Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1983901 times)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #16830 on: July 25, 2013, 03:39:46 PM »
I had a beer with an ethnic Pentecostal. He didn't seem anyhow religious and we weren't talking about theology but he himself said that he is an ethnic Pentecostal. I find it fascinating that Pentecostalism can be an ethnic religion.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #16831 on: July 25, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »
What is an ethnic Pentacostal?
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #16832 on: July 25, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »

A native of Pentecostaland.
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16833 on: July 25, 2013, 03:56:20 PM »

Honestly... a resident of Florida.  :)
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16834 on: July 25, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
Vicodin is fun weeee!

:D Enjoy it while it lasts...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16835 on: July 25, 2013, 03:57:51 PM »

Honestly... a resident of Florida.  :)

A native of Pentecostaland.

BUWHAHAHAHA!!!!

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16836 on: July 25, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »

A person who isn't that religious and/or doesn't go to any Pentecostal parish that often but grew up in a Pentecostal family, knows the Pentecostal culture and who generally identifies Pentecostalism as a religio-cultural phenomenon regardless of whether he believes the actual doctrines or not.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #16837 on: July 25, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »

A person who isn't that religious and/or doesn't go to any Pentecostal parish that often but grew up in a Pentecostal family, knows the Pentecostal culture and who generally identifies Pentecostalism as a religio-cultural phenomenon regardless of whether he believes the actual doctrines or not.

Oh, you mean like cultural christianity?
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16838 on: July 25, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »

Something like that. I'd wager though thay average ethnic Pentecostal is more religious and conservative that average ethnic Lutheran.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #16839 on: July 25, 2013, 04:38:42 PM »

Something like that. I'd wager though thay average ethnic Pentecostal is more religious and conservative that average ethnic Lutheran.

Most likely.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
« Reply #16840 on: July 26, 2013, 07:54:11 AM »
Florida isn't in the South because of the Spanish part, and that it isn't one of the 13 original colonies.

??? ???

Where's that put Louisiana, then?  It has a French part, a Cajun part, wasn't one of the 13 original colonies, is well SOUTH of the Mason-Dixon line, and was part of the CSA.

To be honest, I really couldn't care less about Florida--it really should be it's own country anyway, and then we could embargo it like Cuba  ;D ;D ;D.

Louisiana, on the other hand, is the home of this well-known elixir, which makes virtually every inedible dish edible:

I became ecstatic when I found Tabasco in HK. I actually found a Cajun restraunt, but it is bloody pricey.
Forgive my sins.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
« Reply #16841 on: July 26, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »
Florida isn't in the South because of the Spanish part, and that it isn't one of the 13 original colonies.

??? ???

Where's that put Louisiana, then?  It has a French part, a Cajun part, wasn't one of the 13 original colonies, is well SOUTH of the Mason-Dixon line, and was part of the CSA.

To be honest, I really couldn't care less about Florida--it really should be it's own country anyway, and then we could embargo it like Cuba  ;D ;D ;D.

Louisiana, on the other hand, is the home of this well-known elixir, which makes virtually every inedible dish edible:

I became ecstatic when I found Tabasco in HK. I actually found a Cajun restraunt, but it is bloody pricey.

I'm sure it's well worth the investment!!

Btw, why are you in HK, anyway?  (Just me being nosy  ;D.)
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #16842 on: July 26, 2013, 12:38:38 PM »
The whole city was without electricity for hours. Is outage!
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16843 on: July 26, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16844 on: July 26, 2013, 05:48:15 PM »
All my brownies are gone :(

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16845 on: July 26, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »
Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix
138-78 BCE
General, dictator, evil dude

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16846 on: July 26, 2013, 06:10:28 PM »
Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix
138-78 BCE
General, dictator, evil dude

Would that be the same as "Before Christ or BC?"

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16847 on: July 26, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »
Yeah, BC is the same as BCE... I like to switch it up from time to time  :angel:

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16848 on: July 26, 2013, 06:51:32 PM »
Yeah, BC is the same as BCE... I like to switch it up from time to time  :angel:
I have an intense hatred of the BCE phenomenon.  If you want to remove the historical basis for our dating system, just start over from scratch and pick a new date to start with.  The Romans picked the founding of the city, we could pick July 4 1776 in the US and the Europeans could pick some other date.  If you are going to do it, do it right.  Don't just add and "E" in there. #lame

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16849 on: July 26, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »
Hmm... a new date. How about something more likely to be the actual birth date of Christ?  :-*

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16850 on: July 26, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »
Hmm... a new date. How about something more likely to be the actual birth date of Christ?  :-*
It doesn't matter to me if it is the right year or not.  It is the fact that they took a shot in the dark and picked what they thought it was, so therefore, rightly or wrongly, the intent was to base it off of Christ's birth.  Now we throw an "E" in there and pretend that suddenly it is a "common era"

*rant finished*

8)

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #16851 on: July 26, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »
It doesn't matter to me if it is the right year or not.  It is the fact that they took a shot in the dark and picked what they thought it was, so therefore, rightly or wrongly, the intent was to base it off of Christ's birth.  Now we throw an "E" in there and pretend that suddenly it is a "common era"

*rant finished*

8)

I personally like BCE as being Before Christ's existence, and Christ's Existence, even if it isnt theologically accurate.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16852 on: July 26, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »

*rant finished*

8)

This ranting you're doing...?  That's the reaction I'm going for when I say I like to switch it up from time to time ;D

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #16853 on: July 26, 2013, 09:11:14 PM »
I have an intense hatred of the BCE phenomenon.  If you want to remove the historical basis for our dating system, just start over from scratch and pick a new date to start with.  The Romans picked the founding of the city, we could pick July 4 1776 in the US and the Europeans could pick some other date.  If you are going to do it, do it right.  Don't just add and "E" in there. #lame

Don't you mean #lam?  ;)

BCE annoys me too. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16854 on: July 26, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure the "atheist astronomers" and the Pope struck a deal centuries ago--secular people would switch to an ecclesiastical (Gregorian) calendar if Christians would switch to a secular nomenclature when identifying years. :police:  :P

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16855 on: July 26, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure the "atheist astronomers" and the Pope struck a deal centuries ago--secular people would switch to an ecclesiastical (Gregorian) calendar if Christians would switch to a secular nomenclature when identifying years. :police:  :P
It's all the Illuminati's fault.

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16856 on: July 26, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »
I just ignore the new stuff and keep using BC and AD even if it bothers "scholarly" type folks.  I understand the new stuff, I just don't like it, personally.  I am the sort of person who goes by the, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.  Change for the sake of change never made sense to me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:34:37 PM by Kerdy »

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #16857 on: July 26, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »
I am the sort of person who goes by the, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.  Change for the sake of change never made sense to me.

Yeah, but this definitely was change for a reason, not just change for change's sake.  No one has to be a Christian if they don't want to be, but the calendar we have is based on the birth of Christ.  There's nothing "common" about that.  As said above, they should pick a new date and do the hard work of making a new calendar if they're that set on eradicating Jesus from the current one. 

Of course, this may all be a moot point when we are forced by political correctness and other factors to start using AH instead of AD or CE. 

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16858 on: July 26, 2013, 10:04:06 PM »
I am the sort of person who goes by the, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.  Change for the sake of change never made sense to me.

Yeah, but this definitely was change for a reason, not just change for change's sake.  No one has to be a Christian if they don't want to be, but the calendar we have is based on the birth of Christ.  There's nothing "common" about that.  As said above, they should pick a new date and do the hard work of making a new calendar if they're that set on eradicating Jesus from the current one. 

Of course, this may all be a moot point when we are forced by political correctness and other factors to start using AH instead of AD or CE. 

That is the problem.  Take over two thousand years of history and change it because it offends some guy in Toledo. Change for the sake of change.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16859 on: July 26, 2013, 10:08:46 PM »
I dunno, it doesn't really matter to me what they/we use either way, but considering that most people don't know what A.D. means anyway, I don't see much point in getting worked up over it.  :angel:

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #16860 on: July 26, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »
Though I haven't been to Toledo, I'm fairly familiar with NE Ohio.  If they're any indication, I don't think you have to worry about the guy in Toledo.  ;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16861 on: July 26, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »
I dunno, it doesn't really matter to me what they/we use either way, but considering that most people don't know what A.D. means anyway, I don't see much point in getting worked up over it.  :angel:
I AM VERY WORKED UP ABOUT IT, YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!
  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #16862 on: July 26, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
What'd you have to eat today, bro?  You're bouncing all over the place.  :P

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16863 on: July 26, 2013, 10:21:19 PM »
What'd you have to eat today, bro?  You're bouncing all over the place.  :P
You know me, I always enjoy a good outrage.  ;D

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16864 on: July 26, 2013, 10:23:15 PM »
I AM VERY WORKED UP ABOUT IT, YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!
  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Ok! Ok! I mean, if you were really genuinely truly troo Orthodox you'd date things from the creation, but I will accept that you prefer innovation. How about this... we'll use BP (before present) from now on for pre-20th century events? If we have a deal slap my thigh  :)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #16865 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26:40 PM »
How about this... we'll use BP (before present) from now on for pre-20th century events? If we have a deal slap my thigh  :)

Reviving Old Testament deal-making practices, are we?

Genesis 24

Now Abraham was old, well advanced in years; and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things. 2 And Abraham said to his servant, the oldest of his house, who had charge of all that he had, “Put your hand under my thigh, 3 and I will make you swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and of the earth, that you will not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell, 4 but will go to my country and to my kindred, and take a wife for my son Isaac.” 5 The servant said to him, “Perhaps the woman may not be willing to follow me to this land; must I then take your son back to the land from which you came?” 6 Abraham said to him, “See to it that you do not take my son back there. 7 The Lord, the God of heaven, who took me from my father’s house and from the land of my birth, and who spoke to me and swore to me, ‘To your descendants I will give this land,’ he will send his angel before you, and you shall take a wife for my son from there. 8 But if the woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be free from this oath of mine; only you must not take my son back there.” 9 So the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and swore to him concerning this matter.

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16866 on: July 26, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
It is tradition! Seek no further!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16867 on: July 26, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »
Ewww, your thigh is all sweaty!  Wash that thing off and then I will rub it or whatever you want.  :-*

EDIT:  The fact that Mor could pull that knowledge out of his head impresses me greatly!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:33:03 PM by TheTrisagion »

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16868 on: July 26, 2013, 10:33:16 PM »
How did you know that my...   . .  never mind.  >:(

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16869 on: July 26, 2013, 10:35:59 PM »
I remember when I was like 14, and we had one of those school fund raisers, and we had these delicious caramel/chocolate bars that we were supposed to sell. I'd eat several every day after school. After a week they were all gone, and I had no money to show for it. I also didn't get an allowance, so I had no way to fix the problem while keeping it a secret. I guess I was rotten, but my tummy was happy, which was the most important thing.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #16870 on: July 26, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »
LOL, stop before they lock this thread!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16871 on: July 26, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »
I have decided that we should date everything in accordance to the dispensations.  The annotation will look like this 6/1980 which would stand for 6th dispensation, 1980 years from it's start.  This will be so much easier, why I we not thought of this before now?!?!?!

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16872 on: July 26, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »
Personal log, Stardate 91172.74, TheTrisagion is displaying symptoms which seem to indicate that he is in the beginning stages of space madness. I will have the doctor give him a surprise "routine" evaluation in the morning, but it may be too late for him.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #16873 on: July 26, 2013, 10:47:36 PM »
*gets lost on the holodeck while trying to simulate the rapture*

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #16874 on: July 26, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »
*gets lost on the holodeck while trying to simulate the rapture*

The other day, I searched for pictures of the Rapture on Google Images.  There are some exceptionally bizarre paintings of people flying high in the sky towards the Lord resembling certain little swimmers headed for a particular egg.