Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2085628 times)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #16695 on: July 20, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
I have about a half a pound of raw spinach that is going bad. It is slimy to the touch and smells like cooked spinach. Is it still safe to eat? I would hate to throw it away, but if it is unsafe I need to. Any idea?
You're not gonna eat that raw? Cooking should kill all bacteria.
Thank you!
I myself , have never been afraid of trifles like bacteria, worms, mold or spiders just saying. I've eaten a lot of those.

You grew up in countryside?

Look, my religion is more exotic than your religion! No, my religion is more exotic than yours!

I can't participate in that competition. Finns are boring no matter they do or no matter they believe in. At least when we're not wasted. :'(
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:04:39 PM by Alpo »

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16696 on: July 20, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »
I have about a half a pound of raw spinach that is going bad. It is slimy to the touch and smells like cooked spinach. Is it still safe to eat? I would hate to throw it away, but if it is unsafe I need to. Any idea?
You're not gonna eat that raw? Cooking should kill all bacteria.
Thank you!
I myself , have never been afraid of trifles like bacteria, worms, mold or spiders just saying. I've eaten a lot of those.

You grew up in countryside?
I did. To me it's funny how afraid of mold Chicagoans, say, are. I'm always thinking, I must have eaten a good amount of it.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16697 on: July 20, 2013, 02:09:16 PM »
I did. To me it's funny how afraid of mold Chicagoans, say, are. I'm always thinking, I must have eaten a good amount of it.

Some things are universal. Sounds somewhat like people used to do in here back in the good old days. If the jam had some mold, just remove the tiny bits of mold and eat the jam. Omnomnom. :-X
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:12:40 PM by Alpo »

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16698 on: July 20, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »

Some things are universal. Sounds somewhat like people used to do in here back in the good old days. If the jam had some mold, just remove the tiny bits of mold and eat the jam. Omnomnom. :-X
or those really organic cherries. each used to have a little worm in it, but i never bothered to get it out.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16699 on: July 20, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »

or those really organic cherries. each used to have a little worm in it, but i never bothered to get it out.

I don't know about cherries but I'm fairly convinced that every second rasperry contains a worm.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #16700 on: July 20, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »
We could go back to holding our hands the way they do at prayer:

The miniature of the 13th century Byzantine manuscript., shows the divine service at Sophia of Constantinople. In front, in surplices and hats stand the singers, on the dais, - the emperor and the people. All hands are crossed on the chest, with hands hidden.

We (and the Old Believers) still do!

or look at the bright side of it : even EO looks pathetically western compared to Buddhism.

That's because it is Western, with or without comparison to Buddhism.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16701 on: July 20, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
Mold doesn't bother me much.  We would eat bread and dairy with mold on it as a kid.  We were poor though so didn't have much of a choice.  As far as eating worms, I'd consider it, but only if they were dead.  Spiders?  No way.  Growing up we lived in a place where a spider could kill someone or at least cause significant damage.  A spider killed my dog Sassy when I was little and a lady in town developed necrosis in the leg after being bit.  
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #16702 on: July 20, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »

The miniature of the 13th century Byzantine manuscript., shows the divine service at Sophia of Constantinople. In front, in surplices and hats stand the singers, on the dais, - the emperor and the people. All hands are crossed on the chest, with hands hidden.

Really? I don't think I have ever seen it.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #16703 on: July 20, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »

We fidget or pretend to use our komboskinis...  ;)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16704 on: July 20, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »
I have invented a time machine. I bought a linen flat cap today. After I put it and my second hand leather jacket on I realized I have travelled back in time into the 60s. I can feel the LSD messing with my brain and the World oozing progressive rock music.

Online Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #16705 on: July 20, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
Nice picture of Abp. Ireland.
"Par ma foi! Il y a plus de quarante ans que je dis de la prose sans que j'en susse rien."
-Molière, The Middle-Class Gentleman.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16706 on: July 20, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »
I have invented a time machine. I bought a linen flat cap today. After I put it and my second hand leather jacket on I realized I have travelled back in time into the 60s. I can feel the LSD messing with my brain and the World oozing progressive rock music.

Farm out. Right arm. Gravy!

Fast forward a bit though... the best Jethro Tull stuff was from the 70s!
Like a spiritual Pepto running roughshod over your nauseating claims and diarrhea doctrines...

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #16707 on: July 20, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »

Farm out. Right arm. Gravy!

Fast forward a bit though... the best Jethro Tull stuff was from the 70s!

Actually, their best work was out in 1982. The Broadsword and the Beast FTW. Blows the treehugging anthems out of the water.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16708 on: July 20, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
Actually, their best work was out in 1982. The Broadsword and the Beast FTW. Blows the treehugging anthems out of the water.

I just gave it a listen on youtube, and find myself unable to agree. But then it would be most unexpected if two random people agreed about the best album or this or that band.  :angel:
Like a spiritual Pepto running roughshod over your nauseating claims and diarrhea doctrines...

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
« Reply #16709 on: July 20, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
I feel like a Black Sheep on this forum now.

Why is that?

IDK, because I'm religiously retarded at the moment. I want to be Orthodox, but I'm not and I just feel awkward. I'm stuck somewhere between Orthodoxy and Buddhism. :-\

I also feel like a black sheep in the city I live in now because, well, it is 95% Asian and Cantonese speaking. And I'm this White, Nordic guy. :-[

I don't know what you've been through but perhaps you could try emailing a local Orthodox parish and explain your situation? No need to start with Confession or anything that dramatic. You could just talk and I'm sure their priest would listen and understand your situation even if you didn't up end returning to the fold. That is, if you find a common language. Do you speak Cantonese?

As for the being a foreigner in Honk Kong that sure sounds hard. I'd like to move abroad at some point but I fear similar kind of situation. I'll light a candle for you tomorrow at the church.

I guess I'm too embarrassed to talk about it in person. I feel like a disappointment for not keeping the faith. I was very close with my priest back home, and I was too scared to even talk to him. I know I shouldn't be, but I am too afraid that I am going to be judged. It's very hard, I still try to hold up the persona I am Orthodox in public. I still have icons on my computer and everything.

Luckily, being a former Brit colony, most people here know English, they are just too shy to speak it (because they are embarrassed), which makes it difficult. Luckily they atleast acknowledge what I say. lol

I appreciate your prayers.
Forgive my sins.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #16710 on: July 20, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
IMHO you can find 95% of Buddhism in Orthodoxy (5% accounts for belief in reincarnation and pelagianism), but not the other way around. Buddha didn't say "I am the way, and the truth, and the life".

I've heard this before. I just have a hard time believing much. I find myself just clinging on to Buddhism because I do not want to be atheist.

Well, don't let it get to you! Embrace it - you can feel special! And there's a lot to learn. Beginning with language.  :)

Also, they say exile/alienation (xeniteia) can be a great incentive for prayer.

Luckily I have locals that are helping me with Cantonese, including my gf. I do free that this alienation has made me prayer more than I ever have, but pray to what I do not know!
Forgive my sins.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #16711 on: July 20, 2013, 08:59:33 PM »
Look, my religion is more exotic than your religion! No, my religion is more exotic than yours!

Mocking people does not help.
Forgive my sins.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #16712 on: July 20, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »
I did a stint as an agnostic.  Once I did that, I realized that most of their arguments for their position sucked just as bad as the arguments for anything else.  Its funny how things look better until you actually self-identify as such, and some of the gloss gets taken off.  :-\
Will we all have to prove our Orthodoxy by adopting St Nicholas avatars now?

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #16713 on: July 21, 2013, 12:43:23 AM »

Why is that?

IDK, because I'm religiously retarded at the moment. I want to be Orthodox, but I'm not and I just feel awkward. I'm stuck somewhere between Orthodoxy and Buddhism. :-\

IMHO you can find 95% of Buddhism in Orthodoxy (5% accounts for belief in reincarnation and pelagianism), but not the other way around. Buddha didn't say "I am the way, and the truth, and the life".

This strikes me as not correct from what I know of Buddhism and Orthodoxy.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #16714 on: July 21, 2013, 12:54:33 AM »

Why is that?

Might have been a hyperbolic estimation. But only slightly.  ;)

Btw when Jesuit missionaries first reached Tibet, they thought Tibetan Buddhists were a species of estranged oriental Christians.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #16715 on: July 21, 2013, 01:08:53 AM »

Why is that?

Btw when Jesuit missionaries first reached Tibet, they thought Tibetan Buddhists were a species of estranged oriental Christians.

What did the Russian missionaries in the Far East think?
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16716 on: July 21, 2013, 05:38:12 AM »

Why is that?

What did the Russian missionaries in the Far East think?

"Is outrage!"

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16717 on: July 21, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »
How different would Kit Kat bars taste if they were all one big chunk rather than divided into individual parts?

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16718 on: July 21, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »
One reason I could not be a monk is because I would eventually have a skullet. This I could never abide. I can go without showering, without meat, without sexual relations, even without the internet. But walking around with that on top of my head? No way...

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #16719 on: July 21, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
Actually, out of the items on that list, it's the not showering that would prevent me from being a good monk.  Then again, I don't think OO monks have the prohibition on showering.  Certainly in Indian tradition, physical hygiene is not looked at as being in opposition to monasticism.   
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #16720 on: July 21, 2013, 03:45:52 PM »
One reason I could not be a monk is because I would eventually have a skullet. This I could never abide. I can go without showering, without meat, without sexual relations, even without the internet. But walking around with that on top of my head? No way...

Just tell people you're japanese.  :)

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #16721 on: July 21, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »
Monks don't shower?

Online Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #16722 on: July 21, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »
Monks don't shower?

Asceticism and all that. Even the Rule of St. Augustine limits bathing.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:08:29 PM by Cyrillic »
"Par ma foi! Il y a plus de quarante ans que je dis de la prose sans que j'en susse rien."

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16723 on: July 21, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »

Or Devin Townsend.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #16724 on: July 21, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »

Or Devin Townsend.

That could work too.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #16725 on: July 21, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
Only $20 for a Big Mac meal at McDonald's in HK! So awesome here!

$20...? What does that work out to, like $6 US and 1,000,000,034,032,013 Yen?

It's like USD$2.5, sorry lol. They don't use Yen here, it is Hong Kong Dollars. lol
Forgive my sins.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #16726 on: July 21, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »
How different would Kit Kat bars taste if they were all one big chunk rather than divided into individual parts?
Mmm Kit Kat.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #16727 on: July 21, 2013, 07:34:03 PM »
Eww Jethro Tull.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16728 on: July 21, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Monks don't shower?

From what I can tell, some monks shower a little, some rarely, and some not at all. They exude a scent of holiness.  8) Though perhaps in some places they shower daily and I just don't know about it. 

Only $20 for a Big Mac meal at McDonald's in HK! So awesome here!

$20...? What does that work out to, like $6 US and 1,000,000,034,032,013 Yen?

It's like USD$2.5, sorry lol. They don't use Yen here, it is Hong Kong Dollars. lol

Ahh, ok :) I meant the yen thing as a joke poking fun at my unfamiliarity with most things outside the U.S.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16729 on: July 21, 2013, 07:43:31 PM »
Eww Jethro Tull.

Eww? Well, ok, admittedly some of the lyrics are a bit creepy...

Sitting on the park bench
Eyeing little girls with bad intent
Snot is running down his nose
Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes
Hey aqualung
Drying in the cold sun
Watching as the frilly panties run
Hey aqualung
Feeling like a dead duck
Spitting out pieces of his broken luck
Whoa aqualung

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #16730 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
Ahh, ok :) I meant the yen thing as a joke poking fun at my unfamiliarity with most things outside the U.S.

It's okay, I lived many places in my life and I am still mildly retarded when it comes to Asia.
Forgive my sins.

Offline tetepet

• New convert
    • The Great Idea
« Reply #16731 on: July 22, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »
Monks don't shower?

Cant help but to wonder why that is?

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #16732 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:53 AM »
Eww Jethro Tull.

Eww? Well, ok, admittedly some of the lyrics are a bit creepy...

Sitting on the park bench
Eyeing little girls with bad intent
Snot is running down his nose
Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes
Hey aqualung
Drying in the cold sun
Watching as the frilly panties run
Hey aqualung
Feeling like a dead duck
Spitting out pieces of his broken luck
Whoa aqualung
The above makes me really feel like a snob.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #16733 on: July 22, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
Monks don't shower?

Cant help but to wonder why that is?

Water rationing in the desert? ;D ;D
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16734 on: July 22, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
Why has the Netherlands such a reputation? All we're known for is a plant.

No, what you're known for is drugs, hookers, and not caring about anything. It's a whole country of teenagers. Produce something that doesn't cater to someone's base appetites, and maybe others will stop looking at you as a punchline.

I saw this article and couldn't help but think of your kind words a few weeks back  8)

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #16735 on: July 23, 2013, 02:27:32 AM »

No, what you're known for is drugs, hookers, and not caring about anything. It's a whole country of teenagers. Produce something that doesn't cater to someone's base appetites, and maybe others will stop looking at you as a punchline.

You know, you are really helping stereotyping Americans as jerks the way you are acting (coming from an American). People like you make our country look bad. To generalize the Dutch the way you just have is really un-Christian. I can tell you obviously aren't from the Southern US because you are acting way too rude, and you are presenting yourself as having a superiority complex.

P.S. The Dutch gave the world: The Nuclear Family, The Stock Market, The Submarine...

P.P.S. UNICEF ranks the Netherlands as the best country in the world to grow up in - http://amsterdamherald.com/index.php/rss/777-20130410-unicef-ranks-netherlands-best-country-world-grow-up-child-welfare-health-education-dutch-society
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:30:45 AM by celticfan1888 »
Forgive my sins.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16736 on: July 23, 2013, 02:43:36 AM »
Aww, now I feel bad for quoting Biro there. I did not mean anything by it other than to say why the particular article I posted caught my attention, though my sarcastic delivery was rude.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #16737 on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:47 AM »

You know, you are really helping stereotyping Americans as jerks the way you are acting (coming from an American). People like you make our country look bad.
Well, just like the Dutch are a bunch of teenagers, Americans are a bunch of arrogant jerks.  See, the stereotypes hold.  ;D
Will we all have to prove our Orthodoxy by adopting St Nicholas avatars now?

Online Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #16738 on: July 23, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »
If foreigners want to learn more about the Dutch and how we differ from humans I really advise this blog. It is written by a foreigner living in the Netherlands who isn't too impressed with the Dutch.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:10:42 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #16739 on: July 23, 2013, 10:13:50 AM »
If foreigners want to learn more about the Dutch and how we differ from humans I really advise this blog. It is written by a foreigner living in the Netherlands who isn't too impressed with the Dutch.

"Als het regent in september, valt kerstmis in december"

This gon be good  :D