Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2026802 times)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to internets.
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #17595 on: September 17, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
So know I have a Mexican flatmate. A Mexican flatmate with  stereotypical bushy moustache. I wouldn't be anyhow suprised if I saw him wearing a sombero.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:03:20 PM by Alpo »

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #17596 on: September 17, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »
So know I have a Mexican flatmate. A Mexican flatmate with  stereotypical bushy moustache. I wouldn't be anyhow suprised if I saw him wearing a sombero.

If he can cook chimichangas, he's a keeper.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #17597 on: September 17, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »

If he can cook chimichangas fish tacos, he's a keeper.

;D
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #17598 on: September 17, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »

;D

What, no horse? :laugh:
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
« Reply #17599 on: September 17, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »

;D

That'll work, too!  Maybe even better!! :D
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: OO - Occidental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #17600 on: September 17, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »

;D

That'll work, too!  Maybe even better!! :D
I would give him a discount on his rent for that!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17601 on: September 17, 2013, 06:01:05 PM »
mexicans must be rare in finland.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17602 on: September 18, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »
So know I have a Mexican flatmate. A Mexican flatmate with  stereotypical bushy moustache. I wouldn't be anyhow suprised if I saw him wearing a sombero.

I've never even heard of any before. I guess there are some but I've been probably thinking them as Spaniards instead of Mexicans if I've ever seen them anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:30:48 AM by Alpo »

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17603 on: September 18, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »
So know I have a Mexican flatmate. A Mexican flatmate with  stereotypical bushy moustache. I wouldn't be anyhow suprised if I saw him wearing a sombero.

I've never even heard of any before. I guess there are some but I've been probably thinking them as Spaniards instead of Mexicans if I've ever seen them
Is Mexican food popular over there?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #17604 on: September 18, 2013, 06:48:22 AM »
I love the term "Spaniard."  It's delightfully quaint and archaic.  Also, when people hear it they know precisely what you mean.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17605 on: September 18, 2013, 09:20:13 AM »
I love the term "Spaniard."  It's delightfully quaint and archaic.  Also, when people hear it they know precisely what you mean.

Could you explain that, please  8)?

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17606 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:15 AM »

Not really. Tortillas are sold at supermarkets and there are some tex mex-related restaurants but I don't think those kind of things have much to do with actual Mexico. I don't think people even know much about Mexican food.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:13:57 AM by Alpo »

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #17607 on: September 18, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »

Not really. Tortillas are sold at supermarkets and there are some tex mex-related restaurants but I don't think those kind of things have much to do with actual Mexico. I don't think people even know much about Mexican food.
Here is a fool proof tip.  If the packaging on the food does not contain a picture similar to this, it cannot possibly be Mexican food.  ;D

Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17608 on: September 18, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »

Here is a fool proof tip.  If the packaging on the food does not contain a picture similar to this, it cannot possibly be Mexican food.  ;D

Most of the "Mexican" stuff here contains lots of pictures like that.  :P

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17609 on: September 18, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »

How did you get that photo of my Ukrainian Jewish cousins--from left to right, Shmuel, Yossi, Natan, Moshe, Grigory??  My aunt Sonia (their mother) makes dynamite pierogis with a dash of cilantro and a sprinkling of cumin.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17610 on: September 18, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »
I made a petty bourgeois woman cry and throw things around yesterday. Then got 20 bucks from her.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17611 on: September 18, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
I made a petty bourgeois woman cry and throw things around yesterday. Then got 20 bucks from her.
I must hear more about this story.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17612 on: September 18, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »

You must be very proud of yourself for a job well done.  Is this what you do for a living?  I know...you must be a New Age pseudo-gestalt psychotherapist, right?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:51:03 PM by J Michael »

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17613 on: September 18, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »
Trust me that little lawyer set herself up for it.  At some point I was thinking even if she won't pay at least it was fun see her throw a hysterical fit like this.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17614 on: September 18, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »
Trust me that little lawyer set herself up for it.  At some point I was thinking even if she won't pay at least it was fun see her throw a hysterical fit like this.
Again, I must hear this story.  Start from the beginning.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #17615 on: September 18, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »

Here in the South, people will say "Spanish" as a catch-all ethnic term for any Hispanic/Latin American.  To me Spanish as a nationality = Spaniard.  When I say Spaniard, even the most ignorant person knows I mean a person whose nationality is Spain, not a random Peruvian, Puerto Rican, or Panamanian. 

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17616 on: September 18, 2013, 03:20:57 PM »
Long story short besides my reg job I also fill in now for this Serbian guy at his building while he's in vacation . So I am on call go there whenever I can or I am needed . The woman locked herself out and then called a number where they told her she might have to wait for an hour before someone gets there. That already angries her. Then they call me I get there in far less than an h more like twenty minutes and the rest is history.  She was hysterical. I kept my calm in insulting her though.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17617 on: September 18, 2013, 03:24:12 PM »
Trust me that little lawyer set herself up for it.  At some point I was thinking even if she won't pay at least it was fun see her throw a hysterical fit like this.

So, I guessed wrong then.   ::) ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:26:21 PM by J Michael »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17618 on: September 18, 2013, 03:25:11 PM »
Long story short besides my reg job I also fill in now for this Serbian guy at his building while he's in vacation . So I am on call go there whenever I can or I am needed . The woman locked herself out and then called a number where they told her she might have to wait for an hour before someone gets there. That already angries her. Then they call me I get there in far less than an h more like twenty minutes and the rest is history.  She was hysterical. I kept my calm in insulting her though.
LOL @ #firstworldproblems  :D

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17619 on: September 18, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »

Such a nice boy.  ::)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #17620 on: September 19, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »
None of the methheads I know are as interesting as people make this Breaking Bad show out to be.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
« Reply #17621 on: September 19, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »
So, funny story, did you know they put lights in glove compartments? And that they're really difficult to notice if you're not aware of them? And they don't turn off when you turn the engine off, so they can drain your battery gradually if you absentmindedly leave your glove compartment open? Meaning that you'd have to continually get jumps from campus safety and drive it around for about an hour, but just when you think you're good, it goes out again a day or two later? And that if you take it to an Autozone in a sketchy neighborhood, they'll tell you the battery's fine and you'll see people selling bootleg DVDs and suspiciously inexpensive Beats by Dre while they charge it? And that it's apparently totally okay for Autozone workers to smoke on the job in Tennessee? And that parking your car under a tree for a few days with no way to move it will result in it being drenched in bird dung? And that if this goes on for a gorram week, it'll drive you pretty insane?

BECAUSE I CERTAINLY DIDN'T.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #17622 on: September 19, 2013, 12:39:32 PM »
So, funny story, did you know they put lights in glove compartments? And that they're really difficult to notice if you're not aware of them? And they don't turn off when you turn the engine off, so they can drain your battery gradually if you absentmindedly leave your glove compartment open? Meaning that you'd have to continually get jumps from campus safety and drive it around for about an hour, but just when you think you're good, it goes out again a day or two later? And that if you take it to an Autozone in a sketchy neighborhood, they'll tell you the battery's fine and you'll see people selling bootleg DVDs and suspiciously inexpensive Beats by Dre while they charge it? And that it's apparently totally okay for Autozone workers to smoke on the job in Tennessee? And that parking your car under a tree for a few days with no way to move it will result in it being drenched in bird dung? And that if this goes on for a gorram week, it'll drive you pretty insane?

BECAUSE I CERTAINLY DIDN'T.
Gah, what is UP with Tennessee?  Not only are all Freemasons outright racists, but employees smoke ON THE JOB?  ???

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17623 on: September 19, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
I'm teaching my new flat mate some cool Finnish habits. We both are sitting in front of our laptops and neither of us are speaking to each other.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:02:07 PM by Alpo »

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17624 on: September 19, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
I'm teaching my new flat mate some cool Finnish habits. We both are sitting in front of our laptops and neither of us are speaking to each other.

It means both of you acquired peace and thousands around you are being saved. Or preach and sometimes use words too.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17625 on: September 19, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »
The longer I am here, the more I enjoy augustin's contributions.  :D

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17626 on: September 19, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
not to brag too much but someone has to be somehow deficient not to like me.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17627 on: September 19, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »

The depth of your modesty humbles me and brings me to a flood of tears of repentance.

::)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17628 on: September 19, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »

The depth of your modesty humbles me and brings me to a flood of tears of repentance.

That's a good start. Now spend a little more time in OC.net and you can apply for Russian citizenship

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17629 on: September 19, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »

That's a good start. Now spend a little more time in OC.net and you can apply for Russian citizenship

I've already spent waaaayyyyyyyyyyyy too much time on OC.net., not that that will stop me from "spending" more time here, mind you.  I would, however, much prefer Ukrainian citizenship to Russian, thank you very much.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #17630 on: September 19, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
The Ukraine is weak.
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #17631 on: September 19, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »
The Ukraine is weak.

Paging Liza... Uh oh...
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17632 on: September 19, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »
The Ukraine is weak.

"For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Online Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #17633 on: September 19, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »

WOW guys. Just... wow.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Online Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #17634 on: September 19, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »

Here in the South, people will say "Spanish" as a catch-all ethnic term for any Hispanic/Latin American.  To me Spanish as a nationality = Spaniard.  When I say Spaniard, even the most ignorant person knows I mean a person whose nationality is Spain, not a random Peruvian, Puerto Rican, or Panamanian. 
In New Mexico, many call themselves Spanish, because their ancestors really are from Spain.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17635 on: September 19, 2013, 02:26:11 PM »

WOW guys. Just... wow.

Amazing, isn't it??  They need to come to the cheeseburger thread.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17636 on: September 19, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »

WOW guys. Just... wow.

You found that offending? Come on, it was a joke. I actually like this guy more than my Finnish flatmate.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #17637 on: September 19, 2013, 03:50:43 PM »
The Ukraine is weak.
THE UKRAINE ARE GREAT COUNTRY ON EARTH.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #17638 on: September 19, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »
I'm on a team with a Ukrainian guy. Should I greet him with Christos Anesti?
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17639 on: September 19, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »
I'm on a team with a Ukrainian guy. Should I greet him with Christos Anesti?
Isn't it Khrystos Voskres?