYONE GETS A PLENARY INDULGENCE!   

I'm glad you're willing to grant us less time in a place we don't even believe exists!  Greater men offer so much less!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17933 on: October 14, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
I'm glad you're willing to grant us less time in a place we don't even believe exists!  Greater men offer so much less!

Speaking of things we don't even believe exist...greater men than I? 

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17934 on: October 14, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »

Speaking of things we don't even believe exist...greater men than I? 

I prostrate before you and beg your forgiveness.

(Yes, almost wrote "I prostate before you," which would be a major problem.)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17935 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »

You have no idea how many times I've almost made that mistake.  What the heck!  :P

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17936 on: October 14, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »

You have no idea how many times I've almost made that mistake.  What the heck!  :P

I've got 3-4 replies that jumped off the tongue when I read this, but none are forum appropriate.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #17937 on: October 14, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Eastern America
« Reply #17938 on: October 14, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
we now have less than 100 posts left until 1 million

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17939 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
we now have less than 100 posts left until 1 million

It's exciting!

(OK, I need to get a life.)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17940 on: October 14, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »
With this post, there are 40 left until 1M.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:07:23 PM by Fr. George »

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #17941 on: October 14, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »
Is there a prize for the millionth post? :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17942 on: October 14, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »
Nope.  (I wish we had it in the budget)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #17943 on: October 14, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
5 posts left!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:35:57 PM by Fr. George »

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #17944 on: October 15, 2013, 03:48:58 AM »
All of my internet friends have now converted to Eastern Orthodoxy, and I alone have escaped to tell you.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #17945 on: October 15, 2013, 03:53:13 AM »

Memories of middle school flood me.

That actually happened to me once, but her dad was surprisingly a nice guy. He was this lazy old retired German guy married to a Filipina and the girl was their only child. He liked tobacco.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #17946 on: October 15, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
My friend, who is in his late twenties, just realized his dad dips tobacco.  He thought the ubiquitous can in his dad's back pocket was shoe polish he always carried around.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #17947 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
My friend, who is in his late twenties, just realized his dad dips tobacco.  He thought the ubiquitous can in his dad's back pocket was shoe polish he always carried around.
And also chewed bubble gum and spit alot?  :laugh:
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #17948 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »
And also chewed bubble gum and spit alot?  :laugh:

Apparently.  It was actually quite funny when it dawned on him.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #17949 on: October 15, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
Achronos, were you that redhead girl in front of me in yesterday's class? She was looking at exactly the same memes.
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17950 on: October 15, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #17951 on: October 15, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »
http://www.boredpanda.org/15th-century-flemish-style-portraits-recreated-in-the-airplane-lavatory/

You Dutch people are crazy.

The artist is American and she has an Armenian name, Nina Katchadourian. And the paintings that inspired her are Flemish, which is to say Belgian...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:17:42 PM by Romaios »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #17952 on: October 15, 2013, 02:11:32 PM »
Achronos, were you that redhead girl in front of me in yesterday's class? She was looking at exactly the same memes.
As I found out recently, I think we can't just sweep the various tones of red under the redhead umbrella.

Was she a strawberry beige?

//:=)

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17953 on: October 15, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »
http://www.boredpanda.org/15th-century-flemish-style-portraits-recreated-in-the-airplane-lavatory/

The artist is American and has an Armenian name, Nina Katchadourian. And the paintings that inspired her are Flemish, which is to say Belgian...

Belgians are Sudetendutch.

Offline sheenj

• OC.net guru
  • St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Church
« Reply #17954 on: October 15, 2013, 02:19:46 PM »

The artist is American and has an Armenian name, Nina Katchadourian. And the paintings that inspired her are Flemish, which is to say Belgian...

Belgians are Sudetendutch.

I somehow doubt that the Walloons would agree with you.