Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2077663 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #17415 on: August 29, 2013, 01:28:23 AM »
Is this inappropriate?

Dude! I'm trying to talk about fine art of shaving and you start talking about boobs. That's so unfair! How I am supposed to be comete with that!?

Could be worse...  :angel:

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #17417 on: August 29, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
So I got to the doc this afternoon. I knew I'd get a lecture about my diabetes, and I mostly went because of my back pain. I had been on five meds earlier this year, but had cut that number down to three (Zoloft, Abilify, and Amaryl). After today it'll be pushed up to six meds, with new ones for diabetes (invokana), blood pressure (lisinopril), and cholesterol (simvastatin). Oh, and he suggested using ibuprofen in addition to the Tylenol I am already taking, so I guess that's eight meds total to keep track of. :-\ He also told me that in the next month I had to go to get an eye exam, foot exam, blood test, and x-ray for my back. And my a1c was 13.something. And it took 25 minutes to figure out where my medical records were (they are currently in a different county). This concludes my blog entry for today.

Things can only get better from here :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:48:19 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #17418 on: August 29, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »

That's the spirit!

Edit: It appears that I was promoted to the rank of Merarches.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:49:19 PM by Cyrillic »
"Par ma foi! Il y a plus de quarante ans que je dis de la prose sans que j'en susse rien."
-Molière, The Middle-Class Gentleman.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #17419 on: August 29, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
So I got to the doc this afternoon. I knew I'd get a lecture about my diabetes, and I mostly went because of my back pain. I had been on five meds earlier this year, but had cut that number down to three (Zoloft, Abilify, and Amaryl). After today it'll be pushed up to six meds, with new ones for diabetes (invokana), blood pressure (lisinopril), and cholesterol (simvastatin). Oh, and he suggested using ibuprofen in addition to the Tylenol I am already taking, so I guess that's eight meds total to keep track of. :-\ He also told me that in the next month I had to go to get an eye exam, foot exam, blood test, and x-ray for my back. And my a1c was 13.something. And it took 25 minutes to figure out where my medical records were (they are currently in a different county). This concludes my blog entry for today.

Throw all those out and eat 1 bottle of chewable vitamins everyday.  Problem solved.

Note:  This medical advice has been approved by the Chewable Vitamin Foundation and it's sponsor, Vitabites.
Will we all have to prove our Orthodoxy by adopting St Nicholas avatars now?

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #17420 on: August 29, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »

That's the spirit!

Congratulations on your promotion.  Does this give you more raw power as a mod? ;D
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #17421 on: August 29, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »

That's the spirit!

Congratulations on your promotion.  Does this give you more raw power as a mod? ;D

+2 Strength
+3 Agility
+1 Wisdom

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
« Reply #17422 on: August 29, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »

Throw all those out and eat 1 bottle of chewable vitamins everyday.  Problem solved.

Note:  This medical advice has been approved by the Chewable Vitamin Foundation and it's sponsor, Vitabites.

Charlatan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE knows that those do nothing and that he must drink 2 quarts of unflavored liquid cod-liver oil daily.  THAT is the solution!
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17423 on: August 29, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »

That's the spirit!

+2 Strength
+3 Agility
+1 Wisdom

But what about that naked, raw power that comes with it?  That which is befitting of a Merarches.  (What the heck is a Merarches, anyway??)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:02:51 PM by J Michael »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #17424 on: August 29, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
No offense to Cyrillic meant, but I don't want to see anything to do with him related to being either "naked" or "raw."  I'm ok with power, he is good people.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17425 on: August 29, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »

That's the spirit!

+2 Strength
+3 Agility
+1 Wisdom

But what about that naked, raw power that comes with it?  That which is befitting of a Merarches.  (What the heck is a Merarches, anyway??)
A. I do not want to see ANY naked raw power, even if it is Cyrillic.
B. Google is your friend!  ;D

The merarchēs sometimes Anglicized as Merarch, was a Byzantine military rank roughly equivalent to a divisional general.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17426 on: August 29, 2013, 04:05:58 PM »

That's the spirit!

Congratulations on your promotion.  Does this give you more raw power as a mod? ;D

+2 Strength
+3 Agility
+1 Wisdom

But what about that naked, raw power that comes with it?  That which is befitting of a Merarches.  (What the heck is a Merarches, anyway??)
A. I do not want to see ANY naked raw power, even if it is Cyrillic.
B. Google is your friend!  ;D

The merarchēs sometimes Anglicized as Merarch, was a Byzantine military rank roughly equivalent to a divisional general.

Too lazy today to Google.
Got tanks?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:06:30 PM by J Michael »

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17427 on: August 29, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
No offense to Cyrillic meant, but I don't want to see anything to do with him related to being either "naked" or "raw."  I'm ok with power, he is good people.

Cyrillic is great people!  I just want to know what his power level is so it won't come as a surprise. 

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17428 on: August 29, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
Oh poo.  Asteriktos was way more clever in his wording than I.  >:(

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17429 on: August 29, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »

What's so much more clever about "...he is good people"?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17430 on: August 29, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »

It's all in the cadence.  I can't compete.  :'(

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17431 on: August 29, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »

It's all in the cadence.  I can't compete.  :'(

TBH, I try, but have come to realize that I cannot either.  Asteriktos is somewhat unparalleled, especially in his cadence.  He's taken it to a new level.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: OO - Occidental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #17432 on: August 30, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
I almost rear-ended a car the other day trying to read the bumper sticker.  It read "Why do Catholics honor Mary?"  I tried reading the answer, which looked to be about a paragraph, but the font was way to small.  Guess I'll never know... :angel:
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17433 on: August 30, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
I almost rear-ended a car the other day trying to read the bumper sticker.  It read "Why do Catholics honor Mary?"  I tried reading the answer, which looked to be about a paragraph, but the font was way to small.  Guess I'll never know... :angel:
That is a pet peeve of mine.  What is the deal with bumper stickers written in 2pt font?  Your supposed to be able to read it from another car, dang it!

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17434 on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
That is a pet peeve of mine.  What is the deal with bumper stickers written in 2pt font?  Your supposed to be able to read it from another car, dang it!

The point is that they are designed to promote intimacy and fellowship on the highways.  Sheesh..... ::) ::)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #17435 on: August 30, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »

The point is that they are designed to promote intimacy and fellowship on the highways.  Sheesh..... ::) ::)

My car almost became very intimate with their car. :-* ;D
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17436 on: August 30, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »

My car almost became very intimate with their car. :-* ;D

Then it's almost working  ;D.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #17437 on: August 30, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17438 on: August 30, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »

Sounds like a visit for my wife.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #17439 on: August 31, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »
There are so many catholic orders that I never stop discovering new ones. The latest one is the Premonstratensian Order.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17440 on: August 31, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
There are so many catholic orders that I never stop discovering new ones. The latest one is the Premonstratensian Order.

That's an old one. I once got a translation of their Psalter of the Mother of God published by some Orthodox people in Romania.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #17441 on: September 01, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »
Hey augustin, have you read any Max Weber?

I saw this post a long time ago searching threads:

Is there a Calvinist beneath every American?

And some guy brought him up later on, I've been reading his "Protestant Work Ethic and Spirit of Capitalism" and I think he has it right, as far as religions serving the foundation for economic principles (unlike Marx who was the opposite).
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
« Reply #17442 on: September 01, 2013, 01:44:42 PM »
I think he has it right, as far as religions serving the foundation for economic principles (unlike Marx who was the opposite).

I agree if you change "Protestant" to "Calvinist". Not all Protestants are alike.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17443 on: September 01, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Why is Hyacinth Bucket Bucké always drinking coffee? I thought British people drink tea instead of coffee.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #17444 on: September 01, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
Why is Hyacinth Bucket Bucké always drinking coffee? I thought British people drink tea instead of coffee.

She is? I never noticed that.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17445 on: September 01, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
That's how it has seemed to me after watching some episodes lately. Am I mistaken?

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #17446 on: September 01, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #17447 on: September 02, 2013, 11:40:20 PM »

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17448 on: September 03, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
Asteriktos's avatar reminds me of this.

Parental advisry: Might be considered a bit blasphemous by some.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #17449 on: September 03, 2013, 04:36:42 PM »
My nephew was at our home this weekend.  He laughs like Sponge Bob to get attention.  It was extremely irritating.

http://youtu.be/ifGpkKXWtGk

Sponge Bob laughing... ugh.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #17450 on: September 03, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »
Crabapples don't taste very good, but they sure are fun to throw at your friends.  :)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17451 on: September 04, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »
I am saddened by the loss of Mor Ephrem's avatar of Tim the Sorcerer.  :'(

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #17452 on: September 04, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »
Crabapples don't taste very good, but they sure are fun to throw at your friends.  :)

For some reason the crabapples that grow in these parts are not edible; in other parts of the world, they get nice, big, and sweet. A nice stick of candied crabapples is a favorite treat in China.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #17453 on: September 04, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »

Me too, I couldn't figure out what happened except that it was probably linked to that forum problem the other day.  I need to find Tim, but for now, it's Thulsa Doom. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17454 on: September 04, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »

Me too, I couldn't figure out what happened except that it was probably linked to that forum problem the other day.  I need to find Tim, but for now, it's Thulsa Doom. 
My concern is that Carmen Electra may not be as big a fan as she was before.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #17455 on: September 04, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
Crom laughs at your concern. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17456 on: September 04, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
I suppose hearing the lamentation of their women is one of the best things in life...

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a picture of Carmen Electra crying.   :'(

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #17457 on: September 04, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
I suppose hearing the lamentation of their women is one of the best things in life...

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a picture of Carmen Electra crying.   :'(
She only cries privately.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #17458 on: September 04, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
Unfortunately, I was unable to find a picture of Carmen Electra crying.   :'(

Here's a pic from her 40th birthday party a while back:

She was crying because she had got drunk and was making a fool of herself with lewd stories and... activities. Well, as her date I found this simply unacceptable, celebrity or no. Anyway, so I tore into her, and the photographer for the night caught her crying, and it made TMZ, and it was a mess really. I didn't mention it on here for obvious reasons. It's embarrassing even now. But there's the pic fwiw...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:43:55 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #17459 on: September 04, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »
Oh, now this is awkward.  :-[ 

Mor, I'm sure Asteriktos was not aware of your relationship w/ Ms. Electra when he went on the date.