Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2193671 times)

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #15570 on: May 21, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »
My Latin class was awesome. All the classmates were cool people, and it was the last class for one of the school's busiest teachers. She told hilarious stories and we reacted in kind. So much fun.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15571 on: May 21, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
I got off of work and because my wife seems a little down I went by to pick her up some flowers. 

Did it work? Don't get me wrong, it was a nice thing to do. I just don't understand what's with the women and flowers. If I am feelling down it doesn't help if someone buys me a beer.

It helped a little.  I just wanted her to know I appreciate her.

Offline Severian

• But I'm only a cynical jerk on the internet, I swear
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
« Reply #15572 on: May 21, 2013, 08:33:06 PM »
In English lessons I was always taught to use British English. American English was reviled by the teachers as a barbaric variant of proper, British English. We would get no points if we would use American words/spelling/etc.
And rightfully so. I hate how we Americans have so completely destroyed the language.

What are you talking about? American English is closer to the original anyways according to language scholars, and even if it wasn't what is destructive about not having a u in color?
I think he is complaining about colloquialisms.
Indeed. I also think that American literature is far inferior to British literature. Of course, this is a different subject entirely.

What colloquialisms?
Colloquialism: A word or phrase that is not formal or literary, typically one used in ordinary or familiar conversation.

Here

There's just something about American slang which annoys me. Call me somewhat of a linguistic purist.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:35:28 PM by Severian »
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" -Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15573 on: May 21, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
"Elitist" would be more appropriate.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15574 on: May 21, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
"Elitist" would be more appropriate.

The world wants speak American. Englandan was not spoken well by an Englishman, save a few. Englandan was always finest in the mouths and on the pens of those who hated the country which lent its name to the words they spoke and wrote.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #15575 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53:41 PM »
So it appears that all of my half-cousins from my father's half sister absolutely despise me and my family because our grandpa left their grandma for my grandma and they think that he's the perfect grandpa who spoils us rotten all the while ignoring them. That's bogus. The man is the most selfish, lazy detached guy in the world who forgets our names half the time.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15576 on: May 22, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »
So it appears that all of my half-cousins from my father's half sister absolutely despise me and my family because our grandpa left their grandma for my grandma and they think that he's the perfect grandpa who spoils us rotten all the while ignoring them. That's bogus. The man is the most selfish, lazy detached guy in the world who forgets our names half the time.

I was so thinking this was going to end all herzschmerz about not being able to go on that date with all your half-cousins to the movies.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:08:43 AM by orthonorm »
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #15577 on: May 22, 2013, 12:11:12 AM »
In English lessons I was always taught to use British English. American English was reviled by the teachers as a barbaric variant of proper, British English. We would get no points if we would use American words/spelling/etc.
And rightfully so. I hate how we Americans have so completely destroyed the language.

What are you talking about? American English is closer to the original anyways according to language scholars, and even if it wasn't what is destructive about not having a u in color?
I think he is complaining about colloquialisms.
Indeed. I also think that American literature is far inferior to British literature. Of course, this is a different subject entirely.

What colloquialisms?
Colloquialism: A word or phrase that is not formal or literary, typically one used in ordinary or familiar conversation.

Here

There's just something about American slang which annoys me. Call me somewhat of a linguistic purist.

I know what a colloquialism. I was asking which ones you dislike that Britons apparently don't have in your romanticized view.
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #15578 on: May 23, 2013, 12:29:32 AM »
I have never been so offended in my life. One of my extended friends is having a huge party for her 18th birthday next month and I wasn't invited even though she invited my two closest friends :( This is horrible. This would have been my first ever party. I thought that I would finally get to make a fool out of myself and have fun indulging in youthful shenanigans like the youth in Cyrillic's country. But alas, now I'll be stuck at home being boring  :'(

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15579 on: May 23, 2013, 12:40:57 AM »
I have never been so offended in my life. One of my extended friends is having a huge party for her 18th birthday next month and I wasn't invited even though she invited my two closest friends :( This is horrible. This would have been my first ever party. I thought that I would finally get to make a fool out of myself and have fun indulging in youthful shenanigans like the youth in Cyrillic's country. But alas, now I'll be stuck at home being boring  :'(

Don't worry, I'm sure you've been saved from all manner of debauchery. ;)

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #15580 on: May 23, 2013, 03:48:55 AM »

Uhh, I'm sorry, James. Are you sure, she didn't forgot?
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Φέρ' ὕδωρ φέρ' οἶνον, ὦ παῖ!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #15581 on: May 23, 2013, 03:51:17 AM »

No worries, dr. prof. Cyrillic, PhD in Partyology has arrived to help you out.

You might not have expected it, but I'm an expert in and veteran of wild parties. Like the Homeric Proteus I shapeshift to become all kinds of persons. Now, I know what you should do, having been in that situation once or twice and seeing many others who were in the same situation. You should call those friends and ask to meet up that night and you should go to the party together. You should take a bottle of vodka (optional) with you. Now when you're in front of the door with your friends and she sees the vodka she'll either say nothing or that she's happy that you're here. Even if she wouldn't want you she can't refuse you with those two friends there.

Party crashing is an ancient and venerable tradition. On the Symposium of Agathon where Socrates was present even the illustrous and famous general Alcibiades party crashed, and he was drunk. You shouldn't be too drunk when you arrive so that's fine.

I'd be disappointed if you wouldn't follow my advice. Go for it, young man  :angel:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:56:06 AM by Cyrillic »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

νίκας τοῖς Βασιλεῦσι κατὰ βαρβάρων δωρούμενος

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #15582 on: May 23, 2013, 04:18:22 AM »

No worries, dr. prof. Cyrillic, PhD in Partyology has arrived to help you out.

You might not have expected it, but I'm an expert in and veteran of wild parties. Like the Homeric Proteus I shapeshift to become all kinds of persons. Now, I know what you should do, having been in that situation once or twice and seeing many others who were in the same situation. You should call those friends and ask to meet up that night and you should go to the party together. You should take a bottle of vodka (optional) with you. Now when you're in front of the door with your friends and she sees the vodka she'll either say nothing or that she's happy that you're here. Even if she wouldn't want you she can't refuse you with those two friends there.

Party crashing is an ancient and venerable tradition. On the Symposium of Agathon where Socrates was present even the illustrous and famous general Alcibiades party crashed, and he was drunk. You shouldn't be too drunk when you arrive so that's fine.

I'd be disappointed if you wouldn't follow my advice. Go for it, young man  :angel:

Cyrillic, have I ever commented on how awesome you are?
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline ambatzoglou

« Reply #15583 on: May 23, 2013, 07:30:57 AM »
If it's family, it's fair game. You don't need an invite.

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15584 on: May 24, 2013, 07:21:06 AM »
It's May 25th and 42 degrees Fahrenheid. Did anyone say global warming?

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #15585 on: May 24, 2013, 07:21:59 AM »
Someone called me a foolish vassal, can someone come up with a witty retort for me? Thanks.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15586 on: May 24, 2013, 07:25:18 AM »
Someone called me a foolish vassal, can someone come up with a witty retort for me? Thanks.

What about petty knave?

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15587 on: May 24, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »
Cyrillic, have I ever commented on how awesome you are?

:)

If it's family, it's fair game. You don't need an invite.

Nay, you don't ever need invites. Well, sometimes you do but James' situation is not one of those situations.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:52:47 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #15588 on: May 24, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »

What about petty knave?
Ok he meant to say foolish varlot.

You got something for that now?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #15589 on: May 24, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »

What about petty knave?

Clearly the proper response to this insult is to call him a whoreson malt-horse drudge. (from Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare)
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #15590 on: May 24, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »
Or jackanape. That's still pretty good.

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15591 on: May 24, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
"Rabbit-sucker" is superior to all these.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #15592 on: May 24, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »
"Rabbit-sucker" is superior to all these.

Nay, ye feckless barnacle. More of your conversation would infect my brain.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:28:21 PM by TheTrisagion »

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #15593 on: May 24, 2013, 06:27:38 PM »
You know what? I'm going to listen to Cyrillic and crash that party no matter what. I'm not missing out on the only opportunity I've ever had to attend a High-School party and learn how to have fun. What type of sinful temptations should I expect to encounter so I could prepare to turn them down?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #15594 on: May 24, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
You know what? I'm going to listen to Cyrillic and crash that party no matter what. I'm not missing out on the only opportunity I've ever had to attend a High-School party and learn how to have fun. What type of sinful temptations should I expect to encounter so I could prepare to turn them down?

Have a good time and try not to have compromising pictures of you posted on Instagram.   :)

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15595 on: May 24, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
you should only turn down those temptations that aren't serious.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #15596 on: May 24, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »

Do it.  If nothing else, you will have a great story.

If you are going to a party, I think the whole point to to wallow in the temptations. j/k

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • The Most Blessed Tikhon: Last Among Equals
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #15597 on: May 24, 2013, 08:16:56 PM »

I don't know why, but when I read this and your first post about the party, this scene immediately comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjio-F47IfM
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15598 on: May 24, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »

What about petty knave?

Clearly the proper response to this insult is to call him a whoreson malt-horse drudge. (from Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare)
I would thank him sincerely and walk away leaving him confused.

Offline Tommelomsky

• Podvig
  • Elder
  • Glory to God in all things!
    • Russian Orthodox Church in Norway
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROC
« Reply #15599 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:40 PM »
A friend told me this would be a lonely journey. He was right. But: I was prepared for it too.
The thing is: I am never alone and that is a comfort. The comfort.

+ Glory to God in all things! +
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:39:12 PM by Tommelomsky »
The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15600 on: May 24, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »
Bean sprouts are delicious!!!

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #15601 on: May 25, 2013, 01:29:08 AM »
So could I get at least a little bit of alcohol, drunk girls flashing and late night vandalism of private property and dismiss it as the "sins of my youth" or do I have to resist it altogether?

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • The Most Blessed Tikhon: Last Among Equals
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #15602 on: May 25, 2013, 01:48:29 AM »
So could I get at least a little bit of alcohol, drunk girls flashing and late night vandalism of private property and dismiss it as the "sins of my youth" or do I have to resist it altogether?

If that's the type of question you're going to ask, I find it funny that you'd limit yourself to "a little bit of alcohol" and "flashing".   

"Sins of one's youth"...
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline Kerdy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #15603 on: May 25, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
You already know the answer or you would not have asked.

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15604 on: May 25, 2013, 06:20:51 AM »
So could I get at least a little bit of alcohol

Try not to barf all over the place. Vandalism and orgies are a no-no.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:30:53 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15605 on: May 25, 2013, 07:09:54 AM »

Have a good time and try not to have compromising pictures of you posted on Instagram.   :)

And avoid trampolines at all costs :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:12:53 AM by Cyrillic »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #15606 on: May 25, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »
So I started using this Colgate Optic White toothpaste and toothbrush, and my lower gums are inflamed from it. Must be that hydrogen peroxide.

I think I'm going to stop using it. And that 360 brush is pretty harsh too.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15607 on: May 25, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
So I started using this Colgate Optic White toothpaste and toothbrush, and my lower gums are inflamed from it. Must be that hydrogen peroxide.

I strongly recommend not using most "whitening" toothpastes. Everyone can google. Achonos if you need more convincing, I'll tell you about it.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15608 on: May 25, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »

No, you are harsh.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #15609 on: May 25, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »

I strongly recommend not using most "whitening" toothpastes. Everyone can google. Achonos if you need more convincing, I'll tell you about it.
Can I just use basic Colgate or Crest?

Ain't it all just the same thing in a different tube?

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #15610 on: May 25, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »

No, you are harsh.
These bristles are some of the stiffest I have ever used. It's really aggravating my lower gums, I think. Ok yeah I'm a little harsh I guess...

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15611 on: May 25, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »

No, you are harsh.
These bristles are some of the stiffest I have ever used. It's really aggravating my lower gums, I think. Ok yeah I'm a little harsh I guess...

I am not familiar with the brush. Soft is better if only cause to many people brush to hard.

Next topic of discussion: oral hygiene.

If only I had practiced what I preached! Can't wait.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #15612 on: May 25, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
Is brushing 3 times a day overbrushing?

What's your take on floss?

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15613 on: May 25, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »

I brush twice a day at best

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #15614 on: May 25, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »

What's your take on floss?

Floss > brushing. To my dismay. Since I really didn't do much of either, but the flossing got me in the end.

In short, floss properly twice a day. Brush when you feel like it, but remember why you are brushing, it is a broader form of flossing really. Its to remove debris, but more importantly introduce oxygen into the gum line. Flossing gets most of this done. Once you understand you are really brush where your teeth meet each other and the gums, it should change how you brush.

Brushing feels better but not as effective. If I had flossed once a day, I wouldn't be dealing with what I am now. Not brushing hardly ever till I was an adult did almost nothing.

Brushing should be done with almost no force applied expect to make contact with the teeth and gums. And then while attempting the impossible feat of trying to keep the tips of the bristles in place you move the brush back and forth. This action removes debris and gets into the gum line. Wildly brushing does almost nothing.

Electronic brushes if they are more effective are only so because you can just barely touch them to your teeth and then they take care of the rest.

Back and forth, reset the head on the next part of the mouth, do it again.

I should probably get an electronic brush, as even I go a little too hard, and I barely apply any pressure.

One piece of sage brushing advice if you don't do it already:

When doing you lower teeth in the front, pull your lip far down. People get a lot of gum irritation at the dentist office in this area, because when they brush an involuntary muscle contraction happen which effectively moves the gum line up. Pulling the lip down mitigates this and you are able to more effectively condition the gums in that area.

From the halls of consumer research to you.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:26:19 PM by orthonorm »